• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Started RAGE on a 2 year old arcade 360 with HDMI out, no installing. MY EYES! THEY BURN! Ah, once you get out of the first area it becomes less offence. Still laughable compared to the PC. Texture loading on the terminal that gives you the goss at the start is insanely horrible. Carmack must have cried himself to sleep when he saw the result. Other than that it plays okay. Aiming feels off, movement is a bit too fast for the controller but the bindings are great. Majority of textures look a lot worse up close than even the PC version, like launch title 360 sometimes. Thankfully at a distance everything looks okay and the design is still impressive. Like playing concept art indeed.

Their last album This Is This has Stanier on drums as well. Henry Rollins recorded a bit for the new album which is a nice reunion considering he produced Ill at Ease.
Yeah I was mainly impressed that he is going to stick with the band after such a long time between releases, especially with everything else he has his hand in.

It also turns out that image-heavy PDFs don't play well with the .mobi format.
Wouldn't read comics on a Kindle. Doesn't play nice with the eInk.

But damn, I'd really like to see the difference b/w a Q9550 Core2Quad and an i5-2500K. Really would.
Don't get too excited. Won't be too noticeable, just means you won't come across any of those odd moments of lag or crashes that you may have in the past. Depends on what kind of processes and applications you are going to be running. For music production there will indeed be a nice little lift in performance to make things less frustrating.

markot

Banned
I just thought of a great new Kinect game!

Face the Music!

Its a music game, and it uses your face in some way with kinect.

Thats all I got so far!

Bet this is what Miyamoto felt like when he came up with Mario!

Ydahs

All the suggestions:

VVVVV
Super Meat Boy
Braid
Limbo
Gish
Megaman 9
Magic Man 2
N+
And Yet It Moves
Cave Story
Trine
Where Is My Heart
Knytt
Knytt Stories
Saira
Within a Deep Forest
Giana Sisters
Commander Keen

Thanks guys. Don't know how many of these fall into the category of 'simple platformer', but I'll be sure to check some of them out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know whether there's a game sharing thing happening, but I have a copy of Rayman Origins I'd be willing to lend to someone in exchange for Saints Row 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't know whether there's a game sharing thing happening, but I have a copy of Rayman Origins I'd be willing to lend to someone in exchange for Saints Row 3.

So, Rez, how many requests for Moshi Monsters DS do you receive per day? :p

Question for AusGAF: My iPod's headphone port is fucked so I need a new media player. It's quite old, colour screen and all that, but none of the fancy touch capabilities or sleek design I guess. In other words I don't really care about fancy non-music related features or Apple status. I just want a good media player that holds all my music and isn't a chore to use.

Best options?

Shaneus

Question for AusGAF: My iPod's headphone port is fucked so I need a new media player. It's quite old, colour screen and all that, but none of the fancy touch capabilities or sleek design I guess. In other words I don't really care about fancy non-music related features or Apple status. I just want a good media player that holds all my music and isn't a chore to use.

Best options?
You don't necessarily need a new player. Get yourself a Fiio E1, which is a headphone amp that gets the line-out audio from the base and pulls power from that port as well to power it as well. It has controls on there for playback, volume and next/prev track.

It's dirt cheap and will actually make it sound *better* than before. Just check it's compatible first. And it's only around $20 or so.

Oh Shady, looks like no-one's mentioned Ghosts 'n' Goblins yet. So there's that one, too.

Minecraft on Android is 10c today!

I just thought of a great new Kinect game!

Face the Music!

Its a music game, and it uses your face in some way with kinect.

Thats all I got so far!

Bet this is what Miyamoto felt like when he came up with Mario!
Sounds a bit like Start The Party meets Singstar Dance. The gf et al loved them but I'm not into the get up and give a shit games on the Move, aside from Sports Champion. I play games after work, when I am already exhausted. Even Skyward Sword sounds like too much effort right now.

Best options?
Use your smartphone? Since getting my Galaxy S2 I have just dumped a bunch of music on there and used Winamp. The standard Samsung headphones were actually really great quality before they got damaged to/from work. Much easier than carrying around an iPod and drag and drop is my kind of file system.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

Best options?

Ha. The amount of time JB Hifi employees across Victoria must have spent looking for that thing is hilarious.

Omikron

Xbox Support on Twitter, useful in that they 'respond', but check this out.

xboxlivesupport01.png

xboxlivesupport02.png

Err, ok. Thanks?

Omikron

Not to be an ass, but seems like you spent more time complaining about it then it takes to delete it ><

Well, yeah.

But that isn't really the point is it? I actually *do* have an xbox.com account it seems, which has been transfered over from Games for Windows (logged in this morning) and checked my contact settings, all the boxes for email from MS are unticked.

Choc

Banned
GFW and Xbox Live are one and the same, sorry to say

but you shouldnt have got the email if you ticked everything off.

Fuck. Just called EBGames to price match Harvey Normans Xbox 4Gb for $158 deal and they told me that today they have a special deal for the 250Gb + Kinect bundle for $298 after the $50 cashback.

Edit: Starting tomorrow to be eligible for the cash back.

Omikron

GFW and Xbox Live are one and the same, sorry to say

but you shouldnt have got the email if you ticked everything off.

It is interesting that I would receive an email about the xbox live update, but nothing re my account conversion.

So it goes.

GTA3 IOS $4.99

wow

gta3_appleios0001.jpg

Game of the Forever. 5/5

Man those Mafia Sentinels were so awesome!

i kinda want to make a thread about how awesome GTA3 was. The persistent changes put a lot of games today to shame. Love the fact that if you step foot in Mafia territory by the end of the game they hand your arse to you, really made it feel like you actually had an impact on the game world.

jambo

Am i alone in thinking that GTA 2 was best GTA?

GTA 2 was brilliant, I loved the gang system and the police chases were amazing fun. The physics were so bouncy and whacky.

I really wish they'd use the gang system in a modern GTA.

"NO DONATION, NO SALVATION!"

The GTA3 trilogy was stunning in its scope and what they were trying to accomplish. All 3 were rough around the edges but you forgave them as they just tried so damn hard and put so much value into the games. Hours upon hours of content and awesome fun.

I didn't see this posted anywhere.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/business-it/studio-moves-south-for-next-stage-of-game-20111206-1ogxe.html

The Queensland Government has somehow allowed for Brisbane to lose almost the entirety of an industry. Five years ago Brisbane was the Australian gaming industry and now there's what? Creative Assembly left? Not that an LNP government would have done anything different mind you, but you'd think someone would have thought helping a whole industry stay in town would be a good idea

EDIT: Vice City and IV for me. San Andreas got ridiculous. There was a lot of shit to do but most of it was bollocks. And I didn't give a shit about eating or going to the gym.

jambo

For the sheer scope, San Andreas has my vote.

Yeah, if I had to pick a favourite I'd go with San Andreas.

I put a tonne of hours in to all of them, but I just loved cruising along the freeways in the country side in SA, maybe have a cop chase across a few counties, then hop in a plane and fly to another city, parachute out and rain down some mayhem from above.

I found that after I played some SA, if I went back to GTA III or VC especially, I would get from one side of the map to the other and be like "oh... that's it?"

Can't wait for GTA V!

GTA4 was the biggest disappointment of the generation for me after Alan Wake.

FF13 doesn't count as I never it was going to be meh years before it released.

GTA IV MP was the most fun I've had online this generation.

I'm talking SP keep in mind.

If I ever talk about a game just pretend that I don't have internet access, as I never touch the MP of a game. I enjoy the gameplay of a game but I mainly play for the fresh experience, story and satisfaction of completing a task (or leveling up something in an RPG). Online games just eat up too much time for me and the open ended nature of the reward doesn't satisfy me as much as SP games.

jambo

I'm talking SP keep in mind.

If I ever talk about a game just pretend that I don't have internet access, as I never touch the MP of a game. I enjoy the gameplay of a game but I mainly play for the fresh experience, story and satisfaction of completing a task (or leveling up something in an RPG). Online games just eat up too much time for me and the open ended nature of the reward doesn't satisfy me as much as SP games.

I loved the SP as well, I'm just a sucker for a well built open world. I can play games like GTA IV and Just Cause 2 for hours on end.

I can definitely understand how some people would get bored or frustrated with GTA IV, a lot of it is the same shit over and over and the story is just bollocks.

"Oh I want to change," *kills 200 men* "I want to get away from the old life" *murders 30 cops*

And on the MP side of things, the vast majority of my time in GTA IV MP was spent in Mumble or Vent with mates, just making up bullshit to do in the game.

"I reckon I can get my car up there."

"Bullshit you can!"

5 hours later...

I found the GTA4 world to be boring and sterile, but looked incredible (even if you couldn't go inside many buildings) and had several spine-tingling moments driving such as driving over a bridge looking into the sunrise. Some great moments but overall the story was a mess and the world just didn't have enough going on to keep me interested. Lack of options really irritated me, I want to be able to buy some damn clothes and buy up some businesses. If it is good enough for Ezio Auditore de Firenze then it is good enough for me!

I think I had a similar issue with Just Cause 2 and Oblivion, although Oblivion had enough diversions to keep me going for 100 hours even if it wasn't the most stimulating stuff.

Agyar

Any word on whether games will actually be discounted during JB Hifi's thing tonight? Promos only say "awesome prices". Looking at you, Rez/EatChildren.

Choc

Banned
the lead up to the bit where you have to make a decision as to whether to kill someone or not in IV was nice

after that it went to shit, the entire story went to shit.

They could have done so much more with that decision but instead they played it safe

they of all people dont have ot play it safe for fuck sake

Top Bottom