• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anything Cinemascore should raise anything, though. It's a useless metric for the most part.
If it's an A- or an A, it can probably go either way. B+ or lower and that's simply not good for this type of film. Spider-Man 3 got a B+ and that was the first indicator that it was going to have some big time drops.

The Force Awakens was at $72M overseas after 2 days, and went on to make $280M overseas for its first weekend (including the Wed/Thurs gross).

BvS has China's Friday opening, so at least $200M overseas this weekend seems like a safe bet.
It's sounding like the Chinese total will be able to reach $120M off its $20M OD. Solid, but not an enormous gross. It may have to hold well in other countries to comfortably cross $1B.

gamz

The Force Awakens was at $72M overseas after 2 days, and went on to make $280M overseas for its first weekend (including the Wed/Thurs gross).

BvS has China's Friday opening, so at least $200M overseas this weekend seems like a safe bet.

Same amount of territories? UK and China open today.

Azerth

i think this movie is going drop hard maybe not this weekend but next weekend. word of mouth is going to hurt this one

If it's an A- or an A, it can probably go either way. B+ or lower and that's simply not good for this type of film. Spider-Man 3 got a B+ and that was the first indicator that it was going to have some big time drops.

It's not really an indicator of anything, as people have pointed out via multiple examples in this thread.

It's unreliable as a predictor. It seems to mostly exist to add another bullet point to a poster or TV spot in the post-release marketing.

You notice it beat Avengers and Jurassic World right? It's not guaranteed 200Mil but the possibility is there.

If it's there, it's about as large as Ray Fisher's cameo.

gamz

i think this movie is going drop hard maybe not this weekend but next weekend. word of mouth is going to hurt this one

Doesn't really matter. Even if it follows MOS it's still going to bank. Most of these blockbusters are front loaded anyway. Avengers Ultron dropped 60%.

It's rare for any of these movies to truly have legs like Star Wars or Avatar.

kswiston

A lot of big films didn't have the benefit of a simultaneous Worldwide release. However, looking over the top WW openings on BOM, the lowest WW total for a film that opened to over $300M WW was $830M for the last Twilight film. The lowest WW total for a $350M+ opener is $890M for Spider-man 3 (off of a $370M opening).

I think BvS will open closer to $400M worldwide, unless the $160-180M range we are throwing around for the domestic take is too high.

Same amount of territories? UK and China open today.

More or less comparable minus China. TFA might have also been a Thursday release in the UK. I don't remember.

gamz

A lot of big films didn't have the benefit of a simultaneous Worldwide release. However, looking over the top WW openings on BOM, the lowest WW total for a film that opened to over $300M WW was $830M for the last Twilight film. The lowest WW total for a $350M+ opener is $890M for Spider-man 3 (off of a $370M opening).

I think BvS will open closer to $400M worldwide, unless the $160-180M range we are throwing around for the domestic take is too high.

That seems about right. I'm really curious about WOM this weekend, because I have no idea where it lands in the 160-180M range?

From what I've been seeing on twitter and various sites it seems like a audience pleaser. Who knows!

kswiston

It's sounding like the Chinese total will be able to reach $120M off its $20M OD. Solid, but not an enormous gross. It may have to hold well in other countries to comfortably cross $1B.

It's hard to tell until we get the full weekend numbers. Grosses in Europe and Australia look pretty good. Ditto for Latin America and Asia. I think that Domestic + China will have to be around $500M for that $1B mark to be reasonably assured.

The $800M breakeven mark will happen.

Pachinko

So midnight/thursday screenings are about 28 million , that means at best , friday could end up with 2X that , a similar number for saturday and sunday.

So best case scenario is maybe around 196 million dollars.

However, that ratio , which is based roughly on Avengers 2 last year, assumes people generally liked the film. In BvS case, I'm reasonably sure that for the most part they do not like the film. Which means on top of poor critical reception, you've got poor fan reception. So what I'm getting at is that the big nerds that like opening weekend viewing , they went on wednesday night and thursday night. The general public will probably go today and by saturday /sunday there will be a sharp decline thanks to word of mouth from all the viewers on wednesday through to today.

So , we can still probably have 28 + 56 million by tomorrow morning but saturday ... might drop down to 40 million and that might turn into 30 million on sunday. Next weekend will probably be a 65% drop. So my actual guess is anywhere between 150 million and 175 million this weekend. Then 50-70 million for week 2 and probably 50-70 million for week 3-6 combined and maybe 50 million for the rest of the domestic run. This films success then will be determined in much the same way as a transformers disaster - foreign box office needs to be extremely high. If my guesswork above is at all correct , you might see the final domestic take being 300 - 350 million, that's probably a best case scenario really. Had the movie been phenomenally good instead of mediocre (at best) it might have done 500 million but there's a ceiling on it thanks to Man of Steel also not being that great.

So for those looking forward to a similar Justice League film , well you all better hope it does at least 1 billion world wide.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
huh.

I mean, the argument was that he wants more value for his money than just "eh."

I don't know what your Burger King ordering habits have to do with that.

I don't know his financial situation, but acting like 12 dollars is a lot of money is weird to me when value meals at BK are almost that much. Just weird to me is all, but I recognize his financials might be similar to mine when I was in college and I had to plan out all of my discretionary spending.

I don't know his financial situation, but acting like 12 dollars is a lot of money is weird to me

He's not acting like 12 dollars is a lot of money. He's saying he'd like more return on his 12 dollars than just "eh."

You don't have to know his financial situation to understand what he's saying.

I can blow 12 dollars on some dumb bullshit without worrying about its financial impact on my well being. Doesn't mean I'm looking to do it anytime soon, either. Because wasting time and money still sucks, even in small increments.

A 12 dollar piece of shit is still a piece of shit. It doesn't stink less because it was only 12 bucks. And even if I can buy a hundred pieces of shit tomorrow without it negatively impacting my bottom line doesn't mean dropping a tenner on a turd was a smart call.

Neoxon

If word-of-mouth ends up being as negative as the reviews (or close to it), I'd expect this movie's box office returns to be a bit front-loaded.

Exokell

Banned
Majority of transformer movies are dogshit and it made lots of money, I wouldnt be surprised if this movie makes alot of money too.

gamz

More or less comparable minus China. TFA might have also been a Thursday release in the UK. I don't remember.

China just reported 21M. 65m total overseas and climbing.

I personally think the reviews are bandwagoning. I genuinely enjoyed the film.

My audience seemed reasonably happy with it. Wonder Woman drew applause when she appeared in costume.

onipex

Majority of transformer movies are dogshit and it made lots of money, I wouldnt be surprised if this movie makes alot of money too.

Many people ignore reviews because they end up liking movies that had bad reviews. I skipped movies in the past that had bad reviews only to end up enjoying those films when I got around to watching them on cable.

When going back and looking at some of those badly reviewed movies they complain about things I'm not even thinking about while watching the movie. When I watched movies again with the complaints that critics have in mind I often see those same flaws in movies that the same critic praises. Then there are movies that the critics review well in the same genre that I can't stand. In the end I just ignore their reviews and anything anyone else feels about the films and go watch what I think I'll enjoy.

Zetta

I haven't heard a single good thing about this movie, still going to see it since the tickets are already bought. WB had one job with this movie and I'm getting the feeling that they failed miserably.

I haven't heard a single good thing about this movie, still going to see it since the tickets are already bought. WB had one job with this movie and I'm getting the feeling that they failed miserably.
Not to defend the movie, but if the job your referring to is "make a good movie," that's a pretty difficult job.

rokero

it has flaws but it's not the ultimate evil some make it out to be

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Word of mouth won't mean anything for a mixed movie like this.
This is not a kid friendly movie. That's what'll pull down its numbers.

Zetta

I'm going with low expectations to this one, its just that after seeing one of the best comic movies "Deadpool" this doesn't look as appealing and it sucks. My favorite comic book hero is Superman and I would have wish for a MOS 2 movie before this.

Ahasverus

Everyone's watching this movie despite reviews, as we, in the back of our heads, will always think "it couldn't be that bad, right? that's impossible to mess up". The Onion article was very, very on point.

I personally think the reviews are bandwagoning. I genuinely enjoyed the film.

My audience seemed reasonably happy with it. Wonder Woman drew applause when she appeared in costume.
My audience cheered and clapped for a good 2 minutes when she finally donned the costume. I immediately thought of GAF. "It's true, we really do clap for everything. =("

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that they have to make money on a $250m production budget plus the distribution/advertising budget AND make money on all the derivative projects that are too late to cancel.

I felt this way, fearing a "Green Lantern" experience. I ended up quite enjoying it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My audience cheered and clapped for a good 2 minutes when she finally donned the costume. I immediately thought of GAF. "It's true, we really do clap for everything. =("

WW build up + reveal was one of the best parts of the movie

we all clapped like real Americans

a916

Then you're living under a rock because many reviewers that had luke warm reaction to the movie praised Affleck...

Poona

The power of Batman. Even I kind of want to watch it just for him alone.

Watch it then. I had to see this film being the first time Superman and Batman were on screen together.

What I loved most was Wonder Woman though. Just found her the most exciting. I'm also a fan of her outside the film though, so that may have some effect but I've heard a lot of audiences loved her in it.

Whilst other Batman films have their strong points, I do think Ben Affleck is probably best Batman/Bruce Wayne now too, as this really shows off his technology and his great fighting ability.

Deadpool?

Deadpool is a mediocre movie but it's actually fun to sit through and have a few laughs

This i hear, no matter if it's a better movie or worse, is being called boring and has uneven pacing apparently

Movies like that don't get great word of mouth. Anyways I'm tired of being in the dark about this. Finally seeing it in 2 hours

pestul

I enjoyed it but there was no clapping at my screening up here in Canadaland. Guys behind us were laughing at some of the bad scenes. I think WOM will be mixed. This weekend should still be >$170M overall domestically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom