• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Concord (beta) review from the biggest Live Service fanboy known to man...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In 1941, the Japanese fighter plane known as the Zero was one of the best air to air fighters on earth. By 1945, they were tin cans, easily bested by more modern fighters.

You have to believe that everyone at Firewalk and PlayStation understands the value of competition, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of coming into a market like this in 2024.

"What is Concord going to do that improves on the established 5 v 5 shooter genre? Why should Overwatch, CSGO, and Valorant be worried about Concord?"

That HAD to be a conversation every day in Firewalks offices, right?

I've racked my brain and tried to come up with the most likely answers from Firewalk, for that question. Here are the 5 most plausible answers I can come up with. This is what Concord does "better" than everyone else...

1. "In 2015, Overwatch debuted with a really strong story trailer that everyone loved. Blizzard dropped the ball on that premise. We're not."

2. "We think a fundamental design flaw with the 5 v 5 hero shooter is people "maining" a preferred character. People play a singular character because it suits their playstyle and they want to win, but we feel this is detrimental to variety that players actually want."

3. Overwatch, Valorant, RS:Siege, and TF2 all basically have one mode. We're going to follow the Fortnite / Roblox model and create a multiple modes. This gives players added variety that we suspect they want, and it allows us to track what our players want."

4. We think our competitors games devolve after the first teamfight. Concord will push players into one or two teamfights and then we'll reset so our players can regroup and talk strategy."

5. Let's make it graphically impressive. Our audience wants best in class visuals.

If that's the presentation Firewalk gives to PlayStation, then...

glengarry-coffee-is-for-closers.gif

#1. What evidence tells Firewalk that PvP players want to watch story cutscenes? How utopian is the PvP player base (chuds, chads, jerks) that you think gay robots and gender confused aliens appeals to the guy who f****ed everyones mother on voice chat? That dude is EVERYWHERE in PvP games. It might be a worthwhile bet in a PvE game like Helldivers 2, but PvP? No way.

#2. I think this is a smart wrinkle, not a core pillar for why Concord can take out TF2, Overwatch, Valorant, and Siege. You can't get your friends on by telling them "They push you off your preferred hero so you have to get decent at 4 or 5 of them instead!" There's validity here, but it's a validity you can't sell.

#3. "A game for everyone is a game for no one" - Arrowhead Studios. The 5 or 6 different modes in this game step on eachothers toes. Characters are balanced for RIVALRY mode, but people seem to like playing BRAWL, which means half your roster is almost irrelevant.

#4. Another interesting wrinkle that's hard to sell. Concord plays like a football game. Your team chooses their characters, you talk about your strategy, then you have less than 50 seconds to execute before the play is over and it's 2nd down. You don't have any time to lurk because the round will be over 15 seconds after you get the idea.

#5. Dumb. Roblox, Minecraft, Fortnite, Valorant, League of Legends, CSGO are eating everyone's lunch and you want to win some "best graphics in a multiplayer game" award? Coffee is for closers.

Odd Notes:

- Holy leave game early Batman. More than 50 percent of your matches have a player leaving early. When one player does, you have a 96 percent chance that another player will within the next 60 seconds. I assume this gets corrected in full release but it kills the beta.
- The game doesn't feel good to play. In RIVALRY mode, all your characters start out underpowered because the CREW SYSTEM is designed as a power growth curve throughout the match. The means your first few rounds feel sloppy and some of your teammates are still "maining" a character because the CREW SYSTEM isn't explained well. It's crazy how bad this game is at telling you which of your bullets hit and which don't.
- The game is much more fun to play with friends, but having a 90 percent win rate gets old fast and playing solo is unenjoyable because no one talks in this game. Firewalk made the game a social one, but in doing so, hurt the solo experience. Not great for onboarding new players.
- The sense of progression in the beta is miserable. I've unlocked a pair of green socks, a ballsack weapon charm, and a beige weapon skin in all my time playing. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong but is winning and losing completely irrelevant when it comes to progression? The match end screen vomits XP cards on you whether it's a W or an L. This is a PvP game and it really feels like they want to give everyone participation trophies after a game...WTF.

Where will this game be on Steam after 4 months? 1k - 2k average players. I could not believe Halo Infinite was as bad as it was back in 2021. I can not believe how bad Concord is today. It really shows you how money and resources, which Firewalk had, don't guarantee a hit. Cuffbust is going to dogwalk this game. Cuffbust is made by a single 22 year old kid and he's making it in under 3 years.

PS: I'm officially challenging James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford to a fist fight in the Walmart parking lot of his choosing. I will pick the Limp Bizkit song that plays out of my 1993 Honda Del Sol. His crimes can not go unpunished.

dark-souls.gif

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Bruh, you've just invented five points the dev created and then explained why the devs were wrong.

Concord will 'flop' - and I use the term loosely - because people have an expectation that these styles of games are free and don't want to pay.

This isn't battlefield. You're not meant to just pick a class and 'main' it. You pick your character based on abilities or skills that are required, dynamically. If you're stubbornly sitting there picking your face character instead of picking the guy with abilities to help you counter your opponent then you're not playing it right.

I agree about the cut scenes or story things they were skipped immediately. Progression was just skins and I haven't got time to mess about in menus in deathmatch games.

Players leaving sucks but all it is missing is auto balance between rounds. The problem is as old as UT99.

I do agree that the counter strike survival mode doesn't suit the game and they'd be better adding more objective based respawn games. Even ticket bleed modes like BF.

Where can I buy tickets for the tight, and will this be FaaS?

This may be a crazy thought - hell it is one- but I wonder if at some point this game was supposed to be something else before getting converted to the live service hero shooter we have now. The (heavy) emphasis on cut scenes, nicely done facial animations, crew system, and even the the environments just feels like something they'd have left over from trying to make their own linear Mass Effect kind of game.

This may be a crazy thought - hell it is one- but I wonder if at some point this game was supposed to be something else before getting converted to the live service hero shooter we have now. The (heavy) emphasis on cut scenes, nicely done facial animations, crew system, and even the the environments just feels like something they'd have left over from trying to make their own linear Mass Effect kind of game.
Yeah man, it seems like it should be that way. Something akin to the outer wilds.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Bruh, you've just invented five points the dev created and then explained why the devs were wrong.
How do you think Firewalk would respond to that question? What 3 - 5 things do you think they'd hang their hat on as to why Concord is better than the established 5v5 shooters?

Roxkis_ii

I talked so much shit about Overwatch over it's lifetime, but Concord came out and really made me appreciate that overwatch's art style and classy fanservice.

I don't really care about the culture War stuff, but everyone seem pretty unattractive to me in concord. Lots of people have said the gameplay is good, but it's nothing about the game that's pulling me in. I'm so tired marvel movies, so anything like it so also going to be affected by that marvel fatigue.

Then the cost. The first Descendents and Zenless Zone Zero released and they seem like quality games dropping for free.99. Overwatch is free and a staple in the genre and has attractive heros.

I feel kinda sorry for the devs. Gameplay is the meat and potatoes of games, but if that gameplay comes in such an unattractive package, it stops people from waiting to try it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
How do you think Firewalk would respond to that question? What 3 - 5 things do you think they'd hang their hat on as to why Concord is better than the established 5v5 shooters?
I bet "A diverse cast of characters that underrepresented gamers will identify with, making them want to play as someone they feel represents them." is one of the answers on the list. I'm just guessing, though.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You forgot to talk about the lackluster character design and lack of visual identity. The character designs are bland and uninteresting and the visual style looks like a knock off of Guardians of the Galaxy. This shortfall unfortunately starts the game off on the wrong foot for many people.
It’s impossible to overstate the importance of character designs. Gamers want to play as cool, sexy, badass, visually striking, clearly masculine or feminine characters, especially in a freaking hero shooter game. Not a bunch of ugly Guardians of the Galaxy rejects made by feminists and body positivity activists from Tumblr.

Feels like they literally flushed a bunch of money down the drain and probably doomed their studio in the name of slacktivism.

Meanwhile The First Descendant has literally 100x as many concurrent players thanks almost entirely to badass characters with some sex appeal.

Mossybrew

You forgot to talk about the lackluster character design and lack of visual identity. The character designs are bland and uninteresting and the visual style looks like a knock off of Guardians of the Galaxy. This shortfall unfortunately starts the game off on the wrong foot for many people.
It's true. You think about Overwatch - those were some cool looking characters, you wanted to play as them, it drew your interest. Then you wanted to get skins for them. This game has no such style to latch onto and gain some initial interest - while the characters look good on a technical level, the art design is uninspired, ugly even. this group largely looks like a bunch of random cosplayers at a convention. Weak.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I don’t have a horse in this race but I find it hilarious that the Juno character trailer from Overwatch 2 has +/- the same amount of views as all Concord trailers combined. I can imagine some character designer absolutely fuming over this.

Maybe the game will still succeed though. If it doesn’t I hope the devs get a second chance and don’t get laid off.

The open beta has that number NOW. It's going to be doing Suicide Squad numbers after 4 months.
Give it 3 weeks to hit three digits. It could hold 1k+ players if it wasn't $40. Then sony will inevitably put this on PS+ catalogue to no avail, then make it F2P before pulling the plug. Games like this one don't survive unless they are FREE, spetacular, or innovative, three things Concord isn't.

Last edited:
Everyone is yelling that this game should be free to play (including me).

But what if it actually was? Would it be even successful then?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I bet "A diverse cast of characters that underrepresented gamers will identify with, making them want to play as someone they feel represents them." is one of the answers on the list. I'm just guessing, though.
Definitely a valid point.

But if this is the case, the people making that as one of their pillars need to be fired. I would not trust them to make good decisions going forward considering the PvP culture surrounding these games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes people are giving you shit but I think this is a pretty good thread. There had to be some pitch for this project, some reason for it to exist. It’s a good exercise to try imagining what that pitch might’ve been.

Appreciate this.

Always interested in hearing from the small but sane community on GAF. The crazies are easy to ignore.

KXVXII9X

I don’t have a horse in this race but I find it hilarious that the Juno character trailer from Overwatch 2 has +/- the same amount of views as all Concord trailers combined. I can imagine some character designer absolutely fuming over this.

Maybe the game will still succeed though. If it doesn’t I hope the devs get a second chance and don’t get laid off.
I'm not into the dumb culture war stuff like everyone else here is but from what I saw with the Juno trailer is that they showed a lot of her personality through the gameplay. She looked fun to play as and the way she is animated and how she looks so joyous really sells the "hero" in hero shooter. I don't get that same vibe with Concord characters as much.

Some of the characters by themselves aren't that bad, but I think Overwatch and the upcoming Marvel Rivals does a MUCH better job at showing personality with their characters through gameplay. The photorealistic look doesn't allow them to be more stylistic and have each character really stand out and play with and exaggerate shapes and animations.

Wildebeest

It is hard to beat hot new games which are on the cutting edge of technology and gameplay innovation, such as Counter-Strike and Banana.

At least I can find people to play with during the first couple of months after launch.
Lawbreakers ( yep I bought that) servers were empty by week 3.

Guilty_AI

I think those are valid points, and it all comes back to the fact many of these developers cannot understand players on a fundamental level. Heck, how unhinged the woke stuff is here is enough proof of that. Even Overwatch still tries to make their characters look attractive, despite the fact Blizzard dove head first into this cultural rot.

The attempt at giving variety as a differential is also an example of this fundamental misunderstanding. It sounds good on paper but many people playing live service games see those titles as their comfort zone, they are not interested in trying out new things if it deviates too much from what they're used to.

They do not want to play a new class or a different mode, because they don't want to bother learning anything new. They want to do what they always do, play by the same rules they play every day or every week. People who like trying out new things wouldn't even be bothering with live service games to begin with.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

F2P just lowers the barrier of entry but a crud game is still a crud game. More people join and more people leave. I see these gaashit devs proclaim their game to be a huge hit because N players played it, but it's like.. they downloaded a client, who cares? Who is spending money?

I think that charging is the right move usually. People have skin in the game.

It is not that hard to imagine how products like Concord and Suicide Squad can be conceived.

Most games take more than 5 years to develop these days and some of these concepts were probably a pretty good idea when they started production.

At some point they’ll have to make the decision: do we cancel this and not waste anymore resources on it or do we bite the bullet, finish the damn thing and hope for the best?

They didn’t cancel it.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Can someone post both James and MIB’s attributes page please? I need to know the stats for each fighter before making a bet of this magnitude. Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom