• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Fredescu

you can only contribute $25,000 per year at the 15% rate (else you get a big fine from the ATO for going over, penalty tax ) if you are under 50. Over 50 its $50,000
All they're suggesting is that that 15% rate instead be 30% if you're on over 180k a year, and 22% if you're on 80-180. It's still an incentive since it's less than what it would get taxed otherwise.

however the point is that the greens probably think people are putting 100-200k away at 15% a year
What are you basing that on?

Choc

Banned
the smart way for the greens to put it would be

1. Have a lower marginal rate on Super (maybe not 15%, maybe 5% or 10% after a certain limit)

2. Remove the caps on super contributions

So instead of getting 25k at 15%, you could get as much as you want at lets say 5% lower than the marginal rate

still incentive, government still gets more money than now, and removes limits that cause huge headaches for ATO and tax payers

but thats too logical and simple isn't it.....

Another thing I'd love to be able to do is make quotes have automatic linkbacks so I can see conversation threads easily.

like twitter? if so, fuck yes. would be amazing. im sure you could do it, especially with this new system. it'd just be a matter of a recursive function that grabs each post id. it'd be a bit of a downer on the database though, with any number of queries, unless there's a limit.

i could write some shitty psuedo code if anyones interested ahah. after lunch

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Super useful.

Another thing I'd love to be able to do is make quotes have automatic linkbacks so I can see conversation threads easily.

Click on the little arrow next to a quote and be amazed.

Omikron

the smart way for the greens to put it would be

1. Have a lower marginal rate on Super (maybe not 15%, maybe 5% or 10% after a certain limit)

2. Remove the caps on super contributions

So instead of getting 25k at 15%, you could get as much as you want at lets say 5% lower than the marginal rate

still incentive, government still gets more money than now, and removes limits that cause huge headaches for ATO and tax payers

but thats too logical and simple isn't it.....

:-/

Jintor

Click on the little arrow next to a quote and be amazed.

Holy shit. What about unfolding within the window so I don't get bounced all over the thread? That would be sick as. Probably just meddling for the sake of meddling though.

From a 'correctness' point of view sure. But from a practicality stand point, I don't want to be locked out.

Something similar to the dark souls system of only being able to be in one group at a time (or at least, "alignment" compatible groups) with a method of changing over that requires some expense or effort would be a better solution I think.. allows you to do all questlines on a single character while at least acknowledging that it shouldn't be so easy..

Yup.

Yup. Cross-platform with iOS users as well.

Worst thing about Words with Friends is that if you know the opponent well enough, it's painfully obvious when they cheat, which far too many seem to do. :(

I had severe issues with the WWF dictionary, something about inconsistencies on proper names, acronyms, foreign languages etc. I forget to be exact, had to uninstall it after it started taking over my life. If anybody wants to play scrabble with me they can come to my house and we can do it over tea and biscuits.

Okay I stated a game with you rep.
I finally noticed. My word was somehow allowed. Unbelts should not be a word, even spell-checker picked it up!

is anyone watching the sueprbowl?
Watched the last 5 minutes as the Patriots decided to put butter on their fingers. Was pretty funny to watch.

Worst thing about Words with Friends is that if you know the opponent well enough, it's painfully obvious when they cheat, which far too many seem to do. :(
I tend to spam things that seem like words until one works. Much better than in real life when people get the shits up about it!

i petitioned to ckhoeler once to have an auto-save somehow by using javascript and POST variables. he didnt get back to me :(
I sent him several drunken emails telling him how much I love him.

It ran pretty average on my old Samsung touchscreen but on the Galaxy S2 it is a dream. Bit of a hassle to link to stuff but aside from that I use it all the time on the couch or in bed.

Second Apps seems to cache my posts when I go back and forward from something I type.
Me too, I can go back and forth easily thankfully.

Holy shit I am in love with The Global Mail. When I grow up I want to work there. Long form, investigative, interesting and well written journalism? As long as the model its working on (the Wotif founder sinking money into it) doesn't force it to go under quickly, this could be a real winner for Australian media

Something similar to the dark souls system of only being able to be in one group at a time (or at least, "alignment" compatible groups) with a method of changing over that requires some expense or effort would be a better solution I think.. allows you to do all questlines on a single character while at least acknowledging that it shouldn't be so easy..

Off the top of my head I can't think of any examples, but I'm sure games as old as Baldur's Gate had quests you couldn't do because of alignment and previous actions. It's all about making choices, and if that burns a bridge to a group then tough shit. Play it differently next time.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Course Nintendo disclose no sales data making an impossible article for me to write.

Omikron

ANDROID GAMING!

Went exploring for any board game knock offs on the android marketplace yesterday and with the help of BGG, found a few ok ones.

Condado - Complete rip of San Juan, which is the card game version of Puerto Rico. Is not too bad so far, although I am NOT a good player of Puerto Rico at all as yet.
Blokish - Complete rip of Blokus incl. the name. :p Abstract strategy game thing with placing various shaped piece on a board.

Other:
Pirates and Traders - Sort of almost rogue-like spin on Pirates!, pretty cool but hard as hell so far. Barely managed to beat any ships :(
Dark Nova - This isn't free like the others (although there is a 'lite' version), it looks pretty cool, but yet to play much. Basically space trading type game.

