• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Slow news week, and iphone agents has infltrated the thread. Honestly, if the Nexus is disappointing, I'll get the iphone to see what the fuss is about.

Well it seemed always like that to me. Just that they seem more vocal this year.

As for the iphone, its simply not a viable choice for me. Even if it was the only smartphone that existed. And not because I prefer Android over iOS (though I stick with iOS tablets). Its simply price. Hell the only reason I was able to get into the market was reasonable price of the Nexus 4 (which I still use). So theres no way I could consider an iPhone or any other similarly priced high end phone. Its 2-3 times more money than I'm willing to spend.

In a way its like video cards. Sure the Titan X and similar cards exist but they simply aren't an option for me when my videocard budget is like 2-300 USD. With phones its probably 400-450 USD outright. An 64gb 6S is like 1200 Australian dollars. Thats more than I spent on my PC build.

CronoShot

I lost interest in keeping up with technology over the past few years. You're telling me Samsung is where I should go for build quality now?

Pretty much all of the major players have good build quality now. HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola. LG still uses plastic I guess, but the leather back G4 is nice.

Samsung phones seem to have the least amount of compromise nowadays. Top tier screen, camera, processor, and build. Has wireless and fast charging. TouchWiz is no longer slow and you can theme it to look however you want.

Downside is the updates, which between all the customizations Samsung and the carriers do, we'll be lucky to see 6.0 on a carrier Samsung phone by the end of the year.

Every Android phone has compromises though. That's not likely to change with the new Nexus phones.

reKon

Banned
I loved my HTC One M7, but it's finally time to get a new phone. Probably going to get an M9. Any owners in here that could provide some quick impressions?

I'm more interested in if there have even been any m9 owners posting in this thread ever lol

I bet the 6P has a 3000mah battery.

And that's not a wink wink I bet. I'm actually guessing :p

The only time I ever saw a battery mentioned was one of the first specsheets I saw for it (the most recent one didnt say battery size) and it said 3150mah. But some other stuff on it was wrong so.

I dono!

EmiPrime

Android is all about customization. Just install Nova launcher or whatever you like the most and live the life of your dreams.

With this The Verge camera test and Android M closing the gap to iOS, let us all hold hands and be positive for the future. There can only be good things coming on Android.

4.4 leap frogged iOS, 6.0 is eating its lunch. iMessage is the only thing iOS does better than Android at this point. iPhone used to have the reputation for having the best camera and battery life but that isn't true anymore. 3D touch and live photos are seriously cool but Huawei already have the former and Google are working on the latter.

It's easy to be negative because there isn't one device to rule them all but this mythical device will probably never exist.

Quasar

to apple lack of sd card support isn't a compromise. I guarantee you they don't want it and never even consider it.

Obviously. For many users though no expandable storage and replaceable batteries are compromises. Of course as is clear from the market those compromises aren't deal breakers for enough of the market.

4.4 leap frogged iOS, 6.0 is eating its lunch. iMessage is the only thing iOS does better than Android at this point. iPhone used to have the reputation for having the best camera and battery life but that isn't true anymore. 3D touch and live photos are seriously cool but Huawei already have the former and Google are working on the latter.

It's easy to be negative because there isn't one device to rule them all but this mythical device will probably never exist.
huawei have the former? Again, it's all about implementation. Being "first!!!!" is no better than a commenter doing it on some tech blog lol.

Apple's 3d touch implementation is spot on.

VoxPop

Come into the light, my child

Gave them a shot with the S6 Edge, I'll pass. :)

Rushersauce said:
Because "VideoGif" and colors and all that were invented by Apple....

Of course not but it will be entertaining to see how they conveniently show up on their next phone.

EmiPrime said:

I don't get how 6.0 is eating it's lunch. I have a much more pleasant time using iOS over the latter. Huawei's implementation of Force Touch will be about as good as the Atrix's fingerprint scanner. I couldn't really care less about Live Photos though.

Quasar

I don't get how 6.0 is eating it's lunch. I have a much more pleasant time using iOS over the latter. Huawei's implementation of Force Touch will be about as good as the Atrix's fingerprint scanner. I couldn't really care less about Live Photos though.

Well I still think siri is a terrible joke compared to Google Now. And the recent google recog improvements have exacerbated it. Its one reason why the new AppleTV isn't something I'd buy.

VoxPop

Well I still think siri is a terrible joke compared to Google Now. And the recent google recog improvements have exacerbated it. Its one reason why the new AppleTV isn't something I'd buy.

I don't use neither so I wouldn't know. I used a bit of Google Now back then to try but all it did was stuff like give me tracking shipment info and directions to my office. Didn't need any of that. What exactly can I use Google Now for that makes it so amazing?

Well it seemed always like that to me. Just that they seem more vocal this year.

As for the iphone, its simply not a viable choice for me. Even if it was the only smartphone that existed. And not because I prefer Android over iOS (though I stick with iOS tablets). Its simply price. Hell the only reason I was able to get into the market was reasonable price of the Nexus 4 (which I still use). So theres no way I could consider an iPhone or any other similarly priced high end phone. Its 2-3 times more money than I'm willing to spend.

In a way its like video cards. Sure the Titan X and similar cards exist but they simply aren't an option for me when my videocard budget is like 2-300 USD. With phones its probably 400-450 USD outright. An 64gb 6S is like 1200 Australian dollars. Thats more than I spent on my PC build.
They are definitely more vocal this year. And I completely agree with you; I don't see why Iphones cost so much money in order own. I have the disposable income right now to get one if Android truly disappoints me though. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Quasar

They are definitely more vocal this year. And I completely agree with you; I don't see why Iphones cost so much money in order own. I have the disposable income right now to get one if Android truly disappoints me though. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Well iphone isn't alone there. I feel the same way about the Samsung phones which are similarly priced.

Maybe I would feel differently if it was my only computing device. But it isn't. Its way down there. If I'm honest my phone is mostly used for audio playback, some messaging (email, sms and other) and voice calls. Thats mostly it. I use my tablet and desktop much much more. So 1000$ phones every year or two are just head scratching.

Nexus 6P will probably have a 2600 mah battery and be $600.

I bet the 6P has a 3000mah battery.

And that's not a wink wink I bet. I'm actually guessing :p

The only time I ever saw a battery mentioned was one of the first specsheets I saw for it (the most recent one didnt say battery size) and it said 3150mah. But some other stuff on it was wrong so.

I dono!

3,300mah and starting $500.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
why do you guys need a new phone every year?
The phone I just got is the first I have purchased since 2013. Nothing last year really impressed me besides the G3 because most other Snapdragon 801 phones were no better than a Nexus 5 other the camera and battery. Same GPU, same CPU + 200 megahertz and same resolution. Better phones came out later in the year but by then you knew better SOCs were coming.

The phone I just got is the first I have purchased since 2013. Nothing last year really impressed me besides the G3 because most other Snapdragon 801 phones were no better than a Nexus 5 other the camera and battery. Same GPU, same CPU + 200 megahertz and same resolution. Better phones came out later in the year but by then you knew better SOCs were coming.

I have G3 just purchased actually two months ago for 300 outright. it has been amazing so far. very well phone.

tzare

to apple lack of sd card support isn't a compromise. I guarantee you they don't want it and never even consider it.
It is. Even if they don't consider it.
There are more: bezels, no waterproof, no wireless charging, no quick charging(out of the box at least 6&6+) , no led, no usb C, no replaceable battery, 16gb base model, gimped NFC,battery life on small iphone, pricing....

They get a pass because apple. Oh and now praise the gods for 3D touch... i may eat crow, but doubt it will become mainstream.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I might just have to be a pioneer. I've just loved both the HTC phones I've had. Starting with the Evo 4G. I know they're a shit show but they're my shit show.

I'm doing the homework for you. Used an M8 last year. Wonderful device aside from the camera. M9 apparently has a worse panel and perhaps a worse camera despite the megapixel count. Plus thermal issues. Folks here are doing you a solid by steering you away from it.

Anyway, my next two devices were samsung phones. Avoid them, software stinks, especially since you are used to sense, which performs on a whole different level from the garbage that is touchwiz. The s6 edge has the best smartphone camera and screen and top tier build quality, but I can't recommend it because the software stinks. So I just bought a G4. Should be here next week, I'll let you know how that goes. Apparently a very good camera and screen, plus SD and removable battery. Build quality doesn't match samsung but I got a brand new one with leather back for $450.

I loved my HTC One M7, but it's finally time to get a new phone. Probably going to get an M9. Any owners in here that could provide some quick impressions?

bought one at launch. if you loved the M7 you'll shit yourself over the M9. superior in every way, quite a few improvements.

better battery, better cam, better grip, better performance- its the most underrated phone out there.

It is. Even if they don't consider it.
There are more: bezels, no waterproof, no wireless charging, no quick charging(out of the box at least 6&6+) , no led, no usb C, no replaceable battery, 16gb base model, gimped NFC,battery life on small iphone, pricing....

They get a pass because apple. Oh and now praise the gods for 3D touch... i may eat crow, but doubt it will become mainstream.

Nah bro they don't consider any of those. So they get a pass.

Nah bro they don't consider any of those. So they get a pass.
the goalposts....they're moving!!

All I said was it's not a compromise. And it's not. A compromise has to be considered. It has to be "hmm I wish we could put both of these in but no lets sacrifice this". Apple isn't sacrificing that shite because they never considered not having those things.

The ONLY thing I'll concede is battery life. They could definitely make a thicker phone with a better battery but they'd rather sacrifice it for thinness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom