• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

legend166

Why am I seemingly the only person who really enjoyed the *midway Uncharted 3 spoilers*
ship graveyard?
That's easily been the most enjoyable part of the game for me. Sure, the enemy encounters are a bit crappy, but practically every single enemy encounter in all three games is crappy. Everything else has been a bit boring for me.

Jintor

Fuck, I hate 'on-hold' talkingness. Just leave me with a full track of music THEN do the nagging, you shitcunts. Why does nobody get this right?

Jintor

On a side note, I am really beginning to move towards a more system-centric design philosophy of games. I guess you'd call it more ludology than narrative. Games with great dressing but poorer core systems aren't really doing it for me anymore, whereas games with great design and only vague trappings are far more entertaining. I've really begun noticing this more over the last year.

giri

bodyboarder said:
Anyidea why my avatar changed? It's still dogbert in my "profile".

Is it my image host playing games?
still dogbert to me

Also, they're all hosted on the GAF servers these days, not remotely.

photo.png

bodyboarder said:
Anyidea why my avatar changed? It's still dogbert in my "profile".

Is it my image host playing games?
GAF only allows GAF-hosted avatars, not externally-hosted ones.

Unless I misread what you meant. I see Dogbert on both GAF and secondapps. Clear cache? CTRL-F5?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Melbourne weather when it's hot is lame.

It's not even hot, it's just stuffy.

Atleast in Adelaide heat you could cook an egg on the sidewalk, good ol' burning sun.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Cods I'm wearing pants too and I knew the weather. It's meant to rain / thunderstorm in the arvo so I'm hoping the pants idea works out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I said goddamn. Fucking Vogue and their international editions.

Anywho, 2 hours until I begin my penultimate exam for the year, with the final one immediately following. Ideally, I'd like to come home and discover that my brother's dog hasn't dug up another lettuce. What kind of Alaskan Malamute considers lettuce a delicacy?

EviLore said:
Multiquote. Press the button next to each post you want to quote, then hit reply and they'll all show up in your reply box. Regular quoting functionality remains with the text link.
Hereafter referred to in AusGAF as "the reptilescorpio button".

Danoss

giri said:
Their friday, so our saturday.
DualShadow: "Excuse me sir, do you have the time?"
giri: "Yeah, it's Friday"

DualShadow said:
What time is the GAF outage for us?
EviLore said Friday 23:00 GMT. Our time zone is GMT +10 or +11 (if you have daylight savings at present).

That would mean the outage begins Saturday 10:00 AEDST.

AnkhWeasel said:
Cool, Mega.

I think? I found a fascinating bug. If the cursor covers part of the paddle, the game registers it as a hole in the paddle?

Nice and smooth!

It.. shouldn't! It may have been something random. It seems to enjoy occasionally popping through the bat. I may need to call my collision calls more often.

commanderdeek said:
Umm, there's not pit...as in you can't lose.

Or does Breakout have no pit?

midonnay said:
hmmm..... can't die :p

It isn't finished! I've noticed that when I make games, adding death is an afterthought. :D

I'm doing scoreboard and death today. This is all for my research into HTML5 and the future of the <canvas> tag as a replacement for flash. (hint:
not anytime soon
)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Timed to go down when Americans sleep, but Australians are awake. Coincidence? Unlikely.

Danoss

giri said:
You're pretty cool.
When you can break time down from one large chunk into smaller components such as Hours and Minutes (even Seconds, woah), I'm sure you will be too. Don't worry man, you'll get there, just keep trying.

Ventron said:
todaysmybirthday.jpg
I see.

Seriously. Screw the Den Defense shit in AC:R. By completing a Den Defense, I raised the ire of the Templars causing them to initiate a Den Defense less than five minutes later. I 'failed' the second one, and then the console to locked up. Nice.

It's easier to let them fall and kill the captain again. And way more fun. I'll be putting all my efforts into levelling up the Assassins in each Den to level 15 to stop that shit.

codswallop said:
Seriously. Screw the Den Defense shit in AC:R. By completing a Den Defense, I raised the ire of the Templars causing them to initiate a Den Defense less than five minutes later. I 'failed' the second one, and then the console to locked up. Nice.

It's easier to let them fall and kill the captain again. And way more fun. I'll be putting all my efforts into levelling up the Assassins in each Den to level 15 to stop that shit.

I don't mind them too much but I'll be putting in Master Assassins as soon as I can.

Fogz

EatChildren said:
Timed to go down when Americans sleep, but Australians are awake. Coincidence? Unlikely.

I got used to Americans pulling this sort of thing back when I played lots of MMOs

giri

DeathJr said:
Me too, can't go to work in shorts. I can't imagine how some guys wear full suits in this weather.
Don't wear a full suit, but do still have to be in full formal work attire. Long sleeve business shirts & ties in summer are painful... luckily i don't have to wear the tie during summer these days.

A suit jacket would actually make you look worse IMO, you'd be over heating.

Also, where do i leave feedback that the new excel help search is utterly terrible. It uses bing search and shows results for general websites, not the excel help files. Utterly frustrating, if i wanted to search the web, i'd have used a god damn browser.

DualShadow said:
I don't mind them too much but I'll be putting in Master Assassins as soon as I can.
I find the whole thing grating and a terrible inclusion. The bombs are fine, and as I found out in one stealth mission, actually quite useful. Not so the Den Defense.

First you have to drop everything and get to the damned place. Then fight your way in (if you're lucky to have assassins free, it's not terribly difficult, otherwise it's just slow). Then the whole thing is just terrible. The controls are poor, it's difficult to place people with a controller, there's little to no feedback about how far people can shoot from the location you choose, there's no information on how strong each wave is, there's no detail about how close your guys are to dying, and then there's no great information on how to beat the stupid machines at the end.

Whoever designed that whole thing should be made to develop credits screens for the next three years.

HolyCheck said:
Melbourne weather when it's hot is lame.

It's not even hot, it's just stuffy.

Atleast in Adelaide heat you could cook an egg on the sidewalk, good ol' burning sun.

You should visit Brisbane. Where it gets hot AND humid. Actually it hasn't been humid here the last few days. Fucking hot, but pretty dry. I think it was around 36 the other day. In fucking November. By late December though it's going to suck the nut. And I don't even want to think about February.

giri

FallbackPants said:
You should visit Brisbane. Where it gets hot AND humid. Actually it hasn't been humid here the last few days. Fucking hot, but pretty dry. I think it was around 36 the other day. In fucking November. By late December though it's going to suck the nut. And I don't even want to think about February.
We're also in the dryest november on record (actually on record to be the dryest month ever i think?).

Slightly commical after the floods.

It's fairly funny listening the the difference of opinion over releasing water from Wivenhoe. Some people were planning a protest to force the government to release water because of the threat of flooding (the protest was called off when the government decided to do that anyway) while other people are saying we should be keeping the water because another drought could be around the corner.

codswallop said:
I find the whole thing grating and a terrible inclusion. The bombs are fine, and as I found out in one stealth mission, actually quite useful. Not so the Den Defense.

First you have to drop everything and get to the damned place. Then fight your way in (if you're lucky to have assassins free, it's not terribly difficult, otherwise it's just slow). Then the whole thing is just terrible. The controls are poor, it's difficult to place people with a controller, there's little to no feedback about how far people can shoot from the location you choose, there's no information on how strong each wave is, there's no detail about how close your guys are to dying, and then there's no great information on how to beat the stupid machines at the end.

Whoever designed that whole thing should be made to develop credits screens for the next three years.

Mostly agree.

You can check wave strength at the beginning before you start the defence.

For the machines I normally just use the cannon thing and it does a fair bit of damage.

It could have been much better so I'm guessing they'll either remove it all together for the next game or try and improve it a lot. General feelings in the OT are to remove it completely.

giri

FallbackPants said:
It's fairly funny listening the the difference of opinion over releasing water from Wivenhoe. Some people were planning a protest to force the government to release water because of the threat of flooding (the protest was called off when the government decided to do that anyway) while other people are saying we should be keeping the water because another drought could be around the corner.
My problem is, i agree with both parties :(

giri said:
My problem is, i agree with both parties :(

Ha, same. I actually think the government's doing a pretty good job with it. Dropping it to 75% after BOM predictions. I mean what more can they do?

In gaming, I bought my first Saints Row game last night. And while it's fun, I don't get the fawning over the series that parts of GAF have. The whole time I was playing I was just thinking "man i'm looking forward to GTA V."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yo Melbourne GAF, looking for an awesome housemate?

so am I

Top Bottom