• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Even though I'm allergic to 99% of all puppies; there's no way I wouldn't be walking out of there with that cutie. Holy cow.

y2dvd

heBDRqL.gif

I'm sure some of y'all have seen this, BUT I HAD TO SHARE IT IN CASE YOU DIDN'T.

IT'S SO CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

144420-20animated_gif20hirasawa_yui20imoutoroll20k-on.gif
I'll take 10!

Which pet?

A puppy (later on we found it was a dog, just that it was a teacup) It was the cutest thing ever. I had found it in an abandoned area all alone, so I took it in till I could find it a home. (Didn't have a collar either) I ended giving her to my friends mother. Haven't hung out with that friend in a good while, so I haven't seen it. (〒︿〒)

It looked like this, except it had brown on it's feet and brown tips on its ears.

edfb25d9188a5afec9df679a32c17241.jpg

BlueSteel

Dude those all sound AMAZING.

Make something with lychee :eek:. Passionfruit!

BLACK SESAME. MATCHA GREEN TEA.

Oh shit, black sesame would be great.

The problem with sorbets, and tea sorbets is that you absolutely need sugar to make it the sorbet consistency... but I'll give it a shot and return with results.

cdyhybrid

So apparently Emma Stone's character in Aloha (which looks lame as hell, by the way) is supposed to be a quarter Hawaiian and a quarter Chinese.

jBMyykj.gif

Ooh I read about that.

I liked this image.

cza5yel.jpg

They're also giving the role of an Asian man to a white woman in Dr. Strange.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Doct...Tilda-Swinton-Gender-Swapping-Role-71682.html

I didn't bother posting this in OT, and I know there was a thread on it but I didn't go into it. There's no point, because I can only imagine all the sweetly racist comments that will come from it.

I've given up about the racism towards Asians here. Really. I actually frequent some subreddits for it elsewhere now. I can let out all my anger there, and come back here for food and puppies <3333333

I see people in the China navy dispute thread already trying to bait you. Resist as best you can!

As for the Dr. Strange news, I actually think it's forward thinking of Marvel to not just go with the old wise Asian man stereotype that the Ancient One has always been. Tilda Swinton is a fantastic out of the box choice.

Now, all the hoopla over people wanting an Asian Iron Fist is definitely something I can understand getting upset over.

jasonng

This is mostly about Asian women, but I thought it was interesting in that it focuses on the Asian part more than the women part.

The full documentary is available online through many universities, but here's a short trailer about it.

It's called Slaying The Dragon: Reborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFP5oH0aZlE

If you can watch the whole documentary and have 30 minutes to spare, I really recommend it.
I'll take a look. It sounds interesting enough but I'm afraid it'll go over things I already know.

Where's west asia!?
187.jpg

Sober

The Middle East used to be called the "Near East" when British Empire was the big cheese around town.

also, I don't know, it depends on attraction I think btw, I live in Toronto but I can probably guess a lot of AM/AF couples are fobs, which is to say they really don't have much choice in the matter on who they can date realistically, or that they value cultural homogeneity more (which is another thing altogether probably).

My brother's girlfriend of almost forever is Chinese as well, but they're both fairly ABC/CBC than anything. I don't really ask about them much so I'm not too sure how they got there, but again, they're probably more alike in non-cultural ways that that is possible.

I have terrible luck with women though so not sure what I can say. Just that I'm not adverse to being attracted to Asian women but I think just as I grew older I just grew out of that, sort of, or the fobby girls really put me off to it. I think I'm generally just more attracted to white women because I'm pretty fucking white myself so I see more similarities to connect to more than anything else. I don't think I need to bemoan the issues of attraction to asian males anymore than has been ever repeated in the history of the internet though.

jasonng

We do need to ask why Asian women aren't attracted to Asian men, and we need to stop accepting the whole "I just don't like Asian men" as an answer without examining WHY they might not think Asian men are attractive.

Are we talking about Asian women in Western countries? Because I do believe having more options plays a factor in attraction. As much as we like to vent about Hollywood and media demonizing Asian men I do believe that these guys should bear some responsibilities on how they carry themselves. I do think more Asian men should be more assertive and take initiative. Their cultural background may teach them to be passive/kind but I think we should learn to strike a balance and adapt to a Western world.

What DOES weird me out, and thank goodness I never heard anyone said this to me, is when Asian women say they don't date Asian guys because they remind them too much of their brother/cousin/family. You don't hear that with other ethnic backgrounds so I don't know what that implies.

I didn't really answer your question though. I would like to hear the reasons myself.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What a massive fuckup. Asian movie-goers don't want to see roles of asian characters go to whites. And white movie-goers don't want to see Asians at all ever

Ashes

Banned
But it says middle east right there @___@

We do need to ask why Asian women aren't attracted to Asian men, and we need to stop accepting the whole "I just don't like Asian men" as an answer without examining WHY they might not think Asian men are attractive.

I did an on the cuff experiment with an asian girl [japanese], who said she didn't really find other asian men attractive. And she said something like she knew it was wrong, but that it was just her preference.

But like any race, you have all types [especially Asians lol]. And I just showed her a bunch of pics. And it turns out she does think attractive Asian men are attractive...

And these were just random pics I googled there and then. I remember showing her Tony Leung Chiu Wai back then... I wouldn't have picked him out [speaking as a hetrosexual male], but each to their own.

This guy:

Best-Asian-cinema-In-the-mood-for-love-Luscious-website.jpg

zeemumu

What a massive fuckup. Asian movie-goers don't want to see roles of asian characters go to whites. And white movie-goers don't want to see Asians at all ever

It's got like a 17% on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't think they actually put thought into her background. They just slapped something together and hoped that no one would notice. At least it's not The Last Airbender. No one could make sense of that one.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
But that one scene in Transformers with a Chinese backdrop for a scene...

people proceed to freak out "omigod what sell outs" "didn't belong" "obvious marketing ploy"

........ okay @____@

I think us being 6% of the population is the problem, despite the fact that 33% of Hawaii is of Asian/Pacific Islander descent.

/huffhuffhuff

(My reaction is probably being exacerbated by my stress levels. 30 page paper due in two weeks, in tax, on top of working, another class, and a midterm / homework / tests. WORK IS GAF TIME?!)

Don't get banned (again). You can't fix ignorant or stupid over the internet. :p

A person is not smart. They're just varying levels of dumb and even more dumb.

People just have the average of all the dumb in each person and skews it to be even further dumb.

I know this to be fact because if a single person was smart he/she would not be reduced to a bumbling mess in close proximity to kitties and other cute animals.

Then all of a sudden, a white chick playing a hapa? OH NO SHE COULD TOTES BE ASIAN BECAUSE I TOTES KNOW MIXED ASIAN/WHITE PEEPZ THAT LOOK WHITE.

Bitch please.

I love how Emma's character describes herself as 1/4 Chinese-1/4 Hawaiian-1/2 Swedish, blah, blah, blah.
On the Islands she would just call herself hapa, but she's clearly not hapa so they have to go with a convoluted background.

KJ4vr0im.jpg

When I was vacationing in korea, took pictures with traditional korean wear.

Oh so cute :D

Im going to Seoul in a few weeks' time.... First time visit! I can has some tips of things must do/ places must visit / restaurants must nom at?

Also Emma Stone as Allison Ng is definitely THE LAST NG ON EARTH. lel

zeemumu

I don't know, don't dogs AND cats eat bunnies? :>

Dogs do. We have so many coyotes out here who will eat rabbits (and smaller dogs who have escaped their houses and are wandering around outside or get left in a yard easily accessible to coyotes). That's why my dog wasn't allowed outside when he was a puppy unless I was there. I don't think cats do.

Also, why am I not surprised that MOST of those posts are, "well I know someone that is part Asian and they don't look Asian AT ALL."

I haven't gone into that thread because I'm sure it would piss me the fuck off, but have the usual suspects of the "well I date/am dating an Asian so that makes me an authority and... I deem this to be okay" people reared their head in that thread yet?

I haven't gone into that thread because I'm sure it would piss me the fuck off, but have the usual suspects of the "well I date/am dating an Asian so that makes me an authority and... I deem this to be okay" people reared their head in that thread yet?

From what I've seen, no.

Top Bottom