• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

DogMeat77

I'm holding off until the patch. It isn't like 900p is a nightmare or anything... but I'm already playing KZ, NBA2k14, Need For Speed, and Warframe. I haven't even taken the plastic off AC4 or BF4. So i figure I might as well just wait until I can bask in the 1080p glory.

Tohsaka

The PS4 patch can't come soon enough. AC4 was the game I wanted to play the most when I got my PS4, but I'm willing to wait to experience it at its best.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm debating whether I should hold off for the patch or not too. It would be a lot more helpful if they gave some kind of window they were shooting for to get the patch out. I don't know if it's coming this week or next month.

maneil99

The PS4 patch can't come soon enough. AC4 was the game I wanted to play the most when I got my PS4, but I'm willing to wait to experience it at its best.

AC4 on PC runs the same if not worse as AC3, drops into the 20s on boats with my 780 GTX at times. Prefer 30 fps with a controller on a tv vs variable on the monitor for some reason. Take that as you will

3570k 4.7ghz
8gb DDR3 1600mhz
780 GTX 1254/6560mhz

maneil99

I'm debating whether I should hold off for the patch or not too. It would be a lot more helpful if they gave some kind of window they were shooting for to get the patch out. I don't know if it's coming this week or next month.

Play now so you feel that 900p-1080p + new AA jump

Tohsaka

AC4 on PC runs the same if not worse as AC3, drops into the 20s on boats with my 780 GTX at times. Prefer 30 fps with a controller on a tv vs variable on the monitor for some reason. Take that as you will

3570k 4.7ghz
8gb DDR3 1600mhz
780 GTX 1254/6560mhz

That's... disheartening.

diggler41

I was wanting to hold off but just had to try it yesterday. Looks pretty goddamn good. Wasn't too impressed with the game itself until about 2 hours in(got hung up collecting stuff like an idiot). Having a blast now and it's easily my favorite AC since the 2nd

Derrick01

Banned
Play now so you feel that 900p-1080p + new AA jump

I was wanting to hold off but just had to try it yesterday. Looks pretty goddamn good. Wasn't too impressed with the game itself until about 2 hours in(got hung up collecting stuff like an idiot). Having a blast now and it's easily my favorite AC since the 2nd

Hrm. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow if I don't get hung up on any of the other games I have.

Damn, nice clip! Been watching a friend play it on 360 a bit here and that looks infinitely better. The fidelity and amount of the smoke and particle effects is just a massive step up, not to mention draw distance and overall detail.

Oh for sure. The next gen version has awesome stuff like that. Better shaders for the water, way more dense and dynamic rain. I am really impressed.

That's... disheartening.

Extremely disheartening.

Incidentally, does /anyone/ know how this works through Uplay? The email I have from the nvidia promotion says it'll show up in my game library in the client as soon as it's released, but I've heard some talk of being emailed a key. If it were to appear in the client, does that happen at midnight (given that the game is already available to those with keys)? Or do we have to wait until Ubi gets around to flipping some switch on the 19th? I'm absurdly impatient and desperate to play this, and not being able to VPN unlock it early has been driving me crazy.

Damn, well that's a lot of time wasted (I've collected most of them). I was hoping it'd give me some sort of armor, outfit, or weapons...

Also, I'm annoyed my game is still bugged out and I cannot complete all the Assassin Contracts. :(

Mine bugged too in Havana. Locked at 5/6 and there is no skull for the sixth. Can they fix this is or is it just fucked?

Formosa

I don't get this game... should I explore the islands/towns while I am there? Or should I come back for it? BEcause if I follow the story line, it will just lead me to another island or town....

I don't get this game... should I explore the islands/towns while I am there? Or should I come back for it? BEcause if I follow the story line, it will just lead me to another island or town....

Do whatever you feel like dude. It's open world. The story is kind of convoluted, so don't feel bad if you find it hard to follow. Find treasure and get money to upgrade your ship to take on bigger and more tough ships. A lot of the upgrades you get for the ship are unlocked through story progression. I am playing through about 50/50 doing a bunch of side stuff and then tackling main missions.

I've been holding off on starting this in hopes for some news on the patch, but I think I'm just gonna give in tomorrow.

I WANT MY EXTRA Ps THOUGH, UBISOFT. GET WITH THE PATCHING AND GIMME MY Ps.

This game is so so so much better than I was expecting. I haven't had this much fun with an Assassins Creed game since.....ever. Brotherhood was my favorite, but it has been dethroned in every way. To think, if Watch_Dogs came out, I may not have ever played this game. I love being a pirate! Swinging on ropes from ship to ship, sailing through storms, stopping on remote islands looking for treasure, and exploring those islands....so beautiful. Ubisoft really outdid themselves. I just wish every PS4 launch game turned out this good. I'm about 10 hours in, only on Sequence 3, and I could care a less about even progressing the story. I just want to build up my fleet, pimp out my ship and find every collectible in the game. I haven't been this driven to see and do everything in an AC game since probably AC 2. If you're even remotely on the fence about this game, just jump in. This is certainly a high water mark for the Assassins Creed team!

hlhbk

3570k 4.7ghz
8gb DDR3 1600mhz
780 GTX 1254/6560mhz

It was reported if you changed the shadow settings to normal instead of high that it fixes the FPS issue. Have you tried that?

3570k 4.7ghz
8gb DDR3 1600mhz
780 GTX 1254/6560mhz
Glad to see it's not exclusive to my system. I've got a 7970 and my average FPS is in the high 30's and it drops to the low 20's in certain areas. That's with everything maxed and 2x MSAA. Swapping MSAA for SMAA/FXAA helps a little bit, but I still get dips into the mid 20's.

The game itself is fantastic, though.

It was reported if you changed the shadow settings to normal instead of high that it fixes the FPS issue. Have you tried that?
The shadow settings go through low - very high, and then low - high again for soft shadows. Either way, turning shadows down netted me 1-2 FPS at most. If I turn God Rays down to low instead of high I get a 4-5 FPS boost, but I like the way they look too much to do that. And even with God Rays and shadows on low I still drop below 30 FPS. My GPU usage also plummets when my framerate does, so hopefully these are just driver issues.

And to clarify, I do have the game pre-ordered on Steam, but it's not yet unlocked and I've been playing since Saturday. Take from that what you will.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone had a bug with Assassination side-missions failing to pop up in Havana or elsewhere? I completed 4/6 and did every other available activity in the city but mission 5/6 never popped up.

I think I bugged it because the mission was 2-part - reach the designated area, and assassinate the target. But I assassinated him without ever stepping foot into the zone (via a berserk dart). And now it seems to be stuck :/

ReaperXL7

So i decided I would try my hand against a Legendary Ship.....and I got wrecked in record time. Im easily going to have to upgrade abit further before I bother with that one again.

I kind of feel like they missed an oppritunity with those battles though, they should have put you up against famous real pirate/military ships for those as I feel like it would have made the term legendary actually mean something outside of just some big ass boat.

I also stormed a fort in the middle of a hurricane, it was pretty amazing. You really need to watch out for the waternados as they can do lots of damage really quickly. Its even more fun to lure ships your battling into them for some nice damage.

Also bagged my first Killer Whale, I missed my screenshot opp, but I will not miss my change the moment I take down a Blue whale. The enviroment in this game is just amazing in general, but it really shines when your sailing the ocean.

If I had any real complaints so far it would be that I wish they had a dedicated "sneaking" button as some the stealth bits are a pain the ass due to the only real way you can sneak is by hiding in a bush.

What better place to pose the question:

Having never played a game in the franchise before; would this be as good a place as any to start?

As a french Canadian living in Montreal, the "out of animus" scenes are fucking hilarious and ridiculous.ous and ridiculous.
Not French Canadian but just Canadian living in BC so I am no expert :p, but I agree. I cringed at the french guy acting all piratey 'YAARRRR' in the beginning. I have a bunch of french friends, and dated a french girl for six years and the goofy representation is so fucking silly. I can't believe this was made by French people, lol.

Truant

Did some digging. The PC version everyone seems to be playing is a cracked russian version with english content stuffed in there.

My steam version isn't unlocking for a few hours, so you guys must be playing the pirated version.

Fistwell

Did some digging. The PC version everyone seems to be playing is a cracked russian version with english content stuffed in there.
Oh snap. In any case, good to hear about performance from people having messed with it. My paltry 670 probably can't handle this at reasonable framerates. PS4 it is (erh, will be, 1 and a 1/2 weeks from now). What does it run at on PS4? 30ish?

MilkBeard

What better place to pose the question:

Having never played a game in the franchise before; would this be as good a place as any to start?

Personally I would say yes. The only other AC game I've played is III, and I stopped playing that one after a few hours. I've been playing AC4 now that I got a PS4 and I have to say it's very addicting. It's the game that I think about playing when I'm out doing real life stuff.

As for story continuity and all that, I haven't played the Assassin's Creed games before III so I'm not sure how it fits in that sense.

MilkBeard

Oh snap. In any case, good to hear about performance from people having messed with it. My paltry 670 probably can't handle this at reasonable framerates. PS4 it is (erh, will be, 1 and a 1/2 weeks from now). What does it run at on PS4? 30ish?

I don't know the exact number but from my playing it seems to run at a very steady 30 fps. It's much much better than what AC used to run on consoles in the past.

Personally I would say yes. The only other AC game I've played is III, and I stopped playing that one after a few hours. I've been playing AC4 now that I got a PS4 and I have to say it's very addicting. It's the game that I think about playing when I'm out doing real life stuff.

As for story continuity and all that, I haven't played the Assassin's Creed games before III so I'm not sure how it fits in that sense.

Awesome rundown of your experience.

Would you say you feel lost in terms of story and context, or is it pretty self-contained?

MilkBeard

Awesome rundown of your experience.

Would you say you feel lost in terms of story and context, or is it pretty self-contained?

Hmmm, good question. The game does run through enough to give you an idea of what's going on at least for this game. As for how the game fits in the bigger picture, you may want to read a general synopsis of the Assassin's Creed storyline. I'm still a bit in the dark as to the whole templars/assassins thing going on, although I have a general idea.

Top Bottom