• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I Can't pick a top 5, but I can list a handful of games that could all be argued to be placed in it if I wanted to narrow my top 10 down to a top 5.

Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
Tales of Symphonia
NBA JAM
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Monkey Ball
Lylat Wars
Mortal Kombat 2

there are a few more I'm missing

point of interest:

other than the first two and sonic, I have not played the remake or sequels of any of the others (bar an hour or two with starfox adventures, and I hired Mortal Kombat 4 once).

hamchan

I can't make a serious list because there are too many choices. Here is a list of games that came into my mind first that I like a lot though:

Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy Tactics

Deeku

Awww I should have checked my phone after my exam before leaving uni! EB said I could pick up SS.

No biggie, can't play it until Saturday night anyway!

jambo

Hey Jambo, wan't me to post some ini tweaks and mods for Skyrim? I also just set the day/night cycle to a proper 24 hours via a console command, so now it's more authentic, plus the stupid shadow movement is no more. God I love this game. btw, what sort of hardware do you have?

Oh god if you can fix the fucking shadow stuff that would be amazing, post away!

and my rig is

Core i7 870
2x GTS 570 in SLI
8GB DDR3
P55 mobo
HP lp3065 @ 2560x1600

Shaneus

real-time edit #2: what are ausgaf's top 5 favourite games, out of interest?
Hm.

PGR4
Star Control 2
Lumines Live
Outrun 2
Rez

Very, very "instant reflex" list. The more I'd think about it the more I'd change, but the less you think about it the more likely you are to come up with your genuine favourites. ie. this list took about 5 mins, but PGR4 and SC2 came up almost instantly.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I want to quit my job, Travel and then kill myself. It sounds like a pretty good plan at this point in time.

I do wish i wasn't so lost in life, That i actually had answers to the most basic questions I throw at myself.

Holy, Lets go to SK and drink wacky asian booze, hit on girls who can't understand us and eat food we think is bad.

Hit me up bro! (Also what folder do you put them in for Windows 7 install?)

So put these specific ini tweaks in the Skyrimpref.ini in MyGame/Skyrim. I just made a backup of the original ini and copied over everything with this. I get incredible distance on objects/enemies/ppl etc, way more than Ultra settings.

The 3 things that are bolded, make sure that they are fine for your setup. The res is at 1920x1080 (should be fine) but the d3ddevice will be your gpu series.

[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
iPreloadsizeLimit=262144000
fMasterFilePreLoadMB=320.0000
iNumHWThreads=4
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=0
iRadialBlurLevel=2
[Display]
fDefault1stPersonFOV=80.0000
fDefaultWorldFOV=80.0000
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=1
fInteriorShadowDistance=2000.0000
fShadowDistance=4000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=16
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=10000000.0000
fGamma=0.9600
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000
fDecalLOD1=1000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=2000.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODStartFade=3500.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=8
iMultiSample=8
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920

fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=10000000.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000000.0000
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
sD3DDevice="AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series"
bFXAAEnabled=0
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.1500
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iAdapter=0
iPresentInterval=0
iShadowFilter=4
bTransparencyMultisampling=1
bDrawShadows=1
iPresentInterval=0
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=1
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=0.6500
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=2
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=1
bGeneralSubtitles=1
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=1
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=750
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=4.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=0
fVal5=1.0000
uID5=0
fVal4=1.0000
uID4=0
fVal3=0.3500
uID3=94881
fVal2=0.6500
uID2=466532
fVal1=1.0000
uID1=554685
fVal0=0.6500
uID0=1007612
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=262144.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=32768.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=16384.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=9000.0000
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=125000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=300000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=90000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=40000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.50000
bShowLODInEditor=0
fBlockLoadDistanceLow=50000.0000
fBlockLoadDistance=125000.0000
fHighBlockLoadDistanceLow=50000.0000
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000
fEdgeThickness=10.0000
fPointSize=2.5000
[Trees]
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=1000
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=60
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=50.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=50.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=50.0000
fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=3
[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1
[BlurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0
[Water]
iWaterReflectHeight=1024
iWaterReflectWidth=1024
bUseWaterDisplacements=1
bUseWaterRefractions=1
bUseWaterReflections=1
bUseWaterDepth=1
[Papyrus]
iMinMemoryPageSize=100000
iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=4800000000

