• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

Roarer said:
  • Faster load times, heh

Rock Band 2 will be the first game that I install to my Xbox 360, hopefully that helps the load times.

Hard to disagree with your list, all that stuff would be nice.

Roarer

BigBlackGamer said:
Faster load times will also be possible when the new dash update comes out.

Should be able to load faster from the disc as well though. I popped in GH3 the other day, which I haven't done since getting Rock Band back in May, and I was stunned by the almost instantaneous load-times, especially when quitting a song. RB has GH PS2-esque load-times in comparison!

Guitar Hero 3's load times are absolutely amazing. I love it. They better keep that shit in GH:WT, cos that's a huge benefit they have for me. HUGE. GIANT.

Hopefully installing Rock Band 2 will improve it. The only footage we've seen of the game shows the same old slow ass loading screens.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
dreammastah said:
What's their argument for not supporting saved playlists (if that's the case)?

Probably not their argument, and not a great one regardless, but storage could become a concern if you're storing a large amount of large playlists. It's something that could and should have a workaround or limitation, but it's still a comment against it.

EazyB

Banned
Roarer said:
Basically, I want the song selection and setlist creation to work just like iTunes more or less.
Can't argue with that. I'm up to 145 songs and when that's all transferred to RB2 it'd be a mess to go through them without many sorting options. The ones I want in particular are ratings and play counts. These couldn't be that hard to implement yet they'd be deeply appreciated.

BigBlackGamer said:
well he's not excited about Gears 2, LBP, Resistance 2, GH:WT etc.

so maybe he will still save some money. :)

I may get GH:WT if the setlist is OMFG AWESOME. Other than that maybe Gears 2 or Left 4 Dead, but thats it.

Roarer

Charron said:
Probably not their argument, and not a great one regardless, but storage could become a concern if you're storing a large amount of large playlists. It's something that could and should have a workaround or limitation, but it's still a comment against it.

Naw, playlists wouldn't be any larger than a couple of KBs.

I think it's more to do with streamlining the interface. While I'm all for a shit-load of sorting options, rating etc, I can see how it would create one giant cluster-fuck of menus, tick-boxes etc. Trying to navigate all that with a game-pad could make it very un-intuitive.

I wish the game supported a keyboard for just typing what you want. My 360 controller has a chat pad on it, if I could have that connected as player 2 and use it in menus it would rawwwwk.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
TheGreatDave said:
I wish the game supported a keyboard for just typing what you want. My 360 controller has a chat pad on it, if I could have that connected as player 2 and use it in menus it would rawwwwk.

I can't get my wireless headset to work when my drumkit is connected, nor can I get my wired headset to work with them.

Fucking irritating.

So are alll the RB2 instruments working in GH:WT? I am guessing even If it works in GH:WT that will not translate to the older Guitar Hero's. Jesus, cant a guy have just one plastic Guitar?

Belgand

Roarer said:
Naw, playlists wouldn't be any larger than a couple of KBs.

I think it's more to do with streamlining the interface. While I'm all for a shit-load of sorting options, rating etc, I can see how it would create one giant cluster-fuck of menus, tick-boxes etc. Trying to navigate all that with a game-pad could make it very un-intuitive.

Saving playlists would definitely be the feature I'd care the most about out of all of that. Plus, yeah, anything else would easily get cumbersome.

A saved playlist, however, could also help if they choose to implement more tournament features though. It looks like they're not really interested in that aside from the online leaderboard challenges of Battle of the Bands mode, but local tournaments be they all on one instrument or with multiple bands would be nice. Super Smash Bros. Melee had a pretty damn good system for that built in. In this case the ability to set playlists and define the nature of things (does everyone play 3 songs then it moves on or does each person play one song and switch-off or is it a bracketed elimination match?) would be nice. Plus it would keep track of points automatically.

Adding this sort of functionality in wouldn't necessarily be much of a problem I think and if they included options for it both offline and online (maybe everyone's bands go online, play the three songs selected from the list and post their scores into the tournament meaning you don't have to compete simultaneously, but could define a required time to post) I think it would really beef up their multiplayer options. Perhaps in RB3.

I mean, yeah, Battle of the Bands looks really cool and interesting, but this would give us the options to create our own challenges, not just use theirs.

my thing is why couldnt they do both 4 v 4 and the whole challenge thing. personally I like 4 v 4 better then challenges. maybe that will change when I get into the challenges with mah GAF band but still. they make it seem like 4 v 4 live is horrible.

patch that shit in HMX.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Personally I really don't see the big deal in wanting saved playlists.

I have never went into a game of Rock Band looking to play the same songs each time. That is what's great about having 200+ songs is so you DON'T do that.

Onemic

BigBlackGamer said:
my thing is why couldnt they do both 4 v 4 and the whole challenge thing. personally I like 4 v 4 better then challenges. maybe that will change when I get into the challenges with mah GAF band but still. they make it seem like 4 v 4 live is horrible.

patch that shit in HMX.

Maybe you can do that in band quickplay or something.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sp3eD said:
Personally I really don't see the big deal in wanting saved playlists.

I have never went into a game of Rock Band looking to play the same songs each time. That is what's great about having 200+ songs is so you DON'T do that.
agreed. playlists are vital.. saved playlists seem stupid mostly. about the closest I would EVER want to that HMX are already putting in there (re: albums, categories, etc under quick create)

Onemic

TheGreatDave said:
You don't need to. Just keep track of each bands score and show a winner at the end.
For battle of the bands, can you face a specific band of your choice for unranked play?

Because if so battle of the bands would actually be much better than standard 4 v 4.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
All they would have to do is integrate quickplay into Battle of the Bands and save scores on songs for daily bests. That way you don't even need the other band online to compete, but if they are you can keep tug of waring until one finally gives up and can't beat the score.

Javaman

McBradders said:
I can't get my wireless headset to work when my drumkit is connected, nor can I get my wired headset to work with them.

Fucking irritating.

I had to jam the adapter connection onto the headset jack HARD in order for it to work. Maybe twisting the connection a bit might help too. The easiest way to check if it's working is to create a voice message to someone and listen to it without sending it.

sneaky77

borghe said:
agreed. playlists are vital.. saved playlists seem stupid mostly. about the closest I would EVER want to that HMX are already putting in there (re: albums, categories, etc under quick create)

What's wrong with having the option though?

Belgand

sneaky77 said:
What's wrong with having the option though?

That's my point. I can't entirely see why I would want to do it, but it seems nice to at least allow it.

Actually, I can think of a few reasons. Maybe I want to put a group of songs together to practice some particular technique. Or I want to save a group of a friend's favorite songs for when they come by to play.

It isn't at all necessary, but it just seems trivial to implement.

I'd like saved playlist of the disc based songs I actually like, so I can just load that up and instantly pick what I want from within it. If it was a playlist you had to play through it seems mostly pointless, but a playlist you can pick songs from at will would be pretty cool.

Belgand

TheGreatDave said:
I'd like saved playlist of the disc based songs I actually like, so I can just load that up and instantly pick what I want from within it. If it was a playlist you had to play through it seems mostly pointless, but a playlist you can pick songs from at will would be pretty cool.

The option to de-select songs from the "Main Setlist" (making them only available by checking "Show All" or the like) would be very nice. Especially if it removed songs from both BWT and Quickplay. Even better if it still acknowledges that you own the song for Battle of the Bands or Challenges where it's required (e.g. you'll still play it in Endless Setlist).

The basic level of this has been around in other games now already and isn't a problem. The ability to remove songs from the soundtrack in Tony Hawk springs to mind first.

Also, with regards to sorting, will there be an option to sort by genre or not? I can see the problems in fitting everything into a genre easily, but the songs are already shown with a genre tag in the footage we've seen of the quickplay menu. The option to combine these would be excellent, again like in Tony Hawk where I could quickly remove all of the rap with only a few clicks. Especially since I noticed that included a "Nu Metal" genre tag... goodbye Linkin Park.

Mad Catz has put up alot of new images for there officially liscensed RB2 stuff. Including a official Bass Guitar which does look pretty cool.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/mad-catz-unveils-premium-rock-band-instruments-448514

212is7s.jpg

1gq2gw.jpg

b7grhi.jpg

1z4bpro.jpg

23m4yeq.jpg

2u8cow1.jpg

Struct09

The split strum bar on the bass looks pretty cool, but I can imagine that being hard to get used to. I'll be interested to see what people think.

I had no idea Mad Catz was making all the controllers. I hope this doesn't mean that they'll suck...

How'd you miss this? Mic + Controller in one, and officially licensed!

9810_Mic_Pack_small-728-75.jpg

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
StrikerObi said:
I had no idea Mad Catz was making all the controllers. I hope this doesn't mean that they'll suck...

Harmonix is still making the new guitar and drum set. They are just bringing their own out. Only thing I hope that doesn't suck is the cymbal pads, but they look pretty cool in that up close up pic.

I just got a e-mail back from the ION dudes saying that the set is shipping sometime after the 7th of september and that they will e-mail people before they charge your card. so yea im pretty excited.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
TheGreatDave said:
GH:WT has 4 Vs. 4. Harmonix believe that that just isn't cool enough for their game. Because they're huge knobheads.

Is the band vs band thing definitely missing from Rock Band 2?

If so that's a fucking MAJOR omission of a pretty much essential feature.

Struct09

McBradders said:
Is the band vs band thing definitely missing from Rock Band 2?

If so that's a fucking MAJOR omission of a pretty much essential feature.

It's implemented in a different way. In GH:WT you can battle in a 8-player multiplayer game, where as with Rock Band 2 you do the battles (scores/challenges/etc) without having to have both bands together at the same time. I don't really see the big deal with how Harmonix implemented it, the only thing they really lose is being able to have a 'tug of war' style battle of the bands mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom