• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit we are actually have a fedal and a Williams sisters final this is amazing. I feel happier for Venus making the finals though, and it'll be great if she can final a way to win.

RootCause

tumblr_nlxbvbtr0D1tu0hbzo1_500.gif
Dunno. I think a Goku gif would've been better suited to represent Nadal's power level.

:p

clemenx

Banned
Not gonna get in goat debates but even if Nole and Rafa pass him in slams which is very possible they still aren't greater than Fed.

Sucks for Grigor but he had it. He squandered the 1st tiebreak and that 15-40 in the 5th set is unnaceptable.

JBwB

History being made folks. This will probably be the last time they will ever face each other in a final!

It's going to be amazing regardless of who wins!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Williams and Fedal finals?

There was some Illuminati shit going on behind the scenes, I tell you.

Jimrpg

Wow, huge final coming up. If Federer wins, that would give him 18 to Nadal's 14, but if Nadal wins it will be 15 to Federer's 17. It will change the legacy of both players. I expect Nadal to win, but I'm more of a Federer fan so I will root for him. Exciting game for sure. And and very happy for both.

The history riding on this one match is insane.

Great match. I'm just happy Nadal is back playing tennis close to a top level again. He's the reason I watch tennis.

Now for the 15th GS on Sunday. Federer can't stop us

Xun

I like Federer a lot, but as a tennis fan around here it would be a lot less sufferable if Nadal won.

It'll certainly be an interesting match either way.

The history riding on this one match is insane.

Yea, GOAT debates are fun and the point of contention for Federer will be that Nadal has always had his number. As a Fed fan I'll be rooting for him this Sunday, but it's tiresome to see him lose the exact same way everytime. Anyone thinking rest will be a factor for Rafa is fooling themselves, the guy is a machine.

this final possibly has the highest stakes of any GS final ever played. If Fed wins he absolutely solidifies himself as the GOAT and it makes it almost impossible for Nadal or Djokovic to catch him.

If Nadal wins he gets within 2 of Fed and with his form will definitely challenge for the French this year. That could bring him within one and greatly increase his claim as the GOAT.

That plus it is almost certainly going to be the last time these 2 meet in a GS final.

Regardless of the result this is a historic match. Whilst there have been many nail biters and disappointments for Fed over the last few years none of them have made me feel this anxious.

Can't wait!

JBwB

I'll be rooting for Federer but Nadal is the one who's most likely to win. Historically it's always been a bad match up for him.

Come on Fed!

Lol your posts are too much, so silly. I want Fed to win as much as anyone else, probably more, but Fed has to beat this man in a final again. He has to do it, for himself, for his psyche, to quiet the critics.

As well as the Nadal fans.

spuckthew

I'll be rooting for Nadal because he's my favourite, but I honestly won't mind if Federer wins as long as the match is exciting.

If Federer wins and it's a stomp I'll be pissed. If Nadal wins and it's a stomp I'll be glad Nadal won but salty that I got up so early to watch a boring match.

raven777

I actually cannot believe we are getting another Fedal Grand Slam final.... I thought it would never happen again lol.

Hope Nadal wins it.

miserable

So , so happy that Rafa won! a Fedal GS final is special, might be the last time we see it.

I'm a Nadal fan, but if Federer wins that's fine. They are both legends.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I can't remember the last time I've been this happy setting my alarm for 3 in the morning.

Can't wait! Rooting for Rafa as always :)

squid

So awesome to have a Federer/Nadal final again after all this time and against all expectation.

Would really love to see Federer win one last slam, especially since he may not have another chance come up. But either way I'm happy really, Nadal is a legend too. It'll just be awesome to see these guys playing each other in a final again.

weekev

Banned
So have we gone back in time and it's 2008 again? Williams sisters AND Fedal final. I remember when such a thing would have been boring and predictable. Now it's gonna be awesome!

JBwB

So have we gone back in time and it's 2008 again? Williams sisters AND Fedal final. I remember when such a thing would have been boring and predictable. Now it's gonna be awesome!

Predictable? Sure.
Boring? Hell no! Their matches were always entertaining.

raven777

I thought 2008 Wimbledon final between those two was considered one of the greatest match of all time?

Dommo

Between Serena/Venus and Federer/Nadal, this tournament has ended up looking like a lazily booked Wrestlemania where Vince McMahon is too afraid of new talent so he rides out nostalgia and old favourites to get the cheap pops.

That isn't to say I'm not super giddy for Federer/Nadal one last time.

jett

D-Member
this final possibly has the highest stakes of any GS final ever played. If Fed wins he absolutely solidifies himself as the GOAT and it makes it almost impossible for Nadal or Djokovic to catch him.

If Nadal wins he gets within 2 of Fed and with his form will definitely challenge for the French this year. That could bring him within one and greatly increase his claim as the GOAT.

That plus it is almost certainly going to be the last time these 2 meet in a GS final.

Regardless of the result this is a historic match. Whilst there have been many nail biters and disappointments for Fed over the last few years none of them have made me feel this anxious.

Can't wait!

8cd06a1e9863595ba76ee9932fc4a164.jpg

Deku Tree

I love Fed. But Nadal is clearly the better Tennis player.

Fed has more Grand Slams sure, but he won almost all of them in a era with extremely weak competition. Once Nadal and Djovic showed up Fed basically stopped winning.

Yes Fed was older at that point... that's really the only argument that Fed fans can make... Feder was already Olderer.

Diamond

I love Fed. But Nadal is clearly the better Tennis player.

Fed has more Grand Slams sure, but he won almost all of them in a era with extremely weak competition. Once Nadal and Djovic showed up Fed basically stopped winning.

Yes Fed was older at that point... that's really the only argument that Fed fans can make... Feder was already Olderer.

The same argument can be made against Rafa. Weak competition, especially on clay where he has most of his titles.

For the record that's not what I think, these are two enormous champions with different profiles and qualities. I really don't know who I'd put ahead of the other.

In any case that's crazy to see them back in the final, especially given what happened recently in their careers.

I have no idea what to expect for the rest of 2017. Murray and Djokovic should bounce back, but considering they both went out when no expected, something is affecting their games.

And for Federer and Nadal to start the year like this, it's hard to tell if they are about to burn out or have a great year ahead of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom