• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

The cinematic ending to Lucha Underground is so sweet! It sets up everything for the next season (PLEASE!) and shows all the hanging and new story bits. Each wrestler even has an in-character vehicle. Fenix in a Trans Am, Angelico on a motocross bike, and Drago and Aerostar fly away in a ball of flames and shower of sparks. It's the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjhOGx7zeoE

RP912

Banned
Since Lucha Underground is hardcore kayfabe....how long will it take for the WWE to really make movies? I enjoy the fact that LU is wrestling mixed with a afternoon school show. If this is what it'll take to bring wrestling back into the limelight...I'm all aboard the train.

Since Lucha Underground is hardcore kayfabe....how long will it take for the WWE to really make movies? I enjoy the fact that LU is wrestling mixed with a afternoon school show. If this is what it'll take to bring wrestling back into the limelight...I'm all aboard the train.

WWE MASTERS

Hah, marked the fuck out. UK folk will know who this is;

21eoUfs.jpg

Skeletor also followed me. Today's been a good day.

On a scale of 1 to Milton Keynes, how bad are Grimsby and Kings Lynn

Milton Keynes is a depressing shit hole but, somehow, Grimsby has it beat in the depressing shit hole stakes. Kings Lynn is actually quite nice, but still a bizarre as fuck choice. It's like they specifically chose places that weren't anywhere near the wrestling hotspots in the country.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Table for 3 was obviously rushed out the door due to Piper's death, but it's a good 22 minutes of the closest thing to a Legends of Wrestling Roundtable we're gonna get. I enjoyed it a lot, Orndorff is absolutely magnificent in it even though he's aging pretty heavily.

It's basically a sit-down dinner with 3 people. This one is Okerlund, Piper, and Orndorff. Good tales are told about one rib that had Orndorff so fucking mad he was going to shoot someone if he had a gun. I liked it, and I'm glad Vince is pushing some original programming for us "older" folks.

Zach

Table for 3 was obviously rushed out the door due to Piper's death, but it's a good 22 minutes of the closest thing to a Legends of Wrestling Roundtable we're gonna get. I enjoyed it a lot, Orndorff is absolutely magnificent in it even though he's aging pretty heavily.

It's basically a sit-down dinner with 3 people. This one is Okerlund, Piper, and Orndorff. Good tales are told about one rib that had Orndorff so fucking mad he was going to shoot someone if he had a gun. I liked it, and I'm glad Vince is pushing some original programming for us "older" folks.

Will watch.

klonere

Banned
Milton Keynes is a depressing shit hole but, somehow, Grimsby has it beat in the depressing shit hole stakes. Kings Lynn is actually quite nice, but still a bizarre as fuck choice. It's like they specifically chose places that weren't anywhere near the wrestling hotspots in the country.

Worse than MK? Jesus, having been there a few times I find it hard to believe there is an even worse urban hellhole.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This G1 more than any other has shown me just how same-y Okada is. Even Tanahashi can work multiple styles and make them entertaining as seen with Yano, Ibushi, and Nakamura. Every Okada match feels the same as the last with a slightly different lead up into a rainmaker.

And don't get me started on his complete lack of character

Sephzilla

I really really hope Lucha Underground gets some kind of BluRay or Netflix release. I haven't watched it but all of the positive stuff I hear is making me want to see it so badly.

Xenoverse is also on sale for PC. I loved it, great game.

If I had to actually sit down and think about my Fav Five Games of 2015, Xenoverse might be in there

This G1 more than any other has shown me just how same-y Okada is. Even Tanahashi can work multiple styles and make them entertaining as seen with Yano, Ibushi, and Nakamura. Every Okada match feels the same as the last with a slightly different lead up into a rainmaker.

I was actually quite impressed that today's match felt like neither a typical Okada match or a typical Ishii match. Yeah, a guy like Naito's much better at laying out matches, but bear in mind that when Mutoh called Naito a "genius of pro-wrestling", Naito was three years older than Okada currently is - there's time for him to grow into the role. Also, when Tanahashi was receiving his big push a decade ago, he wasn't half the wrestler he is today.

And don't get me started on his complete lack of character

So what you're saying is that he's ready to be picked up by the WWE

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was actually quite impressed that today's match felt like neither a typical Okada match or a typical Ishii match. Yeah, a guy like Naito's much better at laying out matches, but bear in mind that when Mutoh called Naito a "genius of pro-wrestling", Naito was three years older than Okada currently is - there's time for him to grow into the role. Also, when Tanahashi was receiving his big push a decade ago, he wasn't half the wrestler he is today.
That's kind of my greater point though. Okada could be great because he's a quick learner, but imagine if he reaches his peak and people are sick of him even if he got better and better? His character hasn't changed at all since his debut other than it feels like he's even less of one if you want to count absence as a change. Tanahashi's first half of his career isn't something they should try and emulate. The situation with Tanahashi was that they straight up didn't have the roster and they had to push Tanahashi against all odds and just accept that some people didn't like him. They have arguably the best main event roster going right now of any promotion, so they can change it up constantly, but it always feels like there's two tiers and only Tanahashi and Okada are allowed to be in the top tier and even Tanahashi feels like he's trying to inch slightly away from it. Nakamura would be in it too, but it always seems like it's by his own doing, that they can't ignore how much the fans are behind him even though it seems clear they don't want him to be THE guy by how long they've kept him from the main title.

Okada's redemption storyline was half-baked and felt rushed. How do you compare that to Honma's losing streak or Shibata winning over all the fans in G1 storylines? Those are similar concepts, so they make Okada's face reign always seem so corny and like no one should take his redemption seriously. It's like the guy who was given everything asking for your help, kayfabe-wise.

Ultratech

cool!

My knowledge of the DBZ movies are very limited.

I do own this on VHZ though!

518X6N1E8RL.jpg

Dead Zone was good stuff. Very reminiscent of the stuff in Dragon Ball.

Not very long, but pretty enjoyable when I started binge watching DBZ movies a few months ago.

That's kind of my greater point though. Okada could be great because he's a quick learner, but imagine if he reaches his peak and people are sick of him even if he got better and better? His character hasn't changed at all since his debut other than it feels like he's even less of one if you want to count absence as a change.

The crowd haven't show any signs of tiring of him yet, so I think this is a bit premature - obviously it's going to be tough keeping him as a top guy for the foreseeable future while he's still growing into the role of "ace", or whatever you want to call it, but I don't think they've slipped up yet. Certainly not like they had slipped up with Naito. Incidentally, listen to Okada's post-match promos. His whole brimming-with-arrogance attitude is over as fuck, even though he's still clearly propped up by Gedo in the promo department.

They have arguably the best main event roster going right now of any promotion, so they can change it up constantly, but it always feels like there's two tiers and only Tanahashi and Okada are allowed to be in the top tier and even Tanahashi feels like he's trying to inch slightly away from it. Nakamura would be in it too, but it always seems like it's by his own doing, that they can't ignore how much the fans are behind him even though it seems clear they don't want him to be THE guy by how long they've kept him from the main title.

I won't deny the tier thing, but I'll just add this: the fact that the heavyweight title has been dominated by Tanahashi, Okada & Styles over the last four years will only make it all the more memorable when the likes of Shibata, Ibushi or Naito do finally win the belt.

It's like the guy who was given everything asking for your help, kayfabe-wise.

Except, kayfabe-wise, he wasn't "given everything", was he? It's only in reality where the idea that Okada's been "given everything" at the expense of others has a place. Yes, Okada's redemption storyline could have and, probably, should have gone on a bit longer, but the outcome was always going to be the same: either Okada or Tanahashi defeat Styles for the belt before WK, then face off for the belt at WK. Okada wins, has a passing of the torch moment with Tanahashi and becomes the new "ace". And, as far as I'm concerned, that HAS to happen before they think about putting the belt on another guy. Unless they're saving it for WK11 or beyond, which would be pushing it I think.

New japan seems to be setting up for the future and rehabing guys. So it's not the tanas/okada/styles for force

Naito has a new lease on life with his new gimmick.

Goto has the IC belt and has here an both nakamura and Okada. He is no longer the bride's made.

Ibushi has been on a tear this year. 2016 will be a big year for,him.

Shibata is kind of the odd man out but he seems to be poised to get the belt anytime.

Plus you got Elgin and hopefully Adam Cole

Top Bottom