• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's already said we'll see both, and get a good look at Willas Tyrell. I wonder whose POV we'll see Highgarden through. Sam is an obvious choice given proximity, but he'd have to find a reason to leave "school."

My pick: Damphair. Euron is raiding the Shield Isles, and Garlan Tyrell is leading a large force to counter him. As of ADWD no one knows where the Damphair is. What if he travels to Highgarden in order to broker some type of deal - perhaps an offer to help betray Euron in exchange for something.

foxtrot3d

Banned
He's already said we'll see both, and get a good look at Willas Tyrell. I wonder whose POV we'll see Highgarden through. Sam is an obvious choice given proximity, but he'd have to find a reason to leave "school."

My pick: Damphair. Euron is raiding the Shield Isles, and Garlan Tyrell is leading a large force to counter him. As of ADWD no one knows where the Damphair is. What if he travels to Highgarden in order to broker some type of deal - perhaps an offer to help betray Euron in exchange for something.

Damphair working with greenlanders, nah dude you've been sipping on too much of that shade of the evening.

cashman

Banned
Whoops, I put it in a search for Grrm on twitter to read meltdowns and I stumbled upon that account without looking for the verified check mark.

So how if at all will this thread be affected by show spoilers?

We talk about them if they are relevant to how the books play out, otherwise show discussion should stick to the other thread.

Are you asking about spoiler tags? Well I don't think they should be tagged. The entire point of this place is to have a community thread to discuss things without having a bunch of black bars. It'd be really silly to be able to openly talk about show spoilers in the other thread, but not in here. It'd just end up pushing all the discussion to that thread.

Putting unpublished or unreleased material behind spoiler tags is reasonable, but not so much for a massively popular television show that almost everyone posting in this thread is watching anyway.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
We talk about them if they are relevant to how the books play out, otherwise show discussion should stick to the other thread.

Are you asking about spoiler tags? Well I don't think they should be tagged. The entire point of this place is to have a community thread to discuss things without having a bunch of black bars. It'd be really silly to be able to openly talk about show spoilers in the other thread, but not in here. It'd just end up pushing all the discussion to that thread.

Putting unpublished or unreleased material behind spoiler tags is reasonable, but not so much for a massively popular television show that almost everyone posting in this thread is watching anyway.

Uhhh what? I disagree completely. The non-readers have their "safe" thread where book readers are pretty much banned from posting, and the moderation is strictly enforced.

Why couldn't we have this for the strictly book stuff? This makes no sense.

Uhhh what? I disagree completely. The non-readers have their "safe" thread where book readers are pretty much banned from posting, and the moderation is strictly enforced.

Why couldn't we have this for the strictly book stuff? This makes no sense.

Is there actually demand for that? Otherwise all you will do is push the book discussion into the TV series thread. That already happens enough as it is. And the people posting in a spoiler community thread don't really need a safe place. The idea of applying strict moderation like that to this thread is honestly pretty horrifying.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'll have to give it some thought and discuss with a few people. In the meantime, just keep in mind that this thread is for book discussion, so if there are spoilers from the tv show that are past where ADWD ends, you should keep that conversation in the appropriate tv thread. TWOW preview chapters should also be under tags in here.

If you have strong feelings about thread policy, please send me a PM and lay out your concerns and suggestions. I'll read whatever you send and take it into consideration. I'd prefer to not have extended derails in this and everyone other GoT related thread about spoiler policy. It's become burdensome at this point.

So refresh me on why young Aegon being fake is a popular theory. I forget if I made that conclusion when I read ADwD, but I know it seems to be a popular theory.

Aiii

So not worth it
10389125_10152829670072734_7114779374824951518_n.png

Joni

I'd like to leave TV show talk out of this one, especially as it would mean I'd also need to skip this topic until I watch the show and I need to wonder if someone announced TWOW release date.

At this point I'm starting to think the TV show will have it's series finale way before Winds come out.

I believe its a fact

Nah I believe we will see Winds of Winter before series finale. What really bothers me is I'm 100% sure we will see the series Finale before the Final book is out. For me thats very dissapointing cause I would rather have entire series read before show ends. I didn't watch season 1 until I finished Dance. Didn't D&D say they plan to run 7 Seasons.

There are few things that I like about it:

1. The parallel that half-brothers Tyrion and Jaime both murder their fathers.
2. The 50:50 odds that a Targaryen is insane works out exactly for Jaime (sane) and Cersei (insane). When you look at their kids- Joffrey (insane), Tommen and Myrcella probably sane considering every character says how nice they are.
3. The only child Tywin actually had is the one he hated.
4. Ironically enough both Joffrey and Tommen would have royal blood even if they aren't legitimate kings.

Wow very interesting

Under normal circumstances I'd be fine with Jaime and Cersei being Targs. However it seems like it would be overkill in this series, given the amount of births/lineages in question already. Jon, Joffery and his siblings, the Baratheon bastards, Aegon, the baby switch at the Wall in AFFC...there's already too much lineage intrigue, adding two more major characters seems like a bridge too far. I know real life history is full of cases like these but still...

I like the idea that Jaime's vision was more metaphoric than 100% literal.

Kyougar

I was thinking about reading that thing that reconstructed Feast and Dance into one continuous, chronological volume. But I forgot what it's called o_o. It had a weird title like "bound leather" or something.

EDIT. Aha! I found it. http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a. Anybody try this?

I did that last year te refresh my knowledge (hoping twow would be out this year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

It is a greatly superior to reading it seperate.

Aiii

So not worth it
I did that last year te refresh my knowledge (hoping twow would be out this year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

It is a greatly superior to reading it seperate.

Been reading A Ball of Beasts in my rereads, it really does enhance the books to read them in the proper order.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Under normal circumstances is be fine with Jaime and Cersei being Targs. However it seems like it would be overkill in this series, given the amount of births/lineages in question already. Jon, Joffery and his siblings, the Baratheon bastards, Aegon, the baby switch at the Wall in AFFC...there's already too much lineage intrigue, adding two more major characters seems like a bridge too far. I know real life history is full of cases like these but still...

I like the idea that Jaime's vision was more metaphoric than 100% literal.

I don't understand why everyone thinks that every dream is prophetic and/or is the result of having dragon blood. Normal people have dreams.

Real Hero

Been reading A Ball of Beasts in my rereads, it really does enhance the books to read them in the proper order.
Agreed, even though it increases the issue of some characters only having very few chapters in a massive book its spreads out the Brienne and Tyrion chapters to the point where they are enjoyable diversions. I really enjoyed reading them together it just feels better to go from Storm of Swords to that rather than the split.

Brakke

Banned
Ehh why'm I going to buy a deluxe set of books before the series is done. Then I'll have 5 cool leather books on a shelf next to one shitty airport paperback?
Actually I'll have none of these things because Kindle.

I don't understand why everyone thinks that every dream is prophetic and/or is the result of having dragon blood. Normal people have dreams.

Because its a fantasy novel with magic and prophecies and a good fantasy author doesn't waste pages with useless descriptions of things that are largely irrelevant to the larger plot.

Oh.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/geor...ones-s5-and-the-winds-of-winter_video_2706537

Great interview with GRRM. She's awkward but he's giving out info.

Including this very BIG SPOILER:
OSHA WILL BE IN WOW!

Also, GRRM tweeted:

cWCGdTh.png

I like that he has his own Tolkien-like "brand" now.

Is he gonna keep some in reserve and wait to sell them at a higher price after they've been water damaged?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157840315]The only collection I'm interested in is when all the books are done and they get combined into a giant, ponderous tome in true medieval style.[/QUOTE]I would be interested in this hypothetical 50 lb book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom