• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

NotBacon

The HE 400 are definitely tempting at that price. I listen to a lot of ambient, classical, minimal techno and avant grade stuff (Actress, Sean McCann, Oval, Ryoji Ikeda, Tim Hecker etc). Bass isn't hugely important to me. Would those still be appropriate? I also listen to a lot of pop, and a little metal, rap and jazz. I don't really listen to much dubstep or dance-centric music.

If I get them I'll probably get the Schiit stack as well.

They are a great all arounder and would fit your needs well.

Mainly puts a bit more emphasis on upper midrange and has smoother treble response. All round smoother response though.

Welp, order placed.

mrpookles

Maybe a silly question, but is it worthwhile getting a separate amp if you already have a sound card on your PC?

Looking to buy a new set of cans and wondering whether I need to invest in an amp, too.

Tabasco

Use an equalizer if that's a problem. I have never understood why consumer audio users are so afraid to use the equalizer. If the headphone drivers and enclosure are properly implemented (Beyerdynamic DT880 + DT990 are one of the few that are!), equalization works very well.
What exactly do you mean by equalizer?

Maybe a silly question, but is it worthwhile getting a separate amp if you already have a sound card on your PC?

Looking to buy a new set of cans and wondering whether I need to invest in an amp, too.

It depends on the impedance of the headhones. If it's greater than roughly 100 ohms (Maybe even greater than 64?), the soundcard might not have enough juice to drive them (they won't sound very loud).

Tommy DJ

What exactly do you mean by equalizer?

This tool:

jVBzUmL.jpg

chaosaeon

DT-990 for gaming purposes.

Yeah, maybe (probably) the K612s will have a better soundstage but the 990 Pros are just way too fun for gaming. You can practically feel explosions in games while still remaining detailed.

Having had to send the Samson SR850s back for having a jack that messed up the sound if you moved the cord, and still waiting to try the takstar 2050s, I'm still in a stage where I can browse around. I figure if I know I'll end up getting a better one in the not so distant future I might just put that $60 toward a better set if the quality to price line up just right. Does this set beat both the ones I mentioned on soundstage and overall quality by a large enough margin to warrant the price difference ? I'm seeing these DT990 pros going for around $200+ ( I have no idea if that's a serious overcharge fwiw). As was before I like a slightly warm sound with as big a soundstage as possible that doesn't sacrifice a little punch in the bass to stop it from being too airy.

Edit : If I could get sennheiser 598's for $150, would that be worth it ?

HiResDes

598 doesn't have much bass at all, like even less than the Takstar, but definitely has a wide soundstage. It's entirely up to you obviously, but I'd wait and see if you like the Takstar.

The Somic MH463 are also a great set if you can find them for under $100, but if get those you'll want to replace the awful stock pads with these - http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ear-cushions-parts/x32-x12-ear-cushion/156

... Which is why didn't recommend them before, not sure how costly that would be good for where you are.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Use an equalizer if that's a problem. I have never understood why consumer audio users are so afraid to use the equalizer. If the headphone drivers and enclosure are properly implemented (Beyerdynamic DT880 + DT990 are one of the few that are!), equalization works very well.

I've never been all too happy with results from a software equalizer, but using the hardware equalizer built into the FiiO E17 I use gives me perfect results. My ears are very sensitive to treble, so I just decrease the treble a bit using my E17 and it's absolutely perfect.

In what way do they improve the sound? I already thought they sounded perfect!

The best example of how they'll improve the sound is to lift the HE-400s off your ears a bit so that some air can get between the earpads and your head. It sounds much less claustrophobic. That's basically what the velour earpads will do. And they'll make the HE-400s significantly more comfortable.
Not to overhype the earpads and cause you to be disappointed since you're expecting something huge, but it's going to blow your mind how noticeable the difference is. For the small price of the earpads, it improves the sound and comfort dramatically.

Skittles

Looking for a sub $300-400 pair of headphones. Main use will be gaming and the kind of music I listen to is mostly electronic(drum & bass, trance, etc). Just a note, I hate leather ear cups and I love Circumaural pads. Anyone got some good recommendations?

chaosaeon

598 doesn't have much bass at all, like even less than the Takstar, but definitely has a wide soundstage. It's entirely up to you obviously, but I'd wait and see if you like the Takstar.

The Somic MH463 are also a great set if you can find them for under $100, but if get those you'll want to replace the awful stock pads with these - http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ear-cushions-parts/x32-x12-ear-cushion/156

... Which is why didn't recommend them before, not sure how costly that would be good for where you are.

I went and looked for the Somic, which I've never heard of actually, but all the prices were between $130 and $150 which is basically what I could get the 598's for at the moment. As for the Takstar, I ordered that a long time ago but I guess given where it's shipping from it makes sense they're still not here. Are the DT990 Pro's a better all around pair than all of these if I could get a half decent price on some ? (I keep seeing $230+) But you guys have been saying good things about them, especially for using with games.

The comments about highs worries me because my current A151's often feel too bright. I just really want a solid, durable IEM with remote features. If I see these drop a few bucks maybe I'll jump on them.

derder

I need <150 earbuds+mic for general listening while traveling.

Comfort and isolation are more important than sound quality.

What say you GAF?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kind of a longshot, but does anyone have any experience with the HE-400s and both the FiiO E17 and E09K? I currently have the E17, but I just got an email from Headroom with a 20% off anything coupon (HRNEWS20 if anyone is interested) and noticed they had an already-discounted open-box E09K. With the coupon, it comes out to $68. Basically, I'm wondering how much of a difference the E09K + E17 would be over just the E17.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I realized today that the MDR1's I purchased are the non-revision version. After taking a look at the MDR1A's the earpads look like they were improved. $100 price increase as well.

Are there any other changes besides the earpads?

HiResDes

I realized today that the MDR1's I purchased are the non-revision version. After taking a look at the MDR1A's the earpads look like they were improved. $100 price increase as well.

Are there any other changes besides the earpads?
The pads supposedly change the sound for the better, read up on headfi there's a thread. I've heard the first version not the revised.

Bought some takstar 2050 from newegg for $40. Figured that was cheap enough to try some headphones out. Hopefully they'll at least play well on my nintendo 3ds. I wanted to get on the Sennheiser 558 which Bestbuy had for a good price but couldn't get in on that.

I'm also looking for RF headphones for a TV for my mother in law. I might splurge and get the RS160 or RS170. 160 is pretty cheap.

Teknoman

So...Sennheiser Momentum vs Beats Solo 2.0?

Im really just going to be using them either for gaming or mp3 players, but i'd like for something with decent bass. Also i'd be upgrading from...normal apple earbuds heh.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The pads supposedly change the sound for the better, read up on headfi there's a thread. I've heard the first version not the revised.

Thanks, I checked it out.
The sound change from the pads would be nice, but I don't think it'd be $100 nice. I'll put that extra bill towards a different set.

....oh god, it's begun.

Snaku

Banned
Any impressions on the Noontec Zoro HD II? Looking for compact closed headphones for commute and school for around $100.

I'm looking for closed-back headphones that I can use at work. I don't want strong isolation because I need to be interrupted occasionally without someone tapping me on the shoulder.

I was considering the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear, but they are apparently on the small side. In that price range, what else should I consider?

Thanks!

Jzero

I'm looking for closed-back headphones that I can use at work. I don't want strong isolation because I need to be interrupted occasionally without someone tapping me on the shoulder.

I was considering the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear, but they are apparently on the small side. In that price range, what else should I consider?

Thanks!
If I was in that position I would buy open headphones and put the volume on lower levels.

If I was in that position I would buy open headphones and put the volume on lower levels.

I was considering Sennheiser 598s but I was afraid they would cause too much noise pollution. I'd prefer to be able to hear other people, not necessarily have other people hear me :)

HiResDes

Thanks!
KEF M500 or Yamaha MT220 if you want something really accurate and neutral, Creative Aurvana Live 2 for something more fun. All have fairly mild isolation are quite portable and can be driven from most sources. The KEF M500 oddly leaks very little, yet isolates quite poorly.

longdi

Banned
So...Sennheiser Momentum vs Beats Solo 2.0?

Im really just going to be using them either for gaming or mp3 players, but i'd like for something with decent bass. Also i'd be upgrading from...normal apple earbuds heh.

In addition, Sennheiser portable headphones are built like a tank!

HiResDes

Any impressions on the Noontec Zoro HD II? Looking for compact closed headphones for commute and school for around $100.

Skip the Zoro and pick up the Beyerdynamic DTX-350p, or if you want to save some money the JVC S500 sound great as well, but they're not quite as comfortable.

HiResDes, see anything yet on the budget Audeze line (EL-8)?
I have. I have one pre ordered but not sure I will take it. Mike mercer over at head fi loved it. $700 in 2 models, closed back and open back.

Really good reviews so far but it looks way too big for a portable unit. Supposed to be comparable to the LCDX.

I'm leaning towards letting my pre order go in favour of the oppo pm3 since I want to pair it with my DAP, also since I have the LCD3F there is no real need for me to own this as it won't be as good.

What would be a good upgrade for my setup?

I have:

Denon D2000
Headroom micro amp
Headroom micro dac

I'm thinking either a complementary headphone (maybe the HE-400), or a better amp. Not really sure though. Any thoughts?

I just realise how much I hate IEMs, even good ones with comply tips. They are just uncomfortable and somewhat claustrophobic. I'm going to throw my final audio designs off a bridge because they're just awful compared to any decent set of headphones.

Waiting until March for a decent set of closed portables is going to be a nightmare.

HiResDes

I just realise how much I hate IEMs, even good ones with comply tips. They are just uncomfortable and somewhat claustrophobic. I'm going to throw my final audio designs off a bridge because they're just awful compared to any decent set of headphones.

Waiting until March for a decent set of closed portables is going to be a nightmare.
I feel like the sheer detail you can get out of earphones is incredible.

... And while I know you are in love with Audeze and other ridiculously expensive sets, headphones like KEF M500 are reasonably priced and nearly as capable as many headphones twice their price

Top Bottom