• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Izayoi

Banned
Enron said:
all portable players are mediocre!
That's not true at all. Sure, you're never going to get something as nice as you would be able to have at home, but there are plenty of things that are better than the iPod.

thuway

Izayoi said:
That's not true at all. Sure, you're never going to get something as nice as you would be able to have at home, but there are plenty of things that are better than the iPod.
I agree man.

I used to own a Cowon D2. That was the only PMP that would drive my HD650s to a loud enough level. No Ipod, Zune, or phone has ever come close.

FoxSpirit

Enron said:
all portable players are mediocre! Let's not make a bad situation worse by using mediocre or crappy equipment with them!

The only time I ever use my UE Triple-Fi 10s is with my iphone. COME AT ME BRO

By this I presume you specifically exclude mini-rigs like ipod with portable dac and portable amp held together with a rubberband?

Ashhong

I still haven't decided on a new amp. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy the E7 for my M50s because the E11 battery life is terrible. If it sucks, I will blame you guys.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Ashhong said:
I still haven't decided on a new amp. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy the E7 for my M50s because the E11 battery life is terrible. If it sucks, I will blame you guys.

and then I'll blame you for not blaming yourself

Izayoi said:
Why on earth would you pair such a nice pair of headphones with such a mediocre device. They deserve something much better.
This reminds me of when Headfi went apeshit over a picture of Bangraman's Sony Qualias hooked up to an ipod Nano hahaha

LCfiner

Izayoi said:
Why on earth would you pair such a nice pair of headphones with such a mediocre device. They deserve something much better.

I’ve had old ESW9s paired with both an iPhone and also a desktop setup with an E7/ E9 combo and, y’know, they didn’t sound like shit from the iPhone. they sounded better with an amp but they were done justice from the iPhone.

it’s one thing to be focused on supreme audio reproduction while seated at a desk or chair at home but when running around outside and dealing with external sound factors while traveling on trines or planes, SQ isn’t going to be number one priority for lots of people - including those who put effort into their home setups like myself.

besides, anyone who has an iPhone or iPod and wants to bump up the sound has the benefit of using a cheap, easy to find LOD from Fiio and an amp to get a nice audio boost for cans that need it.

Izayoi

Banned
My issue with the iPod/iPhone is more the limited format support. The audio circuitry is certainly less than stellar, but that can be partially masked by a decent amp (a lot of emphasis on partially here). What really hurts it for me are proprietary formats.

LCfiner

FLACis the only format of note that it doesn’t support (as you can actually buy music in FLAC from some sites). the other formats it supports are not what I would consider proprietary to Apple with the exception of FLAC replacement ALAC. AAC is just mp4 and everyone knows mp3.

and, besides, format support did not seem to be what you were implying when you stated the ESW9 deserved better than an iPod.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ashhong said:
just fyi, the E11's battery is easily replaceable. For less than $5 you can get a 1550mAh battery and extend the battery life beyond 20 hours.

Alucrid

Banned
Ashhong said:
Don't blame me. I dont advocate those things.

Irnbru

I post to say I just got my TMA-1s! thanks to all the recommendations in this thread. They are blowing me AWAY. I am listening to ATB A&T remix of Renegade. Just....wow. My first expensive cans. Just wow.

Laekon

I'm in the market for a pair of over the ear closed headphones and possibly a set of earphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-280's that I really like but now want a 2nd pair. I'll be using them at work off a Lenovo laptop so the source isn't the best. I listen to bands like the Decemberist, the National, and Foals. The 280's have been great especially since they are under $100. The only issue is that the padding makes noise sometimes. Besides comfort and sound quality the other thing that is important is isolation. I don't want my co-workers to hear my music. I'm willing to spend up to $200 but would rather stick around $100. Any reason to get something besides another pair of 280's?

As for earphones are any of the recommended really good at blocking sound out? I have a pair of Bose(received as a gift) in ear and they don't seem to keep any sound out. They are also uncomfortable. I really will only use these 5-10 times a year for flying as I don't like to carry my headphones and I'm worried about them getting damaged.

Ashhong

K.Jack said:
just fyi, the E11's battery is easily replaceable. For less than $5 you can get a 1550mAh battery and extend the battery life beyond 20 hours.

Dammit
lol.gif
well the E7 battery is supposed to last over 80 hours, so I'll see how it sounds and then return it if I have to to Amazon.

thuway

GAF I need help -

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. So far I love the sound. I currently run them through my laptop- a Sony Vaio, just about the only thing that'll drive them decently. I used to own a Cowon D2 and it didn't do a half bad job either.

I now own a Samsung Galaxy S, and to be quite frank, it can't do shit.

What are my options for portable amplification that can do these puppies justice under 200 :)? I would like to run these puppies through my Phone, but with proper amplification so they sound good.

Head-Fi is of zero help. Everytime someone suggests a Fio E11 or a CMOY, they are laughed at.

Alucrid

Banned
thuway said:
GAF I need help -

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. So far I love the sound. I currently run them through my laptop- a Sony Vaio, just about the only thing that'll drive them decently. I used to own a Cowon D2 and it didn't do a half bad job either.

What are my options for portable amplification that can do these puppies justice under 200 :)? I would like to run these puppies through my Phone, but with proper amplification so they sound good.

Head-Fi is of zero help. Everytime someone suggests a Fio E11 or a CMOY, they are laughed at.

I would say it's not even worth it, just buy another pair of more portable friendly headphones. I mean, shit, I would never take ~300 cans outside.

Geneijin

I'm looking to buy Ultrasones for a friend and noticed the HFI-780 @ $160, down from $192 yesterday. I think my friend prefers more bass than what the 780 seemingly offer, so I'm stuck thinking between the 780 and 580. Any ideas?

Also, just letting anyone else interested in the 780 know about the sale.

Izayoi

Banned
LCfiner said:
and, besides, format support did not seem to be what you were implying when you stated the ESW9 deserved better than an iPod.
That's true. I still stand by that statement though. There are other products out there that have higher quality DACs and can produce a better signal than the iPod, and if you're going to be pairing expensive headphones with something it seems like kind of a waste to pair them with the iPod. That's just me, though. I know not everyone is concerned solely with sound quality.

thuway said:
GAF I need help -

Well it's like running a race car on 87 unleaded. If I were you I would save up some money for an integrated amp/DAC for home use (not portable), and just get some nice IEMs for day to day (Shure S4).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What is everyone's opinion on the new fiio line of tiny amps? Specifically the E6 which is set to launch at the end of the month (it's out but it's just this IEM bundle another company has and fiio is giving them some exclusivity time)?

Here's the link to the product page!

2011841441180.jpg

It basically APPEARS to be a mini E5 with slightly updated specs. Sure it's no E7, but from what I can tell googling around it's going for only like $30.

LCfiner

well, from my experience with the E5, it’s basically just a volume and (optional) bass boost.

the E6 might help some harder to drive cans push more volume but I doubt it’s going to be much help with accuracy, bass texture or soundstage for most portables.

ravien56

opticalmace said:
Well it's like running a race car on 87 unleaded. If I were you I would save up some money for an integrated amp/DAC for home use (not portable), and just get some nice IEMs for day to day (Shure S4).
How much would a dedicated dac/amp cost?

jacobs34

opticalmace said:

This. I have the 650's also and they need a pretty hefty Amp to drive them, even the E7/E9 combo is a little lean for getting the full potential out of the headphones. Plus, nothing beats a good pair of IEMs for on the go use. As much as I love my 650's, my Shure SE210's are my workhouse headphones, would be lost without them.

Ashhong

ravien56 said:
Do I need a lod cable for my iPhone also?

Is tat like the E3 or whatever? If there is one that works with the iPhone, I would imagine it would provide better sound, as digital > analog. Not sure how much of a difference it would make if you are using an amp as well though.

If you're asking if you NEED a lod cable to use the E7, the answer is no.

LCfiner

ravien56 said:
No shipping to Canada:(

FYI,

headphonebar.com is Canadian and ships within canada. might be cheaper and faster than ebay. they sell the E7, E11, the new E6 and Fiios cheap and effective Line Out Dock cables.

edit: I have not bought from them but I’ve visited their site. I don’t want to give the wrong impression.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LCfiner said:
well, from my experience with the E5, it’s basically just a volume and (optional) bass boost.

the E6 might help some harder to drive cans push more volume but I doubt it’s going to be much help with accuracy, bass texture or soundstage for most portables.

Thanks for the info! I actually found a thread over at HeadFi that gave me some useful info as one poster got the amp early to review. Review isn't up yet, but general impressions are it's a step up from the E5, and shares a little more backbone with the E7. I don't expect anything life changing, but it's good news none the less.

This is especially cause its hard to tell a difference between the E5 and E6 based on specs, and the thread noted as such, but said the specs are slightly deceiving.

PS: I mainly want it to use with my smart phone. Though if I had it in my bag I'd probably use it with my CR-48 and my Vita when I get one too!

PS: I 2nd going with Headphonebar!

Alucrid

Banned
dyna-soar said:
Didn't realize skullcandy was the antichrist in the eyes of audiophiles, but for someone who does not mind decent sound quality for a good price, they certainly are a good set of earbuds.

None of these are true. We can recommend headphones that 1) are at the same price point 2) are better in sound quality 3) don't look like shit.

ravien56 said:
How much would a dedicated dac/amp cost?
that will power the HD650? The E7+E9 can do it. But you'll get a better experience from the NuForce Icon HDP. Costs more, sounds better. Go with what you're willing to pay.

edit: fixed the Icon's name. the HDP is a DAC+Amp with more inputs than a regular Icon. but it's not cheap. Regular Icon is fantastic if you don't need the dac capabilities.

jacobs34

Dreams-Visions said:
that will power the HD650? The E7+E9 can do it. But you'll get a better experience from the NuForce Icon UDP. Costs more, sounds better. Go with what you're willing to pay.

Exactly, I had the NuForce Icon for awhile, was a great amp. Highly recommend it with the 650's.

HiResDes

Laekon said:
I'm in the market for a pair of over the ear closed headphones and possibly a set of earphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-280's that I really like but now want a 2nd pair. I'll be using them at work off a Lenovo laptop so the source isn't the best. I listen to bands like the Decemberist, the National, and Foals. The 280's have been great especially since they are under $100. The only issue is that the padding makes noise sometimes. Besides comfort and sound quality the other thing that is important is isolation. I don't want my co-workers to hear my music. I'm willing to spend up to $200 but would rather stick around $100. Any reason to get something besides another pair of 280's?

As for earphones are any of the recommended really good at blocking sound out? I have a pair of Bose(received as a gift) in ear and they don't seem to keep any sound out. They are also uncomfortable. I really will only use these 5-10 times a year for flying as I don't like to carry my headphones and I'm worried about them getting damaged.
I'd check out these for cans, fantastic for the price

nib95

Banned
The T1's really are near sonic balance perfection for me. I've never had to EQ a phone or IEM so little as I have with these. The balance is almost, almost perfect. I increase EQ ever so slightly in the lower frequencies to add some bass quantity and decrease at 128hz ever so slightly to add some weight to the vocals and a teeny bit more clarity, but besides these very minor changes (that are not required at all, rather just personal taste), it's pretty much flawless.

I'm sure with a better amp it would be even better. SR-71A does valiantly, but I doubt the cans would say no to more power.

T1a.jpg

t1b.jpg

If I was forced to note possible improvements for these cans, I'd ask for just a bit more thickness in vocals, more bass quantity and just slightly less sharp high's, but it's the closest thing to a perfectly balanced can I've personally heard. I am by nature a bass junky, so some of you might not want any more bass. Also, a wider soundstage couldn't be bad, not that they aren't wide enough, but I do love a spacious stage!

Ravenn17

Brettison said:
Get a headphone amp or else you could just get a cable that takes the left and right into 1 that you could plug your headphones into. I'd recommend either the fii0 E7 or else get the gaming geared Astro which even has optical inputs and can do stereo and dolby digital headphone (if you want to try that for gaming).

Any recommendations for an amp under $100? I researched a bit and heard a lot of favorable things about the Nuforce Icon Mobile.

K.Jack

Pachterballs said:
Are the beats by Dr Dre brand headphones anygood?

Answer:

haha_at_you.gif

Serious answer:

Beats are beaten by $100 headphones. They're madly overpriced for the quality they give. Only buy them if you're a sheep.

Pachterballs said:
Are the beats by Dr Dre brand headphones anygood?

I have a pair of beyerdynamic DT990's, AKG K240s, Monster Turbines and Astro A30's. I just got a set of Beats solo HD just because I was curious, they look good, and I wanted something with Control Talk. The solo HD's are wayyy overpriced at $250 for the quality in sound you are getting. You are better off getting the A30's or Monster turbines for 1/2 the cost. They have a lotttttt of bass and is good for only certain types of music (rap/hip-hop). Otherwise dont even bother with them. For the price you can get such better sound quality (DT990's, DT880's, DT770's, sennheiser HD25, audio technica M50, astro A30, the Astro Mixamp+headset COMBO etc...)

edit: btw, I got the beats solo hd for $130+tax (friend who works for em) they're worth it at that price...but even then :S

LCfiner

I know FR graphs don’t tell the whole story but this comparison of the monster solo vs the venerable sennhesier HD25-1 portable (decent choice for portable use) says a lot about what the Beats emphasize (hint: THUD, THUD bass)

vWrgg.png

Zeth

To the guy with the unamped SR225i: Get the PA2V2. It'll be the best $40 you ever spend. It makes those phones SING. That combo is one of the best bang:buck deals out there, guaranteed.

pa2v2_1.jpg

I've taken a glance at the suggestions in the OP, but frankly it's all greek to me. Which set of IEM's would give the best performance per buck for <$100? I wouldn't say I'm a huge glutton for audio quality, but I can definitely tell the difference between your average 128 kbps mp3 and a proper lossless flac. Comfortability and durability would be nice as well, but I ultimately bow to the supreme wisdom of Audiophile-GAF. I listen to all kinds of music, from techno to jazz to classical, so a good balance is preferred. Additionally, if I can get a better deal on headphones at the same price I'd be open to that as well so long as it's fairly portable.

nib95

Banned
LCfiner said:
I know FR graphs don’t tell the whole story but this comparison of the monster solo vs the venerable sennhesier HD25-1 portable (decent choice for portable use) says a lot about what the Beats emphasize (hint: THUD, THUD bass)

vWrgg.png

As far as graphs go, that's a pretty poor frequency graph for the Beats. Potentially grossly over emphasised bass and muddiness with recessed higher end and poor detailing. Obviously though you are right, graphs don't tell the whole story. HD25-1's graph looks infinitely more promising and better balanced.

Zeth

CrunchyFrog said:
I've taken a glance at the suggestions in the OP, but frankly it's all greek to me. Which set of IEM's would give the best performance per buck for <$100? I wouldn't say I'm a huge glutton for audio quality, but I can definitely tell the difference between your average 128 kbps mp3 and a proper lossless flac. Comfortability and durability would be nice as well, but I ultimately bow to the supreme wisdom of Audiophile-GAF. I listen to all kinds of music, from techno to jazz to classical, so a good balance is preferred. Additionally, if I can get a better deal on headphones at the same price I'd be open to that as well so long as it's fairly portable.

Klipsch S4s can be had for $60-$70 and they're actually my workhorse phones now for electronic and hip-hop. My SR225s are amazing for rock/indie but bass heavy stuff is kinda weak through them so I use the S4s which are actually surprisingly solid all-around (for the price).

Laekon

So after looking around a little I decided I should go for a portable pair of headphones. Can anyone compare the Phiaton MS400's and the ATH-M50's?

K.Jack

Laekon said:
So after looking around a little I decided I should go for a portable pair of headphones. Can anyone compare the Phiaton MS400's and the ATH-M50's?
The MS400 has better soundstage, and much better mids.

It all depends on what you listen to the most.

Top Bottom