• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Question... How would I hook up my headphones to a PS3?

I'm thinking of moving the PS3 to my computer room. I would like to play my huge PS3 backlog using computer monitor. But how would I get the audio? My monitor doesn't have audio out ports or speakers.

Any suggestions?

Septimius

Question... How would I hook up my headphones to a PS3?

I'm thinking of moving the PS3 to my computer room. I would like to play my huge PS3 backlog using computer monitor. But how would I get the audio? My monitor doesn't have audio out ports or speakers.

Any suggestions?

You basically have two possibilities. PS-composite cable to use the RCA audio, or optical. The FiiO E17 has input for optical. It's easy to acquire something that lets you go RCA -> minijack, so if you have anything that accepts audio in, then you're set. Depends on what you wish to do. You could invest in a FiiO E17 and cover all your headphone amp needs for basically ever, or you could go for the cheap USB audio dongle that OdysseusVA posted.

HiResDes

Any others that wouldn't be Sony? From the reviews it seems to have durability issues

EDIT: decided to go with the MDR-55's instead
I don't know I've read the cable is thin but flexible and the strain reliefs are decent. It also supposedly sounds even more balanced than the V6.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm going to buy my new headphones next month, and was leaning towards the Sennheiser Momentums, the only thing is the CNET review mentions they lose a bit of comfort over long sessions, which is what I dislike about my V-MODA M80s...

Anyone have these with another opinion on comfort? Should I look at another brand for something more comfortable for long listening?

I'm going to pull the trigger in the next day or so on some Vsonic VC1000's as recommended by this thread and Des. I have a few follow up questions before I do though just to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I already have a pair of S4i's, which I like and will likely turn into my in ears for cutting the grass and that kind of stuff. I'm hoping the VC1000's would offer more clarity than the S4i's while still keeping some bass (doesn't need to be super bassy). I would be using them to listen to all genre's of music for the most part (on an iPhone or MacBook), and the occasional movie or tv show on my iPad. Thanks in advance for your help.

HiResDes

I'm going to pull the trigger in the next day or so on some Vsonic VC1000's as recommended by this thread and Des. I have a few follow up questions before I do though just to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I already have a pair of S4i's, which I like and will likely turn into my in ears for cutting the grass and that kind of stuff. I'm hoping the VC1000's would offer more clarity than the S4i's. I would be using them to listen to all genre's of music for the most part (on an iPhone or MacBook), and the occasional movie or tv show on my iPad. Thanks in advance for your help.

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/vsonic-vc1000/

I actually got an email from my friend Music_4321 about the Zero Audio Tenore today. I think it clocks in at $60-70. He's pitted it against his FIBASS, and the hilariously expensive and limited production FAD LAB I and says it outperforms the FIBASS and he prefers the LAB I by a narrow margin. He says it's better than Sennheiser's IE800 as well (better sub bass quantity/no piercing highs, not prone to congestion).

ShotgunShane turned Music onto the Tenore and SGS in turn, thinks the Tenore is more linear than the Ostry, who my friend Eke_2k6 seems to think is on a par with stuff like the 1plus2/K3003. All this paints a pretty fuckin glowing picture of the Tenore so I'm gonna order them pronto cause ol' Muzak's got some pretty good ears

And then there was Des wondering if the SE846 was worth it with shit like the KEF200 around LOL

Hey folks, I have a question for ya. Are there any particular recommendations for over-ear headphones that are not too far above $100 that are really durable and good with sound isolation? I've had them for years, but my pair of Sennheiser HD 280's finally gave up the ghost recently and they really took a pounding over the years, (lots of back and forth from work and daily usage) headband just finally cracked a second time, plastic cover material is all flaking off the ear cups and whatnot. Figure that I should possibly go with something more durable this time so that it can take the beatings. I don't know that I'm too picky about sound but I use them in the office, so I need to keep my music in and outside sounds out.

HiResDes

Hey folks, I have a question for ya. Are there any particular recommendations for over-ear headphones that are not too far above $100 that are really durable and good with sound isolation? I've had them for years, but my pair of Sennheiser HD 280's finally gave up the ghost recently and they really took a pounding over the years, (lots of back and forth from work and daily usage) headband just finally cracked a second time, plastic cover material is all flaking off the ear cups and whatnot. Figure that I should possibly go with something more durable this time so that it can take the beatings. I don't know that I'm too picky about sound but I use them in the office, so I need to keep my music in and outside sounds out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093PVTPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

...@DRM, I've heard great things about the Tenore and Carbo Basso

Ryne

Got the Sennheisers over ear momentums along with a pair of bose SIE2i for working out. Both are great so far, thanks a lot

I'm looking for some advice on buying a headset for my Astro Mixamp Pro (2011 edition or something?).

I was using the Astro 40s with it, but it seems I broke one of the cables as the left speaker is dead apart from getting sound when twisting the cable of the headphone itself to a certain angle.
I'm from Germany, so shipping + the repair (expired warranty) is probably not that cheap.

But I was thinking I could use the opportunity to upgrade to a better sound quality. I felt the Astro 40s were quite nice, even in bass area, but in some moments sound quality was lacking (could also be from the Dolby Headphone conversion?).

Basically, are there any better options than the Sennheiser HD 558 in that price range? Are those even considerably better than the Astro 40s? Is the higher price of the (imo ugly) HD 598 worth it?

I'm looking for:
- good quality surround sound in games and movies (the latter was really lacking with the Astros, but maybe it's actually because of the Mixamp, is it outdated by now?)
I'm not using them for anything else like listening to music.
- sound good with the Mixamp Pro and have preferably a stronger bass than the Astros
- good outside noise blocking in case of loud neighbors etc.
- I'm using it mainly on PS4&PS3 and only some usage with my laptop.
- I don't need a mic as I'm using the PS camera for chat/voice commands
- <170&#8364;

Any input welcome, thanks.

Jzero

Have any of you tried headphones with ViviTouch 4D? There's not many to choose from but the concept seems cool.

vulva

So since moving in to my apartment the walls are a bit thin. I like falling asleep watching shows or movies etc, but I noticed that my ear adjustment section of my headphones cracked and is separating.

Is this something I just have to expect to happen from doing this or is there a better option? I sleep on my side so I'll usually have a headphone over my right ear and slide the left headphone to the front of my head so it doesn't impact the side of my head from being comfortable.

Also, because of this, I'm thinking about buy a new pair in general since they're looking pretty damaged now.

I'm currently using the Jaycar rebrands, as were suggested to me in this thread earlier. If someone has a suggestion for another reasonably priced headphone that is very comfortable and possibly very durable, please let me know. Also, I live in Canada so that's probably a factor in finding a reasonably priced pair that meets my needs.

HiResDes

I wouldn't sleep with headphones...IEMs would be a better choice, not many headphones are going to be able to withstand the pressure of you laying on them over and over.

Mononoke

Banned
Recently got the HD-700s. Damn, these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. The earpads are shaped to your ears, and the material just melts on your head. The sound is pretty close to the HD-800 too! Was able to get a brand new model for $650 (through a friend), so the price was right as well. As someone that's owned the HD-600, 650 and 800 before, this is a pretty great compromise between the models.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Probably shitty but I ordered them anyways.

EBay Daily Deal has these

Vibe Sound DJ Style Soft Touch Vintage Design Headphones w/ 3.5mm Connection

$_3.JPG

$50 MSRP for $5 free shipping. Ordered them just cause they were cheap.

HiResDes

Recently got the HD-700s. Damn, these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. The earpads are shaped to your ears, and the material just melts on your head. The sound is pretty close to the HD-800 too! Was able to get a brand new model for $650 (through a friend), so the price was right as well. As someone that's owned the HD-600, 650 and 800 before, this is a pretty great compromise between the models.
Are they more warm like the 650 or clinical like the 800?

BTW I think the 700 and 800 are probably two of the nicest headphones in earth, in my top ten

MrBig

Ended up getting the X1s, after a week of listening I'm quite happy with them. To my untrained ears there isn't a resolute difference between these and my M50s in terms of sound quality, but the open design does give it a nicer feel. The comfort is also quite fantastic, with the M50s I always felt like they were clamping my head and had to take them off after a few hours due to fatigue, though the area of irritation was generally the top and sides of my head and not the ears as they fit snuggly in the cups. The separated support band on the X1s seems to have alleviated any sense of fatigue, I found myself even forgetting I was wearing them at times, and the nice foam/velour pads aren't clingy like the pleather pads of the M50 (which I finally replaced with velour pads only last month).

I'm thinking I'll keep the M50s rather than selling or giving them away, they still sound good to me and I think it'll be nice to have cans that I don't necessarily have to baby. They lasted well over three years and are still in good condition, and are also more portable due to the folding design.

An issue I noticed with the velour pads of the X1 is that what I assume is the dye used on them wears off, not on my skin but on the surface of the table I laid them down on. I thoroughly cleaned the table surface and didn't observe any change in behavior, so I looked into getting a headphone stand. I didn't like anything I found in the price range I was willing to spend, but last night I realized my fan seems to do the job very well. Will probably stick with this until I design and build my own.

ywJPxzf.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Been a couple weeks since I got my P7s and they're still blowing me away, no matter what I listen to. Total sonic euphoria.

Mononoke

Banned
Are they more warm like the 650 or clinical like the 800?

BTW I think the 700 and 800 are probably two of the nicest headphones in earth, in my top ten

They are definitely more clinical like the 800, with a much bigger soundstage than the 650. But I also think they are slightly warmer than the 800. Basically, the trade off is that the 800 are still king when it comes to soundstage and precision (in the Sennheiser line), but the 700 comes very close to the 800 in these qualities, and has a little bit more warmth and bass closer to the 650 (they lean more towards it, but to be clear they aren't close to the same). That said, I'm using a tube amp + I mess around with my DAC/mix settings, so I have the 700 in a perfect spot for me.

Personally, I think the 700s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. The HD-800s were also really comfortable. But the 700's ear pads are actually shaped like your ears, and sit around them at an angle. Not to use hyperbole, but they really just melt on your head, it's incredible. So all in all, I would give my nod to the 700. If you can get the 700 for cheap like I did, then it makes value of the 700 that much better (in comparison to the price of 800 and how close they are to each other). Basically, they come close to the 800s sound quality + are more comfortable. And I personally prefer the warmer qualities (even if they are little). I'll take that trade off.

I actually think the 700s will get a price drop eventually. The $900 price tag is a bit too high. You can actually get the 700s on Amazon right now for $550 used. As any audiophile will tell you, a lot of audiophiles will buy headphones on Amazon and try them out for 30 days, and send them back if they don't like the sound signature. This gives them time to burn in the headphone, as well as see if the sound signature is to their liking. Amazon will then re-package them and sell them for cheap through their warehouse deals. My friend bought the 700s used on Amazon, and they were 100% brand new. No scratches or anything. IMO that's a steal, given they come close to the 800's in their capabilities.

You can see them here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070U8KSM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm using a pair of HD800s with a Schiit Bifrost Uber and a Vali and I've been happy with the results.

The Vali adds a little warmth to the HD800s and makes them sound less clinical.

I know I could spend more money and get a better amp to hear more of what makes the HD800 such an incredible headphone, but it's hard to complain when it sounds so good :)

Mononoke

Banned
I'm using a pair of HD800s with a Schiit Bifrost Uber and a Vali and I've been happy with the results.

The Vali adds a little warmth to the HD800s and makes them sound less clinical.

I know I could spend more money and get a better amp to hear more of what makes the HD800 such an incredible headphone, but it's hard to complain when it sounds so good :)

I have a Schiit Lyr Amp, and am thinking of upgrading my DAC to Bifrost (to combo it). I've heard nothing but great things about it. Also, while I personally think the 700s are more comfortable (but lol who am I kidding, HD-800s were the most comfortable headphones prior to me trying the 700s), the 800s are definitely still better headphones (having owned both). Your setup is amazing. I sold off the 800s at the time, because I didn't have the proper set up, and they were too harsh for me. Granted, at the time I wasn't as knowledgeable as I am now (with regards to Amps/Dacs and mixes). But when I decided to jump back into the higher tier Sennheisers again, I went with the 700s because my friend was able to get me them for $650 sealed with his employee discount. They were too good to pass up.

EDIT: I should also point out, I think the HD-800s look nicer than the 700s. The actual build quality is better too. I just like the form factor of the 700s (the comfort), but the 800s are much nicer looking, and have a better build quality (more premium).

Damn so tempting one day, but I'm going to level my setup first to maybe WA7

IMO leveling your setup is always more important. You can then upgrade cans around it. I've made the mistake of getting really expensive headphones before (see my reply above), and then not liking a headphone because I couldn't properly drive them or mess around with settings. I regret selling my HD-800s back in the day. I mean, I got my money back ( I actually sent them back to Amazon). But it's not every day you have that kind of money at once to spend on something like a headphone.

But when I decided to jump back into the higher tier Sennheisers again, I went with the 700s because my friend was able to get me them for $650 sealed with his employee discount. They were too good to pass up.

Damn, $650 is pretty good for those!

The only reason I decided to go for the 800s is because I knew I had a tax refund coming and I figured it would be the last pair of headphones I'd need to buy. My personal audio end-game, as it were.

We'll see how long that lasts, though!

cajunator

Banned
Ended up getting the X1s, after a week of listening I'm quite happy with them. To my untrained ears there isn't a resolute difference between these and my M50s in terms of sound quality, but the open design does give it a nicer feel. The comfort is also quite fantastic, with the M50s I always felt like they were clamping my head and had to take them off after a few hours due to fatigue, though the area of irritation was generally the top and sides of my head and not the ears as they fit snuggly in the cups. The separated support band on the X1s seems to have alleviated any sense of fatigue, I found myself even forgetting I was wearing them at times, and the nice foam/velour pads aren't clingy like the pleather pads of the M50 (which I finally replaced with velour pads only last month).

I'm thinking I'll keep the M50s rather than selling or giving them away, they still sound good to me and I think it'll be nice to have cans that I don't necessarily have to baby. They lasted well over three years and are still in good condition, and are also more portable due to the folding design.

An issue I noticed with the velour pads of the X1 is that what I assume is the dye used on them wears off, not on my skin but on the surface of the table I laid them down on. I thoroughly cleaned the table surface and didn't observe any change in behavior, so I looked into getting a headphone stand. I didn't like anything I found in the price range I was willing to spend, but last night I realized my fan seems to do the job very well. Will probably stick with this until I design and build my own.

ywJPxzf.jpg

Ive had these for a few months. Also noticed the dye thing. I thought something was leaking on my table. Other than that these are by far the most comfortable headphones Ive ever worn. If you wear headphones for extended time, these absolutely melt away and you dont even remember you have them on. No pressure on ears or the top of your head. They basically float. Soundwise Im no expert but they are clear and handle bass very well for open phones.
i took yall advice and swapped the cable for a cheap one and it did clear up the muddy sound. The stock cable is bad for this headphone. The build quality is very good. Several metal parts should be a lot more durable than the plastic armed stuff. valuewise Id say these are completely worth the money.

http://i.imgur.com/ywJPxzf.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Lol, we're headphone and lamp buddies.:P

Haven't had the dye issue. But maybe it's because don't wear them as much.

Mononoke

Banned
Damn, $650 is pretty good for those!

The only reason I decided to go for the 800s is because I knew I had a tax refund coming and I figured it would be the last pair of headphones I'd need to buy. My personal audio end-game, as it were.

We'll see how long that lasts, though!

Heh. The sickness of being an audiophile is not knowing when to stop. But I can honestly tell you I've been in the hobby for 10 + years now, and have tried everything from a $60 Grado to a $4,000 STAX, and IMO HD-800s is definitely an end-game rig. I know it's all personal preference, but I always came back to the Sennheiser line. My favorite cans were the HD-600 and 650. So having tried everything, I really do think when the HD-800 is paired with a killer set up, it's really the best of the best.

I'm at a point where I know what I want. I've already tried the grass on the other side, and know what is best for me. So for now, HD-700 will definitely be an end-game thing for me. I'm just going to upgrade my DAC and be content. Maybe later down the line I'll upgrade the amp/dac + the HD-800 (or if Sennheiser comes out with another flagship that is better than 800). But I at least know I'm settling into.

Also, there is no shame in spending that kind of money on your set up. I would have done the same thing in a heartbeat. :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So a friend of mine listened to my Sennheiner Amperiors and fell in love, but he said his budget can't break 100 bucks. What can you guys recommend?

Mononoke

Banned
So a friend of mine listened to my Sennheiner Amperiors and fell in love, but he said his budget can't break 100 bucks. What can you guys recommend?

The Sony MDR7506 are classics. Only $84. I still know people that use these in studio for mixing etc.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

TH-M50S are probably the most recommended headphones for $120 and under. They are great introduction headphones, and just great all around headphones in general. IN terms of sound, they really are just balanced. Basically, it doesn't do anything spectacular, but it does everything well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZG9TMA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know it's over $100, but eh. Only $20 more than what his budget is.

Grado SR-60s are also well liked. But they aren't very comfortable. I haven't heard one in a long time (one of the first cans I bought), but I think they are more treble heavy. So people love these for fast music (like Metal etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006DPMU4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These are only $79. But like I said, the built quality isn't so hot, and they aren't the most comfortable things. But Grado are pretty well liked and respected.

Hey there, audioGaf.

I'm looking for some nice wireless pc headphones. Main use will be for gaming, secondary to watch movies when my special one is sleeping. Budget: around 200$, plus or less.

Now some questions: I've heard that, even if I want suround, I should rather go for high quality stereo rahter than multi speaker 5.1/7.1 headphones. Is that right?
My mobo is a msi z87-g45 gaming, wich has onboard audioboost and offers sbx studio pro/sound blaster cinema: will that be enough to get suround sound in my stereo headphones?

Thanks.

Beatrix

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a headphone stand. I didn't like the options Amazon had because I felt they were all way overpriced and not the style I like. Would a banana hanger be an good consideration? Any suggestions are appreciated!

garath

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a headphone stand. I didn't like the options Amazon had because I felt they were all way overpriced and not the style I like. Would a banana hanger be an good consideration? Any suggestions are appreciated!

This has been recommended as a great headphone stand to me:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009J5NUY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I ended up paying for the overpriced senneiser clamp hook because it fit my needs perfect. I don't have the desk space for a on the desk stand, the clamp on the side was what I needed.

Honey Bunny

The Sony MDR7506 are classics. Only $84. I still know people that use these in studio for mixing etc.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

TH-M50S are probably the most recommended headphones for $120 and under. They are great introduction headphones, and just great all around headphones in general. IN terms of sound, they really are just balanced. Basically, it doesn't do anything spectacular, but it does everything well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZG9TMA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know it's over $100, but eh. Only $20 more than what his budget is.

Grado SR-60s are also well liked. But they aren't very comfortable. I haven't heard one in a long time (one of the first cans I bought), but I think they are more treble heavy. So people love these for fast music (like Metal etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006DPMU4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These are only $79. But like I said, the built quality isn't so hot, and they aren't the most comfortable things. But Grado are pretty well liked and respected.

Balanced? Are m50s not bass-heavy?

Hey there, audioGaf.

I'm looking for some nice wireless pc headphones. Main use will be for gaming, secondary to watch movies when my special one is sleeping. Budget: around 200$, plus or less.

Now some questions: I've heard that, even if I want suround, I should rather go for high quality stereo rahter than multi speaker 5.1/7.1 headphones. Is that right?
My mobo is a msi z87-g45 gaming, wich has onboard audioboost and offers sbx studio pro/sound blaster cinema: will that be enough to get suround sound in my stereo headphones?

Thanks.
Ok guys, allow me to insist a bit on my query.
Based on my needs, I'm now looking at the Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega Wireless. Is it a sensible choice, based on my needs and specs, or are there better alternatives? (again, I wonder if my mobo integrated audio-boost is enough of a sound card).

HiResDes

Ok guys, allow me to insist a bit on my query.
Based on my needs, I'm now looking at the Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega Wireless. Is it a sensible choice, based on my needs and specs, or are there better alternatives? (again, I wonder if my mobo integrated audio-boost is enough of a sound card).
Surround sound headphones are kind of a gimmick. Headphones can have fantastic soundstage but don't expect them to be able to emulate the same arena as say a decent quality 7.1 speaker setup. I'd recommend just coping some AD700 and an ASTRO mix amp...

Volotaire

Hi Headphone GAF, I'm in need of some quality IEM earphones (although my budget is spread thin). My budget is about £30-35 and I would preferably like to purchase this within the next day or two. Also, it would be preferable to have them in the colour black.

I have no clue where to start really , so I was hoping you'd have some suggestions.
Thanks.

EDIT: It seems a lot of the earphones aren't readily available or even available in the UK on the low budget end of the list. These are the ones I have picked out at the moment that seem within budget and that I've heard about.

-Sony XBA1 (£25)
-Soundmagic E10/PL30/E30/EH11 earphones (£25-40)
-HiSoundAudio Crystal (£40)
- SENNHEISER CX 475 (£20)
- RHA MA450i (£40)

HiResDes

How would you compare them to the Soundmagic E10's. It looks like it is a popular choice among the 'top budget earphones' lists.

Thanks for the reply!

Their sound signatures are quite similar, but I think the Cystals are wholly superior because the bass seems to get just as low while sporting better control, and possibly as a result offering better clarity. They also sound a hair airier than the E10, which are still a good budget set, but the Crystals just edge them out in every regard...They are also extremely comfortable and ergonomic.

...Haven't heard them, but I always recommend people try out new sets so we can get first hand impressions though

...If I were going to spend that much though I'd definitely shoot for the Fidue A63, Ostry KC06, or Zero Audio Tenore, which are garnering incredible reviews.

Volotaire

Their sound signatures are quite similar, but I think the Cystals are wholly superior because the bass seems to get just as low while sporting better control, and possibly as a result offering better clarity. They also sound a hair airier than the E10, which are still a good budget set, but the Crystals just edge them out in every regard...They are also extremely comfortable and ergonomic.

...Haven't heard them, but I always recommend people try out new sets so we can get first hand impressions though

...If I were going to spend that much though I'd definitely shoot for the Fidue A63, Ostry KC06, or Carbo Basso Tenore, which are garnering incredible reviews.

Cool thanks for your advice.

Top Bottom