• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I feel like growing up and being from Seattle seeing shit like mix couples is so normal to the point where I don't see what the fuss is about. Like I've been with white chicks not because they were white just because at the time I was feeling them. I've found attractive chicks in just about every single ethnic background by now. And I have plenty of friends who you know are Asian that married outside their race and no one seems to give a fuck even their old grandparents. Maybe it just the culture here I don't know but I feel like bigger issue online then in reality.

Seattle is a giant ass outlier; to be honest. :D Only SF is as numerous for interracial couples in the US as Seattle I think.

All this talk of dating outside the race makes me think about how I've never had friends outside the race. I've never gone out for lunch, watch a movie, or had a person outside my race come over to my house to hang out with me. Now that I think about it, I've never had a friend outside my ethnicity.

I hope this doesn't give you guys the wrong idea about me. I grew up surrounded by my cousins and friends of the same ethnic group all my life to this day and I'm very comfortable with it just being them for the rest of my life if that's the case. I enjoy the company of the guys I work with and went to school with but I never desired to want to be close with them outside of school/work. I hope that doesn't make me seem ignorant or narrow to you guys, just the way I've always been and still am.

Seattle is a giant ass outlier; to be honest. :D Only SF is as numerous for interracial couples in the US as Seattle I think.

San Diego has a lot of interracial couples especially Asians and whites. I'd say moreso than even SF since SD doesn't really have ethnic enclaves the way SF does..

Hawaii has them both beat.

Come to think of it most if my friends are mixed: I know a good handful Japenese/Filipino, Japanese/Korean, Filipino/Vietnamese. These are 2nd/3rd gen Americans if that matters.

In Hawaii you also have those multi racial asians chinese/japanese/filipino/portuguese, with 1% German, lol. Pretty much all got all the plantation ethnicities.

Personally I've dated Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese.

What the fuck is going in with the comments lol

Trolls everywhere lmao

Also Rice-Eater, you and I both. Hmong people are generally raised with other Hmong people. But it's also location based. Being in the Twin Cities (and other cities with more poc than whites), kids are now playing, dating, and going to school with everybody. My nephew plays with everybody and I hope he continues having that diversity in his life as he goes into the higher grades (1st grade now).

I just hope he doesn't fall in with the wrong crowd as he grows up (Asian gangs). Because there are alot of those here ~_~

It also seems to me that Hmong people are finally coming out of their shell! I've seen more and more gay couples, trans (is that the correct word?) Hmong people, Hmong people dressing how they want to now instead of the usual hip-hop clothing style, Hmong people dating other races, and more diversity in general with the Hmong community! I'm happy for Hmong people!!

Watch out other Asians!! We Hmong people are catching up, hahaha.

cdyhybrid

I generally identify as whatever is convenient at the time. When it comes down to it though, I identify more with my Asian side than my white side, so this line from the article wasn't true in my specific case:

According to the Pew study, biracial Asian-whites are more likely to identify with whites than they are with Asians.

However, I suspect that that's because I grew up in Hawaii around a ton of Asians (although I lived near a military base, so I also had white and black kids in my classes, etc.), and all my family members in the state were from the Asian side. My white family members (other than my mom) lived in California, so I didn't get to see them every often.

suzu

The mixed kids in my extended family are still young, but I assume they identify with their white side more since the only time they're hanging around other Asians is when it's a family get-together.

Zoe

The culture you're in and the makeup of your peers is definitely a factor. I didn't have a shred of Asian culture growing up except yellow rice and chicken adobo for weekend breakfasts. It wasn't until much later that I considered myself Asian.

I never considered myself white though, just "other", because I looked way too different.

Sure. Does day/night make a difference to you? Any particular place you want covered?

Little Tokyo is:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...2!3m1!1s0x80c2c64f59427c77:0xf14f36b65ce4fe04

TBH when it's dark I pretty much only stick to the street Daikokuya is on, as well as a part of the square between 1st/2nd and san pedro/central. Too many crazies otherwise. In the day time I should be able to venture a little further.

Oh, the time of day doesn't really matter to me.

Todaya lunch, Lechon with Dinuguan "chocolate" meat

n3TMTzul.jpg

Zoe

I was gonna insert a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend gif here, but I guess it's not popular enough to have a gif for every scene :(

So this will have to do:

iyiuh9pl.jpg

It happens. At the very least, it probably means you dealt with less racism in your everyday life, right :)?

I haven't experienced much racism in my life. Funny thing is that I actually experienced more racism when I use to live in Wisconsin. When I found out my family was moving to North Carolina I thought it was going to be hella racist down there because it's the South. But just from my own personal experience, I've never come across anybody who was being obviously racist to me. Even the dudes rolling around with rebel flags are some of the friendliest people I've ever met lol.

It also seems to me that Hmong people are finally coming out of their shell! I've seen more and more gay couples, trans (is that the correct word?) Hmong people, Hmong people dressing how they want to now instead of the usual hip-hop clothing style, Hmong people dating other races, and more diversity in general with the Hmong community! I'm happy for Hmong people!!

Watch out other Asians!! We Hmong people are catching up, hahaha.

Coming out of the shell is something I hope to see more in the coming decades. We're still apart of the old generation because of our parents. They're immigrants from a different society and that's all they know. For many of us our parents aren't just going to let us do whatever we want unless we really want to hurt our relationship with them or possibly even end it. When it's guys like you and me that are grandparents and our parents generation have all passed on then I think we'll see much more open mindedness from the Hmong American community.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I haven't experienced much racism in my life. Funny thing is that I actually experienced more racism when I use to live in Wisconsin. When I found out my family was moving to North Carolina I thought it was going to be hella racist down there because it's the South. But just from my own personal experience, I've never come across anybody who was being obviously racist to me. Even the dudes rolling around with rebel flags are some of the friendliest people I've ever met lol.

Growing up where I did; this is always the thing that boggles my mind. Some of the people who I thought would be the most openly racist folks ever are the sweetest people ever. It's like Southern Hospitality trumps Racism temporarily, or something.

You should post that in the Vending Machine Challenge thread. Talk about gross.

Ugh, that challenge is nasty af. I get that he's treating it as an off day but why do that to your body bruh? Who cares about a gift card lol

@Rice-Eater, definitely and I agree with you wholehartedly. Yea, Wisconsin doesn't like Hmong people. But Hmong people surely love Wisconsin for some odd reason *shrugs

@Cybit, didn't you know? Neo-nazis and racist people love Asian people for some odd reason but they hate every other race! /not serious

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Guys I was talking to a potential advisor (for my thesis) last night, and he said that Hilary Clinton would be the worst thing to ever happen to America because of her dishonesty in Benghazi, that Bill Clinton doing nothing as First Husband would ruin (the chastity of young) women, and..

I just told him I didn't really follow politics.

AHMIGOD. AHHMIGOD. HE'S A BRILLIANT MAN OTHERWISE. REALLY SMART. But Mormon and a staunch Republican. BUT WOW. BENGHAZIIII.

World views are a scary thing. This is why I always shake my head when GAF convinces itself that all Republicans are dumb and that they're all just poor in-bred hicks or rich white people preying on everyone. There are a lot of really intelligent people who just grew up Republican, or have specific experiences that shape their own views.

Liberal non-voters often frustrate the crap out of me because their laziness about "Oh, republicans are just going to die out and they're going to lose because demographics!!" is precisely why republicans more or less own this damn country. Worked on the 2004 & 8 Obama campaigns...the difference between working in the Midwest and Washington is mind blowing.

@Western - this is why when we build countries, we specifically tell them not to follow America's political system, and to go with a parliamentary one.

zeemumu

I wish we can just blow up American politics and rebuild from the ground up. This shit makes no sense when you actually sit down and think about it.

Politics aren't going to make sense from a single viewpoint. They're the product of multiple people with multiple viewpoints trying to push what they think is best (sometimes just what's best for them), and sometimes being too damn stubborn to compromise when they don't walk away with 100% of the deal. On top of that there are people who would use this system to take what they can and run by exchanging money for power regardless of whether or not that exchange is beneficial to the country as a whole.

Building from the ground up would require a lot more than just getting rid of ever politician currently in office.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't know where to laugh or cry at that "Professor Job" OT thread.

If you want to know why Asians often feel like maybe we should just stay out of this whole "racial issues in America" thing - that thread is it in a nutshell. Feel like we're minorities or not minorities when it is convenient for someone else's political points.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
My friends and I like to joke about how "leadership skills" is a term used by admissions committees to weed out Asians.

As someone who has been involved in college admissions - it absolutely is. There's a reason everyone switched to "holistic" admissions processes - no accountability.

Zoe

You don't (legally) achieve that by setting hiring quotas or blocking applicants. You do that during the recruiting phase.

SystemBug

You don't (legally) achieve that by setting hiring quotas or blocking applicants. You do that during the recruiting phase.

i think you should achieve that in which ever way necessary.

if there was a job application that strictly asked for a native american position, i would feel the same way.

I don't think there's a realistic way to implement affirmative action without also issuing quotas. I mean, how else can you get your ratios where you want them to be?

They probably could've called it some type of endowment position...funded by some cultural benefactor in order to increase diversity....

Call it the Neil Degrasse Tyson endowment..

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'll echo what I said in the thread. If the university is demanding diversity in their professor ranks, don't fucking sugarcoat it and lie on the ad. Just own that decision. Stop trying to weasel out of it.

I don't think there's a realistic way to implement affirmative action without also issuing quotas. I mean, how else can you get your ratios where you want them to be?

In the timeline people want it in?

You can't.

That's the dirty secret. If you want to make it sustainable, and long-term, and meaningful - you do it during the recruiting phase, you do it by mentoring students in undergrad and graduate school.

But if you are stuck dealing with the symptoms of your predecessors' inaction and folks are demanding equality right now in easy, metric measurable form - you just put quotas in and be happy that none of them know how statistics work.

In the timeline people want it in?

You can't.

That's the dirty secret. If you want to make it sustainable, and long-term, and meaningful - you do it during the recruiting phase, you do it by mentoring students in undergrad and graduate school.

But if you are stuck dealing with the symptoms of your predecessors' inaction and folks are demanding equality right now in easy, metric measurable form - you just put quotas in and be happy that none of them know how statistics work.
Right, but this scenario exists in a vacuum and assumes you have an equal number of equally qualified candidates from each group. You don't for myriad reasons. Realistically, even in the long run--or even if you just admit all qualified applicants--you're going to end up with a disproportionate number of representatives from certain groups.

EDIT:
What really gets me is how "minorities" and "people of color" is being used in a manner that inherently excludes Asians.

Yeah thanks a fucking lot y'all.
I've mentioned it in this thread before, but this really rubs me the wrong way. You'll get a thread that talks about minorities, and it will always digress into whites and blacks only after a while.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Right, but this scenario exists in a vacuum and assumes you have an equal number of equally qualified candidates from each group. You don't for myriad reasons. Realistically, even in the long run--or even if you just admit all qualified applicants--you're going to end up with a disproportionate number of representatives from certain groups.

EDIT:

I've mentioned it in this thread before, but this really rubs me the wrong way. You'll get a thread that talks about minorities, and it will always digress into whites and blacks only after a while.

Yes - but people don't understand statistics, they really don't fucking understand correlation vs causation, and don't understand that groups can be skewed for non "-ist" reasons. They see a group of 850; and if it's not close to perfectly proportional across the breadth of America - it's inherently assumed that there's something wrong with the group. Read a couple blog posts about this back in the day.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/02/11/black-people-less-likely/

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/10/23/a-whiter-shade-of-candidate/

Infinite

sup asian-gaf

I saw a post that university hiring thread that I thought was interesting but I didn't want to comment on it in there because it would have led the disussion off topic. I thought here would be the best place to bring it up and it looks like the discussion has already spread here. In any case this is the post in question from backslashbunny

It can't be because "people of color" never see Asians as "people of color" (see first page posts), and "non-people-of-color" see us as "not white," can it?

you really feel this way?

sup asian-gaf

I saw a post that university hiring thread that I thought was interesting but I didn't want to comment on it in there because it would have led the disussion off topic. I thought here would be the best place to bring it up and it looks like the discussion has already spread here. In any case this is the post in question from backslashbunny

Yes, but pretty much only in the big picture sense. In my normal life, it makes zero difference, but definitely if I think in terms of the entire country (including online), I feel we sit somewhere between white and black and belong with neither group.

Also, hi!

sup asian-gaf

Yes.. just look at any school application that asks about your minority status or talk about diversity... Because being an Asian male from California isn't their definition of minority

Infinite

Yes, but pretty much only in the big picture sense. In my normal life, it makes zero difference, but definitely if I think in terms of the entire country (including online), I feel we sit somewhere between white and black and belong with neither group.

Also, hi!

interesting that your phrased it as white and black. What makes you feel this way though? lack of solidarity?

Hi!

Yes, that is what I have observed when it comes to things like representation/etc.

No one says "poc" and means Asians.

No white person sees Asians as white.
I don't know if I can completely agree with that. I don't really see this playing out like that from my experiences with the term in the context of social justice and racism where people use it to specifically refer non white people which definitely includes Asians. However I see where you are coming from in the context of diversity in colleges and STEM where people would be like "we need more poc in those areas" and not realized that it's very populated with south and east Asians who are people of color.

I won't lie and say everyone is down with intersectionality, but me personally having hung out with mostly east/south Asian people since college and onward I try to stay up on Asian/Asian American issues. However, in America it's pretty much always been black vs. white with Hispanic and Asians relegated to the sidelines just because of the difference in magnitude. I think that's why most articles that people post about race relation (hell, most articles written about race relations) only focus on the black-white dynamic. It's on people posting to look for more inclusive articles if they want to expand the conversation, but I definitely think they're harder to find.

interesting that your phrased it as white and black. What makes you feel this way though? lack of solidarity?
I mean, we don't have a strong cultural identity in the US and get ignored by whichever group finds it convenient to do so. If you look in the latest affirmative action thread that's going on right now, the exclusion of Asian applicants went ignored immediately until Kite brought it up, and that's an example of other minority groups grouping us with "whites." At the same time, though, I also don't think whites would consider us white, either, so we're kind of excluded b both sides.

I mean, we don't have a strong cultural identity in the US and get ignored by whichever group finds it convenient to do so. If you look in the latest affirmative action thread that's going on right now, the exclusion of Asian applicants went ignored immediately until Kite brought it up, and that's an example of other minority groups grouping us with "whites." At the same time, though, I also don't think whites would consider us white, either, so we're kind of excluded b both sides.

I mean, you do have to take into account the relative ages/lack of experience of many posters here, coupled with the environment the American ones are growing up in. People are just straight up ignorant (in the neutral sense) of everything various Asians have had to deal with and still deal with. I did a double take when I saw they were excluding Asians too because that right there lets you know claims of prioritizing diversity are bullshit.

Don't want Kite to be the messenger tho lol

I mean, you do have to take into account the relative ages/lack of experience of many posters here, coupled with the environment the American ones are growing up in. People are just straight up ignorant (in the neutral sense) of everything various Asians have had to deal with and still deal with. I did a double take when I saw they were excluding Asians too because that right there lets you know claims of prioritizing diversity are bullshit.

Don't want Kite to be the messenger tho lol
No, I get it. I just seem more incensed about it on GAF than I actually am, since this is my only real outlet for this kind of thing.

That, and complaining about how fucking stupid "America" is whenever I watch The Voice.

clav

I'm only 5'6" (aka holy shit you're tall for an Asian girl). I wish I was 2 inches taller, but my dad banned all dairy from our home when I was in high school for fear I would grow too tall for "good Asian boys." My dad is 5'10" and my mom is 5'4". They also discouraged me from wearing heels for the same reason, so I actually couldn't walk in heels until about three months ago.

does milk actually help you get taller? i drank a lot when i was younger but im still lol, not tall.

have fun in texas. went there two times in my life. so hot that the pavement/road actually starts to melt.
Actually no.

Heavy marketing by the milk industry did wonders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/upshot/got-milk-might-not-be-doing-you-much-good.html

Top Bottom