Alright so here are some of the mods I'm using. Instructions for installation will be in the description on the page, but most will either be in X://Steam/Steamapps/Common/Skyrim or Same thing but /Skyrim/Data

Taken from Skyrim PC thread, these are what I'm using.

Realistic Water Textures
Realistic Rain Ripples by isoku
Realistic Sun Glare by isoku
Realistic Smoke and Embers by isoku
Enhanced Night Skyrim

Detailed Faces v2
Detailed Bodies
Faster Horses (use 1.5x speed)

Alright, that should get you going. Oh and if you want to change the Day/Night time cycle to slower (I've set mine to take 24hours in realtime) let me know. Yes this will fix the constant shadow movement :)

Rezbit

Thanks Sutton, you the man :D

Gonna try out the ini first then chuck the mods in later. Faster horse sounds really useful actually lol.

Deeku

I enjoy pretty much everything I play so it's hard to pick:/ I'll just go with games I finished and continued playing for a long time afterwards.

FF tactics
Pokemon Blue
Wind Waker
Elevator Action
Super Mario World

List looks weird to me, I have so many many many more favourites!

Jintor

Anyone who was waiting for the PC version of Arkham City, my force-loaded Arkham City works on Steam. Yessssssss. Took four hours and a restart to download though.

Gazunta

Fuck, I forgot how much I loved Crackdown. But I don't think there's any game in my 5 that it could replace.

Give it place 0 then. Like, you know how movie lists don't bother listing Citizen Kane as #1 any more, because it's just a given that it's the best movie ever?

Anyone who doesn't have Crackdown in their top 5 hasn't played Crackdown.

Queue everyone posting "Yah I played it and it was OK I guess"

Shaneus

Give it place 0 then. Like, you know how movie lists don't bother listing Citizen Kane as #1 any more, because it's just a given that it's the best movie ever?

Anyone who doesn't have Crackdown in their top 5 hasn't played Crackdown.

Queue everyone posting "Yah I played it and it was OK I guess"
I've played it. I've played the second one. It didn't come to mind because there's little replayability once it's finished, whereas all the other ones I listed I can (and frequently do) come back to. As one-shot games go, though, it's definitely at the top.

hamchan

For FFT, is it ok to go straight to the PSP version? That's just an updated version of the original, right?

Yep, it's an enhanced port of the original. There's slowdown in the game that wasn't in the original version. I'd still play it over the PS1 version because they did add a bunch of stuff.

Deeku

Yeah, they added a few bits and pieces to it and some cut scene stuff. I think there's even an iphone version, don't know how that is though.

teekun

For FFT, is it ok to go straight to the PSP version? That's just an updated version of the original, right?

The script has been completely rewritten and is a fantastic translation instead of the unintelligible mess that was the original. The only downside is that the port has some slowdown but it wasn't enough to ruin it for me.

Mistle

Probably off-topic to whatever is going on in here, but I have my copy of Zelda from JB! GAME/EB broke the street date I think just this afternoon. When I rang JB he said he can't sell it to me, but after I told him about the other stores, he went and talked to the manager, came back and said "yep, come pick it up! only if you have a preorder though".

So there's that. Skyward Sword get!

Gee, how would I even begin to choose a top 5? Well, let's try, in no particular order. They'll all be games I feel I could replay after having finished them.

Super Metroid
A Link to the Past
Fallout
Left 4 Dead 2
Red Dead Redemption
Super Mario World
Pirates!
Day of the Tentacle

Gazunta

You know, thinking about it, I'm inclined to swap Rainbow Islands for Yoshi's Island. Now that was a video game that wasn't afraid to be a video game, AND the graphics were so gorgeous. Like Rainbow Islands, it was relentlessly cute and colourful and positive.

Plus it looked like the whole world was drawn in crayon, which was such a left-field thing to do.

It inspired me to make my Game Boy HQ site (the first site on the internet devoted to Game Boy coverage, holy crap I'm old) entirely out of crayon. I hand drew all the logos, headers, borders etc in crayon on paper and scanned it in on a God-awful slow scanner connected to my PC's parallel port. Have I mentioned I'm old yet. It was beautiful to look at.

No wonder so many people were pissed I sold the site to GameSpot and they totally ditched the crayon look. It was pretty much the only real mistake in my career that I actually regret.

Fogz

I think I'll base my list on games I've played multiple times and will play them again multiple times

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
Final Fantasy VIII
Curse of Monkey Island
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zork: Grand Inquisitor

MrSerrels

You know, thinking about it, I'm inclined to swap Rainbow Islands for Yoshi's Island. Now that was a video game that wasn't afraid to be a video game, AND the graphics were so gorgeous. Like Rainbow Islands, it was relentlessly cute and colourful and positive.

Plus it looked like the whole world was drawn in crayon, which was such a left-field thing to do.

It inspired me to make my Game Boy HQ site (the first site on the internet devoted to Game Boy coverage, holy crap I'm old) entirely out of crayon. I hand drew all the logos, headers, borders etc in crayon on paper and scanned it in on a God-awful slow scanner connected to my PC's parallel port. Have I mentioned I'm old yet. It was beautiful to look at.

No wonder so many people were pissed I sold the site to GameSpot and they totally ditched the crayon look. It was pretty much the only real mistake in my career that I actually regret.

Yoshi's Island is so in my top 10. And Red Dead Redemption may be my favourite game this generation now that I think about it Codswallop.

markot

Banned
I love how on Zune you can buy HD video for Xbox. BUT NOT FOR PC..........

AND STILL ZUNE POINTS WTF MICROSOFT? DO YOU WANT APPLE TO MAKE YOU THEIR BITCH FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER?!

Yagharek

I tried to finish FF8 in a weekend rental. I think thats why I dislike it - random encounters slowed me down and I never got to grips with junction stuff in the short time.

I got up to disc 3 I think, a few hours into it.

Kritz

Banned
So I made this:

The AusGAF Game Rankings Spreadsheet

A list of all games released this generation (2005-2011) for all platforms. If you want, go in and fill out your rankings for games you've played. Rankings are really your own opinion on the game, not necessarily the actual quality of the game. So I might give Saint's Row 1 a 4/5, when it's probably more deserving of a 2 or something.

It's editable to anyone, so try not to ctrl+a ctrl+x it.

There are a lot of duplicate game names because a game may have been released for 360 and then later ported to phones, wii, pc or whatever. If you see a duplicate name, right click the row number and delete that single row.

Have fun. If enough people do it I'll make some interesting graphs and shit later if y'all want.

Yagharek

Someone needs to call every EB in Sydney and see if they have someone outside taking photos and angrily pacing back and forth each time Zelda is sold.

jambo

Gawd, top 5 games.

Umm

1. Half-Life
2. Unreal Tournament
3. RollerCoaster Tycoon
4. Need for Speed High Stakes
5. GTA San Andreas

While I was typing it up I thought of like 25 games that would all deserve a top 5 spot. I hate lists.

Ok top 5:

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Tetris (Game Boy version)

There is a good chance Skyrim will be in there eventually but too soon yet!

jambo

Out of those top 5 games, Half-Life and UT were probably played for over 3,000 hours each over the years. The number of mods and mutators that were floating around the web back in the late 90s and early 00s was just fucking crazy!

Top Bottom