• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, you'll still be spending a bit extra if you plan to use the machine for what it's designed for. The M290X isn't exactly a killer GPU. I don't know why Apple didn't go with the newer mobile 9xx chips from NVIDIA instead.

Uhhhh... The CTO M295X is level with a GTX 980M in performance.

Red

what's the actual resolution of the 5k iMac?

5120x2880

I'm less disappointed now that I know it can be upgraded to a better card. I saw M290X and was really bummed. I wonder now if I'll even wait for Broadwell or if I'll go broke splurging on this thing now.

MrGerbils

what's the actual resolution of the 5k iMac?

From The Verge:

DSC_0634_verge_super_wide.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do refurbs come with iOS 8 preinstalled? Thinking about buying a 32 gb Mini 2 on Apple's website but evidently it runs poorly on a Mini 2 (from what I've heard from some friends) although I have no idea how accurate or overstated that is.

Then there's the HDD in both. 5400RPM. That's what's in my 2010 mini and that thing is slooooow. But I can't tell if it's slow because of the HDD or the processor.

It's the drive in your 2010 that makes it slow. I guess the CPU, memory, and GPU might also not be enough for what you want to use a computer for, but it's probably the HDD. I spend most of my work related computer time writing, and now that my 2010 mini has an SSD, I really don't find a difference between it and my i7 equipped MacBook Air or 8-core Mac Pro.

Either way, why can't they just have 7200RPM HDDs at the least in both models?

A 7200 RPM 2.5" drive still isn't fast.

I seriously wonder why they don't make the imac thicker in the back (it used to be) and actually put a desktop GPU in there? Does it really matter about how thin the monitor is? The display is gorgeous but it's completely undesirable for people who even want light gaming at native res, at least put in the new mobile nvidia 900 series if you're going to use crappy laptop parts in a desktop.

Number45

I seriously wonder why they don't make the imac thicker in the back (it used to be) and actually put a desktop GPU in there? Does it really matter about how thin the monitor is? The display is gorgeous but it's completely undesirable for people who even want light gaming at native res, at least put in the new mobile nvidia 900 series if you're going to use crappy laptop parts in a desktop.
It's not just size, it's power consumption and heat signature - both of which are substantial in desktop GPUs. Price will be a factor as well.

As has been said, people don't generally buy Mac products primarily for gaming.

Red

Let's see how the R295M handles it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Thunderbolt can't drive that res yet.

Which basically means the mac mini (and MBPs) aren't futureproof. They probably won't be able to support the inevitable Thunderbolt display. The Mac mini update turned out to be very disappointing; still no SSD or Fusion Drive default and now non-upgradeable RAM?! wtf? *sigh*

Is there some kind of magic limit on how many things they can upgrade?!
Is it really like that, or is it just that we're always literally limited by the human hours and materials we have? I find that's a much more logical explanation than thinking Apple purposely wants a product to be shit because it sold too much before.

ReAxion

Is it really like that, or is it just that we're always literally limited by the human hours and materials we have? I find that's a much more logical explanation than thinking Apple purposely wants a product to be shit because it sold too much before.

To think people would want to work for a company that would do that, too.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's quite logical that Apple wouldn't want to update the Mini because it 'sold too much' since it has lower margins that the Air. There may be other reasons of course but you have too much faith in a supposed good nature of Apple. They are capitalists duh

DarkFlow

Banned

I find that hard to believe honestly. A company as huge as apple can't find time in the day to slightly upgrade the insides of the iPad mini. They somehow found the time to upgrade it with TouchID.

JohnDoe

Banned
So I've been waiting for the mac mini update on purpose in case they bring out better stuff and I get punished by and not being able to buy one with a quad core i7 processor like I originally wanted to because they took that option out. Nice!

The iMac is fucking nice but it's not worth buying for me.

I find that hard to believe honestly. A company as huge as apple can't find time in the day to slightly upgrade the insides of the iPad mini. They somehow found the time to upgrade it with TouchID.
Their design team is ridiculously small. It's only 17 people. Ive talked about this in the recent interview he did, and he said no one's ever voluntarily left the team. So that's how many people worked on all of these new big products they've unveiled this fall.

ReAxion

It's quite logical that Apple wouldn't want to update the Mini because it 'sold too much' since it has lower margins that the Air. There may be other reasons of course but you have too much faith in a supposed good nature of Apple. They are capitalists duh

From the company who cannibalizes their own market leading products...

How did you figure out how much time they've spent doing everything else to make this assessment?

DarkFlow

Banned
So I've been waiting for the mac mini update on purpose in case they bring out better stuff and I get punished by and not being able to buy one with a quad core i7 processor like I originally wanted to because they took that option out. Nice!

The iMac is fucking nice but it's not worth buying for me.

I'm sure people that own the last model with Quad cores will be selling them off in droves. Look around, I'm sure you'll be able to find one for a better price then what you would have paid. It's still a win for you.

How did you figure out how much time they've spent doing everything else to make this assessment?
How did you figure out how they didn't have enough time? It's not like it's one guy upgrading everything in the company here...

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just purchased the new iMac with Retina, (DAMIT APPLE! making me broke).

But now I'm looking for some thoughts on this,

I have a top of the line iMac right now currently, trying to figure out what to sell it for, anyone have any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Applecare til Dec 14, 2015,
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
3gb Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

That's a tough spot. Craigslist is loaded with tons of overpriced iMacs that just sit there because the owners won't budge.

Good news for you: that's still a damn good machine.

$1700.00 - $1900.00

For an extra $300 AUD on an already expensive product, the nvidia cards should have been standard for that sort of cash.

See my response above for what I think about it in general.

You do realize a mobile chip is far pricier than its desktop equivalent, right? AUD$300 to go from a M290 to a cutting edge M295X with almost identical performance to a 980M is entirely reasonable.

JohnDoe

Banned
I'm sure people that own the last model with Quad cores will be selling them off in droves. Look around, I'm sure you'll be able to find one for a better price then what you would have paid. It's still a win for you.

How did you figure out how they didn't have enough time? It's not like it's one guy upgrading everything in the company here...

I don't mind spending a bit more because that means I can definitely get AppleCare too which is a must.
Plus I'd get a very nice discount anyway so I would have been better off buying the old one.

Blackhead

Redarse

I'm not the one making the assertion they had time to do more. Turns out that time is a limited resource.

wtf does this even mean? Of course it's possible that time is a factor but it's also possible that they didn't update the Mini for business reasons

BikoBiko

Laminated screen for iPad was long overdue, been wanting it ever since iPhone 5 started having it. Dropping the orientation lock button sucks. Don't think they'll ever bring it back, so I'll be holding on to my Air 1 for now.

"Not enough time" to properly update a product that gets refreshed once a year is the kind of defense I'd expect from a macrumors comment section, not you guys. Come on now.

ReAxion

With 80K people working for you, it shouldn't be that big a deal.

You're witnessing that it is. Software is also a pretty big deal as differentiating factor.

wtf does this even mean? Of course it's possible that time is a factor but it's also possible that they didn't update the Mini for business reasons

If you don't understand what I'm talking about about cannibalization we don't have any common ground to start from. They're also going to be consuming 25% of the world's DRAM, and their priority for components is iPhones and premium iPads. If the rumors of 2GB RAM are true, maybe there's not enough RAM in the world to keep them in lockstep. They only did that once and it was likely to get to Retina on the mini. That's a much better "business reason."

"Not enough time" to properly update a product that gets refreshed once a year is the kind of defense I'd expect from a macrumors comment section, not you guys. Come on now.

You don't know the terms you're dealing with. The original mini was an iPad 2 after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom