• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows delayed to February 14, 2025

whyman

They can’t possibly fix the problems with the game until February. They have to rework story, change main char and props/buildings. I hope this is just the first delay.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, if it had six month exclusivity on Epic / Ubisoft launcher before coming to Steam... it was always going to come out for me in February anyway.

Mossybrew

Well thankfully I'll be focusing on Monster Hunter so I won't be tempted to buy this right away, definitely 'wait for sale' territory.

ElFenomeno

How utter shit the game must be for them to take it out of the holiday season? Incredible. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Wasn't this the AC game with the longest development time ever? What happened?
Let's see what another 5 months of polish can do.

By the time Assassin's Creed Shadows launches this November, the game would have been in development for four years. It's the longest development cycle for the series so far, and 25% longer than its acclaimed predecessor, 2020's Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Has there ever been this much of shit show from a game in the entire history of the video game industry?
first time GIF

RedC

Given the shitstorm with Japan and all the bad press and the underperformance of Ubis SW Outlaws, I'm not surprised...

Take this extra time and polish this game to a diamond Ubi, heed the criticisms and bring in ACTUAL Japanese experts and maybe get some bloody humility and admit you put you foot in your mouth when you tried to pass of Yuske (okay you flat out lied lol) and just be freaking humble for fucks sake!

Seriously more than anything I miss professionalism from the industry, remember we are your damn customers and our wallets can make or break you so show us it!
What Ubisoft flat out lie about?

simpatico

Nooooooooo. I mean, the upside is that it will still flop in February with a few dozen extra million burnt in the process, but I was really looking forward to laughing at it soon. I feel like Dragon Age is gonna be really lonely now with no one to hang out with in detention. Kinda rude to leave EA hanging like that.

But seriously, that’s not enough time to make any changes to the story and characters. All they can do is polish the combat. It’s their best hope. If the combat can blow away Sekiro everyone will forgive the retarded story beats.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Has there ever been this much of shit show from a game in the entire history of the video game industry?
There are games that have been in development hell for a decade, a few months delay is practically nothing. Certainly not "the biggest shitshow in the history of gaming."

Probably not even polishing. They just want to release it on Valentines day so the experience can feel extra gay when you're Yasuke is F***** dudes. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Gp1

As i said on the Star Wars topic, Ubi stocks are going into a wild ride next year.

Specially if this one fails in a busy month like February.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I have no idea what happened to the West in this regard.
It is all very amateur and lazy. Proper research for a multimillion dollar product? Nah fuck that, let me feel it out.

This is the stuff you see and expect in university/college. Not salary jobs in a professional industry.
I would not trust these people to make a car, a plane, handle electrical in my home or cook me a meal.
Maybe Work From Home is a responsibility not everyone can handle.
Some people need to be in a professional environment to act right.

Fess

Probably a good strategy.
But let’s see if they’ve truly listened and learned anything from the criticism or if they’re just doing polishing.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
HOLY
SHIT

Just thinking about this whole process makes my insides want to die.

(super future casting)
  • Ubi's 4th quarter is going to be a bloodbath (no AssCreed for this fiscal year)
  • Ubi has a disaster of a lunch in February (press X to doubt that any amount of time can fix this game)
  • Ubi reverts to a private entity
  • Ubi's now majority PRIVATE share owners sell to Sony (or some other company)
  • Sony owns Ubi...AND the streaming rights for Xbox software
  • Xbox has to appease the CMA agreement or let Sony control streaming
By no means do I think Ubi is in the dire financial straits that Bungie was in when they sold to Sony...but they are on a REAL dry streak for releases as of late.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
They were ready to release a complete hot mess but Star Wars Outlaws getting panned and selling poorly made them slam on the brakes

The other ignorant fuckups Im sure had something to do with it as well, like using the Torii Gate as some sort of Funko Pop accessory or collectible. The lack of awareness is astounding.

simpatico

If you look at the replies for this tweet, it sure is curious just how many people are composing their first ever tweet to reply to that. 🤔

You guys think… ah never mind.

Da1337Vinci

Damn they are almost at the edge with star wars outlaws underperforming. If this doesn't hit and their games in 2025 also underperform is really looking grim for ubi.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I think it's the later. I was kind of trying to be supportive of this game until they showed gameplay. Looks rough.
All gameplay published online is super curated. I've seen a live playthrough and combat was a mess, with a lot of animation just all over the place. Blamed on "old build" and that was a month ago. I think the game has great potential but needs tons of polish, so I said it will be a miracle if they hit release date and here we are.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
If anybody tells you that complaining won't change anything, show them this.

I don't expect them to change protagonists but hopefully some of the more egregious mistakes are fixed like the floating bullets, doors that lead to nowhere, swords not sheathing properly, writing backwards and hands clipping. Would love it if they fixed their seasonal and agricultural issues as well.

Last edited:

TheChumpNation

Neo Member
If the game needs polish, the game needs polish.

But delaying to a release date right in the middle of a bunch of other heavy hitters, all of which have far more "gamer trust/goodwill" (for lack of a better term) when you were originally releasing in a very light holiday season? And choosing to release specifically on Valentine's Day?

Odd decision all around, and I'm guessing that the delay has less to do with polish and more to do with Ubisoft wanting to let all the negative online chatter die down a bit.

Natsuko

Let's see. In general, I don't think it's wrong to postpone if necessary. But the game will have strong competition in February. A bold date. And that brings them even closer to the Ghost of Tsushima sequel. Well, of course that could still be postponed, who knows. That's courageous. GoT is pretty popular and Shadows had to take a lot of criticism. The closer they are to the sequel, the greater the chance that some people will say oh well, I might as well wait a few months for the new Ghost game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not disappointing at all. But I think they need more time than this. From what I've seen you're not gonna fix the animations, the inconsistencies in historical accuracy and the god-awful patronization specifically of black people in the game. This isn't Afro Samurai, why the hell is there hip hop music playing when you play as Yasuke?

StereoVsn

The question being - was it delayed due to controversy (I don’t think Ubi cares about what Japanese people think) or because the game is a mess?
I would think it’s the latter. Don’t think Ubi cares much about Japanese market.

Their animations looked quite rough in gameplay reveals.

YuLY

Ubisoft is SPOOKED, they had a call with investors and said they are an entertainment-first company and are not interested to push any agenda. They also put AC Shadows day 1 on steam now. I get a feeling this is a make or break game for Ubisoft lol.

Too bad for them then, that they gonna be releasing around Monster Hunter Wilds, Avowed and Kingdom Come 2, morgan-freeman-goodluck.jpg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The games was going to be released in two months.. with schedule appearances in TGS and with peviews starting... and now has been delayed for at least more 3 months... I really dont think this is just for optimization and bug fixing ...

Less than two months really. November 15.

Wild

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If the game needs polish, the game needs polish.

But delaying to a release date right in the middle of a bunch of other heavy hitters, all of which have far more "gamer trust/goodwill" (for lack of a better term) when you were originally releasing in a very light holiday season? And choosing to release specifically on Valentine's Day?

Odd decision all around, and I'm guessing that the delay has less to do with polish and more to do with Ubisoft wanting to let all the negative online chatter die down a bit.
I bet they do alright. Deadpool had a blowout Valentine's Day release date. And that's got a red cover, and AC Shadows box is red, and Valentine's Day is red.

Top Bottom