Most likely the above are available on iOS as well for those inclined to 'that' sort of thing.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any examples, but I'm sure games as old as Baldur's Gate had quests you couldn't do because of alignment and previous actions. It's all about making choices, and if that burns a bridge to a group then tough shit. Play it differently next time.

i think you misunderstand my post. don't have a problem with getting locked out of stuff based on choice, i think that's the most "realistic" solution myself (happily yggdroided my way through Etrian Odyssey III, despite being locked out of the supposedly 'better' Samurai option), but obviously a lot of people don't want to invest the amount of time required to start a new character for each opposing plot-line. Bethesda are quite clearly aiming for accessibility by not locking you out, however that leads to plot inconsistencies. I was contemplating a possible compromise. Another would be faction-friendliness like in STALKER or Eve, so if you got locked out you could grind your way back in.

I had severe issues with the WWF dictionary, something about inconsistencies on proper names, acronyms, foreign languages etc..
Tell me about it. And there's no way to put a word on and even have the game flag that it's not in the dictionary. If it popped up in a different colour and the opponent could accept or reject it, that'd fix that... depending on the opponent.

I tend to spam things that seem like words until one works. Much better than in real life when people get the shits up about it!
Great way to learn new words! And have no idea what they mean.

Went exploring for any board game knock offs on the android marketplace yesterday and with the help of BGG, found a few ok ones.
Looks like Catan and Carcassonne are on there, but don't appear to be online multiplayer. Not sure about TTR, would be nice if they'd release that on Android.

i think you misunderstand my post. don't have a problem with getting locked out of stuff based on choice, i think that's the most "realistic" solution myself (happily yggdroided my way through Etrian Odyssey III, despite being locked out of the supposedly 'better' Samurai option), but obviously a lot of people don't want to invest the amount of time required to start a new character for each opposing plot-line. Bethesda are quite clearly aiming for accessibility by not locking you out, however that leads to plot inconsistencies. I was contemplating a possible compromise. Another would be faction-friendliness like in STALKER or Eve, so if you got locked out you could grind your way back in.

That was totally my bad, I wasn't trying to disagree with you, just quoting you as the latest post in the discussion.

So yeah, you're probably right. That would be a pretty good compromise. I guess starting Skyrim, or any Elder Scrolls game, a second time is a big undertaking.

Choc

Banned
So Microsofts 2011 press release makes for fun reading, but i would say that

you can spin the data any which way you like and come out #1

i'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done the exact same thing yet.

Dead Man

This is insane

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/body-in-fridge-may-be-linked-to-bikers-headon-crash-20120206-1r0xg.html

Did the motorcyclist top himself on purpose after killing his housemate? or pure coincidence

tldr;

motorcyclist killed on saturday in crash @ bathurst lived in chatswood

police broke into unit on sunday (where motorcyclist lived) after reports from neighbours. Found dead person in fridge, believed to be the housemate of dead motorcyclist

!

Fucking weird.

Choc

Banned
9:20am | A Taiwanese man died while playing video games at an internet cafe as dozens of other patrons carried on for hours afterwards apparently unaware that they were sitting near a corpse, according to police.

Yagharek

Everyone knows 360s only sell so well since people are buying replacement systems still.

Speaking of defective hw, my macbook decided to charge its battery today, after I booked it in for repair. Ffs.

Choc

Banned
Far Eastwood

edit i'm all for immigration (after all my wife is an english one) but seriously, eastwood is insanity

as a non-asian you would feel very uncomfortable being there and you feel out of place, you really do. Possibly because people do look at you as if wtf are you doing here.

Fredescu

Eastwood is a decent place and I would have no problems living there, used to visit people that have, lived next door in Epping for years, and never got looked at funny. Think you're a bit delusional Choc.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
My boss is walking around saying "I don't know how to make porridge" in a funny accent, he claims it is from a commercial... can anyone verify?

Aye, it's delicious, but that's no how you make porridge!

We need a Serrels re-enactment.

Cooking With Serrels!

Would fit in well with KotakuUS programming. A step up actually. I love porridge! Reminds me of staying at my grandparents as a kid. That fruit cake, yabbies and daddy long legged spiders.

midonnay

new york giants beat new england patriots again o_O

the only superbowl I ever watched start to finish was the last time they played...... seriously was like a movie with all the different twists.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I can't believe you guys haven't seen my cooking show.

http://vimeo.com/19209502

Cj4Bf.jpg

jambo

Roger Waters oh my god Roger Waters. It was fucking amazing. If anyone gets the chance to see it (someone was going right?) fucking do it. Incredible show. I haven't seen any concert anything like it.
Seeing it on the 14th, can't wait!!!

His show in 2007 was amazing, but everyone has been raving about his Wall Tour all last year.

Omikron

Far Eastwood

edit i'm all for immigration (after all my wife is an english one) but seriously, eastwood is insanity

as a non-asian you would feel very uncomfortable being there and you feel out of place, you really do. Possibly because people do look at you as if wtf are you doing here.

How do you go when you are overseas? Man. Paranoid. :D

hamchan

Far Eastwood

Well what are you doing there. Stay out of our Asian areas Choc! Go back to where you came from!!

Top Bottom