• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

StrikerObi said:
I had no idea Mad Catz was making all the controllers. I hope this doesn't mean that they'll suck...

How'd you miss this? Mic + Controller in one, and officially licensed!

9810_Mic_Pack_small-728-75.jpg

The microphone looks awfully uncomfortable to hold with all the buttons sticking out...

Magik said:

They say no 4 vs 4 in that entry. Cos its such a sissy fight, mannn!

The challenges don't fit the role any more than leaderboards do now. Should I just compare my best score to somebody elses, rather than do a live battle where I could screw up or they could do awesome?

People have tried to do band vs band stuff here before, and its always been too hard to organise because it can't be done live.

Belgand

bearcatjosh said:
The bass is really pointless but cool.

That's because you've probably never played bass.

The big feature of the bass is the split strum bar. Right now on the current controllers it's nearly impossible to play it fingerstyle properly. If you pull up the bar usually isn't in position again for your other finger and you screw it up. At least, that's been my experience with it. By using a split bar you have space to strum with both fingers (pulling up). It looks like a cool idea to me even if, yeah, it is a bit pointless.

Personally I usually prefer fingerstyle, but in GH/RB I just pretend that I'm playing it with a pick... and just try to ignore the obvious differences in tone.

I can't say that I'd pay $60 or whatever they're selling it for though.

Also, haven't these pictures been around for a while? Like since May or so when they were just listed as being for Rock Band, not RB2?

Belgand

TheGreatDave said:
I saw the bass at E3 at least.

And the mic.

And I know because dammit I've seen all these pictures before. Well, except the packaging some of that was new.

Still, nice that it's getting out there and a new close-up of the cymbals is nice compared to the rendery looking one that I posted before.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not too interested in the game, but I always see this thread and wonder... what exactly does "Angina's tough!!" mean?

Belgand said:
That's because you've probably never played bass.

The big feature of the bass is the split strum bar. Right now on the current controllers it's nearly impossible to play it fingerstyle properly. If you pull up the bar usually isn't in position again for your other finger and you screw it up. At least, that's been my experience with it. By using a split bar you have space to strum with both fingers (pulling up). It looks like a cool idea to me even if, yeah, it is a bit pointless.

Personally I usually prefer fingerstyle, but in GH/RB I just pretend that I'm playing it with a pick... and just try to ignore the obvious differences in tone.

I can't say that I'd pay $60 or whatever they're selling it for though.

Also, haven't these pictures been around for a while? Like since May or so when they were just listed as being for Rock Band, not RB2?

I've played bass in two or three bands, actually. I didn't realize that the bass featured a split strumbar. To me, it just looked like a normal RB guitar made to look like a bass.

Instant purchase now! Thanks for pointing this out, as bass is my fave instrument and the strumbar has always been a bummer to me.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Deadly said:
The microphone looks awfully uncomfortable to hold with all the buttons sticking out...

How many times are people going to pull a peter moore and hit the xbox guide button whilst rocking out? good thing i cant sing.

sneaky77

ChrisGoldstein said:
How many times are people going to pull a peter moore and hit the xbox guide button whilst rocking out? good thing i cant sing.

maybe that's why there is a lock buttons switch on it?

Mr Jared

I don't know why people are shitting themselves over a lack of four versus four player online :lol The screen can only display four people at a time without it turning into a gigantic clusterfuck. So, realistically, you'd be battling each other separately. Then when the song ends, you'd compare scores.

Guess what does that exact same thing and doesn't require all eight players to be online at the same time? The online challenges. What a concept. If you've been playing Geometry Wars 2, then you have a feeling of what it'll be like.

Then of course, I never felt compelled to once play Rock Band online, seeing as how the fun is in, you know, actually playing with friends. So there you go.

Mr Jared said:
I don't know why people are shitting themselves over a lack of four versus four player online :lol The screen can only display four people at a time without it turning into a gigantic clusterfuck. So, realistically, you'd be battling each other separately. Then when the song ends, you'd compare scores.

Guess what does that exact same thing and doesn't require all eight players to be online at the same time? The online challenges. What a concept. If you've been playing Geometry Wars 2, then you have a feeling of what it'll be like.

Then of course, I never felt compelled to once play Rock Band online, seeing as how the fun is in, you know, actually playing with friends. So there you go.

I play with GAF and my friends in other states/countries online. :)

I see what your saying but it would have been nice to have a mode/animations for a true 4v4 experience. seeing 1 band on 1 side and the other band on the other side would be fun. Have like animations were the lead/guitar/bass come up to each other and start rockin back n forth.

I would have even takin it a step further and have special situations were if 1 band wins and everybody gets 99% or higher you get to kick the other band off the stage and perform a encore and the other band is forced to watch. (you would pick your encore song before the game starts)

It's not really a big deal for me but it could have been sweet. Obviously you wouldn't have 8 charts on the screen. just the other bands score or a crowd meter thats tied into it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Wow, people can't see the fun in playing 4v4 online?

Never played anything online before? I can't see how it wouldn't be fun, even if you couldn't see the other dudes charts.... just their characters would be enough.

Flynn

McBradders said:

Never played anything online before? I can't see how it wouldn't be fun, even if you couldn't see the other dudes charts.... just their characters would be enough.

Sounds, to me, like a cool feature that 3% of players would use.

Ten-Song

McBradders said:

Just seems kind of pointless to me, where you can just look at a friends score for his band, try and top that, and you've done the same thing, only without two sets of characters on screen. That'd be about the only clue that there were other human beings playing against you.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
McBradders said:

umm... but that's exactly like battle of the bands for the most part.

I don't think anyone is saying 4v4 wouldn't be some sort of fun... but much of it would be lost by not having that in your face tug o war. even if you had tug o war with charts IMHO THAT wouldn't be much fun, as you'd just see a meter get tugged on without really knowing what's going on on the other end.

I'm sure 4v4 will be plenty fun, but for me personally I see BotB being much more fun. It's just easier for my band to fight it out with my friends and brother while not all having to be online at the same time to do it. and if I want it to be close to real time, I can just have it send email to my phone when someone beats my score.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
McBradders said:

Sounds cool but they have to save something for Rock Band 3.

EazyB

Banned
I think their challenge mode sounds a lot smarter than a 4v4 mode. There's not many benefits to being able to see the other band's scores in real time and getting 8 people in a room could prove challenging and introduce lag. While I obviously wouldn't mind if they put 4v4 in, I'd rather them spend that time/resources on other things.

Belgand

So I was thinking about the AC/DC choice for the game and aside from the wonderfulness that we have AC/DC now (though BOO! exclusive bands) it was kind of an odd choice. Now, it's a great song no doubt (inevitable moment to acknowledge that most AC/DC songs sound alike), but why choose "Let There Be Rock"?

I'm guessing that one reason is because it's honestly not one of their many overplayed songs and this fits strongly with the design that Harmonix have been using. True, they've been moving to more well-known songs and bigger and bigger hits recently, but the option to pull a less overexposed track is always nice.

A second thought was that it's from the Bonn Scott era. Now I don't want to get into a big thing about whether we should be getting Bonn Scott or Brian Johnson tracks
This is a complete lie. I would very much like to get into a lengthy discussion of exactly that. So long as it's civil and we can acknowledge that they put out some great work with both vocalists.
but that might also have a role in the consideration.

Finally, since this is the first time we've gotten an AC/DC track in the game and they've been such a demanded and obvious choice through the first 3 generations of these games I have to wonder if the band or their label don't have something to do with this.

Belgand has never misheard the lyrics as saying "whole lotta rosé" and thought that they were singing about wine. That would be incredibly stupid. Seriously, nobody would ever make that mistake as it's too dumb to even contemplate. Why are we even talking about this?

Struct09

I just hope that we don't need a 4 player band to have the Geometry Wars 2 like features. I love hopping into GW2 to see if my scores have been beaten, and then working to reclaim the top spot on my friends list. I would love that feature for Rock Band 2.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
EazyB said:
I think their challenge mode sounds a lot smarter than a 4v4 mode. There's not many benefits to being able to see the other band's scores in real time and getting 8 people in a room could prove challenging and introduce lag. While I obviously wouldn't mind if they put 4v4 in, I'd rather them spend that time/resources on other things.

MeAvatar2.gif

Whut?

Oh damn, after seeing the new instruments, I kinda want to go get the new ones... And possibly World Tour instruments if it is compatible on PS3.

EazyB

Banned
McBradders said:
Organizing 8 people to get together at the same time is tough. There's always a quickmatch option but then again having that many people linked up (especially transcontinental rooms) could introduce in a game where any lag what-so-ever would be disastrous.

The challenges are a much smarter idea. Imagine if in order to compete in Geo Wars 2 you and all your friends had to play simultaneously. It's unnecessary and more limiting. With challenges your band can compete with any amount of your other friends' bands.

Seeing two bands on stage together is a cool idea but how many times do you actually even look at the background video and can you really not think of anything more compelling that Harmonix could spend their time on?

EazyB said:
Organizing 8 people to get together at the same time is tough. There's always a quickmatch option but then again having that many people linked up (especially transcontinental rooms) could introduce in a game where any lag what-so-ever would be disastrous.

The challenges are a much smarter idea. Imagine if in order to compete in Geo Wars 2 you and all your friends had to play simultaneously. It's unnecessary and more limiting. With challenges your band can compete with any amount of your other friends' bands.

Seeing two bands on stage together is a cool idea but how many times do you actually even look at the background video and can you really not think of anything more compelling that Harmonix could spend their time on?

we shall see in GH:WT.

I think the problem with some AC/DC is the masters. If you look at the remasters of their earlier albums, the sticker on the album says "Remastered from the original two track mixdowns" or something like that. So its possible that the originals for each individual track are no longer around. Much like Black Sabbath.

