• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Way back around the 500th post I said I ordered the LCD-2s. No one even mentioned it :|

The ordering process is a bit odd. You basically just send them an email through their web form and then they send you an email to confirm. It says they will contact after they are built for shipping and payment details. So I haven't really heard anything from them in about a month. The backlog must be pretty big.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wormdundee said:
Way back around the 500th post I said I ordered the LCD-2s. No one even mentioned it :|

The ordering process is a bit odd. You basically just send them an email through their web form and then they send you an email to confirm. It says they will contact after they are built for shipping and payment details. So I haven't really heard anything from them in about a month. The backlog must be pretty big.
People that are getting their order confirmations now are saying they ordered 7 weeks ago. It's going to be a long wait. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
I borrowed a pair of HD600 from a guy at work. Not feeling them at all. I don't really hear anything that says these are very good headphones.

They don't feel very transparent. The mid-bass overwhelms vocals like crazy. There is almost no imaging quality at all.

They feel very overshadowed by my AKG 702, which sound far better in comparison. The only nod I can give to the HD600 is that they're not very fatiguing.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally sold my HK 3490 and P152's so I'm going back to a headphone-only setup. I've still got my AD700's but soon I plan to pick up some Beyerdynamics (closed and bassy). I've owned nothing but Audio Technicas so it's going to be fun trying a new company.

.hacked

got a pair of Sennheiser RS 170s, got tired of my dogs yanking the cord loose while I was playing games. Best wireless headphone I have ever used, much better then the Sony ones I had a few years ago.

Played dead space 2 all afternoon, scary stuff.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, my Grados are in town out for delivery already. My amp is estimated for friday and the DAC "left seller facility and is in transit" last night at 9, both of those are USPS.

It's possible I won't have all 3 till monday, though I can be hopeful that the DAC will get here saturday. Should I give the cans a good poorly-driven listen, or just use these couple days to burn them in?

Dice

To be fair, they traveled less than 200 miles, but this is still the first time supersaver shipping has only taken 2 days. The other two are traveling 2000 and 1200 miles...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Instead of getting the beyers, I got some HD 555's from an authorized sennheiser dealer on amazon for $48. As soon as I get them I'm going to do the HD 595 mod. I've never heard Sennheiser's before so I can't wait to try them out. :)

Dice

celcius said:
Instead of getting the beyers, I got some HD 555's from an authorized sennheiser dealer on amazon for $48. As soon as I get them I'm going to do the HD 595 mod. I've never heard Sennheiser's before so I can't wait to try them out. :)
Expect open sound and you should be aware of this:

5ZUzZ.png

It is very noticeable. I still like mine, though, and $48 is an awesome deal. The open sound and soft everything until sweet highs makes them awesome for low-volume listening over some hours, and they are extremely comfy for it. However, they aren't clear and engaging enough for "fun" listening on the short term as far as I'm concerned. Other than the 100hz mess and the large presentation differences, they seem similar in frequency response.

Ktx37.png

Edit: My grados are here! Weeee!

Obviously they are like ice cubes from being in the back of a truck, so I'll let them warm up first, but the fit is nice. I have a small head so a lot of comfort complaints often don't apply to me.

Barrett2

I want to get headphones i can use for gaming, but also occassionally with my iPod. I don't care about having a headset mic attachment, and would like to avoid a 'for gamers' set as a result. What's good in the < $200-ish range for headphones and something to connect it to my console?

HiResDes

lawblob said:
I want to get headphones i can use for gaming, but also occassionally with my iPod. I don't care about having a headset mic attachment, and would like to avoid a 'for gamers' set as a result. What's good in the < $200-ish range for headphones and something to connect it to my console?

Maybe the Ultrasone HFI-580 or the Phiaton PS500

If you're willing to go open, maybe try the ATH-AD700

Dice

Woooow! I listened to a few songs on them and it was soooo much better.

Kara - Secretly, Secretly The bass on this always had so much pressure it gave me a headache and drowned out everything else, but on these it's tight, has more extension, doesn't fatigue, and everything else is still very clear and well separated.

T-ara - Why are you being like this? Amazing. I thought it was nice before but on these it's like every sound is a separate instrument and they are all dancing around you. These are sooo perfect for kpop. I wonder how much better they'll get when properly sourced, amped, and burned in.

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan Had to test some acoustic. The liveliness applies every bit as much and even more than with digital instruments. What was good for separation is also good for proper representation of the fluctuating vibrations of strings and dynamics of air through a trumpet. This was always a brilliant recording in terms of soundstage and it really shows off the 325s quality over the 555s.

Man, I am very happy even with mediocre equipment behind them and I'm excited to see how good they can be when setup is perfect.

TheExodu5

Banned
HiResDes said:
Maybe the Ultrasone HFI-580 or the Phiaton PS500

If you're willing to go open, maybe try the ATH-AD700
The HFI sound amazing for games, but sadly they're not the most comfortable headphones an will feel heavy and clampy after an hour or two of listening.

The AD700 seem like a great option for quality and comfort, but a few people I've heard from are bothered by their lack of bass.

If anyone here has the HFI-580, do yourself a favor an try them on Battlefield Bad Company 2, with the audio set to Hi-Fi (not headphones). What an absolute treat.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dreams-Visions said:
They didn't give you any kind of tracking order?
It's said this since last Friday:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 04, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

When I called, the desk guy seemed unsure, and said they must've shipped out yesterday or today.... wtf :/

LCfiner

lawblob said:

AD700 would be great for a console but would suck for the ipod (if you're using it out of the house) because the cord is looooong and rather thick. plus the cans are enormous on your head.

K.Jack said:
It's said this since last Friday:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 04, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

When I called, the desk guy seemed unsure, and said they must've shipped out yesterday or today.... wtf :/
disrespectful.

HiResDes

LCfiner said:
AD700 would be great for a console but would suck for the ipod (if you're using it out of the house) because the cord is looooong and rather thick. plus the cans are enormous on your head.

Hmm....SRH-750 DJ's maybe then

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
lawblob said:

AD700 are your best bet for gaming. Not so sure about iPod. I use mine primarily for music, and they sound great (unless it's hip-hop - then they suck). They are also massive and open-back, so you can't really take these around anywhere.

CHOOSE WISELY

K.Jack

Dreams-Visions said:
disrespectful.
I kinda felt that way, but decided to play it off, since I just got home from work. But check what I discovered, just now:

I last posted in the Head-Fi TMA-1 thread, on 2/3/11, the day I ordered. On 2/6/11, there's a post from a Dijital Fix employee....
antiautomation said:
We're having a sale on the TMA-1s through Monday. If you're interested in a pair, you can pick them up for $150 until 11:59PM EST. Free shipping in the U.S.A. and at-cost shipping to anywhere else.

http://www.dijitalfix.com/store/AIA-TMA-1.html
The fuck? Am I being trolled here? If mine just shipped yesterday or today, I sure as shit want that $50 discount.

HiResDes

The Eterna Rev. 1's are on sale too now, a few days after mine shipped after waiting five weeks for them to get in stock...: ( I'm never doing business with them again.

TheExodu5

Banned
I thought I might have a second listen to the P5's to see if I would change my mind. Nope. My opinion of them is even worse now. Possibly the worst headphones I have listened to. I have never heard such colored headphones before. I would take Bose Triports over these any day of the week.

KSC 75's kick the P5's ass, and badly. I don't know how anyone is giving these an even remotely favorable review.

Also, while there is more bass on the P5's, it's really, really bad. It's the most uncontrolled bass I have heard. I think the sound is akin to someone driving an 88 Civic with a cheap subwoofer in the trunk at full blast.

K.Jack said:
I kinda felt that way, but decided to play it off, since I just got home from work. But check what I discovered, just now:

I last posted in the Head-Fi TMA-1 thread, on 2/3/11, the day I ordered. On 2/6/11, there's a post from a Dijital Fix employee....

The fuck? Am I being trolled here? If mine just shipped yesterday or today, I sure as shit want that $50 discount.
lol. damn.

also, @ $150, even I'm tempted and I sure as hell don't need them.

HiResDes

TheExodu5 said:
I thought I might have a second listen to the P5's to see if I would change my mind. Nope. My opinion of them is even worse now. Possibly the worst headphones I have listened to. I have never heard such colored headphones before. I would take Bose Triports over these any day of the week.

KSC 75's kick the P5's ass, and badly. I don't know how anyone is giving these an even remotely favorable review.

Also, while there is more bass on the P5's, it's really, really bad. It's the most uncontrolled bass I have heard. I think the sound is akin to someone driving an 88 Civic with a cheap subwoofer in the trunk at full blast.

I don't know man I think you've proven that bassy phones are not your thing, and that treble seems to be of a higher importance and so the P5's seems like a bad choice for you from the start.

TheExodu5

Banned
HiResDes said:
I don't know man I think you've proven that bassy phones are not your thing, and that treble seems to be of a higher importance and so the P5's seems like a bad choice for you from the start.

I love my HFI-580. I've come to appreciate the HD600 after listening to them more yesterday...I never disliked them, I just didn't like the lack of transparency...they otherwise sound fine. These just sound bad, plain and simple. I have never actually disliked a headphone before this point. =\

I'm almost lead to believe I must have gotten a defect of some kind. The treble rolloff is the most extreme I have ever heard in any headphone.

K.Jack

Dreams-Visions said:
lol. damn.
Oh well, now that I've relaxed from my day's work, I'm not quite as salty. Bitches best come off that Ulysses though.

In other news, the FiiO E11 will be a maximum of $60 and sports 180-200mW /Channels @ 16ohms.

Currently in the trial production.

K.Jack said:
Oh well, now that I've relaxed from my day's work, I'm not quite as salty. Bitches best come off that Ulysses though.

In other news, the FiiO E11 will be a maximum of $60 and sports 180-200mW /Channels @ 16ohms.

Currently in the trial production.
that's pretty damn awesome.

some months ago i bought a pair of seinneheiser cx150 for 20 euro. They sounded very good for their price, but, for some mysterious reasons, in the last days their sound became very low, and there is barely any bass.

what could have happened ?

Dilbert

I'm considering buying a pair of headphones specifically for work, but I have a couple of questions first. I have been using the stock iPhone earbuds with foam pads on them as my default work solution for a couple of reasons. I have a pair of IEMs, and they clearly sound much better than the earbuds. But I am interrupted CONSTANTLY by people stopping by, phone ringing, going to meetings, etc. Taking out the IEMs each time I'm interrupted and then reseating them for the best sound is a pain in the ass. The earbuds at least are easy to take in and out since they aren't picky about fit, and I can also hear people if the music is stopped even if the earbuds are in. The foam pads do slightly improve seal, comfort, and bass performance, although nothing earth-shattering. I have a pair of good full-size closed headphones at home, but I don't want to use them in the office since they kind of look ridiculous on my head. Comfort is also a factor since, although I get interrupted a lot, I do listen to music for 3-4 hours a day if all goes well. Finally, I'm somewhat price-sensitive since these would be an "extra" pair -- say, $50-100 as an ideal range.

It seems like the best compromise for my work situation would be a portable or small set of supraural or circumaural closed headphones. I can't go with open headphones since I have to keep my music to myself in the office environment. Headphones -- as contrasted to IEMs -- would also be easier to take off and put back on when I am interrupted. And I'm guessing that small/portable headphones would be in the price range that I'd be targeting, and also might be more comfortable for wearing over long periods of time. But, there also may be solutions that I haven't considered. So, the questions:

1) If I did want to go with portable headphones, what are the best options in that range? I used to have a pair of Sennheiser PX200s a long time ago, but I don't remember how they used to sound. Are they superior to the stock earbuds? How do they compare to full-size headphones? Are there other options in that price range that I should consider? Audio-Technica ATH-ES5? Wait for something more expensive to go on sale?

2) Some people draw a distinction between "IEM" and "canalbud" designs for earphones. The former are truly designed to go deep in the ear and form a tight seal; the latter is supposedly some kind of hybrid design where a seal is formed, but the positioning/seating of the earpiece is less fussy, like a true earbud. But then again, it might just be a clumsy way of distinguishing between shallow and deep insertion for IEMs. Is there anything to that distinction, or is any IEM design going to have basically the same issues?

3) I once tried a pair of supposedly superior earbuds, Audio-Technica CM700Ti. They were somewhat better-sounding than the stock earbuds, but they were heavy and somewhat uncomfortable to wear. Are there better/cheaper earbuds that exist now that might be worth looking into as an alternative? Or will all earbuds sound worse that over-the-ear or IEM-style headphones?

TheExodu5

Banned
Dilbert said:
I'm considering buying a pair of headphones specifically for work, but I have a couple of questions first. I have been using the stock iPhone earbuds with foam pads on them as my default work solution for a couple of reasons. I have a pair of IEMs, and they clearly sound much better than the earbuds. But I am interrupted CONSTANTLY by people stopping by, phone ringing, going to meetings, etc. Taking out the IEMs each time I'm interrupted and then reseating them for the best sound is a pain in the ass. The earbuds at least are easy to take in and out since they aren't picky about fit, and I can also hear people if the music is stopped even if the earbuds are in. The foam pads do slightly improve seal, comfort, and bass performance, although nothing earth-shattering. I have a pair of good full-size closed headphones at home, but I don't want to use them in the office since they kind of look ridiculous on my head. Comfort is also a factor since, although I get interrupted a lot, I do listen to music for 3-4 hours a day if all goes well. Finally, I'm somewhat price-sensitive since these would be an "extra" pair -- say, $50-100 as an ideal range.

It seems like the best compromise for my work situation would be a portable or small set of supraural or circumaural closed headphones. I can't go with open headphones since I have to keep my music to myself in the office environment. Headphones -- as contrasted to IEMs -- would also be easier to take off and put back on when I am interrupted. And I'm guessing that small/portable headphones would be in the price range that I'd be targeting, and also might be more comfortable for wearing over long periods of time. But, there also may be solutions that I haven't considered. So, the questions:

1) If I did want to go with portable headphones, what are the best options in that range? I used to have a pair of Sennheiser PX200s a long time ago, but I don't remember how they used to sound. Are they superior to the stock earbuds? How do they compare to full-size headphones? Are there other options in that price range that I should consider? Audio-Technica ATH-ES5? Wait for something more expensive to go on sale?

2) Some people draw a distinction between "IEM" and "canalbud" designs for earphones. The former are truly designed to go deep in the ear and form a tight seal; the latter is supposedly some kind of hybrid design where a seal is formed, but the positioning/seating of the earpiece is less fussy, like a true earbud. But then again, it might just be a clumsy way of distinguishing between shallow and deep insertion for IEMs. Is there anything to that distinction, or is any IEM design going to have basically the same issues?

3) I once tried a pair of supposedly superior earbuds, Audio-Technica CM700Ti. They were somewhat better-sounding than the stock earbuds, but they were heavy and somewhat uncomfortable to wear. Are there better/cheaper earbuds that exist now that might be worth looking into as an alternative? Or will all earbuds sound worse that over-the-ear or IEM-style headphones?

For super cheap headphones that sound good and you can leave at work without worry, I'd honestly recommend a pair of $15 Koss KSC-75. They sound surprisingly good.

Fusebox

Banned
Seems like every second person in New York with cans on have the Dre Beats, was there some massive sale on them or something?

big_z

HiResDes said:
Yeah what he said. Or Yuin PK3's for earbuds and Meelectronics HT-21's for closed portable cans.
Pk3s are garbage. There are much better options out there for around the same price.

Got the HD 555s. Loving them so far, but they are showing me how crappy low bitrate MP3s are. I can really pick up the compression on some songs. But songs that are encoded at higher bitrates, FLAC, or Apple Flawless sound AMAZING.

Barrett2

LCfiner said:
Hmm, the more i think about it, i want something as small as possible, because as long as i am going to invest in a good pair, i would like to bring them to work sometimes. With that in mind, what is a good pair that is slender and generally portable?

K.Jack

shadowcomplex said:
headphone gaf, i am planing on getting these tomorrow. they are the sony giiq piiq. my question is, should i? and are they worth it?
Marketed to those who value looks before sound. If that's you sure go for it.

HiResDes

lawblob said:
Hmm, the more i think about it, i want something as small as possible, because as long as i am going to invest in a good pair, i would like to bring them to work sometimes. With that in mind, what is a good pair that is slender and generally portable?
That's also good for gaming? Maybe the Audio Technica M50's or M-Audio Q40's, but both are about 50 dollars higher than they usually are

Has anyone had any experience with JAYS earphones? I'm really interested in picking up the a-JAYS Four to replace my broken V-Moda Remix. The few reviews (CNET | MacTalk) I've read have been really positive and I've found a local online store that can ship it to me for about AU$90 which is bang on my budget. Plus they look great!

IMG_0410.jpg

jays_ajays_four_remote_earphones_front_white_high.jpg

Yasae

Banned
K.Jack said:
Marketed to those who value looks before sound. If that's you sure go for it.
Those look like reskins of Sony's $20 "Studio Monitor" cans, which weren't a great value for the price.

HiResDes

The Jays a-Jays Three are supposedly great so I'd expect the Four's to be even better. Go ahead and jump on them. They are all seem to lean toward the bassy side, which is a plus for many. Hmm...It seems comfort is a big problem with the Four's

HiResDes said:
The Jays a-Jays Three are supposedly great so I'd expect the Four's to be even better. Go ahead and jump on them. They are all seem to lean toward the bassy side, which is a plus for many. Hmm...It seems comfort is a big problem with the Four's

The V-Moda Remix Remote I was using were heavy on bass also, which I liked. I'll read up on the Three's as they're $10 cheaper, but I'm leaning towards getting the Four next pay. :)

swoon

Dreams-Visions said:
Mac users: This app

screenshot20110210at111.png

is owning my soul right now.

Fidelia [GET]--

plug-in support, auto sample rate changing and 16/24-bit dithering for the fucking win.

what plug-ins should i be looking for? i like that it loads the song in the memory, though i wish it wouldn't start until it is loaded. not hearing huge change, but i'm willing to try!

Dice

Two days of burn in have made the 325s even better. They are sweeter, a bit liquid.

Edit: Amp got here. Holy crap. Everything doubled... that is the only way I can put it. The sound is also much more controlled so spikes in sound intensity don't equate to painful spikes in volume anymore. How much better can the sound get? We'll see. The DAC may arrive today if I'm lucky but it's USPS so there have been no tracking updates since simply heading out tuesday evening. There have been many times that it didn't update until it was delivered.

Edit 2: Woo, this baby gets hot. Though, I think I read that they kind of designed the whole case to act as a heatsink. 5 year warranty means no worries either way.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yesterday I cancelled my order on the HD 555's and I also found a local store that sells high-end audio products. I gave the DT 770 Pro's a listen and today I placed my order (got 'em for $99). Now I just need to buy a new amp. I'm leaning towards the little dot 1+ since I owned one over a year ago and loved it.

Top Bottom