• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows delayed to February 14, 2025

Dr.Morris79

Well that's shit. I was looking forward to a funny November full of japes and wheezes

62YmnoI.gif

Kumomeme

i doubt delaying would change anything. there is stuff cant be fixed by time only.

isnt black history month is at february? if they think this would shield them from critism then cant wait to see they are wrong. thing might gonna get worse due to this. i doubt other country outside of america especially japan and the rest of asia care either.

Last edited:

Stu_Hart

They will still be using the same characters, so it's clear that they don't care about the controversy of that 1 character. I am more than certain it's the architectural inaccuracies is what holding it back. They have quite a lot to change since the game is quite big and they discover more of it.

Kacho

They will still be using the same characters, so it's clear that they don't care about the controversy of that 1 character. I am more than certain it's the architectural inaccuracies is what holding it back. They have quite a lot to change since the game is quite big and they discover more of it.
Yep that and additional polish are the most important things IMO.

Wonder if they take out the hip hop battle music?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It's weird to me that they weren't willing to just rush this out like they have in the past. Fans of the Ass Creed series just got use to it performing like hot jank at launch. I don't think they care that much

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
This delay is entirely about not spooking investors, and absolutely nothing to do with improving the game.

I disagree.

Because it cost them money to do this, its more then likely they are continue development to correct things as that would support not spooking investors lol I'm sure they can improve things, by how much in that time frame, remains to be seen, but I didn't see much wrong with it in terms of any massive issues.

It's weird to me that they weren't willing to just rush this out like they have in the past. Fans of the Ass Creed series just got use to it performing like hot jank at launch. I don't think they care that much
I think this is because they're in this make or break position. If AC fails, I don't think any of their franchises can keep them afloat.

yazenov

They are just delaying the inevitable, and there is not enough time to fix the core issues.

They should have hired native Japanese staff and experts to create this game from the foundation until completion. It's too late, instead of hiring activist / DEI consultants and fake Japanese consultant experts who don't even live in Japan.

3 months is not nearly enough time. They're wasting 3 months worth of overheads and salaries, along with huge marketing money spent down the drains. This will inflate the budget, and they are losing vital holiday window sales.

The only smart thing they plan to do is to release their game on Steam on day one. Regardless, this game's sales will pale in comparison to Valhalla without a doubt. They will be lucky to sell half those amounts on deep deep sales.

The positive side is that we can monitor the interest of the game (or lack of it) on Steam now. Its going to be fun dancing on this game's grave (and Ubisoft).

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I disagree.

Because it cost them money to do this, its more then likely they are continue development to correct things as that would support not spooking investors lol I'm sure they can improve things, by how much in that time frame, remains to be seen, but I didn't see much wrong with it in terms of any massive issues.

Ok, but don't be surprised when the game releases looking and playing very similar to what it does now.

PeteBull

I'm sure the incredible development team is going to use these 3 months to their fullest and completely improve every fuck-up they did in the past 7 years of development on the game

QyMjRfU.jpeg
👌
With this kind of bunch u can tell 0 crunch time and overall close to 100% leisure work culture, no wonder game is in pitiful state and requires big delay, likely in february it wont be ready either.
All those woke corpos forgot brownie points wont make their products good xD
Now placing big dick yosuke in japanese setting makes even more sense, many chocolate lovers on the pic ;)

Oh, and with big delay it means AC:Shadows gonna need to sell even more copies to break even, game budget just got bigger after all so even more preasure inc :p

Cyberpunkd

With this kind of bunch u can tell 0 crunch time and overall close to 100% leisure work culture, no wonder game is in pitiful state and requires big delay, likely in february it wont be ready either.
Now placing big dick yosuke in japanese setting makes even more sense, many chocolate lovers on the pic ;)
Wow, crunch apologist and misogynist all in one post. Double idiot points for you.

PeteBull

Wow, crunch apologist and misogynist all in one post. Double idiot points for you.
Game development is super competetive business, no place for woke agenda/policies there or u end up getting outcompeted by companies who run based on merit, thats why all the trash woke games bomb so hard almost in every case nowadays :)
Ubisoft's share price took skydive last few years for a reason, reason being their products became more and more woke, aka shit :)

ZehDon

Virtually everything else they've released has failed to meet their projections. Skull & Bones, Prince of Persia, Avatar; all they have left is Ass Creed Shadows to carry them and it's already pissed off the customers in the country its based on. I imagine they need this one to land extremely well or investors will be demanding heads on platters.

yazenov

Oh, and with big delay it means AC:Shadows gonna need to sell even more copies to break even, game budget just got bigger after all so even more preasure inc :p
That's a lot of soy drinkers right there :p

Esppiral

I think the main reason it got delayed is because SWO bombed and they want to push it for Holliday's and not overlap with a new release that will fade the momentum

MMaRsu

You dont see how the faces are all garbled?

Nice getting triggered by an AI trash picture

Cmon man get smart

Ozzie666

Do they really think the negativity with the game is going to disappear with a 3 months delay? I really wonder if they have changes planned or improvements. Are they going to make a special version for Japan and one for the rest of the world? I have no idea anymore what these guys are doing.

All I know is we need more good Rayman in our lives.

MMaRsu

Lies No GIF

I know it's coming to Steam day one now, but no preorder early access? That would be crazy. Welcome, but crazy to see.

Thats what they stated in their PR

"We are departing from the traditional Season Pass model. All players will be able to enjoy the game at the same time on February 14 and those who preorder the game will be granted the first expansion for free."

Trunim

If ubisoft delays a game instead of just releasing it and perhaps patch it up later, that shit must've been real bad.

mhirano

Ubisoft needs to be downsized by at least half.

Assassins Creed & Far Cry should be shelved for at least 5 years.

Release a new focused Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon only. Aim for quality and not quantity.
More focus on the brilliant small teams they have. Give us more Pricne Of Persia, Rabbids, FarCry Primal/Blood Dragon; AA stuff the has less flash and more heart

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This delay is entirely about not spooking investors, and absolutely nothing to do with improving the game.
I think the fact that they cancelled the preview event speaks to them not wanting to demo the game in a buggy state like star wars outlaws which previewed extremely poorly, and went from being highly anticipated to a classic ubisoft disaster in the making.

The game itself isnt that unpolished compared to say Unity, but those previews definitely hurt the game. By giving the team an extra 3 months to polish up the game, they also give the marketing team time to provide a more polished beta for the preview events.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can someone explain to me what delaying this game can actually do for it?

The DEI damage has already been done and this is a perfect example of the damage of forced DEI into games.

This video is a perfect example of how DEI has done far more harm than good in the representation world.

DEI has literally created the OPPOSITE of the world it has claimed to create.

Last edited:

Tams

I disagree.

Then why was there such a massive media push for it? You don't do that, at such expense and taking pre-orders with a specified release date, only to cancel it's first showing at an industry event and delay the release.

It seems pretty clear to me that the reaction to the media push, especially as perceived by the executives, is why it has been delayed.

Then why was there such a massive media push for it? You don't do that, at such expense and taking pre-orders with a specified release date, only to cancel it's first showing at an industry event and delay the release.
Did everyone just forget the AC Unity launch disaster?
It had a similar massive media push, including taking a full year to build the most accurate version of the notre dam etc.
And then it launched in an incredibly shitty state, so bad that they gave every buyer free dlc, and if you bought the season pass you got a entire other game for free, and in return you weren't allowed to sue them or join in a class action.

Kurotri

I have obviously no idea if any of this has any truth, but damn it was entertaining to listen to. It's the most batshit insane video that has come out of the whole Ubisoft debacle and it probably deserves its own thread. There's tons of stuff here that could easily be made up but sound so ridicolous that they could be true as well. I'm flabbergasted. There's some classic shit in there like:
  • AC Shadows originally having a Japanese male samurai which was replaced by Yasuke due to George Floyd
  • Star Wars Outlaws devs thinking their game was as good as Red Dead Redemption 2
  • AC Hexe being a full on lesbian simulator full of fantastical elements
  • Skull and Bones being the major reason why they are tanking the way they are
  • Push to have diversity and female leads everywhere, no white men allowed, not just within Ubisoft but throughout the whole industry
  • Kay Vess looks the way she does because they wanted some weird ethnicity-mix where she looks neither fully white, latino or indian so that many women could feel represented
  • Future DEI tactics include deceptive marketing where they do not show DEI stuff during promotion but sneakily put them in the actual game
And so much more!

If you are bored as all hell and have some minutes to spare give it a watch, I had a great time.

Top Bottom