• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Sober

I literally failed the integration (iirc) part of calc, i.e. the entire second half of first year calc, also the stuff I didn't learn in grade 12. That was half the course. I made it out somehow with a passing mark. I literally could not write half of my final exam cause I was just so bad at it. That was years ago, but I'm pretty sure I just left it blank.

Honestly to this day I'm sure some guy bell-curved the fuck out of everyone cause I was convinced I failed. Despite that I failed a course that I needed for my degree and had to take it again - and that did not involve any math at all. LOL

I think that I just had multiplication tables drilled into me as a child helped. Certainly doing a lot of mental math without reaching for a calculator (if this is 30$ and it's 60% off, how much is it now?) definitely helped and probably helps more in everyday life unless you're putting a math degree to use (note: I don't have a math degree).

I was so bad at math High school, my English teacher declared I'm living proof that Asian stereotype are not true.

Well I decided to finally start college. I have exams next week to determine if I need remedial courses and I barely remember HS math so I'm "re learning" on Khan academy and some help from friends. My brain is fried.

zeemumu

Guys, is it sad that the only thing I'm excited about on my birthday is 50¢ Corn Dogs at Sonic? Lol

Not really. I once spent my birthday laying in an open field watching the clouds because no one was home and I had no plans.

The Toy Story ride in California Adventure >>>> the Buzz Lightyear ride.

Both are fun though.

I'm better at the aim and shoot of Astro Blasters even though that's not saying much. Midway Mania requires you to be able to out-fap your opponent, granted you'd probably either tear it off or get friction burn if you fapped at that speed.

Sober

History lesson: Chinese people didn't care for western math until they realized they needed it to use cannons. Western cannons! Whoops!

All about that artillery.

mercviper

yea i don't really go to OT anymore.

Guys are you good at math?
I like math and logic-y things. The best thing about math for me is if you forget your higher level stuff you can always build it back up through the basics. (I have terrible memorization) history and fact classes completely kill me, and I only really had trouble with math when I was learning limits and series in calc as well as remembering what sin/cos/tan integrate into.

But I had to find out if I could eat it :<.

I failed calc 3x.

However, I'm in tax/accounting now, so I guess my math is good ENOUGH.

ALSO GUYS THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER. Freaking peach JELLY sake... holy shit so good.

img_20150521_202321-2.jpg

I can't imagine needing calc in tax/accounting..of course I know very little of that field.

simplayer

I like math and logic-y things. The best thing about math for me is if you forget your higher level stuff you can always build it back up through the basics. (I have terrible memorization) history and fact classes completely kill me, and I only really had trouble with math when I was learning limits and series in calc as well as remembering what sin/cos/tan integrate into.

You can still go back to the basics for this stuff too.

Math is fun though. Love the problem solving in it.

I'll try it when I'm there.. but it sounds like something you can make yourself.
Yeah, but I think they use specific brands, and also their izakaya is really good, which makes the sake taste better.

There's an alcohol shop here that sells all sorts of drinks. I think you'd be able to find it online, at a liquor store, or at a Japanese super market.
What shop is this? Do they carry Orion?

Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa. They have a large selection, so you'll probably be able to find them, but I'd call them first and see. Their customer service is really good, and their tastings are all legit. Check out their cigars too if you're into that thing.

Mmm... good izakaya? I'll put it on my list to try the next time my partner is in town!
That's kind of far for me. Maybe one day. =\

Yes, good izakaya. If you're into that, there are a few places around Torrance (although that's my favorite one). FuRaiBo and Musha are popular, too.

Kikirin

The best thing about math for me is if you forget your higher level stuff you can always build it back up through the basics. (I have terrible memorization) history and fact classes completely kill me, and I only really had trouble with math when I was learning limits and series in calc as well as remembering what sin/cos/tan integrate into.

This is very much me, to the point where I almost failed U.S. history in high school. My entire high school and college maths and sciences career was built entirely on being able to do this - unfortunately, this also means that nothing really stuck for me, so it'd be rough for me to recall anything a graduate should know now.

OT is dumb when you enter a thread and realize most people are wearing their disingenuity on their sleeves. Or it's a comic book thread (for a show or movie) and it's just full of COMIC BOOKS nerds reciting comic books lore one after another because the adaption isn't exactly as they read it in a comic book. And there are just so many superhero comic book threads nowadays (either for CBs, or for adaptations) that this problem gets really stupid. (hint: I don't really read comic books)

Comic book fans and wrestling fans for me suddenly just appeared out of nowhere for me in the past few years. Where did they all come from?

Gaming Side is just as terrible as ever, at least something's consistent.

(also I almost failed first year calc in uni, I'm no good at actual math, but I can probably outpace anyone in simple mental math. probably cause im asian and all)

Please don't be angry at us comic book nerds. There were times when comics were all we had!

nitewulf

cream cream filled

2a7a0_1310235.jpg

SE Asia represent. I was born in Bangladesh, raised in Brooklyn, NY.
I did study engineering but became a banker because money.
I do write on the side, used to participate a lot in the creative writing challenges here, but haven't really written anything significant in a while. Though I submitted an old story to Akashic Noir's "Monday's are Murder" series, and they are publishing it.

SRG01

I did study engineering but became a banker because money.

I'm seriously contemplating a move to finance because engineering isn't that lucrative and my finances are pulling me in three directions at once (ailing retiring parents, saving for future, etc) :(

zeemumu

I'm seriously contemplating a move to finance because engineering isn't that lucrative and my finances are pulling me in three directions at once (ailing retiring parents, saving for future, etc) :(

I don't think I can afford a change in major. I've been questioning whether or not I like my major for some time. I like building working programs and making games, but the tedium leading up to that is a pain in the ass. Weighing the pros and cons.

Yea I'm using Khan academy at the moment and I am struggling to remember shit. Even if I take some notes.

nitewulf

yeah engineering sucks for money, i peaked early and my salary flatlined at a ridiculously low level, i was barely surviving. left that shit, boosted my salary almost 2 folds, never looked back. fuck that.

Rainy

Banned
I hated math once I got into high school. In college it was a bit better because I essentially was relearning calculus I learned in high school so it wasn't bad. (I also only had to take 2 quarters of calculus, and was able to test out of statistics due to my AP score.)

Physics was really annoying...but I honestly found it a lot more interesting than math. Maybe it's the experiments we did idk.

SRG01

yeah engineering sucks for money, i peaked early and my salary flatlined at a ridiculously low level, i was barely surviving. left that shit, boosted my salary almost 2 folds, never looked back. fuck that.

I actually teach engineering so I think I'm in an even worse spot :(

I failed you Asian-GAF. I finally went back to Ramen Tatsu-ya, but I forgot to take pictures because I was sooo looking forward to eating.

I even had to finish off two other bowls for friends. ;__; lol

Edit: My best friend, who also happens to be my ex girlfriend, told me happy birthday today. I don't know whether to laugh, or cry.

I failed you Asian-GAF. I finally went back to Ramen Tatsu-ya, but I forgot to take pictures because I was sooo looking forward to eating.

I even had to finish off two other bowls for friends. ;__; lol

I never had a bowl of typical Ramen at that place yet. I keep getting the Tsukemen 3 times in the row. It's so damn good and I always get an extra Ajitama. I do feel really fat after eating there though because I drink those mexican cokes waiting in line and then some more when eating. I don't even have soda at home, but I guess it just tastes better out of a bottle.

I've been up since 4am, and I can't go back to sleep. I think it's because it's my birthday, but I'm not doing anything special. xP

I'm an old fart. I need food, because I'm starving... Wait... I forgot about the 50¢ corn dogs! YESSSSSSSSS!

I got you covered, no worries. I took pictures of food... might as well upload them now since I'm stuck at IAH overnight :(.

Oh, yesss. The first and third are my favorites! I actually haven't had crawfish in a good while! I really miss eating it, especially at gatherings. I don't even know what the second picture is of, but I'd eat it, hah.

The random weather is pretty horrible. Sorry you had stay overnight, but at least it's safer there. D:

That BBQ looks so good at 11:30PM...

It would look good at any time to be honest.

Truthfully,
all food is good no matter the time.

I never had a bowl of typical Ramen at that place yet. I keep getting the Tsukemen 3 times in the row. It's so damn good and I always get an extra Ajitama. I do feel really fat after eating there though because I drink those mexican cokes waiting in line and then some more when eating. I don't even have soda at home, but I guess it just tastes better out of a bottle.

Really? You really should whenever you can! I mean, all of them are pretty damn amazing. But heck yes! The dipping ramen is the best one, I would never get tired of it. Like 80% I'll get it, sometimes it'll be the other ramen options.

One thing I have to always get is the Munchie Katsu Slider. That thing is heaven! If there was a burger of it... &#8857;&#65103;&#8857;

When you say Mexican comes, do you mean the ones in the glass bottles? Because those are so good (although I only drink water now) It's kind of weird, tastes completely different, in a good way, to the cans/plastic bottles.

StMeph

When you say Mexican comes, do you mean the ones in the glass bottles? Because those are so good (although I only drink water now) It's kind of weird, tastes completely different, in a good way, to the cans/plastic bottles.

Mexican Coke (and some Coke outside the US) uses sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Basically wherever there are laws restricting the use of HFCS.

BlueSteel

o, welcome back bunny!

On the subject of foods, I got an ice cream maker and have made the following:

Honeydew Sencha Sorbet
Mango Lassi Ice Cream
Berry Mint
Mango Sorbet
Riesling Pear Sorbet
Red Bean and Coconut Milk Sorbet(?)

I should run a frozen treats shop.

Top Bottom