• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

dyna-soar

Didn't realize skullcandy was the antichrist in the eyes of audiophiles, but for someone who does not mind decent sound quality for a good price, they certainly are a good set of earbuds.

dyna-soar said:
Didn't realize skullcandy was the antichrist in the eyes of audiophiles, but for someone who does not mind decent sound quality for a good price, they certainly are a good set of earbuds.

Any of the mainstream crap is going to be fairly unwelcome here (skullcandy, beats, bose). It comes with the territory I suppose.

dyna-soar

Wormdundee said:
Any of the mainstream crap is going to be fairly unwelcome here (skullcandy, beats, bose). It comes with the territory I suppose.
I see, well then my apologies to everyone to the tainting of this thread.

dyna-soar said:
No, that's Bose. And Monster Over Ear cans.

elrechazao said:
Don't sweat it. It's like the TV threads where if you don't have an 9000 dollar plasma, you get shat all over.
not remotely equivalent. that was a bullshit post, bro. there are excellent cans that are recommended here for any budget range.

the fact of the matter is that in the majority of cases, if you bought Bose, Skullcandy or Beats, you overpaid for the quality of sound they provide. I know because I owned some Bose On-Ears and thought they were great. Then I heard something else and felt fucking ashamed.

I went on to sample dozens of cans to find the arguments to be true. Most Bose cans offer $70-$80 sound quality at $180-$300 price tags. Beats would be better closer to $90 (except the Turbines which are fairly priced). The Skullcandy's are usually 2x-3x their actual audio value.

We won't apologize for wanting people to get the best sonic value for whatever money they have to spend. And no, we don't like anyone getting fucked over by any brand name suckering people into paying more via clever marketing rather than audio quality.

LCfiner

elrechazao said:
Don't sweat it. It's like the TV threads where if you don't have an 9000 dollar plasma, you get shat all over.

I don’t think this thread is like that, to be honest. very few people in this thread have equipment over a couple hundred bucks and most of the talk is about midrange equipment.

and the OP has links to lots of gear under 100 bucks.

there is a tendency to rag on people who come in and want to get Bose or Monster or skull candies because they could do a lot better with their money even if the other suggestions may not be as easy to find in stores.

Izayoi

Banned
dyna-soar said:
I see, well then my apologies to everyone to the tainting of this thread.
What I'm not sure about is why you seem to have had a bad experience in the past with Skull Candy, and yet you decided, instead of trying one of the many (better) options offered in the OP, to once again go with the same brand.

Izayoi said:
What I'm not sure about is why you seem to have had a bad experience in the past with Skull Candy, and yet you decided, instead of trying one of the many (better) options offered in the OP, to once again go with the same brand.
the challenge, unfortunately, is that Skullcandy, Bose and Beats are the only "premium" brands offered in most big-box chain stores. So the natural presumption consumers make is that those cans are the "top tier" cans. They're paying for floor space that Sennheiser, Denon, Audio Technica, Stax, Shure and others refuse to pay for (because they want to keep their prices low). The consequence is that you have to buy cans (1) online where you can't sample them first or (2) hope that your local music store has a pair in to sample. It's a bad way to get your product out, but the only way those manufacturers can make a profit without paying the big box store tax (and passing it to the customers).

So many people fall for the trap. Including myself before discovering all these other brands and being willing to risk ordering them to find out for myself.

I don't blame anyone for buying Bose/Beats/Skullcandy. I *do* blame them for buying them after seeing this thread or not returning them after coming here if they are within the return period.

The best thing a Bose/Beats/Skullcandy owner can do is sell their cans for some smallish hit (there are lots of other noobs who will take them off your hands for near the price you bought them for) and use whatever money is left to buy some really good cans.

BLACKLAC

I was very close to getting Skullcandy G.I. Stereo Headphones. But after reading this thread and other audio threads on Gaf I ended up getting Koss DJ100's and PortaPros along with an E5, E7 & Sansa clip+ 8gb(and Rockboxing it). I feel good man.

I feel the people here saved me from making a terrible mistake.

Thank you Audio-GAF.

ramyeon

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Oh, if you're looking for something with control/talk then those are probably best. And coming from the apple buds they will indeed be huge, just don't ever succumb to curiosity or else you'll endlessly be wondering what other phones offer. It's pretty bad for the wallet haha
Haha yeah tell me about it, even after just lurking this thread for awhile I've been entertaining the idea of a set of over ear headphones as well, better hold off on it for now though.

Blackhead

Redarse
BLACKLAC said:
I was very close to getting Skullcandy G.I. Stereo Headphones. But after reading this thread and other audio threads on Gaf I ended up getting Koss DJ100's and PortaPros along with an E5, E7 & Sansa clip+ 8gb(and Rockboxing it). I feel good man.

I feel the people here saved me from making a terrible mistake.

Thank you Audio-GAF.
2ll0qv6.jpg

Dreams-Visions said:
not remotely equivalent. that was a bullshit post, bro. there are excellent cans that are recommended here for any budget range.

the fact of the matter is that in the majority of cases, if you bought Bose, Skullcandy or Beats, you overpaid for the quality of sound they provide. I know because I owned some Bose On-Ears and thought they were great. Then I heard something else and felt fucking ashamed.

I went on to sample dozens of cans to find the arguments to be true. Most Bose cans offer $70-$80 sound quality at $180-$300 price tags. Beats would be better closer to $90 (except the Turbines which are fairly priced). The Skullcandy's are usually 2x-3x their actual audio value.

We won't apologize for wanting people to get the best sonic value for whatever money they have to spend. And no, we don't like anyone getting fucked over by any brand name suckering people into paying more via clever marketing rather than audio quality.
I never said that there weren't value posts in here, I was referring to those posters who replied to him.

dyna-soar

Izayoi said:
To be honest, and this is an awful answer, but it is the truth. The sheer convenience of being able to find those headphones who shall not be named over trying to find one of the sets in the OP.
Edit: And when I say find, I mean locally, I needed a new pair of headphones now and could not be bothered by shipping times and other things, so I just picked up something fairly inexpensive that I have found to be fairly reliable over the years.

Ravenn17

Let's say I buy some Denon AHD2000's and I want to use them to listen to movies/games on my PS3 but I don't have a receiver. How would I go about doing this?

HiResDes

elrechazao said:
I never said that there weren't value posts in here, I was referring to those posters who replied to him.
Yeah, but you were still off...If he would have came in here, and posted that he just picked up some Koss KSC75's nobody would have been bummed. I don't care much what he gets, it wasn't a personal attack. It was just more of being bummed by Skullcandy, and wishing that he tried a different set, especially considering he had a pair previously. It's not about status in here, as much as it is about value and quality. However, by all means if he wants to just settle on some cheap Skullcandys that's perfectly fine, but don't expect me to reply, "dude that's awesome."

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Some Skullcandy earbuds are great. I like the Titan series myself. They do make some crap buds as well, but I find they are priced as so though. To crap on their entire product line wouldn't be accurate. One issue is that their best stuff is only available online. Like the Titans with the iPhone controls.

Just bought a pair of Superlux HD681 phones for £20. They are not the most stylish looking headphones but they sound fantastic. In fact they give my Sennheiser HD595s, which cost me nearly 6 times as much, a real run for their money. The HD681s are easily as detailed as the 595s. They have a much better bass kick than the 595s, sweet mids and slightly harsh highs. I have been able to take some of the edge off the highs with some careful eq settings. They are said to benefit substantially from a long burn in but first impressions are that these are fantastic value headphones. I will be using them mostly for gaming and movies, where their extra bass response will most appreciated.

Ravenn17 said:
Let's say I buy some Denon AHD2000's and I want to use them to listen to movies/games on my PS3 but I don't have a receiver. How would I go about doing this?

Does your TV have a headphone socket that you could use? Or do the Denons need a substantial amp to properly drive them?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ravenn17 said:

Get a headphone amp or else you could just get a cable that takes the left and right into 1 that you could plug your headphones into. I'd recommend either the fii0 E7 or else get the gaming geared Astro which even has optical inputs and can do stereo and dolby digital headphone (if you want to try that for gaming).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone have any experience with Sennheiser warranty and repair? My PC 350's just broke while I was playing Halo. (Mic stopped working but sound is fine) I have a tournament on the 25th and I need them before I leave. Any info and help is greatly appreciated.

cress2000

After paying for expedited shipping and the bonehead company I bought them from shipping standard, they're finally here...

sdyu7.jpg

What an upgrade over the SR60s, and they're not even broken in yet. Dat bass. Dat detail. Dat soundstage. O_O

LCfiner

very nice. I’ve been getting more curious about trying some ultrasones to see what the deal is with the S logic stuff and soundstage.

enjoy them!

AnkitT

My old, foam modded HD555s died a few weeks ago. Bought the HD598 since it was the best one in the shop. Breaking them in now, but they sound pretty good! A bit on the warmer side, but I prefer it like this.

Davidion

I wouldn't mind owning some Ultrasones if it weren't for their miserably worthless POS headband that they cheap out on on even their pro lines. Shit is almost guaranteed to break for someone with a big head in a couple of years.

Izayoi

Banned
Started playing with FLAC a lot more (in particular 24/96 tape transfers) and now I don't think I'm going to be able to go back to MP3, even at 320kbp/s. :(

AnkitT said:
My old, foam modded HD555s died a few weeks ago. Bought the HD598 since it was the best one in the shop. Breaking them in now, but they sound pretty good! A bit on the warmer side, but I prefer it like this.
How long did you have them for when they died?

ChanHuk

Banned
Got my Superlux HD 681, general impression so far is that I need an amp for this thing. I have to crank my iPhone to max volume and half volume on my MBP. Otherwise, it's completely changed the way I've listen to music. My friends all have the $300 Beats by Dre and I disliked them because all I heard was punchy bass. These are well balanced and crystal clear.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ChanHuk said:
Got my Superlux HD 681, general impression so far is that I need an amp for this thing. I have to crank my iPhone to max volume and half volume on my MBP. Otherwise, it's completely changed the way I've listen to music. My friends all have the $300 Beats by Dre and I disliked them because all I heard was punchy bass. These are well balanced and crystal clear.

Awesome! What amp are you thinking about getting?

ChanHuk

Banned
Brettison said:
Awesome! What amp are you thinking about getting?

I have no clue really, I don't want to spend too much as I'm no audiophile. Gonna look through this thread and see what people have to say.

And upon future review, I absolutely love these cans, they are a little snug around the crown of my head, we'll see if the leather loosens up a bit with use. As the whole closed vs open aspect. I've only had little experience and whenever I wore closed headphones they hurt my ears. These seem like a good compromise, I still can't hear ambient noise with them on.

ravien56

Looking to buy another set of headphones. Currently rocking grado sr 225's, mainly listen to rock music, don't really wanna plug then into a amp, any recommendations?

Blackface

Banned
elrechazao said:

It's not like that at all. People don't like Beats and Bose because they cost TO MUCH for what they give. They are fucking bad. $300 beats can be rivaled, and to some out-classed by $99 headphones.

HiResDes

ravien56 said:
Looking to buy another set of headphones. Currently rocking grado sr 225's, mainly listen to rock music, don't really wanna plug then into a amp, any recommendations?
If you mainly listen to rock music I'd recommend upgrading within the Grado line

ravien56

HiResDes said:
If you mainly listen to rock music I'd recommend upgrading within the Grado line
Next step seems to be 325's but reading on head fi.org, overall consensus is to get the most out of them, you should plug it into a amp and I don't got the cash for 325's or for a amp. Anything else would be a downgrade?

Enron

Banned
ravien56 said:
Next step seems to be 325's but reading on head fi.org, overall consensus is to get the most out of them, you should plug it into a amp and I don't got the cash for 325's or for a amp. Anything else would be a downgrade?

The 325s dont offer much more than what you get with the 225s. The next step up within the grado line from sr225s are the $500+ RS-2s or RS-1s. The SR225 is without a doubt the sweetest spot price/performance in the grado line.

I am a former sr225 owner and my next step was over to Beyer DT880s. But if you dont have an amp, I think your only choices really are Grado and Audio-Technica.

HiResDes

ravien56 said:
Maybe these, but really they'd be more of a sidegrade, than a real upgrade.

...How much are you looking to spend

Enron

Banned
HiResDes said:
Maybe these, but really they'd be more of a sidegrade, than a real upgrade.

...How much are you looking to spend

If he didnt have the cash for 325s, it's going to be hard to really upgrade at all.

I think he ought to just stick with the 225s for now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
the challenge, unfortunately, is that Skullcandy, Bose and Beats are the only "premium" brands offered in most big-box chain stores. So the natural presumption consumers make is that those cans are the "top tier" cans. They're paying for floor space that Sennheiser, Denon, Audio Technica, Stax, Shure and others refuse to pay for (because they want to keep their prices low). The consequence is that you have to buy cans (1) online where you can't sample them first or (2) hope that your local music store has a pair in to sample. It's a bad way to get your product out, but the only way those manufacturers can make a profit without paying the big box store tax (and passing it to the customers).

So many people fall for the trap. Including myself before discovering all these other brands and being willing to risk ordering them to find out for myself.

I don't blame anyone for buying Bose/Beats/Skullcandy. I *do* blame them for buying them after seeing this thread or not returning them after coming here if they are within the return period.

The best thing a Bose/Beats/Skullcandy owner can do is sell their cans for some smallish hit (there are lots of other noobs who will take them off your hands for near the price you bought them for) and use whatever money is left to buy some really good cans.

speaking of which no one listens to me when i tell them not buy skullcandy/bose/beats
i try to tell them they can better headphones/speakers for the price but they dont care or just refuse to listen

ChanHuk

Banned
Blackface said:
It's not like that at all. People don't like Beats and Bose because they cost TO MUCH for what they give. They are fucking bad. $300 beats can be rivaled, and to some out-classed by $99 headphones.

Beats and Bose are what they are, mainstream applications.

cress2000

LCfiner said:
very nice. I’ve been getting more curious about trying some ultrasones to see what the deal is with the S logic stuff and soundstage.

enjoy them!

After a few more hours of listening, I've become spoiled. The SR60 have become much more unlistenable than I expected. Feel kind of bad since they were always so good before, but that's just how it goes.

No idea how they might compare to anything else, but I'm quite happy with this pickup so far. I kind of owe TheExodu5 for nudging me toward Ultrasone in a thread on the gaming side a while back.

Izayoi

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
speaking of which no one listens to me when i tell them not buy skullcandy/bose/beats
i try to tell them they can better headphones/speakers for the price but they dont care or just refuse to listen
I gave up on trying to give my real life friends advice about things like this. For a lot of people it's more about image than anything else (see: everyone who owns iPods), and as such they're willing to pay more and get less just to have the status symbol item.

Izayoi said:
I gave up on trying to give my real life friends advice about things like this. For a lot of people it's more about image than anything else (see: everyone who owns iPods), and as such they're willing to pay more and get less just to have the status symbol item.
I use an ipod because it's way more convenient for me. I'd easily purchase a Cowon player if there were a program that is as seamless and easy to use as iTunes on OS X. With iTunes, I insert a CD that automatically gets ripped into lossless files and added to my library, which then can update my ipod classic with a lossy file format to save space. No drag-n-drop, no micromanaging to convert lossless to lossy music files or even having a separate lossy library for portable players.

LCfiner

Izayoi said:

weeelllllll… not everyone. I own an iPod. :p

but I know what you mean. for lots of folks, it’s a package deal.

What's the consensus on the Senn 598s? I have Grado SR 80s that I love, but I decided to upgrade. I was planning on just stepping up to the 225s, but I remembered thinking the 598s looked really classy and they're priced very similar to the Grados. I really like the Grado sound but I heard that Sennheiser was trying to appease Grado fans with the 598, and I'd be interested in trying something a little different.

Also, both pairs don't require an amp, right?

Just looked again, and apparently the 558 are only like $30 cheaper than the 598. This doesn't seem right, I remember the 555 were a lot closer to $100 less than the 595. Does this mean that either the 558 are amazing or the 598 were a disappointment.

Eric WK

Izayoi said:

Uh, I like my iPod. A lot.

In fact, I'm about to grab my ESW9s and my iPod and walk to the supermarket. So there!

Izayoi

Banned
Eric WK said:
Uh, I like my iPod. A lot.

In fact, I'm about to grab my ESW9s and my iPod and walk to the supermarket. So there!
Why on earth would you pair such a nice pair of headphones with such a mediocre device. They deserve something much better.

Enron

Banned
all portable players are mediocre! Let's not make a bad situation worse by using mediocre or crappy equipment with them!

The only time I ever use my UE Triple-Fi 10s is with my iphone. COME AT ME BRO

Top Bottom