• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami_sama

Here is some none iPhone news

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...5x-with-dimensions-screen-size-and-lte-bands/

No wireless charging for the USA version of the 5X?

LLShC.gif

Carriers could be blocking it. They have already done it in the past. Could be something like the S4, allowing wireless charging with a separate cover.
I'm relieved for us GSM users, I read on reddit that it didn't have any type of wireless charging.

Edit: Also, the size in the FCC listing is different from the Amazon leak one. That gives less credibility to the 2GB rumor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
3D touch is the future, mr crow eater.

I'm happy to eat crow if it is amazing, but people were proclaiming it a game changer just after hearing about it Ithe apple conference, without even trying it for themselves or hearing proper impressions.

I still don't think it is a game changer. By definition it is a secondary input. But then I don't really see the fuss about multitouch - I rarely pinch to zoom, and on a small phone screen that can be fiddly. The main time I might zoom enlarge text on an website, and then double tapping works well too. Nice to have, sure, but not a game changer. Capacitive touch generally was though.

I'm happy to eat crow if it is amazing, but people were proclaiming it a game changer just after hearing about it Ithe apple conference, without even trying it for themselves or hearing proper impressions.

I still don't think it is a game changer. By definition it is a secondary input. But then I don't really see the fuss about multitouch - I rarely pinch to zoom, and on a small phone screen that can be fiddly. The main time I might zoom enlarge text on an website, and then double tapping works well too. Nice to have, sure, but not a game changer. Capacitive touch generally was though.

That's exactly what I said earlier in the thread. Multi touch is a gimmick, but it gave us much better screens are a part of it. I hope force touch can do he same.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the goalposts....they're moving!!

All I said was it's not a compromise. And it's not. A compromise has to be considered. It has to be "hmm I wish we could put both of these in but no lets sacrifice this". Apple isn't sacrificing that shite because they never considered not having those things.

The ONLY thing I'll concede is battery life. They could definitely make a thicker phone with a better battery but they'd rather sacrifice it for thinness.

I'm actually quite surprised battery life isn't a more important purchase driver. Sony go big in their advertising about a two day battery, but they don't see to get results from it. It is possibly the one feature that impacts everyone in a practical way.

of course Apple don't consider most things flaws. But that doesn't stop consumers from disagreeing with apples stance on what a phone should offer. SD card, waterproofness(?), resolution, price, widgets, notifications etc are arguably all areas where they could improve in the eyes of many consumers.

Toki767

I gotta say I'm kind of confused why Apple didn't adopt USB Type-C in the iPhone. They were playing it up so much in the new MacBook but it's like it has been dropped entirely.

Toki767

Also hooray. AT&T finally released 5.1.1 for the S6. Samsung Pay is included so I guess they were basically forced to release it lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't bother, it's in the title breh. You're fighting a losing fight. Let the Apple people talk about Apple and just skip over their posts like I do and you'll be fine.
Again, most people here are tech enthusiasts. Of course we will talk about Apple. That conversation is far more satisfying than the "I only have $10, what phone do I buy so I can complain about what it doesn't have later" or "I want a top of the line model for $5 because I spent my Amazon turk money on comics" posts. Or the posts complaining about no fingerprint sensors. Yeah, let's join two years ago. Apple stuff is the future of Android. How can we not be excited about the future of mobile UI?

Watching some iPhone 6s gaming videos. I didn't know there was that big of a difference graphically in games vs Android. Wow.
It's a massive difference.

longdi

Banned
Wow just touched the Z5/c in person. The new blockier frosted black may be Sony most beautiful design yet. I would say classiest looking phone I have ever seen!

Makes the rounded Z3+ or Ip6s look toyish and outdated in comparison. Sony design is just so contemporary

Wow just touched the Z5/c in person. The new blockier frosted black may be Sony most beautiful design yet. I would say classiest looking phone I have ever seen!

Makes the rounded Z3+ or Ip6s look toyish and outdated in comparison. Sony design is just so contemporary

That makes me even angrier that they didn't bother with wireless charging. It could've been perfect.

yogloo

I gotta say I'm kind of confused why Apple didn't adopt USB Type-C in the iPhone. They were playing it up so much in the new MacBook but it's like it has been dropped entirely.
Maybe they created a standard for everyone so they can beat it while everyone is adhering to that standard.

Man, watching the S6 multitask against the iPhone 6S is downright pathetic. I don't understand how Samsung justified that kind of a performance issue as a feature.

Jzero

Does Sony only make tiny phones?

tzare

Propietary connector. Just like no sd. It means €€€€€ .
People bitching about latest android phones not having type C was amazing, iphone 6S does not include it , and still no news if include fast charge out of the box and nobody complains.

And no problem about eating crow if proven wrong, but for me 3D touch is more of a optional/side improvement and nothing that makes me want it. Nothing i've seen is gamechanging, in fact i saw Erica Griffin's unboxing and it seemed too fail more than expected. Still do not see what improves over long press.

tzare

Again, most people here are tech enthusiasts. Of course we will talk about Apple. That conversation is far more satisfying than the "I only have $10, what phone do I buy so I can complain about what it doesn't have later" or "I want a top of the line model for $5 because I spent my Amazon turk money on comics" posts. Or the posts complaining about no fingerprint sensors. Yeah, let's join two years ago. Apple stuff is the future of Android. How can we not be excited about the future of mobile UI?

Android stuff is the future of iphone. Remember big screens? Or new multitasking tabs on ios that look like lollipop ones? This goes boths ways.

Plus i find more interesting sometimes the cheap phones talk. Really having waterproof phones or finger print scanner in low budget phones is amazing as is good performance. My mother does not need a note 5 or an iphone. That is enough for gmaps whatsapp facebook and candy crush.

People bitching about latest android phones not having type C was amazing, iphone 6S does not include it , and still no news if include fast charge out of the box and nobody complains.

And no problem about eating crow if proven wrong, but for me 3D touch is more of a optional/side improvement and nothing that makes me want it. Nothing i've seen is gamechanging, in fact i saw Erica Griffin's unboxing and it seemed too fail more than expected. Still do not see what improves over long press.

So far, force touch seems more useful than Type C.

kami_sama

Maybe it has 1GB powered and 2GB unpowered RAM :p

I don't think there's any way to use the phone without powering all the ram chips at the same time. While the more chips you have, the more consumption, I think it's negligible compared to the power used by the SoC or the display. Each ram iteration consumes less power, though.

tzare

So far, force touch seems more useful than Type C.
Oh yes. Agree. Also would choose it over stereo speakers personally, but not over IR blaster for example.

I am more worried about Samsung going the apple way dropping features because i see no real successor to my note 4 next year unless i want to have a less capable phone.

I also think huawei fingerprint scanner being a input method is more interesting than 3d touch

Oh yes. Agree. Also would choose it over stereo speakers personally, but not over IR blaster for example.

I am more worried about Samsung going the apple way dropping features because i see no real successor to my note 4 next year unless i want to have a less capable phone.

I also think huawei fingerprint scanner being a input method is more interesting than 3d touch

Would love it if Google is hiding an IR blaster in that 6P visor. Also hoping that Type C is of the USB 3.0 variety but I ain't holding my breath. At least include quick charge 2.0. Bum ass one plus couldn't get it done, so hopefully it is still possible. Will be getting the 6P in 128 for sure. Not sure what color.

Wifey just got her rose gold 128 6s and 3d touch is the shit quite honestly. Hoping android adopts that as well. Looking forward to the future of mobile in general.

Ty4on

I don't think there's any way to use the phone without powering all the ram chips at the same time. While the more chips you have, the more consumption, I think it's negligible compared to the power used by the SoC or the display. Each ram iteration consumes less power, though.

'Tis a joke. RAM power consumption isn't trivial though, especially in a device that stays in standby for so long.

Fast memory (for high throughput -> high res displays) are especially heavy on power.
The current GDDR5 power consumption situation is such that by AMD's estimate 15-20% of Radeon R9 290X's (250W TDP) power consumption is for memory.
Apple's and oranges, but good luck getting concrete numbers from phone OEMs and chip manufacturers. I guess it is proof enough that Apple gave most iPads their own A?X chip with double the bus width.

tzare

Wifey just got her rose gold 128 6s and 3d touch is the shit quite honestly. Hoping android adopts that as well. Looking forward to the future of mobile in general.
Good to ear. I still have maintain my opinion abot 3d touch, but hope i am proven wrong since we have been stagnant on hw for almost 2 years now, just incremental updates.

kami_sama

'Tis a joke. RAM power consumption isn't trivial though, especially in a device that stays in standby for so long.

Fast memory (for high throughput -> high res displays) are especially heavy on power.

Apple's and oranges, but good luck getting concrete numbers from phone OEMs and chip manufacturers. I guess it is proof enough that Apple gave most iPads their own A?X chip with double the bus width.

I didn't think the consumption was so high. with 3d xpoint next year we could have a ram-like permanent storage that doesn't consume power in standby. It's still no ram in speed and access time though.

Pachimari

I should go try it out today as well.
And see if I can get my LG G3 repaired or replaced.

Really want to buy a £260 Nexus 6 from ebay, but I just need to wait until the 29th incase Google announces some amazingly priced Nexus 6P, that will be released in October.

Denton

I just got Asus Zenfone 2 64GB. I drowned my previous phone in aegean sea, yay. Was thinking about Honor 7, Lenovo Vibe Shot and few others, but when I saw this zenfone and its 64GB of memory, SD card support, 4GB RAM and huge size that would hopefully prevent me from drowning it, as well as its good reviews, I could not resist.
So far I am satisfied, it is wonderfully quick no matter the amount of stuff running, no delays or lags anywhere.
Anyway, being new to android, what apps should I get/are useful ?
So far I only bought and downloaded few games, GTA Chinatown Wars (always wanted to play that), FRAMED (Kojima's GOTY), Monument Valley (House of Cards hype) and Asphalt (pretty graphics). All run and look great.

See like this post, something about Apple or something. Who cares. 👍

EmiPrime

I just got Asus Zenfone 2 64GB. I drowned my previous phone in aegean sea, yay. Was thinking about Honor 7, Lenovo Vibe Shot and few others, but when I saw this zenfone and its 64GB of memory, SD card support, 4GB RAM and huge size that would hopefully prevent me from drowning it, as well as its good reviews, I could not resist.
So far I am satisfied, it is wonderfully quick no matter the amount of stuff running, no delays or lags anywhere.
Anyway, being new to android, what apps should I get/are useful ?
So far I only bought and downloaded few games, GTA Chinatown Wars (always wanted to play that), FRAMED (Kojima's GOTY), Monument Valley (House of Cards hype) and Asphalt (pretty graphics). All run and look great.

Nova Launcher, Pushbullet, DashClock, MX Player, Twilight and all the Google apps.

Hangouts 5.0 to come soon?

Hangouts 5.0 will launch #soon . The latest version has all of the lag fixed. No more lag when starting a conversation. No more lag when typing messages. No more viewing the main tab and not seeing updated conversations. I'm not sure if we'll see it on Tuesday or later when Marshmallow officially launches.

Wreav

Banned

Most iPhone users don't give a shit about that stuff. They live their lives using their phone as an accessory, not the core focus of their world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom