• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

I really hope the Sony Z5 phones turn out well. They could be onto a winner there.

I'm still thinking on going like BBoy AJ here and "vote" with my wallet. Because I really like the phone and I think they deserve some praise on what they've been doing on the smartphone front. But it's hard when you also have the money for an iPhone.

I feel like I've heard this news before.
we have to believe goddamnit

I'm still thinking on going like BBoy AJ here and "vote" with my wallet. Because I really like the phone and I think they deserve some praise on what they've been doing on the smartphone front. But it's hard when you also have the money for an iPhone.
always vote with your wallet. Nobody owes anyone anything or should make excuses for any company. And when ______ does something you like, go back to rewarding them :p

EmiPrime

Just give it a couple of months for the dust to settle and you'll know what to do!

Shame about the lack of wireless charging and USB-C.

I just got Asus Zenfone 2 64GB. I drowned my previous phone in aegean sea, yay. Was thinking about Honor 7, Lenovo Vibe Shot and few others, but when I saw this zenfone and its 64GB of memory, SD card support, 4GB RAM and huge size that would hopefully prevent me from drowning it, as well as its good reviews, I could not resist.
So far I am satisfied, it is wonderfully quick no matter the amount of stuff running, no delays or lags anywhere.
Anyway, being new to android, what apps should I get/are useful ?
So far I only bought and downloaded few games, GTA Chinatown Wars (always wanted to play that), FRAMED (Kojima's GOTY), Monument Valley (House of Cards hype) and Asphalt (pretty graphics). All run and look great.

Thanks for the impressions on your android phone. This device is on my radar to replace my dying note 2.

Husker86

Also hooray. AT&T finally released 5.1.1 for the S6. Samsung Pay is included so I guess they were basically forced to release it lol

Mine failed to install the update, and when I went to check again it shows that damn 24 timer bullshit.

Can't wait to be done with this phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mine failed to install the update, and when I went to check again it shows that damn 24 timer bullshit.

Can't wait to be done with this phone.

Mine updated. Some icon changes, Samsung Pay is there but doesn't work yet. Should I factory reset? I have one week before my next phone gets here, I'm willing to give it one last shot, I love the screen and camera.

LeleSocho

Banned
100%

The phone itself is awesome. IOS isn't

Are you aware that an hypothetical iPhone with Android would work like crap right? Not for demerits of the OS but because it's optimized differently, you would have a slow phone that can't multitask nearly as well that lasts half the time that it does on iOS.
Do not kid yourself unless you do some heavy modification on how the OS works Android on iPhone would be pure trash and if you go the long mile to do these modification it would be less of a pain to just use iOS or modify it to your liking.

gcubed

Are you aware that an hypothetical iPhone with Android would work like crap right? Not for demerits of the OS but because it's optimized differently, you would have a slow phone that can't multitask nearly as well that lasts half the time that it does on iOS.
Do not kid yourself unless you do some heavy modification on how the OS works Android on iPhone would be pure trash and if you go the long mile to do these modification it would be less of a pain to just use iOS or modify it to your liking.

Yes, I understand. It's more of a reference to how the iPhone is a perfect phone for ios and with android there is always a compromise on every phone.

The phone wouldn't be slow though, the processors that Apple makes are legit, the memory and battery would be less than ideal.

Pachimari

Okay, so I am going to the mall right now to look for a new phone. I think I have a budget for any Android phone besides the iPhones and I'm not that fond of Samsung. I had a LG G3 until a few days ago.

Which one should I go take a look at?

Okay, so I am going to the mall right now to look for a new phone. I think I have a budget for any Android phone besides the iPhones and I'm not that fond of Samsung. I had a LG G3 until a few days ago.

Um can you list stuff they have so we don't recommend phones they don't offer?

gcubed

Samsung, LG, Moto X, then wait for Tuesday and see what you get there

Pachimari

They pretty much have most of the phones of what I am aware. They have a huge phone section with tons of phones. Samsung, Huawei, Sony, Microsoft, HTC, Alcatel, Doro, LG etc. All of their top phones as well.

I have ruled out the HTC M9 because I want a good camera for when I go on vacation to Spain soon.

I'm thinking of the LG G4, because it is supposed to have a good camera, and I like removable batteries, but I'm worried if that is the cause of my LG G3 dying.

None of he phones really impress me though, but I need a phone as I have none.

Reckoner

If you are even considering an iPhone, shouldn't you wait for next month when they come out in Spain? But yeah, share with us the phones they have available.

kami_sama

If you liked the G3, the G4 is algo good and it's cheap. You can also look for the Moto X Pure. But if you need a transitional phone, I would recommend a Moto G 2015 2GB. Good performance, great battery, and only ~$200.

Pachimari

If you are even considering an iPhone, shouldn't you wait for next month when they come out in Spain? But yeah, share with us the phones they have available.
But I'm not considering an iPhone. I have a budget for all the other phones though.

If you liked the G3, the G4 is algo good and it's cheap. You can also look for the Moto X Pure. But if you need a transitional phone, I would recommend a Moto G 2015 2GB. Good performance, great battery, and only ~$200.
Yeah, maybe I should look for a transitional phone till something else comes along.

Guys....I was determined to make this a skip year, but the 5X is gaining on me, what are the chances of it working on Verizon? I'd say it's basically a crap shoot.

Pachimari

I think these are the basics I want:

32gb internal
MicroSD card expansion
Great battery (after having suffered with the G3 16gb)
NFC (for mobile payments)
Fast processor
Superb camera (it is one of the most important things to me)

It might be nice with a smaller phone this time and fingerprint scanner is interesting but a bonus. Wireless charging would be nice, and Qi charging isn't necessary.

kami_sama

Well, yeah, but we're talking about the 6P :p
The 5X looks like a great phone, ticking (almost) every box for me. Only thing I'm not sure on is the ram. For I'll trust androidpolice, but until Tuesday, we won't know.

I think these are the basics I want:

32gb internal
MicroSD card expansion
Great battery (after having suffered with the G3 16gb)
NFC (for mobile payments)
Fast processor

It might be nice with a smaller phone this time and fingerprint scanner is interesting but a bonus.
No phone has everything. The play has everything but the fast processor. The Pure has worse battery life, although compared to your g3, I don't know). OPT lacks NFC. 5X and 6P will most probably lack SD card support, etc...

SimleuqiR

So for the Nexus gafers, would you like it if Google would offer a lease service on Nexus devices? Say they give us higher specs (better hardware) at a higher price but you pay a monthly installment. And you get the chance to upgrade every year, but your installment price stays the same?

They might be doing this with Google Fi down the road...who knows.

kami_sama

So for the Nexus gafers, would you like it if Google would offer a lease service on Nexus devices? Say they give us higher specs (better hardware) at a higher price but you pay a monthly installment. And you get the chance to upgrade every year, but your installment price stays the same?

I don't know. Nexus phones have a greater lifespan due to Google providing direct updates and users that are willing to tinker with their devices. Samsung could do it, their phones being locked, though.

gcubed

Eh, id rather they make a small compromise and keep the price lower... But honestly until they add something like ATT into the usable network in Fi, it's not a feasible service to me.

Ultimately I'd rather see mediatek catch on to give Qualcomm some real competition

Admodieus

If the 6P has more memory, wireless charging, and a better camera than the 5X, I might have to bite the bullet and go with the bigger phone.

Pachimari

Have just been looking at all of the phones. They don't have Motorola, so so far it gotta be between the LG G4 or Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. I didn't get to try out the Z5 which I wanna try first.

They both have great cameras, batteries and MicroSD ports. Unfortunately the Z5C only has a 720p screen.

kami_sama

Have just been looking at all of the phones. They don't have Motorola, so so far it gotta be between the LG G4 or Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. I didn't get to try out the Z5 which I wanna try first.

They both have great cameras, batteries and MicroSD ports. Unfortunately the Z5C only has a 720p screen.

And 2GB of ram, and while some think it is enough, I think it's necessary for futureproofing.
Verizon could still block it though, right? Wouldn't be the first time for them.
I think the Nexus 5 had the necessary band, but was blocked by verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom