• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

For Gaz.

Salazar said:
i52500k, GTX570.

You guys are going to make me buy Saints Row.
You should buy SR3 from GMG right meow. So much fun, no interest in going to bed now or going to work tomorrow. :(
Also damn man, the 2500k should have you set for 3 years at least. Aside from a SSD and maybe a 212+ to overclock that CPU for Dolphin usage I really don't see what games you would need to upgrade for.

Gazunta said:
Do we even have any NT AusGAFfers?
East Coast AusGAF is where it's at.

maladroid

RandomVince said:
Well, talk about a controversial review score. At least it hasn't been as dramatic as the uncharted review.
I feel like the reactions to SS's review scores have been somewhat tempered by the outrage at the U3 Eurogamer 8. I imagine if the chronological order had been reversed (Gamespot 7.5, then Eurogamer/Edge 10s, then the Uncharted mess), things woulda been crazy. I don't put much stock in game reviews (scores in particular) these days, but it's interesting to see people's interest in numbers.

Jintor said:
Fuck yeah, handball
I'm quite bummed my macro exam prevented me from participating in the heat of this handball discussion. I've always wondered where it came from.

fake edit: Wiki's put up a bunch of articles since 4 years ago. :D

I remember there was a thread on school yard games here on gaf ages ago, and it led me to the american version of foursquare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQM6acjGI8U&feature=related

wtf is this shit?

Searching handball yields better results.
800px-HandballCourtMacDonaldParkTracyCAJuly2010.jpg

It's like what I called downball (except without the hitting the ball down).

I'm surprised the names of the squares are similar despite the american version being so different. We had King, Queen, Jack and Dunce for regular four square. 'Inno' was called interference for objects, and enter for people. Soo many variations. Too many to name or recall. All I remember is that I was awesome.

Shaneus

bodyboarder said:
Ive been so happy with my Astone media player I haven't looked at anything else. Got it a few years back, best $80 I have spent in a while.

Considering it can play practically any format of meida, has much improved or is it just nicer menus etc?
The UI on all the other WD boxes are far better and the latest one I have has a faster processor that all other ~$120 boxes. It was a <.1% thing, but whenever there's some (faux) film grain or a lot of movement onscreen, all players would either stop streaming completely or drop sync or something along those lines, and not due to network bandwidth, actually due to CPU. This new one seems to have patched that up, but I had to try and remember some of the videos that it happened to!
reptilescorpio said:
You should buy SR3 from GMG right meow. So much fun, no interest in going to bed now or going to work tomorrow. :(

Meow!

What have I missed today?

*reads thread*

Not much.

New video card makes BF3 and even MW3 run much better. The Single player in MW3 is better than I expected (I wasn't sold on Blops SP)

Just ordered Zelda from ozgameshop (Just the game since I have a Motion+ somewhere) I've got to (force myself to) finish Uncharted 3 first so I can wait a week or so.

The MW3 campaign seems better than BLOPS so far. The MP is good but I think still preferred the maps in BLOPS.

I think the last time I played handball was in Grade 12. That was in 1990.

Yagharek

Checked my roster.

I have days off on November 23, 24, 25. Just in case it breaks street date, and just in case it doesn't.

maladroid

shanshan310 said:
Well, I feel young. Last time I played handball was Grade 6, and that was in 2004.
Somebody younger than me. :eek: I was going to say, I was born in 1990.
The last time I played was in 2006. People looked down on us for playing it as long as we did, but I still think it was better than the walking aimlessly/standing in one spot for the entirety of lunch thing we did for most of VCE.
Who is the youngest AusGafian(?)?

edit: Haha, is it you Rooster? I suppose the 93 is a give-away.

Deeku

Well at least we know we have adult supervision here!

Seriously though, I knew AusGaf was kinda old, but at most early 30s.

I stopped doing physical activity during recess/lunch from year 5 onwards. Year 5-6 was Magic. Then when I got to highschool, I joined the anime society (lol). Every lunch we sat in the air conditioned library and watched anime while we ate. We were the cool kids!

commanderdeek said:
Well at least we know we have adult supervision here!

Seriously though, I knew AusGaf was kinda old, but at most early 30s.

I stopped doing physical activity during recess/lunch from year 5 onwards. Year 5-6 was Magic. Then when I got to highschool, I joined the anime society (lol). Every lunch we sat in the air conditioned library and watched anime while we ate. We were the cool kids!

Damn that sounds fun. I had a soccer-at-lunchtime stint, and then after that it was mostly just sitting down (until grade 12 and then I was editing at lunch -_-).

justin.au

commanderdeek said:
Suddenly I feel like a jock.

Salazar

Well, we mainly played Seat Wars. Five guys on a bench. Winner is whoever doesn't get pushed off.

That and throwing food high up in the air and remaining stock-still. The loser was whoever got hit.

I don't mean to give the impression of an unsophisticated group. There was quite a bit of tactical depth to these games.

Salazar said:
Well, we mainly played Seat Wars. Five guys on a bench. Winner is whoever doesn't get pushed off.

That and throwing food high up in the air and remaining stock-still. The loser was whoever got hit.

I don't mean to give the impression of an unsophisticated group. There was quite a bit of tactical depth to these games.

we used to put leftovers from lunch on the road and watch cars run over them. Apple/ Banana was the best.
Kids!

Shaneus said:
The UI on all the other WD boxes are far better and the latest one I have has a faster processor that all other ~$120 boxes. It was a <.1% thing, but whenever there's some (faux) film grain or a lot of movement onscreen, all players would either stop streaming completely or drop sync or something along those lines, and not due to network bandwidth, actually due to CPU. This new one seems to have patched that up, but I had to try and remember some of the videos that it happened to!

Ah. Thanks for clarifying, I never "stream" to the astone as it is.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
on buying my tv I was told it was only 720p. but it pops up when I put a bluray on, and the resolution it displays says 1080p. did i snag a bargain?

Salazar

HolyCheck said:
on buying my tv I was told it was only 720p. but it pops up when I put a bluray on, and the resolution it displays says 1080p. did i snag a bargain?

My tv has two HDMI ports, but when I put in an HDMI cable it says "NOT SUPPORTED".

maladroid

HolyCheck said:
I don't think so. I think it just means it has a chip in it that can process and display 1080p content.

Danoss

HolyCheck said:
Your TV is recognising the input resolution, which is supports. Of course since it has a 720p, it cannot display 1080p, so it downscales for you.

My 720p TV does the same. I want to watch Blu-ray movies in 24p, but this framerate is only supported in the 1080p resolution. So I'll see it pop up saying 1920x1080 24Hz or whatever it says as it recognises the input.

Gazunta

I don't miss driving over that stupid bridge every day one little bit.

Instead of going to high school I went to the comic shop across the road. They had a portable C64 in the back room. It was the greatest place in the universe.

Deeku

Gazunta said:
Instead of going to high school I went to the comic shop across the road. They had a portable C64 in the back room. It was the greatest place in the universe.
Heh, we skipped classes a few times to go play Counter Strike at internet cafes because it was the thing at the time. Real easy to do too since our school was in the cbd.

HolyCheck said:

What size tv? If it's a 32", 1080P would look the same as 720p anyway.

Rimfya

Banned
Shaneus said:
Which one.. the first (non-network) one? Yeah, definitely does.

Actually... I think I gave that one to my folks (damnit). The network one I'd get rid of for, say, $80? Still have the box, receipt, remote etc.
What does network one mean?

I have an Apple TV which covers almost everything I need. Just get annoyed when certain ... Videos only get encoded in 720 mkv containers.

maladroid

shanshan310 said:
I just realised I have a big bruise on my forearm from leaning it on the table to type :s
How does that work? I'll get a weird indent on my arm from duration, but that's it.

Speaking of realisations, after watching Danoss' Milo video and Kritz' Skyrim review, I have no idea what Aussies sound like.

Deeku

maladroid said:
How does that work? I'll get a weird indent on my arm from duration, but that's it.

Speaking of realisations, after watching Danoss' Milo video and Kritz' Skyrim review, I have no idea what Aussies sound like.
Why not watch Jambo's lego video as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcjunWfbbMA

They all sound pretty normal Australian to me:/

Edit:

Or watch Serrel's interview on abc24, I reckon he has the most Australian accent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NGjZ5hLuY

Danoss

commanderdeek said:
Accents do differ from region to region, but overall, they're quite similar.

Kritz's voice is quite unique though, I think.

maladroid

commanderdeek said:
Why not watch Jambo's lego video as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcjunWfbbMA

Edit:

Or watch Serrel's interview on abc24, I reckon he has the most Australian accent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NGjZ5hLuY
I didn't mean they sounded odd. It's just been a long time since I've heard 'Aussie' Aussie accents. The only time I turn on TV now is to watch Conan/Letterman. The rest of the time, I've been listening to lectures (lecturer has atypical accent) or British panel shows. I've been in this exam bubble for too long, so hearing Aussie blokes talk is just weirding me out.

Will watch the rest of the Lego videos after Friday. And haha, Serrel is obviously the prime example of an Australian accent! Whenever I see news coverage of gaming/tech-related events, it always makes me wonder how accurate they are when they report about everything else I don't have a clue of.

Danoss said:
Accents do differ from region to region, but overall, they're quite similar.

Kritz's voice is quite unique though, I think.
Which region would you be from Danoss, if you don't mind me asking? All I notice is differences in terms. Queenslanders say Grade 12 instead of Year 12, and don't know what Big Ms are. South Australians say tea instead of dinner. This one girl from Perth finished every sentence with 'aye' (You drive awful funny in the city here, aye.). Besides that, I have no idea.

Jintor

I still hold that the nerdiest thing I've done was to show that old HL2 music video with Breaking Benjamin in it to my entire English class, and I can't remember why.

Jintor said:
I still hold that the nerdiest thing I've done was to show that old HL2 music video with Breaking Benjamin in it to my entire English class, and I can't remember why.

Wow. I got some mad wahjah going on here.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
GMG have started sending out the SR3 DLC codes. Just check your account on their site if you haven't gotten the email yet, Mine was there.

So after receiving the wrong LBP keychain they have refunded my $5 and have told me to keep the wrong one that was sent out. All communicated nice and easily through email without any hassles. Very pleased aside from having to wait for the keychain to go on special again to get Drake brotecting my car keys.

ClivePwned said:
Is anyone getting Rayman Origins?
I will most likely grab it after Christmas depending on how long Saints Row 3 (and then Arkham City) lasts me. Looks fantastic.

maladroid said:
The last time I played was in 2006. People looked down on us for playing it as long as we did, but I still think it was better than the walking aimlessly/standing in one spot for the entirety of lunch thing we did for most of VCE.
We spent most of VCE either inside our special VCE room blasting music, playing table tennis and generally skulking by the window looking at all the kids outside or being outside playing hacky. Actually, I can't recall kicking the footy around during breaks during VCE? Our school might have had something against it, I can't remember.

HolyCheck said:
Google for the manufacturers webpage on the model when in doubt.

shanshan310 said:
I just realised I have a big bruise on my forearm from leaning it on the table to type :s
Need to eat more steak yo.

Jintor said:
I have had that quietly bookmarked for some time now, just in case I need to bring in some material for a rebuttal.

evlcookie said:
GMG have started sending out the SR3 DLC codes. Just check your account on their site if you haven't gotten the email yet, Mine was there.
No code for me yet and I was the one they responded to on twitter about it! :(

giri

justin.au said:
I missed the UC3 reaction. Was it really as insane as people say it was? The SS thread was not as amusing as I had hoped.
I know the guy who did the SS review. Good guy. Review seemed balanced. I can say that i always found the wii motion controls clumsy, and couldn't imagine this being that great. (That said, not having used the sony of MS variations,i imagine they're just as bad).

Clipper

So, I haven't received a response from the US shipping company about my missing PS3 yet, so I contacted Amazon asking whether they are the ones that need to send the info to Australia Post to initiate the search of what happened...

Several minutes later I receive a response saying they think it's lost and asking whether I want a replacement or refund! I did not expect that on a $300 console bundle delivery. Man, Amazon is awesome.

I do wonder what will happen if both show up (and asked Amazon what to do in this case)...

Top Bottom