• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Does the SNES use just a standard coax tv cable thing or is it some special Nintendo cable?
The console end is proprietary but the TV end is coaxial or RCA, depending on which you use. I seem to recall the N64 cables being the same at the console end, but it's been a long time.

Fogz

Nah I was just looking at getting one for my sister but the console I was looking at didn't come with a TV cable and didn't want to have to track down one of them as well.

I couldn't remember what type of cable it used way back when I used to have a SNES

giri

They won't ship any touch or any fire, ad enabled or not. The product description says "US only" on them. You'd have to use a third party shipping company to do it.

Yeah, but is there a good reason why?

seems stupid to restrict it like that.

Fredescu

Couldn't be as regional as that. You can't even buy them off Amazon UK.

I was thinking it could be manufacturing issues. They can't produce the volume required to deal with international demand yet.

Yeah, but is there a good reason why?

seems stupid to restrict it like that.

Ad versions are subsidised by US companies trying to sell products in the US. Likely they don't want their money going to waste on Aussie tech-heads who have never so much as seen a Wall Mart in person, let alone set foot in one.

giri

Ad versions are subsidised by US companies trying to sell products in the US. Likely they don't want their money going to waste on Aussie tech-heads who have never so much as seen a Wall Mart in person, let alone set foot in one.

I expect the ability to advertise is legally region-restricted in some capacity.

Oh, i get the adversion, that made sense. for the above stated.

Restricting the version... the only OTHER thing i could come up with is... yeah, demand.

I've got people in the US that will take delivery and on forward, just a pain.

Stackboy

Sup Ausgaf, been away on a weeks beach holiday. Took me yesterday and today to catch up with what's going on (that's right, I read a weeks worth of posts).

Played a bit of Halo: Anniversary MP last night, the 6 redone maps and all. I know the BF3's and MW3's are taking all the players at the moment, but the main Halo:Reach Team Slayer playlist only had 1300 players in it. Most of playlists for Halo: Anniversary had nothing over 300 players. I found this pretty shocking.

Fredescu

This is the best rage comic I've seen in ages.

geY7t.jpg

Hey I don't know if you guys have noticed but your whole system for renting apartments is just awful and soul-destroying and really monstrously unfair. Probably a bit corrupt too.

Anyway we've FINALLY been accepted for a place (in St Kilda; not my choice) and are moving in next week. I need to sort out internet, contents insurance and the other utilities. Should I just go with these Direct Connect guys the rental agents put me on to? They get you quotes for everything from their "partners": Optus, AGL etc. Or should I shop around?

Who do you guys use for your internet needs? All the broadband packages I've seen seem to be fairly similar. I don't hate the guy that's in the iinet ads, and the big dog that eats the sim card is cute, but would that be a reason to go with them?

On reflection, it almost certainly wouldn't.

Hey I don't know if you guys have noticed but your whole system for renting apartments is just awful and soul-destroying and really monstrously unfair. Probably a bit corrupt too.
That's what you get when landlords have way too much power, house prices are way too high and competition for rental properties is higher than it's ever been.

giri

Anyway we've FINALLY been accepted for a place (in St Kilda; not my choice) and are moving in next week. I need to sort out internet, contents insurance and the other utilities. Should I just go with these Direct Connect guys the rental agents put me on to? They get you quotes for everything from their "partners": Optus, AGL etc. Or should I shop around?

Who do you guys use for your internet needs? All the broadband packages I've seen seem to be fairly similar. I don't hate the guy that's in the iinet ads, and the big dog that eats the sim card is cute, but would that be a reason to go with them?

Internet: iinet.net.au
Insurance: my bank was best premium (commonwealth bank). But just about every major insurer in AU will do contents policies. (Suncorp, Allianz, QBE, Lumley, Zurich)

midonnay

vividwireless....but I was with TPG for about 6 years. As long as you know what you're doing (setting up router settings, troubleshooting etc), its definitely the best bang for buck.

ps: awww yeah, broke ma streetpass cherry :D

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've never had a problem with TPG really, I'm on the unlimited as well.

I don't think I could go back to having a download cap.

Salazar

anonymous@mmm1415.rapidsite.net to s4029872
show details 4:49 PM (0 minutes ago)
Post notification,

Your parcel has arrived at the post office on December 2.
Our Driver was unable to deliver the parcel to your address.
Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office.

Thank you,
FedEx Global.

It is safe to presume, is it not, that someone wants me to download something malicious in the attached zip file ?

Fredescu

I would hazard a guess that that isn't from FedEX.

My wife got an sms telling her she'd won $500k and to email pepsi@sify.com for instructions. Poor old Pepsi can't even afford a proper domain.

guidop

Where have you come from?

Welcome! St. Kilda is a pretty good suburb can be pretty dicey at night though but Carlisle Street is quite nice and everything you need is within walking distance, train to the city is pretty quick and the 86 tram can be at times too.

I recommend internode best service and reliability around. iiNet is pretty good too I know someone with their bob package thing they live in East St Kilda and say it is quite good. For your other utilities it is probably best to shop around CommBank is probably the most common bank around in Melbourne most atms and most outlets, if you just want basic banking then probably which ever is closer to your place is the best bet. Though it is important to remember everytime you withdraw money from a atm or pay for something with eftpos that isn't your bank you are robbed $2, it adds up quick if your not aware.

Any other ouestion feel free to ask someone should be able to answer it for you.

Ydahs

Anyone have suggestions for fun but simple 2D platformers that I can easily buy? I need some inspiration for my 2D sidescroller (aiming for simplicity).

Deeku

Oh god the mac version of Super Meat Boy came out and I didn't even know! I can finally play it after paying for it a year ago lol.

Ydahs

Eh, was thinking a bit more classic platformers which many of these share ideas from, but these will do! Been meaning to buy a few of these anyway.

Kritz

Banned
Eh, was thinking a bit more classic platformers which many of these share ideas from, but these will do! Been meaning to buy a few of these anyway.

VVVVVV is as classic as it gets!

Just do what I did, and say you're making a cheetmen 2 clone.

Jintor

I've never had a problem with TPG really, I'm on the unlimited as well.

I don't think I could go back to having a download cap.

I haven't since about a half year ago when I set up the modem. Now I've forgotten the password and can't get back into it. I could do a hard reboot and factory reset it but TPG TV has some weird settings I have no idea how to work. So basically I just sit here hoping nothing goes wrong.

So I tweeted about the JB HiFi $169 Xbox 360 4Gb console. And then Harvey Norman come out with $158. Which is great as it means I can get my EB to price match! New 360 for only $140! Woo! Anyone want my 360 for $50? Will come with a 20Gb HDD once I transfer over all the content to the new one. Has a HDMI port.

Also received my $20 360 copy of NBA2K11 today from GAME. Woo!

Also received Gaz's copy of RAGE for the 360! Will give it a run tonight and see how it plays without installing to the HDD after the joy of the PC version ;)

Worth keeping in mind. EA dodgy practices re Origin / Forum bans continuing etc. :)
Has been no change since the messy Dragon Age 2 related bans back in March. Bunch of fuckwits.

Sup, greasy shut-ins?
Wouldn't mind seeing your avatar all sup. Not a fan of grease though. I also like women who talk so no dice on the shut-in part.

You heard about what they did to Theme Park on iOS, right? What about Tetris? EA are fucking horrid and I want them to go to hell. Fuck em.
Just the continuing lol of how moronic they have been towards the consumer after the brief oasis that was Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and taking that dickhat Tim Langdell to court.

Any chance rps will refuse future EA advertising on their site?
Depends on their agreement with Eurogamer, I recall them asking them to stopping running some annoying pop up ads about 6 months ago. In any case they have been chummy for years since most the writers have written lots and lots of stuff for them.

All that really matters is that the Foo played Stacked Actors and Everlong ^_^!
Love Everlong. Perfect pop anthem. Dave Grohl put on some Beatles/Beach Boys and just said fuck the haters, I'm going to write a perfect song that will stand the test of time. Also was back in the time when their music videos were the pinnacle of the medium. Love the rock out at the end along with all the pop culture references. If only they still did them, the last one, for Low, was a bit shit.

PDFs work. I tested a couple. They work natively, but they're much better if you use Calibre (free http://calibre-ebook.com/) to convert them to mobi format. This allows you to scale the font sizes etc like you can with regular Kindle books. I guess there must be some pdfs that don't seamlessly convert to mobi, but the couple I tried did.
mobi works best but I've found all formats to read fairly good. Haven't come across a bad pdf yet.

RE: Kindles. They are great. I bought one of the new "normal" Kindles and I think it's definitely the pick if you just want to read books. Lighter and smaller than the Touch and Keyboard and only $134ish shipped from Amazon or $139 from Big W.
I got my gf the OG Kindle when they released through Dick Smith back in August and she loves the hell out of them. Plug and play is so damn easy too.

Anyone have suggestions for fun but simple 2D platformers that I can easily buy? I need some inspiration for my 2D sidescroller (aiming for simplicity).
Where Is My Heart? on PSN minis is great, also free for PSN+ members. Not that simple but certainly very very charming.

Deeku

I haven't since about a half year ago when I set up the modem. Now I've forgotten the password and can't get back into it. I could do a hard reboot and factory reset it but TPG TV has some weird settings I have no idea how to work. So basically I just sit here hoping nothing goes wrong.
My modem was the default "admin" for username and pw for a good 5 years before I decided that I should probably change it.

And yeah, been with TPG and had no real problems except for random drop outs every now and then. It's decent for the most part.

Top Bottom