Belgand

PhoncipleBone said:
I think the problem with some AC/DC is the masters. If you look at the remasters of their earlier albums, the sticker on the album says "Remastered from the original two track mixdowns" or something like that. So its possible that the originals for each individual track are no longer around. Much like Black Sabbath.

Very likely.

While on the subject what's the general opinion on what to do in these situations? Assuming the band isn't willing to re-record the song (and even then do we necessarily want that done? I mean look at the remastered Megadeth where Mustaine redid the vocals) what's the best option: try to find a live version that can be used instead (e.g. Rush), just go with a cover, or just omit the track entirely and/or try to find another track by the band that the masters are available for?

The challenges change daily. I can't come on here and say my awesome band (Hey, Late To The Party?!) are awesome and can beat somebody elses band, and then prove it. Daily Challenges can consist of, say, get the highest vocal score on Pinball Wizard, and you can do that for one day. They're not even remotely comparable. I love what Harmonix are doing, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't replace the flexibility of 4Vs4

2DMention

Banned
Holy shit! Some good tracks from the 90s! (Sorry, a little late to the thread)

When is this out?

Edit: Dammit! 2 days after SRKs MN Meltdown!

XShagrath

TheGreatDave said:
The challenges change daily. I can't come on here and say my awesome band (Hey, Late To The Party?!) are awesome and can beat somebody elses band, and then prove it. Daily Challenges can consist of, say, get the highest vocal score on Pinball Wizard, and you can do that for one day. They're not even remotely comparable. I love what Harmonix are doing, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't replace the flexibility of 4Vs4
The Daily Challenges are supposedly available for like a week. It's just there are new challenges every day. I don't know if they'll be keeping the leaderboards up for all of those challenges permenantly or not.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Struct09 said:
The portable drum kit is a cool idea. Also makes it easy to make your own custom drum set.

It makes it easy to make a custom RB1 drum kit. It doesn't look like it has jacks for cymbals. I would buy a prebuilt 360 RB2 drum brain. There's just no way I'd pay $300 for the Ion kit just to scavenge that part, though.

The cooler part of this is that in Online World Tour, people can join your band
whenever you're preparing to rock! So, if you're in the Rock Shop and
your friend wants to join, you don't have to do anything - they'll just
select your band name and instantly join your session, without you
having to go back to Matchmaking and send an invite

Good stuff.

Say I'm in the middle of a five song set, but I can't finish the third
song. Or, even worse, I can finish it but I have to leave the house!
Whatever shall I do?!

Well, you can save your progress in the set and come back to it later!
You'll be able to tell which sets you're in progress with a subtle
finish that we add to those albums:

Good stuff.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I will get the controller mic, nothing worse than telling nobs they ave to pick up the controller over there because someone backed to far out of the menu.

also the bass controller is awesome with the split strum bar, it will make the metal bass lines make so much more sense. its a shame that it appears that its wired *sad face* I wanted to go all wireless except the mic to avoid cable kudzu

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Belgand said:
Very likely.

While on the subject what's the general opinion on what to do in these situations? Assuming the band isn't willing to re-record the song (and even then do we necessarily want that done? I mean look at the remastered Megadeth where Mustaine redid the vocals) what's the best option: try to find a live version that can be used instead (e.g. Rush), just go with a cover, or just omit the track entirely and/or try to find another track by the band that the masters are available for?
a tough call. I know Maiden generally falls into this problem as well. We probably won't see any maiden in these games before the 90's due to the vocals always being recorded with drums. on the one hand, I really have little interest in maiden rerecording something like Wasted Years. On the other hand the thought of it never being in the game due to now four track masters available is disheartening.

suppose that's why these companies make the big bucks. to make just those kinds of decisions.

Memles

This whole "Bundle a month after the game" thing has me in a quandry - I really want confirmation on that sooner rather than later so I can make an informed decision. Right now, I'm losing my borrowed copy of Rock Band next week, and while I can go a month without it two months seems a lot of time to wait for them to stick the various parts that they have finished into a box. And methinks buying them separately at the time of launch seems a dangerous move considering how ridiculous the prices will probably be.

So, in other words: those tidbits from the developers are great, but if I can't due to financial reasons enjoy them until October? Uncool.

XShagrath

scola said:
I will get the controller mic, nothing worse than telling nobs they ave to pick up the controller over there because someone backed to far out of the menu.

also the bass controller is awesome with the split strum bar, it will make the metal bass lines make so much more sense. its a shame that it appears that its wired *sad face* I wanted to go all wireless except the mic to avoid cable kudzu

I'm going to make a DIY wireless mic pretty soon. Doesn't look too hard.
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49837

I was thinking today about gold stars, and thought that they should, like gold stars on expert, add silver stars for hard and bronze stars for medium. I love the feeling of gold starring songs on drums, but I'm not great at guitar and usually stick to Hard. It would be nice if I had something like gold stars to strive for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom