• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Final Fantasy XV |OT|: Tonberry in the House!!!

CvoNJvqXYAAVSMv.jpg
woooooohhhh nice!! Really suprised here.

woooooohhhh nice!! Really suprised here.

Something something this isn't a real Final Fantasy something something...

But seriously...it really feels like they trying to incorporate as much as possible. Malboros, chocobos, tonberries, behemoths, flans, imps, goblins, the list just goes on and on.

Koozek

What? I distinctively remember the PS Access guys did an interview with Tabata and he said no Tonberry. Apparently Tabata's "just saying" can go either side LMAO.

Maybe changed their minds and then no one asked about Tonberrys specifically since, so he probably didn't think of mentioning again. Or they wanted to keep it a surprise. We've known there are Tonberrys since April this year, though:
They said there is no Tonberry last year, but Game Informer said in their Q&A after they played the prologue a few months ago that they saw one in the monster gallery.

https://youtu.be/oiv16y2t0Ck?t=26m21s

LordKasual

Banned
Here is where that screen shot is from:

https://youtu.be/SNpmTY_sI_k?t=1414

I love how all 4 of them are wailing on it and he just goes *stab* and Noctis immediately is in critical HAH!

Wow...I thought that i saw Noctis using a Greatsword attack i've never seen before at 31:30....but it was just that the Royal Arm greatsword he's using has a completely different moveset.

This game has a ridiculous amount of animations...the Short Sword royal arm is the same way, noctis doesn't use it like regular swords.

And the scenery around the Duscae region in the final game....so freaking good. I was afraid the sky wouldn't have the same atmospheric radiance it had in Duscae, but around the 29-30 minute mark in that video, you can see it in its full glory.

Edit:

Also, another realization. The Royal Greatsword they find in the video (with the unique moveset) is what Noctis uses to parry Titan, regardless of which weapon you have equipped. I'm guessing that's how he does it? *shrug*

Driving at night in the rain looks super spooky as well. Pretty obvious but night time will be when we find the most hidden/coolest stuff in this game.

Kholdy

Neo Member
Holy shit. And there are still people who say this doesn't look like Final Fantasy. This game seems more of a classic Final Fantasy game than X, XII and XIII.

Yes, this and how they made some enemies extremely faithful to Amano's art. It just makes me fall in love with this game so much.
Hope to see more surprises!

Tyaren

Is there some sort of bestiary in the game? With all these amazing creatures and so much old fan favorites there simply needs to be something that keeps track of what you've uncovered so far and what not. But we haven't heard of anything like that, right? No bestiary would be a huge oversight. :(

Ishida

Banned
Just wanted to share this MAGNIFICENT fan art I found while touring around the Internet. I think it is one of the best I've seen for this game. I'm definitely making a desktop wallpaper out of this one!

tumblr_o7wr93unyB1qzvzo4o1_r1_500.png

Byvar

https://youtu.be/SNpmTY_sI_k?t=23m35s
"Let's regain our focus."
Ignis clearly doesn't like it when Noctis & co aren't listening to him.
The Tonberry looked really cool - I love a lot of the monster designs in this game. But I hate that he doesn't react to most of the hits at all, and sometimes just slides around when the party's animations get in his way. That's been an issue people had with the combat system since Duscae, hasn't it?

Also this conversation: https://youtu.be/SNpmTY_sI_k?t=30m43s
Given that it's just "random" banter, I think it's quite subtle, but...
it leads up to Ignis going blind, doesn't it? Ignis won't regain his focus ever again...
Only one more month and we'll find out!

wmlk

"Let's regain our Focus."

FNC confirmed.

And tbh, Tonberry is the one enemy that I would expect didn't react to enemy hits.

DrBretto

Banned
Welp, just had a quick chat with NoctisPendragon about that post about the Titan fight. He says that he remembers it 100% and those were comments being made by the devs at that event as reported through multiple people who were there.

Here is the actual source that he translated/interpreted:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/dragees/forums/message/816003689

So, take it for what it is, but apparently, this apparently isn't the only one who made that claim, just probably the only one you could link to.

Alive!

LordKasual

Banned
Man the difference in quality between now and the last time i saw Lestallum is staggering. The town looks so good now, and there's a good amount of NPCs running around too.

Maybe not quite like the uncovered footage, but it looks like a real town at least.

Iris' mannerisms are ridiculous, but her voice actor oddly manages to ground her so well that it's not even a problem to me.

Philippo

Welp, just had a quick chat with NoctisPendragon about that post about the Titan fight. He says that he remembers it 100% and those were comments being made by the devs at that event as reported through multiple people who were there.

Here is the actual source that he translated/interpreted:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/dragees/forums/message/816003689

So, take it for what it is, but apparently, this apparently isn't the only one who made that claim, just probably the only one you could link to.

Alive!

I hope you're right, but it sounds very weird that they'd cut out a part of the fight from a version that already has trophies on it. Plus the recent videos looked like it is supposed to end the way its now.
Idk, i hope there is more, but i'm ready to be disappointed.

LordKasual

Banned
Depending on whos playing, it's really not all that disappointing. I mean it would be cool to see Noctis wreck Titan FF7AC Cloud style, but maybe they're saving that for when Noctis is actually that OP.

If we're supposed to be able to fight and legit beat Titan, I don't see why Noctis isn't already strong enough to just walk into Insomnia and beat everyone's ass.

I want nothing more than to stop looking at these threads and spoiling little surprises like tonberry. At this rate there will be nothing left to surprise me. But I keep looking incessantly.

This wait is brutal.

Alright fine I give up. I've Been trying to avoid everything I can about this game since the duscae demo came out but I've come in and read this thread a few times and I need to watch something what are the best previews to watch?

DrBretto

Banned
I hope you're right, but it sounds very weird that they'd cut out a part of the fight from a version that already has trophies on it. Plus the recent videos looked like it is supposed to end the way its now.
Idk, i hope there is more, but i'm ready to be disappointed.

I'm not making any definitive claim, FTR. Just looking into the validity of the rumors.

There are more questions that it brings up, too:

-This does appear to be the singular source for both 30% and the different ways to end the fight rumors

-The Wiki article interpreted the line about the different endings to suggest that it doesn't end there, but reading the google translated source, it appears that it's referring to the same end point, but different ways to do it. This suggests it's something that was misunderstood from that original source.

Both of these tell me that the chances are, what we've seen is all there is. It just leaves enough doubt that it's not impossible there is more.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
atdNaxq.gif

This whole situation makes Ignis look drunk. "Let's regain our focus" multiple times followed by this pretty blatant miss. You do you fam.

Holy shit. And there are still people who say this doesn't look like Final Fantasy. This game seems more of a classic Final Fantasy game than X, XII and XIII.

Not only that, but an appearance of classic monsters that haven't been seen in decades. Monsters like Nagas....

Garulas...
latest

Bulette...

That and the ever-lovable Mind Flayers(Always love to see these guys appear in the FF series).

bigol

I hope cool monsters like Tonberry, Bombs and Iron Giants are not just out during night. It seems like the coolest looking monsters are only out during out looking at the recent gameplay videos.

Neonep

I hope this game knocks it out of the park. I hope it exceeds expectations and people dump their lives into this game. Ya'll deserve that.

Wow...I thought that i saw Noctis using a Greatsword attack i've never seen before at 31:30....but it was just that the Royal Arm greatsword he's using has a completely different moveset.

This game has a ridiculous amount of animations...the Short Sword royal arm is the same way, noctis doesn't use it like regular swords.

And the scenery around the Duscae region in the final game....so freaking good. I was afraid the sky wouldn't have the same atmospheric radiance it had in Duscae, but around the 29-30 minute mark in that video, you can see it in its full glory.

Edit:

Also, another realization. The Royal Greatsword they find in the video (with the unique moveset) is what Noctis uses to parry Titan, regardless of which weapon you have equipped. I'm guessing that's how he does it? *shrug*

This is awesome -- I'm still super hyped about finding all the royal weapons and seeing their unique moves/powers.

I wish, Gaf would abandon OT trying to be funny all the time, I hope we don't get some snarky nomuras vision or stella message on the OT, btw I'm willing to help with graphics, I have close to 15 years of experience using all adobe product's.
When we made the demo OT, Kagari and I didn't write anything snarky or about Stella. I'm not sure why you assume the actual OT would have that.

Socivol

Ignis is totally
going blind
this banter in the car about his
vision being passable without glasses is just too obvious

LordKasual

Banned
This is awesome -- I'm still super hyped about finding all the royal weapons and seeing their unique moves/powers.

Yeah, all of the royal arms ive seen, i thought were just special weapons that reused the basic weapon animations.

But no, the Greatsword, Short sword, and Axe all have completely unique attacks and warpstrikes. In that video, it looks like the greatsword has a warpstrike attack where he doesn't even throw the sword, just warps and smashes the hell out of them. With the axe, i think ive seen him throw it above the enemy, warp to it, and then bring it down.

And we already know about the Cross Shuriken, and there are early dev videos of the Katana...this game's armory is stacked.

Anyone seen the 'exclusive' beanie you get from best buy with the 100$ game + season pass?

Id post a picture if I was home.

Just a black beanie with a small chocobo on it, lol.

Yeah, all of the royal arms ive seen, i thought were just special weapons that reused the basic weapon animations.

But no, the Greatsword, Short sword, and Axe all have completely unique attacks and warpstrikes. In that video, it looks like the greatsword has a warpstrike attack where he doesn't even throw the sword, just warps and smashes the hell out of them. With the axe, i think ive seen him throw it above the enemy, warp to it, and then bring it down.

And we already know about the Cross Shuriken, and there are early dev videos of the Katana...this game's armory is stacked.

I knew about the Cross Shuriken/Katana but I didn't know this about the Axe and Greatsword (or didn't notice).

Do we have any gifs of these?

Top Bottom