• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

NICE. My brother made a Tamiya model of one of these years ago with similar livery. What a classic.
It is, isn't it? I just love how the colours are EXACTLY (save for the off-white of the shoe) the same as that livery. Same kind of dark green and off-red, too.

All right screw it, if it isn't raining next Friday I will grab a slab of Pipsqueak and see how I go. I remember enjoying Gaymers a few years back too but haven't seen any of it lately.
(cheers for everything in the above post btw, just not responding to it)
Do that, or maybe go the cods route of getting a "royal sampler". Grab one or two of a few different things and go from there. I do recommend getting at least one bottle of the A&P Monteith's though. Maybe even grab a blackcurrant Bulmer's, a regular Magner's, a Mercury and a Pipsqueak or two. You won't have as much as a slab but next time you want something, you'll know exactly what to get. As it stands, here's (roughly) the different sorts of booze I've bought in the past few weeks, not counting the stuff I've had while at a bar/pub:
Dos Equis Lager
Monteith's Pear
Monteith's Pear & Apple
Monteith's Apple
Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Actually, that's about it. But it's a lot of different shit to try over the space of a month or so. Makes me feel somewhat accomplished.

fkDSV.gif
By far the best part of that whole video is the fact that Charlie's selling "Kitten Mittons".
Wish I could be bothered going back to that show. But it just got tired :(

hey you guys. i had a pretty shitty weekend yeah! ill tell steamers about it tomorrow night. for now, im fucking tired.

edit: to cheer myslf up im getting season 1 of ed edd and eddy to watch. btw i love twitter now. you really need people to use it with you to enjoy it. thanks whoever made that list, i forgot. i think it was jambo

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm perhaps there is one in the mall that's <5 minutes drive away.
How are retail rates these days? My last job paid 24/hour but I realise I might have to go down a bit from there.

20 for casual

I've always had good experiences with Asus laptops. They seem pretty well put together and reliable.

speaking of computer news, by old pc that still had a bunch of stuff on it died this morning. I'm not sure if i can be bothered getting it fixed or not

idk
my asus latptop thats like 1 year old has a battery that lasts like 30 minutes.
then i have one from highschool that just might as well not have a battery. whats up with that anyway. does hibernating then destroy battery life?

I had three different types of scotch last night, and watched an episode of both Boardwalk Empire and The Wire. All in all a pretty good evening.

thanks whoever made that list, i forgot. i think it was jambo
:(

AusGAF: My haul this week of interesting/different/fun shit:
and Monteith's Apple & Pear cider. Reptilescorpio, YOU NEED TO GET ONTO THIS.
:( cods recommendation fail.

Do that, or maybe go the cods route of getting a "royal sampler". Grab one or two of a few different things and go from there.
cods recommendation ... success?

GAME.Co.UK had it for 14 on 360. You guys really should read my bargain posts!
Do you run ecogamer.com or what?

does hibernating then destroy battery life?
Hibernating writes the contents of memory to disk and then turns off, so no. Sleep is basically 'standby' but for PCs. Neither should destroy a battery (though hibernating is easily the better of the two).

Batteries just don't last long. After 18 months pretty much every battery in every device you'll own is shot, at least until battery tech improves.

Shaneus

I... what? If it's regarding the cider, that was more on a whim because, while looking for the S&W Pacific, I happened to see it at Dan Murphy's. I had plenty of regular apple Monteith's at home but couldn't leave without getting the A&P.

If it wasn't that, then I'm a little baffled by your disappointment :(

Skyrim. So I've been playing it for a couple of weeks and I'm liking it. But not loving it. I'm at level 15 and
going after Mercer
. It's just not as interesting to me as Fallout 3 and NV were. I'm just not a fantasy guy.

So I got stuck into watching my very old Chuck backlog (still at Season 2) and for some reason felt COMPELLED to play Mass Effect 2 again. I gave up replaying ME1 midway through last year but when i booted up ME2 to start, I thought. Hmm, maybe I should go back to ME1.

So I'm now splitting my gaming time 50/50 with PC Skyrim and Mass Effect. We'll see how that lasts when SR3 turns up this week. Though with my in-laws staying with us this weekend, it might be safer to stick with Skyrim.

"Oh right, and what's that purple thing?"

casuals are up to $20 an hour? Up a long way since I last had a retail job. It was up to $14 when I last worked retail.

I had three different types of scotch last night, and watched an episode of both Boardwalk Empire and The Wire. All in all a pretty good evening.

cods recommendation ... success?

Hibernating writes the contents of memory to disk and then turns off, so no. Sleep is basically 'standby' but for PCs. Neither should destroy a battery (though hibernating is easily the better of the two).

Batteries just don't last long. After 18 months pretty much every battery in every device you'll own is shot, at least until battery tech improves.
The it dept. At my school always gave us shit for hibernaring and said it messed up the batt. No one listened and batteries died there might have been some truth behind it

Omikron

Speaking of Skyrim, I have 9 achievements to get.... I might just get those and put it down until DLC time! (Barely played any games in the last 2 weeks -> fuck you scorpio!)

Next up I think I might play Alice Madness Returns.

remz

The it dept. At my school always gave us shit for hibernaring and said it messed up the batt. No one listened and batteries died there might have been some truth behind it

IT guys hate hibernation for other reasons, from my experience it was a lot easier to deal with pcs that were shut off completely then ones in hibernation.

the batt thing was most likely a lie to make their lives easier. :p

No way, too much effort, I just trawl them and OzBargain for bargains along with my usual places.

Speaking of Skyrim, I have 9 achievements to get.... I might just get those and put it down until DLC time! (Barely played any games in the last 2 weeks -> fuck you scorpio!)
I think you mean THANKYOU scorpio for the push to be more productive! Also every time I jump on Steam you are playing Skyrim!

20 for casual
My last job paid 24/hour but I realise I might have to go down a bit from there.

I need a new job

Shaneus

So, who has two thumbs and just got ANOTHER RT from an Idle Thumb?

This guy.
MO4yo.jpg

Scoops
Video Games
Boost

I'm coming for ya, Remo.

By far the best part of that whole video is the fact that Charlie's selling "Kitten Mittons".
Wish I could be bothered going back to that show. But it just got tired :(

You're missing out man, it's not at the lofty heights it was at the "Kitten Mittons" stage, but some of the more recent episodes have been gold.

Also this is great http://deadspin.com/5882439/nbcs-brotherhood-of-man-super-bowl-tribute-featured-ron-swanson-and-thus-was-awesome

I will honestly never understand how NBC isn't the top rating American channel. They just have so many great shows that star in that ad.

Shaneus

Skyrim. So I've been playing it for a couple of weeks and I'm liking it. But not loving it. I'm at level 15 and
going after Mercer
. It's just not as interesting to me as Fallout 3 and NV were. I'm just not a fantasy guy.

I think Bethesda learned something from Fallout. I had zero interest in Oblivion. The game started and I got almost immediately bored. With Skyrim they gave you something to be interested in (the war) right from the start.

I think something that is kind of classic Skyrim from that is that I'm level 17ish and have no idea what quest that is in your spoiler.

Choc

Banned
Howard Webb is the number 1 ranked official in UEFA at the moment

also i am writing a doc that uses the acronym AWP

i keep thinking counterstrike

Omikron

I think Bethesda learned something from Fallout. I had zero interest in Oblivion. The game started and I got almost immediately bored. With Skyrim they gave you something to be interested in (the war) right from the start.

I think something that is kind of classic Skyrim from that is that I'm level 17ish and have no idea what quest that is in your spoiler.
Thieves Guild

The thing with Skyrim that bugs me is the lack of any real consequence, although to be fair, do I want consequence for my actions in a game that is 100-200 hours worth of gameplay that locks me out from whole areas and forces me to replay?

Not so sure.

BrisGAF. are we doing a meetup in honour of Choc's visit? Can someone organize that has time?

I suggest Brews and a chilled out place for the meet. Just something relaxed.

Also Choc where/what/when are you doing your thing?

The thing with Skyrim that bugs me is the lack of any real consequence
The biggest problem I had with Skyrim is that all the quests feel too similar. Now, that might be because I spent the majority of my time doing too many side quests and not enough of the 'big ticket' ones, but the sameness of the quests I did drove me to push through the main questline and 'finish' it.

Thieves Guild

The thing with Skyrim that bugs me is the lack of any real consequence, although to be fair, do I want consequence for my actions in a game that is 100-200 hours worth of gameplay that locks me out from whole areas and forces me to replay?

Not so sure.

Yeah I haven't even been to that city.

And I totally agree with that. It's ridiculous you can be the head of the Dark Brotherhood and then go and join the Companions with no questions asked. Those two things should not be compatible.

Also I don't like that there doesn't seem to be that many dialogue options. Maybe it's just that I grew up playing Bioware RPGs where I could up my speech and talk my way out of anything, but in Skyrim persuade and intimidation seems pretty uncommon. Maybe it's just because I haven't used it enough.

you passed up going to GDC?

Seriously?

yep. for free too! do you not read my posts choc? i mentioned this a few times about 2-3 weeks ago when i was deciding on real-world experience coding or going to gdc and studying for another 9 months (+gdc)

edit: in the end it was real world experience + money then going to gdc next year on my own dime.

Top Bottom