• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A taste of next-gen (JAM)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Ermmm...I'd hope it'd look a hell of a lot better than that. We have better character models this gen.

element

looks a little different then when I saw it so long ago.

I dont know if I would want to have that shot released. Look, everything is floating :p

AniHawk

Mama Smurf said:
Ermmm...I'd hope it'd look a hell of a lot better than that. We have better character models this gen.

Yeah. I've only seen about 2-3 shots of supposed next gen shots and they haven't really looked that great.

element

p_bezerker.jpg

this is freaking next-gen!!

Mama Smurf

The models are rubbish, a lot of the textures are very poor (was that floor texture taken straight from Ocarina of Time?), there are jaggies and nothing looks that substantial (I guess that's a way of saying it looks like a low polygon count, I'm not sure).

The only things that are vaguely impressive are the number of things on screen and the lighting. Even those though aren't blowing me away. I know it's a work in progress, but that sucks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
element said:
looks a little different then when I saw it so long ago.

I dont know if I would want to have that shot released. Look, everything is floating :p

DeanoC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56503

Oxygen, I would never release anything on a public forum that was intended to stay private.

DeanoC posted that info himself and as the interview says, that code is running on modern PCs not at 10 fps like Unreal Engine 3.

Mama Smurf

oxy, are you expecting most games to look up to the level of U3, or is that Heavenly Sword thing more standard?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pana, Unreal 3 is most definitely not running at 10FPS. The game looked pretty smooth in their presentation.

This game reminds me more of PoP 2 than anything. Looks good, IMO, but like everyone else, I'd expect next gen games to look better.

These guys made Kung Fu chaos, right?

element

Panajev2001a said:
Oxygen, I would never release anything on a public forum that was intended to stay private.
I haven't. I didn't release the shot.

DeanoC posted that info himself and as the interview says, that code is running on modern PCs not at 10 fps like Unreal Engine 3.
the times I have seen it, it has been over 10 FPS.

oxy, are you expecting most games to look up to the level of U3, or is that Heavenly Sword thing more standard?
The power will be there for developers to do U3 looking graphics. But the time and staff needed to make the assets to achieve that look is going to be out of reach for 80% of developers in the world.

Mama Smurf

Well that's ok, it's not like I can afford 80% or even 95% of games released anyway.

Not that the good games will necessarily have good graphics, but there are normally enough games which do have both.

doncale

Banned
HS_Carnage_small.jpg

how can this crap be nextgen if its not running on XenonGPU, RevolutionGPU or VisualizerGPU ? which aren't even finished yet, by all accounts.

doncale

Banned
Unreal Engine 3 was said to be running at 15 to 25 frames per second, and thats about what it looked like to be in the demo videos

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
element said:
I haven't. I didn't release the shot.

Oxygen... let's try this again, shall we ?

I said: I would never release anything on a public forum that was intended to stay private.

You answer: I haven't.

Now, I could ask if that relates to the price of fish in Honolulu.

What do you mean by "I haven't" ?

One of the developers posts a link to an interview they gave to a publically accessible web-site and they give this web-site a screenshot.

How does this make me look like a criminal individual that wants to put shame on ultra early hard work of developers ???

B E N K E

It's all about getting in early and having a shout of getting a decent publishing deal for independents lika Just Add Monsters. I hope they can proceed with the project, next generation will be tough for small independents trying to pitch original IPs.

element

B E N K E said:
It's all about getting in early and having a shout of getting a decent publishing deal for independents lika Just Add Monsters. I hope they can proceed with the project, next generation will be tough for small independents trying to pitch original IPs.
they are owned 100% by Argonaut.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
it seems like you need Redbull ;)
Bah Redbull is weak.
You need to try some of the Japanese energy drinks - those things will keep you up for days. Or if taking them when you're not tired at all - you'll probably be unable to stand still for next hour or so :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Looks God of War with some higher res assets thrown around. *shrugs* I doubt that's the pinnacle of what next gen hardware will be able to do, but it's not really hard on the eyes either.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
kaching said:
Looks God of War with some higher res assets thrown around. *shrugs* I doubt that's the pinnacle of what next gen hardware will be able to do, but it's not really hard on the eyes either.

Look at the details, the modelling of the face is pretty nice if you see close-ups and lighting seems well done and so are the shadows.

Mama Smurf

Some bits are still a bit of a mess, but I have to admit, the video doesn't look half bad. The stuff going on in the distant background was nice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I need to wait till I get home tonight to download the videos and take a better look. Like I said, it's not hard on my eyes in any way, so I really don't care if it ends up being the first real proving ground of next gen consoles or not. I'm more interested in how it might play different than current gen software. Hopefully the vids will shed some light on that.

element

looks like god of war 2 :p

the videos show promise though.

if someone wants direct links to the vids, PM me.

Gerber

Banned
644_0002.jpg

The video shows a ton of promise for next gen. Not a real fan of the ART in this game, but the tech alone has me salivating.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Battling down a full army like that all at once with Ninja Gaiden precision would be like something right out of the new movie Hero. This is only being prototyped and is running on current high-end PCs, and the image quality of the shots isn't just promo screen idealism like it is with today's games.

They've got a development team to watch over there at Argonaut - already they've shown significant game-form characteristics in a prototype with dream-like lighting in art direction and scalability from detailed characters and battlegrounds to armies and cities.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ahem...

DeanoC

New postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I've now seen the movie so I can comment properly (now I know what I can mention and what not Wink )

Its worth nothing, its a game demo not a tech demo (well a few bits are). Surprised they decided to release it to the public, I guess it will help hype/public awareness.

To answer a couple of specific points, the last army scene (with the exploding guys) has no shadows as it has twice as many people as the other army scenes. We are CPU bound on PC in the army scenes at the moment and the extra shadow state change hurts. The army demos were done very quickly (about 1.5 programmers for 1 month) and we have learnt alot about rendering that many animating objects (each bloke is running a indepedent animated skin system). The main reason (apart from the cool demo factor Smile ) for the army is so the designers have a minimum number of people they can have on screen. We know we getting lots of CPU power in future, so we are certain the armies will scale well.

And yes dead enemies do sometimes float Embarassed Damn bugs Sad

Most of the day to day work is done on P4 3.0Ghz with ATI 9800 Pro's. The movie would have been made on a P4 3.4Ghz with a X800 (12 pipe) in it (that machine has a massive projector (we get to watch HS on a 10 foot screen Smile ) which we use for our meetings etc.). We have a bunch of NV40 to explore PS3.0 but the X800 (we currently only have the one) is a clear winner speed wise so is used for demo's etc.

Its worth noting that we manage to be bottlenecked by CPU, vertex shader or fill rate at various times in the demo. The exterior (the name we give the bridge bit) use lots of fill rate due to stencil shadows used for the distant shadows, the interior (the main bit with the girl kicking arse (well if your any good) ) is also fill rate bound. Army scene with the guys avoiding things is CPU bound, as it the 800+ demo. Fewer guys with less to think about (no avoidance) are vertex shader bound.

You can tell its real by that red line box that visible on some scenes. Thats an indiactor that you are using the 'debug' camera. Lets you fly around, guess they used it to get good camera angles.

Slo

As I've said over and over, people who think that the next generation of games machines will provide a n64--> xbox level of improvement are setting themselves up for disappointment. Next gen, the graphics hurdle will not be overcoming the limitations of the box, it will be overcoming the limitations of your staff.

Top Bottom