• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Edmund's not playing badly given the ranking disparity. Might have decent future in the top 50 ahead of him, at least.

He runs around his backhand too much, though, or at least doesn't have the confidence in it.

That's pretty great, didn't know Nadal was using it. The Babolat Play racquets are still a little bit too expensive (300 Euros here for a Pure Drive, and it was 400€ until recently), but in a few years, I bet a majority of the models will have some kind of tracking tech implemented. It's really fun to have stats on your game.

I recently tried this device from Artengo, which has the particularity to adapt to any racquet. Some stats can be useful to adjust a few things. Unfortunately, the device is a little bit too heavy. The Babolat Play models have the same weight as standard models, so that's better in my book.

The two problems I see are, at least for the time being, that stats are not that detailed (you can't have things like shot placement, 1st serve percentage, successful net approaches, hell, even errors, which are all too difficult to accurately track) and you don't have a way to know how accurate the stats you have really are.

Just wait until they combine it with the chair umpire scoring and hawkeye systems...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Too many of the young players have bad RoS; it's really quite noticeable. Surprised there aren't really any good returners coming up considering how successful Djokovic, Murray et al are.

Sloane's attitude and game continue to get worse. She should consider quitting tennis for a couple of years and then make a decision on whether or not she wants to come back. I think she may be happier just playing tournaments for fun.

Vaddon

Shame about Watson, she looks awful and her opponent is dominating now. Hard to watch. Must be disappointing after her run up to the slam.

Vaddon

That sucks. She ran through that tournament though without dropping a set, so I didn't think she'd be too tired

Yeah, she also received treatment about halfway through the first set. The commentators said she was suffering from blurred vision and nausea so her game might have suffered. I'm not entirely sure, a shame though.

Anyway, a good start for Ward against Verdasco.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Ward wins. He's worked so hard for this, he really deserves to make it into the top 100.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Great stuff from Ward, he has come out swinging. Hope he keeps this up.

Edit: And there goes Fognini.

Fognini is such a clown.

Edit: Kudla has had some nice points.

" Victoria Chiesa @vrcsports

Dominika Cibulkova is defending 43% of her current ranking points at this tournament. Down a set to Flipkens. #ausopen"

Yikes lol.

Niraj

I find it impressive that he manages to stay in the top 20, the way he let matches slip. But hey, we need some Fogninis to keep the Tour fun.

When I was at the Cincinnati Masters over the summer, I was explaining to my brother and his girlfriend what an idiot he tends to be. When we went to his match just to see what was going on, he was getting a rubdown after losing the first set 6-1 to Raonic in like 20 minutes or something absurd and the crowd was booing him (assumedly because he didn't try very much at all). Then he lost the second 6-0. My brother just turns to me and says "I understand now" lol

Edit: Too bad for Kudla.

Tough result for Kudla. He was serving for the match and got broken, then lost the match

edit: Townsend can't volley to save her life. Otherwise she has a good game

edit: Isner through in straight sets. Only 1 tiebreak

MIMIC

Banned
BREAKING NEWS

Dke2Efo.jpg

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Berna...Until-He-Wins-a-Grand-Slam-articolo22003.html

Niraj

Potentially another German woman about to get knocked out. Petkovic down 3-0 in the third after serving for the match in the second, getting broken, and losing the subsequent tiebreak.

Niraj

Petkovic grabs the break back. Back on serve.

Edit: and broken right back

Edit2: and Brengle broken back. Wonder if somebody will hold soon.

Edit3: Nope.

Edit4: Yup. Petkovic out too.

MIMIC

Banned
Venus's serve is still (kinda) there, and her strokes are still (kinda) there, but her lateral movement right now is really poor. Really, REALLY poor. She used to be one of the best movers on the tour, and it's so sad to see how much she has declined due to age/illness. And because of that, it is very unlikely that she'll ever make another deep slam run.

Humidex

Jesus, the seeds are falling on the women's tournament once more. In a way I'm surprised that Caro actually managed to win!

Milos winning in straight sets? That'll do for now...

I thought Lauren Davis looked young, but the girl she's playing, Krunic, looks 12.

Krunic is actually 21 btw
Lauren doesn't look that young....

Hate how Directv is not supported on Watchespn and the Directv mix channels are done for the day. I will not go back to ad and pop up infested sport streams....

Pleased Hewitt won

Loving that Monfils seemed to have Ass Mode activated for 2 sets, but he's been in God mode since then and won the next 2 sets. Carna Monfils!!

Did Raonic only break once?

I still think Pospisil has more potential than Raonic even though Raonic is the higher-ranked player right now. They're both 24.

Man there are a lot of Aussies playing singles and doubles matches today. Sorry work, priorities and all that. I won't be getting much done today :)

So tempted to drive in and get an outside court ticket today...

So I'm flicking through today's results and check out the names from the women's 3 completed matches and 3 live matches....

s7dl8WI.gif

I think I'm a little OVA some of those names, LOL.

LuuKyK

What a disastrous set from Maria. It was so bad it was funny. She was trying to ball bash it didn't work, then she starting pushing harder than Carolina La Borzniacka and Panova started smacking winners. Then she double faulted. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom