• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

I'm looking for over the ear headphones to be used for PC gaming and watching movies / TV shows. I prefer comfort and durability over sound quality. My budget is $50.

After some research, I came across these:
JVC HA-RX700
Sennheiser HD201
Sennheiser HD419
Superlux HD668B
Superlux HD681

Which do you guys think would be a good fit for me? If there's another I should know about, please let me know.
Takstar Hi 2050 if you're okay with them being open. JVC S680s should also definitely be considered, but you'll eventually want to slap some Hm5 pads on them to make them more comfortable.

Servbot24

Banned
Bout to pull the trigger on HE 400i. Apparently they sound quite similar to HE 500. I'm getting them for $350, unless there is a compelling argument for a different pair at that price.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Bout to pull the trigger on HE 400i. Apparently they sound quite similar to HE 500. I'm getting them for $350, unless there is a compelling argument for a different pair at that price.

Be prepared for them being bass light. Or maybe thin is a better word.

Get'sMad

I moved into a house nearly a year ago which was around the same time the cable of my HD600's crapped out and I just neglected to replace it. I had just been enjoying that floor standing speaker life/not having to worry about shared wall/floor neighbors bitching about sound for the first time in my life. Finally got a new cable for them this week and man I didn't realize how much I missed 'em. 😂

I'll still be doing most of my listening through speakers but I totally forgot how much some music benefits from deep listening through a pair of good cans.

Tablo

I feel like the sheer detail you can get out of earphones is incredible.
If by that you mean earbuds then yeah, I love the intimate sound at night or in silent places and each different set has pretty varied sound which makes them addicting buys >_>
But comfort is an issue, I'm probably going to end up having to use headphones like the VMODA M100 while on campus between classes etc just for comfort.

Servbot24

Banned
Wow, and you don't mind paying a high price?

What did you use your 555s for anyway?

I've been searching for cans under a $400 budget for a while, but reviews tend to be so contradicting I finally just had to go for one and at the price 400i seemed to be a good value. These will be my first mid-range cans so i'm pretty curious how they sound.

I have an Apogee One powering the 555s. Considering going to Schiit stack, though I do enjoy the convenience of One's input.

I feel like the sheer detail you can get out of earphones is incredible.

... And while I know you are in love with Audeze and other ridiculously expensive sets, headphones like KEF M500 are reasonably priced and nearly as capable as many headphones twice their price

The audeze and hd800s are my reference at home headphones. And yes I do love the audeze, not because they are expensive, but because the sound is absolutely phenomenal. The LCD3's blow away everything else I have ever heard and it's a sentiment shared by quite a lot of people who have them.

I don't think they are "ridiculously expensive" either, I'd say the Stax SR009s and the abyss sets fall into that category.

For my portable I'm going with the PM3s as these are only $300 and I know my c4 will be able to drive them.

HiResDes

If by that you mean earbuds then yeah, I love the intimate sound at night or in silent places and each different set has pretty varied sound which makes them addicting buys >_>
But comfort is an issue, I'm probably going to end up having to use headphones like the VMODA M100 while on campus between classes etc just for comfort.

I'm talking about IEMs, not earbuds

Tabasco

I've been searching for cans under a $400 budget for a while, but reviews tend to be so contradicting I finally just had to go for one and at the price 400i seemed to be a good value. These will be my first mid-range cans so i'm pretty curious how they sound.

I have an Apogee One powering the 555s. Considering going to Schiit stack, though I do enjoy the convenience of One's input.
I power up my 555s with the FiiO E07K, but it only makes a small difference.

I think my next set of cans will be the DT-990 Pro. I would consider the X2 as well, but I don't know if I would pay $300 for them.

the IEMs i use are the bullet type, and even with the correct tips i just dont find them comfortable so maybe you are similar to me. There was a guy on Head-fi swearing by the Roxanne IEM's but i think they are like $2000 so fuck that.

I prefer on ear or over the ear - and for portability, obviously closed backs. The Audeze EL8 were on my list but they just look too big to be portable for me.

While i do want good sound, im more than willing to take the comfort/cheaper option for my portable rig and listen to really good stuff when i am at home.

same thing, u stick em in ur ear, and yeah bullet type not comfy rly, even small ones like tenores.

Ive never tried a set of high end CIEMs so dont know if these are more comfortable - but the roxannes are stunning.

JH+Roxanne+04.jpg

B2RUWC-IAAAG-1n.jpg:large

I've heard from a few people that the Roxy's are very meh for the money. Angie/Layla seems like it'd be better due to the more linear FR but I can never get over how stupidly large the JH customs have gotten. That and their customer service has gotten awful. I still can't get over how they shipped out Muppetface's order and forgot to even put the damn phones in the case. I would have been livid. I've seen a lot of complaints over the build quality of the Roxy's as well

I've heard from a few people that the Roxy's are very meh for the money. Angie/Layla seems like it'd be better due to the more linear FR but I can never get over how stupidly large the JH customs have gotten. That and their customer service has gotten awful. I still can't get over how they shipped out Muppetface's order and forgot to even put the damn phones in the case. I would have been livid. I've seen a lot of complaints over the build quality of the Roxy's as well

i dont actually understand how they are supposed to go into the ear. The Bullet type (like my ones) go in the ear canal...how are these supposed to fit and would they be more comfortable? ive never worn this type before.

If you've got money to blow, why not look at the Ultimate Ears Reference?

Im not a huge fan of IEMs - even if they are good. More a comfort thing for me. Ive seen the UE sets before and they look amazing..but yeah, i dont think id spend that much for the type.

I think the PM3s are good enough as a portable set @ $300....or if failing that, the EL8 Closed backs at $700 max.

i dont actually understand how they are supposed to go into the ear. The Bullet type (like my ones) go in the ear canal...how are these supposed to fit and would they be more comfortable? ive never worn this type before.

It's a twisting motion, and then they lock into place. Comfort depends entirely on two factors: quality of impressions, and the tech who makes your phones. The UE Reference Monitor is really amazing, but at the moment, Earwerkz is the studio to keep an eye on I think. Their Legend R is supposed to be at least as good as the UERM, but the build quality looks heads and shoulders above. Jack Vang has been totally on point with his customer service as well

Tommy DJ

I dislike IEMs too but that's mostly because they don't fit well and often weight a ton because manufacturers have an obsession with aesthetics, material, and/or shoving a dozen drivers into a heavy and huge enclosure.

That IEM goes in your ear with the cable end going towards your face. You then wrap the cable behind your ear. If you haven't tried some, its worth trying out because they're actually quite comfortable.

I dislike IEMs too but that's mostly because they don't fit well and often weight a ton because manufacturers have an obsession with aesthetics, material, and/or shoving a dozen drivers into a heavy and huge enclosure.

That IEM goes in your ear with the cable end going towards your face. You then wrap the cable behind your ear. If you haven't tried some, its worth trying out because they're actually quite comfortable.

yeah its nothing to do with the sound quality to me, purely i dont like things being embedded in my ear canal. saying that, ive never heard a truly "good" set so i cant comment on the sound quality. the ones i have sound quite clear but very "thin" - which i guess is a product of their size.

the two headphones id like to hear but will most likely never purchase are the new macintosh ones and the audio quest nighthawks - purely because they are the first offerings from these brands. Pity this city has no place to audition equipment.

Tommy DJ

Yeah IEMs can sound really thin, especially if you get a bad seal. Its the same with headphones. Some ears just aren't meant for certain audio equipment :(

Maybe the Audioquest stuff might be good but I can almost say with certainty that a McIntosh (?) IEM will sound as bad as their speakers do.

Still part of the fun to listen to awful sounding equipment that costs waaaaaay too much. Like that really cool looking Sonus Faber floorstander that costs as much as an Aston Martin. Asked the guy at Carlton Audio to demo it for me and it was nothing but bass.

Yeah IEMs can sound really thin, especially if you get a bad seal. Its the same with headphones. Some ears just aren't meant for certain audio equipment :(

Maybe the Audioquest stuff might be good but I can almost say with certainty that a McIntosh (?) IEM will sound as bad as their speakers do.

Still part of the fun to listen to awful sounding equipment that costs waaaaaay too much. Like that really cool looking Sonus Faber floorstander that costs as much as an Aston Martin. Asked the guy at Carlton Audio to demo it for me and it was nothing but bass.

Nah mate the Mcintosh is a proper headphone

the MPH1000 - they released it along with their new headphone amp/DAC :

500x1000px-LL-93ecec92_mcintosh_HEADPHONES_MCH1000_new_munich_2014_matej_isak_mono_stereo_.jpeg

I have no opinion on mcintosh speakers as i have never heard one - beyond that they all seem very expensive and you seem to be paying for that blue glow.

the audioquest is $600 i think so not too pricy.

i love going to listen to speakers i can never afford - then i kinda get depressed on the way home knowing ill never hear anything that good again :( The last really nice ones i heard were the Magico Q7s and the Raidho C3.1's or something. Absolutely blew me away but the whole setup used was north of a million $ :(

Tommy DJ

Huh, turns out that McIntosh is subcontracting Beyerdynamic to make those. I spoke too soon...those headphones could actually sound OK but not remotely close to being worth $3,000 AUD.

Huh, turns out that McIntosh is subcontracting Beyerdynamic to make those. I spoke too soon...those headphones could actually sound OK but not remotely close to being worth $3,000 AUD.

are they REALLY more expensive than the Audeze LCD3?????

One guy on headfi has them paired with the HA-1 Amp...but that sounds ridiculously overpriced.

Tommy DJ

Haha yeah I know. In Australia, they're around $300 AUD more than the LCD3. I guess idiots might buy a pair because of the name.

Their official press release suggests a MSRP of $2,000 USD. I think new-in-box Audeze LCD-3s might cost more in the United States but you can knock down the price by a few hundred by lurking audiophile classifieds.

Haha yeah I know. In Australia, they're around $300 AUD more than the LCD3. I guess idiots might buy a pair because of the name.

Their official press release suggests a MSRP of $2,000 USD. I think new-in-box Audeze LCD-3s might cost more in the United States but you can knock down the price by a few hundred by lurking audiophile classifieds.

Thats the same price then - i got my Audeze at 10% off for $1,750..but yeah $1950 or so is retail..

That is ridiculous then - i really didnt think they were going for a "Flagship" set.

BTW have you seen the Mcintosh amp?

The MHA100 retails for $4,500 in the US, the UK price is £4,995, and it's AU$6,795 in Australia.

Hmmmm....

Waikis

Lol small world, wouldn't have guessed you would be in Melbourne, did you meet Rab at CAV?

Tommy DJ

BTW have you seen the Mcintosh amp?

Hmmmm....

Well it looks like a vintage stereo amplifier. If they're lazy, they'll basically hook the power amp part to the headphone out with resistors. They probably are since they can't even be bothered with balanced headphone outputs. Their figures for the amp's headphone output impedance look extremely wrong and don't really make any sense.

There's nothing wrong with using integrated amplifiers for headphones. A lot of vintage amplifiers from Sansui and Yamaha sound great with orthodynamic headphones. But I'm not seeing how this is a headphone amplifier.

In a previous copy of this post, I noted that a lot of modern amplifiers/receivers use op-amps. That's actually not true and it makes sense that they go the resistor route since op-amps cost money.

Lol small world, wouldn't have guessed you would be in Melbourne, did you meet Rab at CAV?

I met the bloke a few times because my dad wanted a new vinyl player and TV. Talked a lot about the consumer electronics industry and he gave me a sweet deal on a Rega player.

I think he puts way too much emphasis on brand and place of manufacturer/design...I'm not 100% sure if he's just selling me product or he actually believes what he's saying but the TVs they have in stock just aren't very good. If they had stocked some Panasonic plasmas, I probably would have bought one them because he was extremely patient with me and wasn't close to being pushy unlike the dweebs you get at JB Hi Fi.

And, of course, his co-worker's papillons are very cute.

I have. I have one pre ordered but not sure I will take it. Mike mercer over at head fi loved it. $700 in 2 models, closed back and open back.

Really good reviews so far but it looks way too big for a portable unit. Supposed to be comparable to the LCDX.

I'm leaning towards letting my pre order go in favour of the oppo pm3 since I want to pair it with my DAP, also since I have the LCD3F there is no real need for me to own this as it won't be as good.

I was curious about them, because at their price it puts them closer in cost to some HiFiMan sets. I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon as I just bought DT770 250ohms last year.

What I am looking to do is upgrade my portable buds/iems, which is why I asked about the RHA's before. Just trying to deice if I want to roll the dice on the RHA or order a few different pairs and return. I just hate doing that.

Working through joker's IEM list on Head-Fi now to see which I want to zero in on.

new setup...im running out of space and i left off the third tier of the Atacama stand:

10933781_10152998092024512_4317842400365121389_n.jpg

10665126_10152998092379512_5734442514363421995_n.jpg

10338748_10152998092559512_3413924533977932083_n.jpg

10923541_10152998092719512_3836558506735253734_n.jpg

Specs are:

Oppo HA-1 Amp/DAC
Centrance Dacmini
Sony XA7ES CD Transport
Silver Dragon Interconnects
AudioQuest Coffee USB
Audeze LCD3 w/ Balanced
Sennheiser HD800s w/Balanced
Audiotechnica ATH-A900
Colorfly C4
Final Audio Design Heaven C IEMs

Running JRiver 19 Media Centre

Still to come: Norne Draug 2 cables for the 800s and LCD3.

sick, those HD 800's.
They are really growing on me and have really warmed up after a few hundred hours. I prefer them for anything like norah Jones or nice female vocals.

Can't wait for the new cables to arrive as they have had great reviews in terms of making the sound a bit less bright.

The audeze are my go to set but the 800s are wonderful.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fostex TH600 + Fiio E17

First of all, thanks very much for Headphone GAF for introducing me to the world of great sound on the go. At home I listen to music from Genelec 8040 monitors, I really like them. I am, however, on the road in Turks & Caicos and USA for all of January and February, and I thought now might be the right time to invest into good headphones.

Selecting my headphones
My previous headphones haven’t been audiophile. Probably the best I had was Sennheiser PXC 450s. I have also had Bose QC IIs and Nokia Purity Pros. I found them all pretty lacking. I scanned through this thread and looked at the various recommendations. I was looking for a high quality pair with sound clarity and sound stage similar to my Genelecs, but with more emphasis on bass. After reading many reviews of all the headsets in the $300-600 price range mentioned here it seemed that Fostex TH600s were the right choice for me - the way people described them felt like the closest match.

Selecting my portable DAC/AMP
Next, I needed a DAC/AMP to go with my headset since I was going to use mainly my iPhone and iPad for listening. Since I was short of time, Fiio E17 was pretty much the only reasonable choice with quick delivery in UK. It’s probably under specced for my headphones, but I rationalised that I would buy a proper portable amp later when kit using the Apple Lightning port would be available, removing one analogue link from the chain. I do suspect that the Fiio E17 might not be providing enough oomph for the headphones, I think they sounded even better when being fed from my Yamaha home amp.

Selecting my case
Based on some recommendations online I got a Slappa Large Hardbody case. It fits the Fostex TH600s and their looooooong cable perfectly, with space in the middle left for the Fiio E17. Perfect case to protect quality kit - but big, so I had to upgrade my carry on luggage bag too!

Build quality
Before even firing the setup up, the first thing I appreciated was the build quality. Both the Fostex TH600 and Fiio E17 have stunning build quality. Sturdy metal construction, heft and rigidity. Certainly entirely another league than my earlier Sennheisers and Boses. The cables are incredibly well done too.

Sound
Hearing my new setup for the first time was truly a revelation to me. I am in no means an expert in describing sound so please excuse my layman’s wording.

• Broadness of the sound stage is incredible and has a real sense of space around me. The sounds seem to come from a range of directions and distances. This could be only appreciated once I as forced to use a pair of Bose QCs on American Airlines, coming from my new kit they are best described feeling like someone would have taped miniature speakers directly on my ears.
  • Clarity and detail in the sound is incredible. My favourite songs like Luka by Suzanne Vega take an all new life when I can really hear the physicality of the guitar strings and the echos from the body. They might sound too clinical to some listeners, but coming from my Genelec 8040s I appreciate clarity.
  • Bass feels like standing next to a huge gig speaker set, when fed with the right kind of track. I could not believe how amazing Skulls by Royksopp sounds, I can really physically feel the bass thumping, like on a gig or nightclubs. I do need to listen at a fairly high volume to get the effect, however. And it requires a lot from the track, as ones without extreme lows in bass can feel much thinner. I am currently pushing my Fiio E17 at 6+ on bass and it doesn’t feel like too much at all.
  • Leakage, well, there is a lot of it. All my previous headsets have been whisper quiet to people around me, so it was a surprise that my Fostex TH600s require a lot more social awareness. I fully expect to be told off one day by the passenger sitting next to me in an airplane. Now I was flying business so I didn’t disturb anyone in my own cocoon
Weaknesses
Currently, the biggest weak link in my chain is the required 1/4-to-3mm connector needed to plug the Fostex TH600s to my Fiio E17. As I was running out of time our local DJ shop in London only had a direct plug, and a bad one too, used in their store demo unit. A small twist or bend causes a rattle, it has to be positioned in a perfect angle. I have ordered adapters with a small cable that I will get on our US leg of our tour.

Open questions
I am still figuring out the entire setup. I do wonder, for example, that how much the source material and particular mastering affects my experience. Is Spotify Extreme Quality (320) as good as I need? Second thing I am not conclusive on is whether I should max out the amp and keep the output on my iPhone / iPad low, or the other way around? And third, I need to find the right EQ settings that produce the fullest, most pleasing sound - or should I rely on the defaults?

Costs (inc. tax)
Overall, this was an expensive set of kit. Maybe I took the thread title too literally, but I do think that this will last me a long time and provide me a lot of joy. And it's probably at the edge or past the threshold of where I can't hear difference when spending more.

• Fostex TH600 from Amazon.co.uk - £466.65 ($706)
  • Fiio E17 froms Amazon.co.uk - £99.00 ($149)
  • Slappa Large case from Amazon.co.uk - £24.87 ($37)
Personal reflection
I always try to reflect expensive purchases on whether they increased my happiness. Here, that question was answered the moment Prodigy announced they’d release their first track in years, Nasty Nasty, while I was on the road. I had actually the chance to hear it properly for the first time, feeling the effect of that imposing fog horn properly.

I also found myself for the first time just sitting and listening to all kinds of music I have enjoyed during my life, for the sheer joy of being able to hear it so well - Vangelis, Robert Miles, Propellerheads, Angelo Badalamenti, Chemical Brothers, Rage Against The Machine, U2, Tears for Fears, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack.... The experience really consumes my full attention, initially freaking out my wife as she found me sitting in a lounger and staring at the sea with my headset on.

Thumbs up and thanks again to Headphone-GAF!

lrAFvuD.jpg

Three objects providing me a lot of joy on my holiday - my Fostex TH600 headset, Fiio E17 portable DAC/AMP and my scuba mask. Also pictured, a specacularly bad 1/4-to-3.5mm adapter

Chittagong

Gold Member
^^^
Post of the year.How are you finding the TH600 compared to the Genelec?

Thanks! The year is young :)

They both share incredible clarity and detail which make them feel really lifelike to me, but I know some people think they are too dry. I feel that detail really takes me to the music physically, if that makes sense. Acoustic guitars, vocals and gig recordings are especially lifelike. I am a bit ashamed to confess how much I enjoyed the crowd of girls singing along Coldplay's Magic live at the Enmore Theatre, Sydney. Because of the precise separation I find I can actually listen both very loud without it feeling uncomfortable.

The main differences are that as the TH600 is a headset it still feels harder and more intense, since despite the large soundstage they are still close to my ear, whereas my Genelecs are in a space with air between me and them. The physical sensation of bass benefits on this on the TH600, getting similar feels out of my Genelecs would likely get me evicted.

EDIT - rookie mistake with the Fiio E17, I just discovered the Gain setting, it makes a massive difference to the better, bringing the experience closer inline with my home amp.

Tommy DJ

If you're talking about powered/active monitors, then the Magni 2 Uber will do what you want. Its main draw is that it can serve as a pre-amp after all.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Moon-Audio says they're waiting on a shipment from Hifiman so they won't arrive any time soon. I'll take a shot on the eBay one. How long did those take to arrive for you?

And on that note has anyone tried the newer Focuspads? Worth it?

They're from China so it will likely be the standard 2-4 weeks

Top Bottom