• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Petrichor

Oh Ubisoft. There is no info more useless to know via the HUD than the amount of pounds sterling Connor has, yet it's the only element you can't turn off. It's actually more annoying to see that lone tiny icon at the bottom of the screen than the entire display.

Connor assumed Charles Lee
set fire to his village, killing his mother.

but
he didn't, and conor knows that by the end of the game, but still pursues him anyway

exYle

but
he didn't, and conor knows that by the end of the game, but still pursues him anyway

By that point, I figure Connor has been
indoctrinated by his own sense of justice and very heavily invested in the Assassin-Templar war. Besides, despite Lee not burning down Connor's village, Lee has done nothing worthy of redemption, and is still a contemptible figure.

Alfredo

I just realized this, so forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but if the performance isn't any worse on the Wii U, that version might be the best one, solely because you don't have to deal with the stupid separate weapons/recruit screens. You just use the GamePad for that stuff, so your gameplay isn't interrupted.

It makes me wonder if they purposefully screwed up those systems on the 360/PS3 to have sell a Wii U feature. I can't think of any other reason to get rid of the weapon wheel for this terrible system.

Welp.

Can't S-Rank the game because I got hit with the almanac glitch.

Good going, Ubisoft. I S-rank every Assassin's Creed game regardless of quality and you fuck me over on this one. Since it's been two weeks since release and there's been no patch yet, I am not holding out hope this will get fixed before I move on to something else.

conman

He does that because Achilles wanted him to. He is an assassin. Lee is a templar. Templars have to die.
That whole thing was silly. Up until
the reveal that those dudes are all Templars, nothing about them seemed "bad." If anything, they seemed like decent guys. They killed corrupt people. They saved some enslaved Native Americans. It was only after Haytham started talking about "order" and busted out the ring that they started acting like caricatured villains and douchebags. That whole twist was a bit of a "cheat" IMO, not to mention that it was spoiled for me by the stupid database glitch.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Good going, Ubisoft. I S-rank every Assassin's Creed game regardless of quality and you fuck me over on this one. Since it's been two weeks since release and there's been no patch yet, I am not holding out hope this will get fixed before I move on to something else.

There will be a patch though. The devs have been saying that a patch is coming to address many things (like the end-game hood).

rataven

There will be a patch though. The devs have been saying that a patch is coming to address many things (like the end-game hood).

Have they given us an idea when the patch is coming? I've really slowed my pace with this game in the hope they fix these issues before I get to them.

the reveal that those dudes are all Templars, nothing about them seemed "bad." If anything, they seemed like decent guys. They killed corrupt people. They saved some enslaved Native Americans. It was only after Haytham started talking about "order" and busted out the ring that they started acting like caricatured villains and douchebags. That whole twist was a bit of a "cheat" IMO, not to mention that it was spoiled for me by the stupid database glitch.
I thought they were portrayed mostly grey from Connor's perspective. When we were Haytham, all the Assassins looked like bad guys too. It's a matter of perspective. During their death speeches, most of the Templars meant well with what they were doing. We only get to focus on the bad things the other side was doing when we're playing as Haytham/Connor

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Are you being careful about not being too unarmed-attack happy and breaking the neck of someone already on the ground?

I got it by just using my fists (you're technically not killing anyone). Be careful not to disarm someone and kill them with the weapon you took. Didn't have any trouble with it.

I tried again today and got it but I did the same thing as I tried before. And Connor definitely broke some necks this time around.

It's kinda weird that even though I have criticized this game a fair amount and I've been disappointed it wasn't what I had hoped it would be, I have still put around 45 hours into it and got like 81% of the trophies.

SJRB

Gold Member

Templars are not "bad guys" per se, and Assassins are not "good guys". They are both equally grey and have both questionable morale at best, which could potentially lead to an interesting dynamic that AC3 SOMEWHAT touches, albeit extremely slight.

There is so much potential for this, it is most unfortunate that AC3 once again winds down to a cliche revenge story. The original AC did this the best by far, with every slain target explaining his deeds, his actions in a way that makes you think "wait a minute, this guy is right. Why did he have to die, exactly?". You, as a player start to question your own actions, which was great.

ACII and AC:B have Ezio do some questionable things, but AC: Revelations is the game that shows the player that the Assassins are equally "bad" as the Templars.
Ezio burns down that entire village in that cave, killing hundreds and leaving all survivors homeless. Why? To literally smoke out one Templar
. That's not justice, that is fucking insane. In fact, by the time Revelations was over Ezio got so many more or less innocent people killed because of his careless actions and arrogance it is just crazy that people still think of him as a good character. The guy is more evil than Skeletor.

Saw that news about the PC version from eurogamer. DX11 features? I was looking at the specs that are on steam...

Recommended:
OS: Windows Vista® (SP2) / Windows® 7 (SP1) / Windows® 8
Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9400 or 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom™ II X4 940
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: 1024 MB DirectX® 10 compliant with Shader Model 5.0 or higher (see supported list)*
DirectX®: 10
Hard Drive: 17 GB
Sound: DirectX compatible (Surround Sound 5.1 capable sound card recommended)
Multiplayer: 256 kbps or faster broadband connection
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended) *Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
AMD Radeon™ HD 4850 / 5000 / 6000 / 7000 series
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT / 9 / 200 / 400 / 500 / 600 series

Is this a mistake?

Astra

Glad to hear about the patch upcoming. I'll shelve it for now, and wait for it. I was greatly enjoying the game, sans the bugs, so hopefully it's not too long in coming.

Petrichor

He does that because Achilles wanted him to. He is an assassin. Lee is a templar. Templars have to die.

Conor was fine letting haytham live. In fact Conor was trying to orchestrate an alliance with the templars in the tail end of the game - his motivations are still nonsensical

conman

Templars are not "bad guys" per se, and Assassins are not "good guys". They are both equally grey and have both questionable morale at best, which could potentially lead to an interesting dynamic that AC3 SOMEWHAT touches, albeit extremely slight.
Not exactly. That was true in AC1, but in the AC2 trilogy, the Templars were quite clearly meant to seem "bad." Cesare Borgia was two horns and red-tinted eyes away from being an evil wizard stereotype. AC1 dealt much more in moral ambiguities, but the series since then has been pretty straight-forward in its moralizing. That's not a bad thing. Just true.

I think it's pretty clear from AC2 onward who the "bad guys" and the "good guys" are--even if the story occasionally throws a few ambiguities our way from time to time. But even those "ambiguous" moments usually resolve to very clear bad-good binaries like
Lucy
. And that same bad/good binary holds just as true in AC3. Which is why
the "twist" at the end of the intro section is kind of a cheat. Those characters do, in fact, switch from "good guys" to "bad guys" for no reason other than the fact that we now know they're Templars. And from then on out, they act like right bastards.
It's a very minor thing, considering how much else is wrong with AC3's story, but it's there.

Got to sequence 9. 16 hours played doing every homestead mission I can do.

Really enjoying the game other then the framerate being a bit shit in the cities. Game is a looker though. PC version should be a stunner if they don't mess it up.

FINALLY Conor gets some face time with his father. Hope I learn whats happened between them to make them so pissed off at each other. I guess they didnt have enough time to explain it in the 5 hours it took to set up Conor as a super boring idealist native american.

Conor was fine letting haytham live. In fact Conor was trying to orchestrate an alliance with the templars in the tail end of the game - his motivations are still nonsensical

Connor was considering trying to orchestrate an alliance, Achilles said it wouldn't work since they tried before, that the Templars won't be convinced. So Connor continues after the Templars. He runs into his father instead of Lee at the Fort and it's clear that neither one of them is convinced that they could be wrong. I don't know when Achilles death falls into the timeline, could be before he faces off with Haytham and Lee, or after. I did it before, and his letter pretty much felt like a guilt trip for Connor to finish the job. The templars are a threat to the "spirit" that made him start his jouney, his land and his people, they're a threat to the colonies if they have gain control, they're Achilles' enemies, the only real father he had. I think his motivation was fine, personally. If you feel otherwise, then okay I guess.

Epcott

I seem to have forgotten why exactly near the end
Haytham attacks Conor leading to his own death. Was it really because Conor wanted Lee dead and he couldn't sit idly by and let it happen? Or was there more to it? They seemed to be reconciling for a moment, then bam, Haytham goes into a rage.

Edit: Never mind, Crewnh pretty much answered it. I forgot that little expose Achilles gave about Templar / Assassin relations.

jett

D-Member
Why is this game so goddamn buggy? Every time I enter a new area I get hit with the same notification every single time: Weapon 1 acquired, Weapon 1 acquired, New Citizen Mission, and some other stupidity. What the fuck.

Noi

Why is this game so goddamn buggy? Every time I enter a new area I get hit with the same notification every single time: Weapon 1 acquired, Weapon 1 acquired, New Citizen Mission, and some other stupidity. What the fuck.

You finished the Trinket sidequests and got the
Shard of Eden
didn't you? It's bugged to always do that.

You finished the Trinket sidequests and got the
Shard of Eden
didn't you? It's bugged to always do that.

Nah I'm pretty sure it is if you get the twin holster. That's when it started doing it for me (dont have the
shard of eden

Noi

Nah I'm pretty sure it is if you get the twin holster. That's when it started doing it for me (dont have the
shard of eden

No, it's not the twin holster. Maybe that's bugged too, but I had that happen to me the moment I finished that quest, which was waaaaaay after I'd crafted the twin holster. Pretty much everyone on the internet has had it happen then.

jett

D-Member
No, it's not the twin holster. Maybe that's bugged too, but I had that happen to me the moment I finished that quest, which was waaaaaay after I'd crafted the twin holster. Pretty much everyone on the internet has had it happen then.

It's the pitcarin pistols that gives that message, only if you have them equipped. However, after you get that other, you get two additional messages every time an area loads. Retarded. How did this game pass QA at Ubisoft?

Hmm, but I never got that and it happens every time for me. And it makes since with the twin holster because it's probably adding a weapon every time you reload.
It's the pitcarin pistols that gives that message, only if you have them equipped. However, after you get that other, you get two additional messages every time an area loads. Retarded. How did this game pass QA at Ubisoft?

Ah that makes sense

And I've worked QA. Usually if its not a A or B level bug it wont even be fixed and a game this size probably had a shitton of A and B bugs. 'A' usually is hard/soft crashes, gameplay stopping bugs ect. Text (unless misspelled) is generally extremely low on lists
Are there any spoilers in it?

Yes. Spoiler: Yahtzee is the most obnoxious person ever.

Well, they can't add a patch that digs into my brain and un-spoils the big plot twist that their glitched animus database revealed. So, no.
I still can't believe they spoiled their own damn game. Unbelievable.

Maybe they figure that nobody reads the Animus entries as they become available, but I read each new one religiously.

Yahtzee pretty much nailed it with the review. AC III has no idea what it wants to be.

Totally. My favorite kind of Zero Punctuation: the kind where I agree with him wholeheartedly about the core problems with a game. I'm just bored. When do I get to stab someone? I don't give a flying shit about ANY of this other stuff.

They really messed up the dates in this game. During Sequence 5
It is 1770 but when you go on the naval mission it says 1773. There is no way it took 3 years to travel by ship to Martha's Vineyard. Then Sequence 6 starts in 1773 but Conner is noticeably older

exYle

It is 1770 but when you go on the naval mission it says 1773. There is no way it took 3 years to travel by ship to Martha's Vineyard. Then Sequence 6 starts in 1773 but Conner is noticeably older

The specific missions happen during the year they took place. So you could be faffing about in 1776 but if you go do a privateer mission, it will go back to 1773.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is randomly losing your arrows also a known bug? :p This game is something...

This has nothing to do with your tag nor the fact that AC3 is obviously a bugfest, but I've always noticed that you seem to have a problem with most games you play to the point where I always feel like you're frustrated. Is gaming stressful for you, jett?

jett

D-Member
This has nothing to do with your tag nor the fact that AC3 is obviously a bugfest, but I've always noticed that you seem to have a problem with most games you play to the point where I always feel like you're frustrated. Is gaming stressful for you, jett?

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm really enjoying AC3. The bugs just...bug me.

conman

That kind of stuff happens a lot in this game. The dev team's head doesn't often know what its hand is doing. Development was divided among a bunch of cloistered studios, and they don't seem to have communicated continuity very well from one segment to the next. So there are lots of weird things like this. Sometimes its a contradiction in time/date, and other times it's a contradiction in plot detail.

That could also be the root cause of many of the bugs/glitches. Too many different studios working on too many different things without enough oversight, direction, or focus. It hurts my brain trying to imagine someone coordinating so many people, studios, and moving parts. I just don't think it's humanly possible.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't know what you're talking about, I'm really enjoying AC3. The bugs just...bug me.

They bug me too =/

one time I was trying to climb a tree to gain synchro with an eagle viewpoint and connor just would not climb the tree. when I finally almost made it to the peak he like glitched through a branch and fell to his death.

jett

D-Member
They bug me too =/

one time I was trying to climb a tree to gain synchro with an eagle viewpoint and connor just would not climb the tree. when I finally almost made it to the peak he like glitched through a branch and fell to his death.

Something like that happened to me in New York. I had to stand on an exact millimeter on a roof for the "Synchronize" button to appear.

I understand the game is huge and all that but some of this crap really detracts from the experience, and makes me weary that I might run into a game breaking bug, or something that will seriously fuck my save up. Not really a nice to play a game that way. :p Definitely feels unfinished, none of the other AC games were released like this.

Effect

That kind of stuff happens a lot in this game. The dev team's head doesn't often know what its hand is doing. Development was divided among a bunch of cloistered studios, and they don't seem to have communicated continuity very well from one segment to the next. So there are lots of weird things like this. Sometimes its a contradiction in time/date, and other times it's a contradiction in plot detail.

That could also be the root cause of many of the bugs/glitches. Too many different studios working on too many different things without enough oversight, direction, or focus. It hurts my brain trying to imagine someone coordinating so many people, studios, and moving parts. I just don't think it's humanly possible.

I hope they are looking at how they made this game, the ending result, end up being honest with themselves and decide this is the last time they're doing this. Sure they're making a lot of money now. However I hope they're looking at the long term. People are going be or should be wary of the next game. So it's in their best interest not to pull this again.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Something like that happened to me in New York. I had to stand on an exact millimeter on a roof for the "Synchronize" button to appear.

I understand the game is huge and all that but some of this crap really detracts from the experience, and makes me weary that I might run into a game breaking bug, or something that will seriously fuck my save up. Not really a nice to play a game that way. :p Definitely feels unfinished, none of the other AC games were released like this.

well they had a lot of bugs as well, but yea, definitely not to this extent. I remember rev being the most glitchist out of the saga.

Top Bottom