• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

midonnay

bah, police harrassment...... this is like the 5th time he has been pulled over.

how many times did you get pulled over when you were 19?

Doesn't help that his car has such a fugly colour.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ng-investigation/story-e6frep5o-1226220508918

Tomic, Australia's top-ranked male tennis player, says he is being victimised by a 'jealous' Coast traffic cop who has pulled him up several times while out and about in his distinctive bright orange BMW M3.

The 19-year-old P-plater has a special Department of Transport exemption allowing him to drive the V8-powered vehicle.

Tomic alleged he was being targeted by the officer, who he refused to name, and said he was 'scared'.

"He doesn't like me for some reason ... he's always on my tail,'' the teenager said.

"I think it's really bad. I haven't done a thing wrong - I just go about my business as a tennis player.''

Tomic said he was pulled up on Sunday night in Surfers Paradise after he was allegedly seen hooning on the Southport Spit.

He said he was pulled up at traffic lights and denied he had broken the law.

"I didn't speed, I didn't do any of that stuff,'' he said.

"The car's very loud but I don't know what he (the police officer) defines as hooning.

"It (being pulled over) scared me a bit, to be honest. He's pulled me over a few times but now it's starting to get a little bit more aggressive.''

Police said the special licence exemption allowed Tomic to drive the BMW to and from training at Southport's Queens Park tennis centre.

But Tomic, who this year became the youngest man to make the Wimbledon quarter-finals, said he understood he was entitled to drive at any time in the course of his professional duties.

"I've got training, gym, massages and meetings I have to go to ... my days are very busy getting ready for the summer (tennis season),'' he said.

"I don't know what it is - jealousy or whatever - but this policeman seems to have it in for me. If I did the wrong thing, he would charge me, but he hasn't.

"I know he has a job to do but so do I.''

However, Tomic said he did not plan to lodge an official complaint about the officer.

"If he wants to keep pulling me over, there's nothing I can do about it,'' he said.

"I just hope it stops.''

Pumped Up Kicks will be number 1. Even the fantastic Owl Eyes cover made it to 28.

Or the new Skrillex track just for the lulz.

Pumped Up Kicks is 2010 brah.
Gotye will get #1. I would have bet on it if it was possible.
And Skrillex is poop that I'd eat for breakfast.

bah, police harrassment...... this is like the 5th time he has been pulled over.

I'll tell you when I get there!

Deeku

omg :lol @ the article.

Yeah, he could just comply with the rules by getting an average car, but he's clearly too much of a dick to do that.

Interesting hearing my cousin's husband talk about the Gillard thing, as his job is, um. "Related."

(he isn't, how ever, allowed to tell us what his job is.)

HES THE HEAD OF ASIO

Anyone can use the code Arnie, up until Monday at least. Planning on finding a $30 game.
yeh i realise that but other times i would like the emails with codes instead of the emails with not codes

Bogans with BMWs give BMW owners a bad name.
i think you mean pompous twats with bmws

Pumped Up Kicks is 2010 brah.
Gotye will get #1. I would have bet on it if it was possible.
And Skrillex is poop that I'd eat for breakfast.
Well shit. I thought the album came out around the middle of last year? Was it in the top 10 for last year? Gotye is a lock for number 1 then.

If you could afford it....would you be driving a honda civic?

tall poppy syndrome strikes again.
So if I can afford it I can break the law for no good reason? The dude could even rent a car within the power restrictions. He just doesn't give a fuck about what the law is, he wants to drive his M3 and does not give a shit what the consequences are or the point behind the law.

tennis is his place of work.

Drunk drivers get special dispensation all the time to drive to work. Don't hate the player...hate the game.
The 6 people I know who have been charged with drink driving and had their licences taken off them did not get any dispensation in order to get to work. One lost his job and the others made do with car pooling, public transport and good old fashioned walking.

midonnay

how is it breaking the law if you have permission?

people get special permission all the time to drive their vehicle to their place of work.

Qld police don't have the best reputation....just saying. Why is it so outrageous to think that he is being unfairly targeted because they don't like the decision to let him drive the car?

Look at OT, where cops in america have been caught by the FBI targeting hispanics.

Cops are people too...not gods.

Well shit. I thought the album came out around the middle of last year? Was it in the top 10 for last year? Gotye is a lock for number 1 then.

Yeah the album came out last year but Pumped Up Kicks was released as a single in 2010.

If Somebody That I Used To Know is not number 1 then there is no Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Tomic and his dad don't seem like the bright type.

Classic gold coast cashed up bogans. Made worse by the fact that he's a decent tennis player. This couldn't have come at a worse time for him, just when people were starting to think he was growing up and being less of a dick

midonnay

The 6 people I know who have been charged with drink driving and had their licences taken off them did not get any dispensation in order to get to work. One lost his job and the others made do with car pooling, public transport and good old fashioned walking.

there was a western australian cricketer.....who got done for drunk driving I'm pretty sure.

he got special permission to drive to work..... I don't think it ended well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Pomersbach

On 9 August 2009, after two hit-and-run incidents, Pomersbach was arrested and charged by police with failing to stop, failing to accompany police, driving with a blood alcohol level in excess of .08, assaulting a public officer, obstructing police and escaping legal custody.[6] He pleaded guilty and was fined and had his driver's licence cancelled. The WACA responded by suspending him indefinitely. On 6 October 2009, Pomersbach was awarded an extraordinary driver's licence due to hardship using public transport. [7] He returned from his ban for Western Australia in January 2010.

Fogz

Pretty sure shitty brostep Skrillex's biggest song First of the Year (Equinox) hasn't been in yet. And Matt Corby's song Brother.

Nah, it was around the 70s. And I really enjoyed it!

That gotye bloke has to win doesn't he? That song was everywhere last year!

Salacious Crumb

people get special permission all the time to drive their vehicle to their place of work.

Qld police don't have the best reputation....just saying. Why is it so outrageous to think that he is being unfairly targeted because they don't like the decision to let him drive the car?

Look at OT, where cops in america have been caught by the FBI targeting hispanics.

Meh, he get's arbitrary special treatment allowing him to drive an overpowered car, and in return he gets targeted by police. Seems fair enough to me.

Anyway, I'm sure it's pretty standard procedure everywhere to pull over P platers driving around in exotic sports cars.

Nah, it was around the 70s. And I really enjoyed it!

That gotye bloke has to win doesn't he? That song was everywhere last year!

Oh it was? Well shit. Turns out I was thinking of Scary Monsters and Sprites anyway lol.
They all sound the same anyway. Massive wub, epic drop and some random samples of people.

edit: Noooo Lana Del Rey

Fogz

Oh it was? Well shit. Turns out I was thinking of Scary Monsters and Sprites anyway lol.
They all sound the same anyway. Massive wub, epic drop and some random samples of people.

Which was also already on.

Rap sounds all the same to me and people apparently like that also :)

The Rum Diary was a very entertaining movie of Depp playing his usual character.

Pretty sure he only has permission to drive to and from practise, now he is saying he should be allowed to drive to massages as well? What is the fucking point of having the law then? Why not let everyone drive high performance sports cars at 19?

edit: Noooo Lana Del Rey
I kind of expect Bangarangflange or whatever the newest single is to feature up high, depends on the amount of Brostep voters though.

After all, this isn't the BEST 100 songs of the year, it is simply the HOTTEST songs as voted by the listeners. So there really isn't any point complaining about which song got where since it is all based on popularity. I haven't heard any Enter Shikari but I know that they aren't the focus of the station and part of the market so I don't mind.

Help me AusGAF, I may have made a terrible mistake by not getting the Zelda Skyward Sword limited bundle earlier and now it's not in stock anywhere. Anyone know where I can get it?

trinest

i think you mean pompous twats with bmws
I know pompous twats, and this man is more yuppie bogan then twat.

Help me AusGAF, I may have made a terrible mistake by not getting the Zelda Skyward Sword limited bundle earlier and now it's not in stock anywhere. Anyone know where I can get it?

I guess your out of luck man, I know some import sites like ozgameshop and Gamelane etc. occasionally find "more stock", but they don't have any at this stage.

Skyrim half price tomorrow at GMG, $30USD.

Learning how to code while listening to new age Industrial music. Keeps me in a boppy rhythm. Been a very productive afternoon. I made a fake liar detector program that makes fun of your penus size. :)

Hottest 100 was fucking awful, all of it.
It sounded a lot like the music Triple J had played all year, which is pretty much what I expected.

I want this one (or an m3)

aRMIY4sNwNQ7uCm.jpeg

Sonic Generations finished. Apart from the godawful final boss a fairly enjoyable game. I thought I may finish up the last of the challenges but my interest is starting to waver, so I think I may leave them for another day.

Along with Rayman: Origins, that brings my 2012 total of finished games to a massive 2. However, I'm well on my way to finishing a few other games, so I might take a crack at them. Should I take this opportunity to finish Uncharted 3? Perhaps Trine is more suiting to my current mindframe. Or perhaps it's Alice: Madness Returns that will take my fancy.

Oh, the horrible decisions I'm faced with.

Go now? But it's not lunch time.

Oh Jintor, you so crazy.

Edit: Also, could you please explain something to me? I remember, yonder months ago, that you did lavishly heap praise upon on Skyrim for being verily good. However, in the latest issue of Hyper you on record for saying that Xenoblade did quash both The Witcher 2 and Zelda for the top RPG honor. Did that mean that Skyrim fell into forth place or lower?

Crap. Really? I'll have to double check but I though it said Zelda. Don't worry, my memory is probably most likely faulty. So, if that's the case... uh.. I'll salvage my question by saying...

Does that mean Zelda got pushed to forth place?

Nice save.

Jintor

Crap. Really? I'll have to double check but I though it said Zelda. Don't worry, my memory is probably most likely faulty. So, if that's the case... uh.. I'll salvage my question by saying...

Does that mean Zelda got pushed to forth place?

Nice save.

well, it wasn't really in the running for RPG in the first place, even with all the crazy elements that Nintendo added...

Seriously though if anybody wants to recommend me Sydney restaurants that'd be a help.

Rezbit

I know I should be happy because yay Australia Day, but do you guys ever have moments where you just hate everything? So feeling that at the moment, massively bummed out.

I know I should be happy because yay Australia Day, but do you guys ever have moments where you just hate everything? So feeling that at the moment, massively bummed out.
Everyone does mate. Life is full of ups and downs. All you can do is take a deep breath, put on some choice tunes and see what tomorrow is like. Plenty of time left, only January after all, for some good to come your way.

Top Bottom