• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AndyPants Gaming: The Pussification of Videogames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawg,
  • I asked for a common definition on the term woke, so we're on the same page, can even get that. Instead someone referring to some private language horseshit definition.
  • Getting called bad faith for having a moderate stance on the whole thing. Meanwhile others see woke/inclusivity as inherently evil and destructive without any measurable proof other then 'feelz'
  • I asked for one the folks on here kindly if he could describe my position back to me, just so that we can understand each other. Didn't hear back.
I'm getting trolled over here hahaha. It must be. It's been fun guys, i'm out this retard hole.
You were given a definition (several, in fact, as I expounded upon the original definition with clarification, all of which you refused to respond to), and you chose to simply ignore it. Instead, you relied on a rebuttal from Wikipedia, which is again a notoriously unreliable source of information, especially when it comes to political and ideological leanings. When that was pointed out, you dismissed it without a second thought. Your stance isn't moderate. It's objectively wrong. Inclusivity and diversity aren't inherently 'woke.' It becomes 'woke' when these concepts are forced in at the expense and detriment of merit or quality or other people. This isn't about "feelz." It's about reality. You've been presented with examples, but because they challenge your worldview, you dismiss them outright. You’re not being trolled. You’re just entrenched in a perspective that refuses to acknowledge any view that doesn't align with your own.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Anything to do with diversity, equity, and inclusion is woke. It’s also themes surrounding colonialism, intersectionality, institutional racism, identity politics, and feminism on top of many other leftist themes.

If you’re straight, that’s a paddlin’, if you’re White, that’s a paddlin’, if you’re Christian, well you better believe that’s a paddlin’.
That’s such a broad definition as to be basically useless. Civ IV: Colonization has themes about the slave trade and extermination of native Americans, is that woke? Where do you draw the line at diversity as well, who decides if a game has enough African or Asian characters? Some people think Last Epoch is woke because the Paladin character is black, is that correct? Or Space Marine 2 having a black Space Marine?

That’s such a broad definition as to be basically useless. Civ IV: Colonization has themes about the slave trade and extermination of native Americans, is that woke? Where do you draw the line at diversity as well, who decides if a game has enough African or Asian characters? Some people think Last Epoch is woke because the Paladin character is black, is that correct? Or Space Marine 2 having a black Space Marine?

The term ‘woke’ as utilised is indeed a broad church. That’s in fact the point.

I can’t comment on your other examples but in Space Marine 2 it may indeed be ‘woke’ to include a black Space Marine. It of course depends on which Chapter the character belongs to. It’s ok though, if the marine in question is a Salamander then everyone will immediately consider him the best. That’s lore friendly.

Last edited:
'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years with the help of the wider appeal.

I prefer my 'more grounded' character writing in games too, don't get me wrong. But the 'pandering to a wider audience' is capitalism 101 and only seems to work in their favor, so they'll definitely continue with that.

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jpg

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war retards, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱

Firstly, gaming wasn't woke over the past 20yrs. More like the past 5yrs, and when you correct for the pandemic impact, you'll probably find console and PC revenues have dropped within that period (they certainly look more flat in your graph).

Secondly, revenues have increased far far far more due to spend on MTXs than full game purchases. You only need to look at the financials of the big pubs to see this trend.

So what does that tell ya? Well, yeah, gamers have had enough with the woke tripe new releases and so are increasingly spending more time and money on core GaaS games that can keep and maintain their interest.

When you look at the biggest most successful of them, e.g, GTA V: Online, they're the furthest thing from woke one can imagine. And yet previously successful GaaS games like Destiny 2 going full woke with the LightFall expansion tanked the game, the player base and very nearly tanked the studio had they not managed to deceive Sony into acquiring them.

No, I’ll give you an example:

Spawn = cool and not woke.

Black Spider-Man = woke, even though I kind of like Miles they only made him to go with the times

Firstly, gaming wasn't woke over the past 20yrs. More like the past 5yrs, and when you correct for the pandemic impact, you'll probably find console and PC revenues have dropped within that period (they certainly look more flat in your graph).

Secondly, revenues have increased far far far more due to spend on MTXs than full game purchases. You only need to look at the financials of the big pubs to see this trend.

So what does that tell ya? Well, yeah, gamers have had enough with the woke tripe new releases and so are increasingly spending more time and money on core GaaS games that can keep and maintain their interest.

When you look at the biggest most successful of them, e.g, GTA V: Online, they're the furthest thing from woke one can imagine. And yet previously successful GaaS games like Destiny 2 going full woke with the LightFall expansion tanked the game, the player base and very nearly tanked the studio had they not managed to deceive Sony into acquiring them.

Shhh… stop making sense.

H HL3.exe will simply ignore your points then demand that you explain his position back to him. You are better off not getting involved.

Black Spider-Man = woke, even though I kind of like Miles they only made him to go with the times
He's not a black Spider-Man. He's a different Spider-Man. Peter Parker exists in the same universe. They didn't race swap Peter Parker. There are certainly woke elements in the movies (I haven't read the comics), but him being black isn't one of them. Miles Morales is also a well written and relatable character.

Last edited:

Raven117

There is no question that big budget gaming (ie consoles, and other "big" releases) are having an issue. Whether its because of the video's stated reason, over saturation of all games, we just don't know. There is no question that "woke" (ie, not grizzled space marines) is in vogue right now, but its correlation, not causation.

All I know is...this generation is just kinda meh. There hasn't been banger after banger. There have been alot of above average games, but few that were like "woah..."

Zathalus

The term ‘woke’ as utilised is indeed a broad church. That’s in fact the point.

I can’t comment on your other examples but in Space Marine 2 it may indeed be ‘woke’ to include a black Space Marine. It of course depends on which Chapter the character belongs to. It’s ok though, if the marine in question is a Salamander then everyone will immediately consider him the best. That’s lore friendly.
He is a Ultramarine. Which recruit from over 500 worlds, so it really shouldn’t be a problem. Yet some people get upset by it despite black Space Marines outside of the Salamanders existing for a while now.

Pretty ambiguous then. It basically boils down to what annoys people. You don’t like Miles, lots of people don’t mind him so him being woke is up in the air. Concord is much easier to label woke because most people hate it.

He's not a black Spider-Man. He's a different Spider-Man. Peter Parker exists in the same universe. They didn't race swap Peter Parker. There are certainly woke elements in the movies (I haven't read the comics), but him being black isn't one of them. Miles Morales is also a well written and relatable character.

No they didn’t race swap, they just killed the character and replaced him with a Black guy. Why not make him Asian? Because Marvel needed more inclusivity and only certain things are seen as being inclusive.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Just watched the entire video

Kinda refreshing to see someone in 2024 just call it how it is and not beat around the bush or mince words.

The industry is struggling right now because it has completely turned its back on the demographic that built it. Gaming has objectively become worse in the last 5 years.

That's exactly what's happening. Not just in gaming, you see the same thing in Hollywood. The reason why all these Star Wars movies and tv shows are failing is because they're trying to broaden the audience by appealing more to women. They don't understand that women have never been the core audience of SF shows and that all they're doing is pissing off their traditional male audience.

He is a Ultramarine. Which recruit from over 500 worlds, so it really shouldn’t be a problem. Yet some people get upset by it despite black Space Marines outside of the Salamanders existing for a while now.

Pretty ambiguous then. It basically boils down to what annoys people. You don’t like Miles, lots of people don’t mind him so him being woke is up in the air. Concord is much easier to label woke because most people hate it.

I actually don’t mind Miles, but there are certainly some woke themes there.

There is no question that big budget gaming (ie consoles, and other "big" releases) are having an issue. Whether its because of the video's stated reason, over saturation of all games, we just don't know. There is no question that "woke" (ie, not grizzled space marines) is in vogue right now, but its correlation, not causation.

All I know is...this generation is just kinda meh. There hasn't been banger after banger. There have been alot of above average games, but few that were like "woah..."

This! Games are prettier and more expansive than ever but gameplay has stagnated.

Things that I could swear would become the norm such as destructible environments and an increased use of physics have sort of faded into obscurity. It’s truly bizarre.

Wildebeest

That's exactly what's happening. Not just in gaming, you see the same thing in Hollywood. The reason why all these Star Wars movies and tv shows are failing is because they're trying to broaden the audience by appealing more to women. They don't understand that women have never been the core audience of SF shows and that all they're doing is pissing off their traditional male audience.
If anything, Hollywood is fucked because since the DVD market died, there is no stable income for lower budget films that are not lowest common denominator trash like Superhero or Horror content. Games are about ready to hit that wall as well once the traditional retail game market gives up the ghost. The people who talk about traditional retail type games being saved by raising the box price to cover rising expenses are living in a fantasy world of the past. OK, as long as your game is the equivalent of Avengers End Game.

Yes but the difference is the game is set in its time. It’s not about a modern college feminist working to dismantle the racist patriarchy that is America circa 2025.

There is no standard nor should there be. Its not a matter of how many this or that there is. Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Steve Urkle… mostly Black, mostly great, certainly not woke.

If the content is organic, good, and true that’s all that matters.

You do realize Miles was first introduced like 14 years ago right? He isn't some new creation .....

So what? You think this stuff just magically poofed into existence a few months ago? It’s only been accelerating. At least back then it resulted in a fairly good character. Now you don’t even get that.

Nah, this is not the best example. As MM is not a recent creation, although I do agree that comic audiences did not receive him well and so most of the MM comic sales have been utter shit compared to PP Spider-Man comics.

MM as a character in the Spiderverse, is just another Spider person, just like Spider Gwen. He's not inherently woke. What is woke, however, is any storyline that attempts to denigrate Peter Parker and ruin his character in favour of replacing him with Miles Morales. Those storylines were categorically rejected by fans; e.g. hence why the Enter the Spiderverse movies did amazing and were celebrated by fans, whereas the Spider-Man 2 Insomniac games have been almost universally shat on as being woke trash and for good reason.

Why not make him Asian?
Asians are indeed excluded the most because of DEI.
If you guys want to have a fun experience, the entire series of the Japanese Spider-Man TV show was uploaded to youtube (use auto-translate to english in the subtitles menu):

It has a pretty interesting plot setup

Motorcycle racer Takuya Yamashiro witnesses a UFO fall to Earth, a space warship called the Marveller. Takuya's father Dr. Hiroshi Yamashiro, a space archaeologist, investigates the case, but is killed upon finding the spaceship. The incident attracts the attention of Professor Monster and the evil Iron Cross Army, an alien group that seeks to rule the universe.

Takuya follows Hiroshi to the Marveller and discovers Garia, the last surviving warrior of Planet Spider, which was destroyed by Professor Monster and the Iron Cross Army, and was hunting Professor Monster. However, he needs someone to take up the fight and injects Takuya with some of his blood, giving him spider-like powers. He also gives him a bracelet that activates his spider protector costume, shoots web-lines, and controls the Marveller, which can also transform into the giant mecha Leopardon. Using his powers, Takuya fights Professor Monster and the Iron Cross Army as well as other threats to Earth under the name Spider-Man.

Here are some other, more recent examples:

Also it's been cool to finally see Peni Parker star in a video game recently:

sddefault.jpg

I think the Spiderverse movies might have helped the other spidermen gain some interest amongst the more casual fans.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Ok ok... I got a good one to make this argument fun. Kratos God of War 1-3 and now God of War 2018-RG. I feel like he's manly af. But the way he is now is a bit feminine. Like just cause he's a dad, he has to have feelings. His first family, he didn't care thaaaaat much for his daughter unlike Atreus.

Same thing with the Prince of Persia 2008. Went from the Classic Stoic Prince to that.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They wanted to appeal to annew audience, but this audience scream a lot and doesn't buy much. That's why some games like Concord failed

Ozriel

M$FT
'My own definition'? I'm not the one over here making up fantasy descriptions.

lol, I was actually backing you up there. I may have worded it poorly I meant the ‘originally’ line in the definition you dropped insinuates that there’s some new, twisted interpretation these days, which is what the other guy is relying on.

Generic

Nah, this is not the best example. As MM is not a recent creation, although I do agree that comic audiences did not receive him well and so most of the MM comic sales have been utter shit compared to PP Spider-Man comics.

MM as a character in the Spiderverse, is just another Spider person, just like Spider Gwen. He's not inherently woke. What is woke, however, is any storyline that attempts to denigrate Peter Parker and ruin his character in favour of replacing him with Miles Morales. Those storylines were categorically rejected by fans; e.g. hence why the Enter the Spiderverse movies did amazing and were celebrated by fans, whereas the Spider-Man 2 Insomniac games have been almost universally shat on as being woke trash and for good reason.
The second Spiderverse movie had a lot of things that are considered 'woke', like trans flags, a pregnant Spiderwoman fighting and 'body diverse' female characters.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Ok ok... I got a good one to make this argument fun. Kratos God of War 1-3 and now God of War 2018-RG. I feel like he's manly af. But the way he is now is a bit feminine. Like just cause he's a dad, he has to have feelings. His first family, he didn't care thaaaaat much for his daughter unlike Atreus.

Same thing with the Prince of Persia 2008. Went from the Classic Stoic Prince to that.
Caring about your kid is so not manly.

Humdinger

• I asked for a common definition on the term woke, so we're on the same page, can't even get that. Instead someone referring to some private language horseshit definition.

"Woke" means the prioritization of identity politics (in this case, in a game), such that the liberal progressive social/political agenda is apparent, and in a way that feels forced or artificial and typically impairs the quality of the story, characters, design, or dialog. There are many ways this can manifest.

Some people throw the word "woke" around where it doesn't belong. Just because a game has a strong female protagonist or a lesbian in it doesn't make it woke. The identity politics agenda has to be clear, obvious, forced and artificial even, and it will usually impair the story/characters/dialog or design. I've heard people call TLOU1, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Spider-Man 1 and now Half Life 2 "woke." No, no, no... "Woke" means more than just "they put a black female in my game, and I'm upset." If that's all "woke" means, it's just racism or sexism. That's a misunderstanding of the term.

• Asked for counter evidence on some statistics, only got one Capcom link about gender playing Capcom games.

I provided a second source (the large graph of gender preferences per genre, consistent with the Capcom data). I guess you missed that. I pointed out these data have been known for many years. If you'd like other sources, they are just a quick google away.

Last edited:

amigastar

I fully respect his view on current gaming culture but in a video he brought up Trump in a positive way and that is way too much politics for me in videos about Videogaming
If you Trump supporter, thats fine but don't bring this political bullshit into my gaming videos. Being a trump supporter or democrats for that matter brings nothing to the table about pussification of videogames.
My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Gamergate, this is all happening because of Gamergate.

Ten years ago a war started that has never stopped, only increased, but basically gamers got on game companies shitlist, ever since there's been a desperate attempt to distance gaming from what it's perceived audience "used" to be.

Forget her name, but a journalist set the tone, "gamers don't have to be your audience, gamers are dead" and the entire industry in the west has followed that mantra ever since.

It's an insane world we live in, entertainment companies hate their own audiences and makes things for an audience that is not as big as they desperately wish it was, while trying to force the audience they have to accept things they don't like.

It also breaks immersion, because suddenly you're thinking about the writer's politics rather than the game world.
This is exactly one of the reasons I hate it so much, it takes me out of the game and reminds me of this real world culture war battle, suddenly I'm reminded it's all fiction rather than getting immersed, suddenly characters are no longer characters but obvious mouth pieces of the writer, it's a fucking terrible way of writing.

Woke doesn't always ruin something, but it always makes something worse and everything would always be better without those woke digs that break your immersion.

People need to get the fuck over themselves and stop being such smug assholes and stop writing things this way.

i_mean

Banned
Gamergate, this is all happening because of Gamergate.

Ten years ago a war started that has never stopped, only increased, but basically gamers got on game companies shitlist, ever since there's been a desperate attempt to distance gaming from what it's perceived audience "used" to be.

Forget her name, but a journalist set the tone, "gamers don't have to be your audience, gamers are dead" and the entire industry in the west has followed that mantra ever since.

It's an insane world we live in, entertainment companies hate their own audiences and makes things for an audience that is not as big as they desperately wish it was, while trying to force the audience they have to accept things they don't like.

This is exactly one of the reasons I hate it so much, it takes me out of the game and reminds me of this real world culture war battle, suddenly I'm reminded it's all fiction rather than getting immersed, suddenly characters are no longer characters but obvious mouth pieces of the writer, it's a fucking terrible way of writing.

Woke doesn't always ruin something, but it always makes something worse and everything would always be better without those woke digs that break your immersion.

People need to get the fuck over themselves and stop being such smug assholes and stop writing things this way.
Couldn't some one also say this exact thing about white people? get the fuck over themselves...and stop being such smug assholes, the world is bigger than you. As gaming and game development becomes more and more democratized, you're going to see more and more stories and faces from "gasp" diverse individuals coming out of india, Africa, etc and that's a beautiful thing. People put their lives and experiences into their art, it's always been that way and always will be. If a game has some sort of a story, it will most likely reflect the thoughts and beliefs of its creator to some degree.

This is more of a case by case basis kind of thing, because there have been men, both in real life and in fiction, who were more angrier and more combative when younger, and then they reached an older age to where they'd rather live in seclusion, find peace, or work more towards helping their family, kids and/or community grow and prosper well.

For example, from all of the stories I've read, heard, and seen, I would not want to meet 20-something Mike Tyson. He even said himself on his podcast that he had moments where he wanted to randomly knock someone out on the street for looking at him wrong.

However, I think the Mike Tyson of today is way more approachable and kinder, even though he can easily bring out that deadlier side of himself when pushed to a certain degree.

No one is going to approach Mike Tyson and tell him he is feminine for crying.

Last edited:

snapdragon

Neo Member

>Disproportionate levels of "those people" work within the tech and entertainment industry so they can spread their ideology on others

>they are financially incentived to do so through investors and appeal to a wider audience as well as being seen as more accepting and "moral"

Overall I don't necessarily agree with what they are doing but if they put out a good product (I sunk tons of hours into baldurs gate 3 and overwatch) than I can overlook all the lgbt stuff

I'm not sure if this counts as politics and I hope I don't catch a ban for this

Banned
Ironic word choice there, lol.

So you think the guy making this video is “pandering”? You think he doesn’t actually believe the things he’s saying in the video? Just doing it to…appease a certain audience in your eyes?
I don’t care about your culture war and I know clickbait YouTube content when I see it.

Generic

You were given a definition (several, in fact, as I expounded upon the original definition with clarification, all of which you refused to respond to), and you chose to simply ignore it. Instead, you relied on a rebuttal from Wikipedia, which is again a notoriously unreliable source of information, especially when it comes to political and ideological leanings. When that was pointed out, you dismissed it without a second thought. Your stance isn't moderate. It's objectively wrong. Inclusivity and diversity aren't inherently 'woke.' It becomes 'woke' when these concepts are forced in at the expense and detriment of merit or quality or other people. This isn't about "feelz." It's about reality. You've been presented with examples, but because they challenge your worldview, you dismiss them outright. You’re not being trolled. You’re just entrenched in a perspective that refuses to acknowledge any view that doesn't align with your own.
"It becomes 'woke' when these concepts are forced in at the expense and detriment of merit or quality or other people."

Examples of this?

Generic

Some serious cherry picking going on in that video.
His 6 "random" games from 2024 is literally what was just released to GP that month.
A notoriously quiet month.

e8TraJV.png

He could even have picked the current analogs of his 6 "random" games from the 2000s.

Dark Sector - Warframe:1984
Modern Warfare - Black Ops
Deus Ex - Prey/Dishonored/Perfect Dark I dont know immersive sims dont sell so im not shocked theres not many.
Brothers in Arms - Hell let loose,Escape from Tarkov, Stalker I mean shooters arent hard to find.
Riddick - Again shooters arent hard to find in the modern age.
Ride to Hell - Literally one of the worst games of all time.....who would want anything even close to this?

P.S The girlboss with the yellow hair is a videogame journalist......who works for Xbox.
How is Tchia even 'woke'? Because the protagonist is a dark skinned girl? Lol

Banned
How is Tchia even 'woke'? Because the protagonist is a dark skinned girl? Lol
I have found that any game that doesn’t appeal exclusively to teenage boys (or those with the same mentality) is now woke. What the video didn’t say but I will, is that these people are just mad that everyone gets to participate in their hobby now. They liked it better when the whole industry was just for them and them alone.

I don’t care about your culture war and I know clickbait YouTube content when I see it.
Define “clickbait”

I don’t think the guy who made this video baited anybody. If anything, he was surprisingly blatant and more straightforward making his points than I expected from the title of the video.

And why is it that every time I see someone complaining about “the culture war” - they’re always on a certain side of it?

Last edited:

Banned
Define “clickbait”

I don’t think the guy who made this video baited anybody. If anything, he was surprisingly blatant and more straightforward making his points than I expected from the title of the video.

And why is it that every time I see someone complaining about “the culture war” - they’re always on a certain side of it?
I don’t care about your culture war…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom