• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
So about that "You can watch them in any order" thing that they've been saying:

Mitch Hurwitz Explains His Arrested Development Rules: Watch New Episodes in Order, and Not All at Once

Originally, the new episodes of Arrested Development were conceived as something of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" series for fans: Creator Mitch Hurwitz said we’d be able to watch the new episodes on Netflix any which way we pleased and in any order. Then, last week, after he wrapped the final mix on all fifteen new episodes, he said, scratch that, never mind, please watch sequentially! And, before the shows go live Sunday at 12:01 a.m., PST, he’s intent on making sure everyone knows he has redacted his earlier strategy. “I’m really doing everything I can to put out that misconception that it can be watched in any order,” Hurwitz told Vulture during an interview Tuesday. “Although I really did have that ambition at one point.”

He also explains why you shouldn't binge the whole thing.

TUSR

Banned
Dammit I'm gunna be up all night watching this

Morning

Why the hell would anyone watch it in no order anyway?

I sometimes watch episodes of the current seasons at random. Since i've seen them so many times I like to rewatch certain parts.

I was never fond of the Tony Wonder parts and ending of Season 2, but I rewatched it again the other night a few times and forgot thats where Franklin is introduced.

I knew the cheapskate thing was Carl Weathers' idea, but I didn't know the original intention was to make George Sr. a blue man. I like that the BMG made the thing funnier by suggesting that Tobias just keeps auditioning and never gets in.

As premiere day nears, Hurwitz prefers the series' fans to think of the episodes as chapters in a book. “Everyone has their own chapter, but they're all Bluths, so they occur in each other's stories, and it does take place over the same period of time,” he says, noting that a larger story does emerge. The new format allows him to delve deeper into the characters’ particular storylines. “In the old show we jumped around so quickly. We'd find out that Tobias photographed his testicles in the bathtub and they got mistaken for a map of Iraq,” he continues. “In the new one, he would photograph his testicles -- and then we would spend a little more time with his testicles, we'd investigate, we'd go deeper in and around his testicles in a way I just haven't had the freedom to do, quite frankly.”

Besides the fairly proficient Michael, each member of the Bluth family is unable to use a "blank" as a tool.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Slacker

I'm curious as to whether there will be 'bleeps' for bad language in season 4. Obviously not a necessity on Netflix, but the bleeps were also part of the humor in the show (well no one's going to top that).

TUSR

Banned
I'm curious as to whether there will be 'bleeps' for bad language in season 4. Obviously not a necessity on Netflix, but the bleeps were also part of the humor in the show (well no one's going to top that).

Beeps are still in.

Besides the fairly proficient Michael, each member of the Bluth family is unable to use a "blank" as a tool.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Nothing popped into my mind immediately... I can't even start the quiz, the button doesn't work.

Slacker

Why the hell would anyone watch it in no order anyway?
I've been baffled by this too but realized what's going on here reading comments from Mitchell Hurwitz. Apparently he had at one point envisioned the new season being watchable in any order. He bailed on the idea though (wise choice I think) and now is making sure we know the episodes need to be watched in order.

mj1108

Mitch Hurwitz interview:

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/...-talks-about-getting-the-bluths-back-together

That actually brings up a question: are you locked into, you know, whatever – 22, 25, 30 minutes an episode? They can be different lengths, right?

Exactly, and that’s been a big relief. The old show had to be something like 20 minutes and 45 seconds – something like that. It’s a crazy short amount of time so it really honed my skills at the concentration process. You just – distill and distill and distill the material, and I’d look at those old shows and think, “Oh, my God. I can’t believe we did that in 20 minutes.” Now the new show basically I’m looking at it as a whole and it’s probably gonna be about eight-and-a-half hours which is, I think, longer than the first season was altogether.

Its not that good of a question. I didn't think of hammer as an answer because it really only shows a few of the members using them poorly throughout the series.

Oh well.

Someone else made a point that Gob used the Hammer in the office as President. Pretty lame question though, so I agree oh well.

20/20 though.

Found this on the Baltimore subreddit

BluthCon_Print_WebFB.jpg

This is oddly tempting

And I can't wait for S4

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Brooklyn restaurant is offering an AD-themed tasting menu: http://threelettersbrooklyn.com/

Corn Balls
Brown butter Corn Croquettes

Hot Ham Water
Ham Consommé with Fried Country Ham, Asparagus, and Chive Oil

Mayonegg
Eggs Mayonnaise in a Lettuce Cup, with Sorrel Gribiche

Chicken Gene Parmesan with Spicy Club Sauce
Chicken Confit, Parmigiano Incognito, with Chili-Horseradish-Tomato Sauce

Carl Weathers' Stew, Baby
Chicken Bone Broth, a Potato, Carrots

Ike and Tina Tuna, plate or platter
Seared Tuna, Sweet Sauce, Bitter Greens

Ice Cream Sandwich

Frozen Banana
Double Dipped, Double Nuts

I know it's a cash grab, but I'm considering doing it.

I thought Mike Works was gonna ban me during that thread since we were posting so much during the east coast feed.

I posted this a ways back in another thread, but I'm posting it here in the official one:

me said:
To all the old posters... Do you guys remember?

- Do you remember the weekly AD threads made for every single episode?
- The optimism that "oh this show won some Emmy's so of course the ratings will pick up!"
- Fox jerking the show around from Sundays, to Mondays then Fridays?
- Mike Works giving people free tags just to WATCH an episode?
- Fox cutting the 2nd season down from 22 to 18 episodes and the fear that this was the end?
- The grass-roots campaign from the-op and other fansites to save the show (I still have my Save our Bluths banana)
- The jubilation of the 3rd season being picked up for 22 episodes?
- The off-season proselytizing to anyone and everyone that would listen to, for the love of God, WATCH THE SHOW?
- The realization that Fox wasn't showing the 3rd season during November sweeps and... the writing was on the wall?
- The shock of the 3rd season getting cut from 22 to 13 episodes and realizing, yes indeed this was the end?
- And finally... the small glimmer hope that Ron Howard's final words of the show (Maybe a movie...) may one day be realized?

Guys, that was EIGHT years ago. I still can't believe that my favorite show ever is coming back, and I feel nothing but joy that it's found such an audience through the years. Seriously, I NEVER thought something like this would happen and honestly, I still can't believe that in 4 short months, I'll have new episodes to watch.

I still can't believe this is actually happening. Less than a week.

I wish I participated more on GAF back then, or at least on the OT side.

I've been a watcher of this show from Day 1, going through all the ups and downs, and trying desperately to get people to watch the show. I've spent hundreds just gifting the DVDs to people, too.

I am so, so damn happy this show is coming back.

TUSR

Banned
I thought Mike Works was gonna ban me during that thread since we were posting so much during the east coast feed.

I posted this a ways back in another thread, but I'm posting it here in the official one:

I still can't believe this is actually happening. Less than a week.

Read the old thread, Afternoon Delight is the best episode.

Kintaco

To all the old posters... Do you guys remember?

- Do you remember the weekly AD threads made for every single episode?
- The optimism that "oh this show won some Emmy's so of course the ratings will pick up!"
- Fox jerking the show around from Sundays, to Mondays then Fridays?
- Mike Works giving people free tags just to WATCH an episode?
- Fox cutting the 2nd season down from 22 to 18 episodes and the fear that this was the end?
- The grass-roots campaign from the-op and other fansites to save the show (I still have my Save our Bluths banana)
- The jubilation of the 3rd season being picked up for 22 episodes?
- The off-season proselytizing to anyone and everyone that would listen to, for the love of God, WATCH THE SHOW?
- The realization that Fox wasn't showing the 3rd season during November sweeps and... the writing was on the wall?
- The shock of the 3rd season getting cut from 22 to 13 episodes and realizing, yes indeed this was the end?
- And finally... the small glimmer hope that Ron Howard's final words of the show (Maybe a movie...) may one day be realized?

Guys, that was EIGHT years ago. I still can't believe that my favorite show ever is coming back, and I feel nothing but joy that it's found such an audience through the years. Seriously, I NEVER thought something like this would happen and honestly, I still can't believe that in 4 short months, I'll have new episodes to watch.
I didn't watch the show when it was on Fox, and after reading all that stuff it makes me sad. It would have been crushing going through that rollercoaster ride on such a great show.

I'm worried about the episode structure for this season though.

I watched it when it was airing on Fox. One of the saddest moments was the show accepting its cancellation in the S.O.B.s episode.
Michael: Well, um, I was going to say that you don't know who my father really is and that what has happened to us is a great injustice, that we were never really given a fair chance. But that's not the truth. We've been given plenty of chances. And maybe the Bluths just aren't worth saving, maybe we're not that likable, you know. We're very self-centered. And my father may be the worst of us. Me, too. You know, I seem to... I threaten people who I don't feel support me. He poisons them. Anyway, here's my advice to you. Go ahead and take yourself a goody bag and get out of here while you can.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm nearing the end of my high school days (this Friday is my last day) and the two things I plan on doing before my graduation in June is beat Persona 4 Golden and marathon all three seasons of Arrested Development and I'll watch the new season after I'm done with the third season

Konka

Banned
I'm nearing the end of my high school days (this Friday is my last day) and the two things I plan on doing before my graduation in June is beat Persona 4 Golden and marathon all three seasons of Arrested Development and I'll watch the new season after I'm done with the third season

Yep now I finally feel old.

mj1108

If you have only seen each episode once, you've missed 90% of the jokes. Please make sure you rewatch them all. The payoff is massive.

Something seemed off in the trailer, it's like they tried to fit in as many callbacks as possible. Maybe trailer format just isn't good for a show like this but I'm still apprehensive.

Really, spoilers the same day? We put a one month limit in the house of cards thread, why the change?

I'm anticipating a lot of spoiler images that would be hard to manage (because of how visual AD can be) and spoilers in general will be hard to manage with viewing times being so polar for everyone.

Also, since its a comedy, spoilers usually don't have as much weight as a drama.

Feel free to join this thread:

Just a heads up, anyone interested in watching one new episode per day as with the already existing pilgrimage thread, the thread for season 4 is now up! Load up your bookmarks, people!

Thanks OP is updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom