• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

giri

Clipper said:
So, I haven't received a response from the US shipping company about my missing PS3 yet, so I contacted Amazon asking whether they are the ones that need to send the info to Australia Post to initiate the search of what happened...

Several minutes later I receive a response saying they think it's lost and asking whether I want a replacement or refund! I did not expect that on a $300 console bundle delivery. Man, Amazon is awesome.

I do wonder what will happen if both show up (and asked Amazon what to do in this case)...
Amazon just ask you to shit it back to them (at no cost, they'll pay).

Or so my experience has been with other pricey items.

On some things, like books, they just say keep em.

Clipper

BanShunsaku said:
You will tell no one and send it to me, that's what will happen.
Sorry mate, my morals are too strong to do that without permission. If Amazon say to keep it, you can have it for the price of shipping to you, though. ;)
giri said:
Amazon just ask you to shit it back to them (at no cost, they'll pay).

Or so my experience has been with other pricey items.

On some things, like books, they just say keep em.
I was assuming that'd be the thing. Pity, as due to credit card fees I don't get all my money back, but last time I had to ship something back they refunded me shipping twice for some reason and I actually made money.

Yagharek

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-16-skyrim-players-call-for-ps3-save-file-bug-fix

How did skyrim even get certified? Someone needs to tell the clowns at bethesda that if they cant make a game that works, they dont get to release it until its fixed.

PlayStation 3 owners have called on Bethesda to fix a bug currently making their version of Skyrim unplayable for some.
Gamers on Bethesda's forum, Eurogamer and Reddit have reported a bug that occurs when save files exceed a certain size, currently pegged at around 6MB.
After that point, the PS3 version suffers from lag and, according to some players, eventually becomes unplayable.

And what a surprise - not one review mentioned this "feature".

Clipper

So yeah, Amazon got back to me and I should send it back to them or pay them for the second bundle if I get both, as expected (Sorry Ban). Still, I'm surprised they don't want to bother with the investigation process at all and just send a new one...

RandomVince said:
I heard somewhere (I think an IGN podcast) that they only sent the 360 and PC versions out for review before release. Thus, most sites would have played the PS3 version for a little while at launch to confirm it was up to par with the 360 one and move from there. They wouldn't have had time to experience the bug.

I guess this opens the possibility for a conspiracy theory that they knew about this and that's why they didn't give out the PS3 version early, but that would be quite despicable.

Clipper said:
So yeah, Amazon got back to me and I should send it back to them or pay them for the second bundle if I get both, as expected (Sorry Ban). Still, I'm surprised they don't want to bother with the investigation process at all and just send a new one...

That's cool, I wouldn't have actually expected you to send it to me, you should sell for maximum profits!

But really I'm the same with stuff like that, maybe it makes me a bit soft but I never like ripping anyone off, even if it is a big company like Amazon. And their customer service is so good that I wouldn't feel comfortable ripping them off.

Omikron

I kept my replacement and original threadless orders. I am a dirty thieving bastardo.

Also, not trying to justify, but I am sure they are insured for loss of goods etc in such a manner, so I am sure they would claim back that loss, question is, if you sent it back... hmm :)

Agyar

The last few pages are a juxtaposition of people reminiscing about their distant childhood and other people talking about what they did last year.

Yagharek

Clipper said:

I heard somewhere (I think an IGN podcast) that they only sent the 360 and PC versions out for review before release. Thus, most sites would have played the PS3 version for a little while at launch to confirm it was up to par with the 360 one and move from there. They wouldn't have had time to experience the bug.

I guess this opens the possibility for a conspiracy theory that they knew about this and that's why they didn't give out the PS3 version early, but that would be quite despicable.

Sounds quite likely given they made broken ps3 versions of oblivion and fallout.

giri

BanShunsaku said:
That's cool, I wouldn't have actually expected you to send it to me, you should sell for maximum profits!

But really I'm the same with stuff like that, maybe it makes me a bit soft but I never like ripping anyone off, even if it is a big company like Amazon. And their customer service is so good that I wouldn't feel comfortable ripping them off.
Same, i'll ever correct the cashier when doing gorceries. I did it twice last month, cost me $50 to correct them!. ok, well not cost...

Omi said:
I kept my replacement and original threadless orders. I am a dirty thieving bastardo.

Also, not trying to justify, but I am sure they are insured for loss of goods etc in such a manner, so I am sure they would claim back that loss, question is, if you sent it back... hmm :)

Yes, cause insurance fraud is cool, fuck the big companies! rite? lol, rite! That is, of course, assuming they put it with a big insurer and not through an underwriting agency where every single cent onto their portfolio's loss ratio can decide whether 20 people keep a job or the agency loses it's security and has to fold.

And now threadless do have to lodge a claim, if its above excess, which ... who knows, probably not for a $10 t-shirt. And if it is, their insurance goes up next year. So you end up paying more next year.

Was pretty busy yesterday but managed to fit in a couple of hours of AC:R.

Bad:
- Tower defence is slow and not particularly fun. You do see to unlock different units which might be alright later on.
- Dens seem to be 'under attack' way too often. Like when Saints Row neighbourhoods are under attack, you have to go to that spot. Even worse though, you have to fight your way to the den, then become anonymous (hard when there's blokes hiding behind barriers you can't get into).
- The story seems as bland as the rest.
- WTF happened to Desmond? He looks different. Again.
- It takes far too long to actually get somewhere where you can play Assassin's Creed. The whole first hour is cutscenes and stupid minigame type stuff.
- The hookblade doesn't add a whole lot of new stuff.
- The control and animations haven't changed since the first game, meaning that some annoying things like grabbing onto the wrong thing or stuff being annoying slow is still present.
- There's so much variety available that it's easy to waste a lot of time.

Good:
- Stabbing people in the face is as fun as ever.
- The hook blade roll over people move is kickass but it doesn't always seem to work.
- There's so much variety available that it's easy to waste a lot of time.
- Haghia Sophia, Little Haghia Sophia and Galata Tower look great. I remember when visiting Haghia Sophia last year (before the setting was announced) that I thought it'd be fun to climb in Assassin's Creed and they certainly delivered.
- Recruiting assassins seems to have some variety. I can't recall if AC:B did this, but it seems there are a few assassins with different recruitment missions other than the 'save them' (which really is a ripoff of the 'save the citizen' from the first AC).

Omikron

giri said:
Yes, cause insurance fraud is cool, fuck the big companies! rite? lol, rite! That is, of course, assuming they put it with a big insurer and not through an underwriting agency where every single cent onto their portfolio's loss ratio can decide whether 20 people keep a job or the agency loses it's security and has to fold.

And now threadless do have to lodge a claim, if its above excess, which ... who knows, probably not for a $10 t-shirt. And if it is, their insurance goes up next year. So you end up paying more next year.

Nice one. Because that is what I was saying. Fucking moron.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RandomVince said:

We can only review the code we're sent, or the versions we buy. In 90% of cases game code is for the 360, and as far as I'm aware is always 360 for Bethesda games.

giri

Omi said:
Nice one. Because that is what I was saying. Fucking moron.
You said it was ok to steal cause an insurance company will pay.

Thats what you said.

I'm a bitter old man ranting, but that's what you said.

Clipper

Choc said:
guys seriously, what bug

i have ps3 skyrim ;_;
It was in the link given earlier. Basically once the save reaches 6MB, the game starts to lag more and more for some people until the game becomes unplayable.

BanShunsaku said:

I'm sort of stuck by a very high moral standpoint that I wouldn't want to sell it even if they did say to keep it. Same thing happened with a Blu-Ray order I made with them where the cover had been scratched by what looked like a Stanley knife. They told me to keep it and I sent it to a friend instead of selling as I'd feel guilty accepting money for what is essentially a gift.

Rahk

Clipper said:
Sorry mate, my morals are too strong to do that without permission. If Amazon say to keep it, you can have it for the price of shipping to you, though. ;)

I was assuming that'd be the thing. Pity, as due to credit card fees I don't get all my money back, but last time I had to ship something back they refunded me shipping twice for some reason and I actually made money.
It seems to me like you've been overreacting. Things sometimes take a while to ship and sometimes the tracking thing doesn't work.

How long has it been since they shipped it? Perhaps you should wait a bit before you get them to send another one.

Clipper

Rahk said:
It seems to me like you've been overreacting. Things sometimes take a while to ship and sometimes the tracking thing doesn't work.

How long has it been since they shipped it? Perhaps you should wait a bit before you get them to send another one.
It was shipped from Amazon on the 1st. It shipped out of the US on the 5th. Australia Post says, by e-mail, that they acknowledged receipt and had the package on the 8th and they also say they have no idea what's happened to it since then.

They also told me they can't do anything unless the sender initiates an enquiry and told me to contact them.

Kritz

Banned
Danoss said:
Accents do differ from region to region, but overall, they're quite similar.

Kritz's voice is quite unique though, I think.

At the risk of this post sounding super wanky (c'mon it's a Kritz post of course it'll be wanky), I have no god damn idea why my voice is so weird.

I think it's a mix of Tasmanian regional accent + I spent 2004 to 2009 playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live with an American community, to the point where my accent changed enough to the point where people at my school thought I was American. Teachers would ask me how long I've been in Australia for and what I thought of the country. Yeah, weird.

I used to hate my voice for a really long time, but I've kind of just started embracing it. I've not yet seen anyone say it's an annoying voice, which was always a worry, I guess. Especially when I'm always trying to do voice work for animations / general presentation stuff on what I create.

I will say though, Jambo's accent be hella Australian. I wonder if it says anything about myself that I can still hear the Australian accent when people I don't know speak. I never notice it in friends, because to me, that's how my friends speak. But when I meet new people or talk to people I don't really know, yeah.

Accent recognition is weird. I wonder if there is a Tasmanian / Mainlander accent difference.

Omikron

giri said:

Thats what you said.

No, I just questioned whether if you sent it back whether they would actually tell their insurer it was.

I never once said it was ok.

Salazar said:
Tripping motherfuckers is amazing.
That and the roll are pretty good. The zipline is fun but they're never where you need them. The rest are meant to feel like new additions, but they're just the same. The high jump while climbing has been there since AC2, the catch onto a ledge while jumping has been there since AC.

Danoss

giri said:

Thats what you said.

Did you actually read what he said? Judging by the scathing reply you gave him, I think not. I highly doubt you have done the right thing in this regard or any other way your entire life.

That's right, the high horse you're on? Get off it.

Kritz said:
I used to hate my voice for a really long time, but I've kind of just started embracing it. I've not yet seen anyone say it's an annoying voice, which was always a worry, I guess. Especially when I'm always trying to do voice work for animations / general presentation stuff on what I create.

I will say though, Jambo's accent be hella Australian. I wonder if it says anything about myself that I can still hear the Australian accent when people I don't know speak. I never notice it in friends, because to me, that's how my friends speak. But when I meet new people or talk to people I don't really know, yeah.

Accent recognition is weird. I wonder if there is a Tasmanian / Mainlander accent difference.
The accent is still there, I can certainly hear it. I just think your voice is unique. I wasn't saying that in a secret "lol, sounds weird" way, so I hope you weren't offended.

I'm actually the same when hearing people speak though, I think it's some sort of odd disconnect. When I hear people talk in person, I don't notice it, but when I see something on YouTube or something, I can tell "hey, that guy's Australian, cool!" I honestly don't know what it is, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Kritz

Banned
Also, Jambo, myself and a few others in the Steam chat have the terrible idea of making what will be the forth rebranding of the AusGAF Podcast.

I'm sure the interest for something like this is at an all time low, but maybe it'll end up okay. Probably not! Will likely have the format of 2-3 regulars + 1-2 guests (maximum of four people). Likely will not have a "host" figure. Largely unplanned. Ah hour or less in length. Heavily edited.

Should be interesting.

Mistle

How long does ozgameshop usually take to get a game to Victoria? I've never used it before but it seems to be the best site, and I'll probably get Mario 3D Land from there along with future titles. Great prices!

I assume they sell UK versions of games, not Aus?

Mistle said:
How long does ozgameshop usually take to get a game to Victoria? I've never used it before but it seems to be the best site, and I'll probably get Mario 3D Land from there along with future titles. Great prices!

I assume they sell UK versions of games, not Aus?

Average is about 2 weeks. It's the PAL version of the game.

Salazar

codswallop said:
That and the roll are pretty good.

Whenever any citizens say shit about me, I am always back immediately to dump each and every one of them on their ass with the hookblade.

legend166

Went to try out UC3 multiplayer the other night.

"You must enter your Online Pass code to play multiplayer."

Fat chance, knobheads.

Fredescu

Wow, Sins of a Solar Empire is on Steam now. I guess Brad figured he would make more money selling games on Steam than trying to compete with it.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
Wow, Sins of a Solar Empire is on Steam now. I guess Brad figured he would make more money selling games on Steam than trying to compete with it.

Glad I waited, genuinely keen to check it out.

legend166

Fredescu said:

They sold Impulse to Gamespot, remember?

Or was he planning on making a new DD store?

Fredescu said:

That game was amazing. But after a while I just got over it. It seemed like I was sinking hours upon hours into it and coming nowhere near an end point. Also I was being attacked by pretty much the entire universe on a heap of fronts.

Shit. I really want to play it now. You bastard Fred.

Kritz said:
At the risk of this post sounding super wanky (c'mon it's a Kritz post of course it'll be wanky), I have no god damn idea why my voice is so weird.

I think it's a mix of Tasmanian regional accent + I spent 2004 to 2009 playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live with an American community, to the point where my accent changed enough to the point where people at my school thought I was American. Teachers would ask me how long I've been in Australia for and what I thought of the country. Yeah, weird.

For the longest time I really didn't like my voice either. But I noticed in an interview I recorded the other day I actually thought I didn't sound like a complete d bag.

And there is totally a difference between some states. Namely SA and VIC and the rest of the country. Also northern Qld. Not sure about Tassie though.

Clipper

legend166 said:
Went to try out UC3 multiplayer the other night.

"You must enter your Online Pass code to play multiplayer."

Fat chance, knobheads.
I'm quite surprised UC3 doesn't have the 7-day free trial period that I thought all the other online pass games have.

I don't really agree with this type of online pass and I hope it doesn't become the norm. Perhaps if there were no online trophies it would be fine, but one of the trophies does require online (the other mulitplayer one can be done in co-op).

Deeku

Fredescu said:
:O

They need to put Gal Civ on there too and make it work on mac!

Fredescu

FallbackPants said:
That game was amazing. But after a while I just got over it. It seemed like I was sinking hours upon hours into it and coming nowhere near an end point. Also I was being attacked by pretty much the entire universe on a heap of fronts.
Yeah, a short game for me was like 7 hours. So I would play three short games, and be done with it for a while. But that's 20 hours worth of game. And I did that three times. Worth it.

giri

Danoss said:
Did you actually read what he said? Judging by the scathing reply you gave him, I think not. I highly doubt you have done the right thing in this regard or any other way your entire life.

That's right, the high horse you're on? Get off it.

I interpreted differently, and incorrectly now i read it again. But yes, i think for the most part i have done pretty much the right thing in this regard. What comes around goes around for the most part.

Danoss

giri said:
I interpreted differently, and incorrectly now i read it again.
Say sorry.

giri said:
But yes, i think for the most part i have done pretty much the right thing in this regard. What comes around goes around for the most part.
I call bullshit. You've never done anything wrong, never stolen or done anything else wrong either? Hahaha, pull the other one.

Fredescu said:
Yeah, a short game for me was like 7 hours. So I would play three short games, and be done with it for a while. But that's 20 hours worth of game. And I did that three times. Worth it.

I have a habit of playing those types of games immediately on huge maps and make the games as long as possible. I think its a hang over from playing Civ as a kid and wanting room to expand and not have to fight a bunch of people with spearmen.

beethoven??

Clipper said:
It was shipped from Amazon on the 1st. It shipped out of the US on the 5th. Australia Post says, by e-mail, that they acknowledged receipt and had the package on the 8th and they also say they have no idea what's happened to it since then.

They also told me they can't do anything unless the sender initiates an enquiry and told me to contact them.

Mine shipped out from the US on the 4th :s Should I too be worried?

If I log on to the site that's the last place it was tracked to (leaving the US).

EDIT: my exam is at 5:45... What am I doing on GAF....

Top Bottom