• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

I hope it beat TFA opening just so that Zack Snyder can come out and say "See, critics doesn't matter. DC fans know quality superhero movie."

3N16MA

Banned
This is hitting 1B despite the reviews (I would be shocked if it didn't). If it pulls 400M DOM I can't see how it missed 600M OS. I expect the OS % of the total gross to increase from MoS.

This is hitting 1B despite the reviews (I would be shocked if it didn't). If it pulls 400M DOM I can't see how it missed 600M OS. I expect the OS % of the total gross to increase from MoS.

It's not hitting $400mil domestic, and it would be even harder to hit $600mil overseas unless it over-performs in China.

There's something very righteous about it just beating out Age of Ultron.

Fuck that soulless, algorithmic cash-grab. Civil War will be the real Avengers 2.

3N16MA

Banned
It's not hitting $400mil domestic, and it would be even harder to hit $600mil overseas unless it over-performs in China.

It gets close to 400M (385M) with MoS legs (included the Thursday previews in its OW) and a 170M OW. OS contributions to the overall gross are only increasing. I don't see it having a smaller % than MoS.

I know Cinemascores are rather controversial, but the one for BvS is here, and I got a bit of a kick out of it

GSio58S.jpg

The same CS as Green Lantern. :lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Still sitting in the cinema.

Liked it.

Glad you did. All the negativity of the reviews had me feeling like I should have wanted to dislike it, but I can't help but feel more positivity towards the movie the more I let some of the scenes and concepts burn into my mind. As I have mentioned before, a lot can be fixed by the extended cut, but the bones are definitely there to a great movie, including some awesome characters and portrayals and awesome set pieces and action sequences.

kswiston

80-85M would be a decent Friday (plus previews) take.

Subtracting Previews, Furious 7 made $51.6M on its first Friday. Taking the low end estimate, BvS would end up with about $53M on Friday proper. Using the same drops as Furious 7, you get $163M for the weekend.

Using the $85M Friday, you would get $173M for the weekend

Tomorrow's gonna be interesting. Curious to see if today's viral fun and solidifying narrative that the film is not very good will have any impact. I don't think it will, but the possibility is still there, however slight.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Tomorrow's gonna be interesting. Curious to see if today's viral fun and solidifying narrative that the film is not very good will have any impact. I don't think it will, but the possibility is still there, however slight.

WoM seems decent, so who knows if the bad reviews will sink this one. Anyone paying attention was never expecting roses and sunshine, a la the main MCU films, so I think hearing that this is a really dark film wont kill a lot of the buzz.

Tomorrow's drop seems destined to be over 40%. Subtracting out midnights/previews, Furious 7 dropped about 10% and the second biggest Good Friday opener, Clash of the Titans, dropped about 13%. The preview number for BvS is so big that it's not going to have a favorable looking decline for the uninformed.

Tomorrow's drop seems destined to be over 40%. Subtracting out midnights/previews, Furious 7 dropped about 10% and the second biggest Good Friday opener, Clash of the Titans, dropped about 13%. The preview number for BvS is so big that it's not going to have a favorable looking decline for the uninformed.

Yeah, if it ends up actually being 80, subtract the 27, we got what, 53?

That means Saturday should, if you're WB, hopefully end up somewhere around 49-51. Well, hopefully higher, of course.

element

I have a feeling that Sunday could be a 50% drop due to Easter. Between that and my Facebook feed is full of 'comic fans' who are just not interested. These are the people that go to anything pop-culture and they have no plans to see this. My prediction was $163m during opening weekend.

Next weekend will be the true test. I think it will have a 70% or higher drop. By 3rd weekend, it wouldn't shock me if Zootopia beats it even though it will be five weeks old by then.

It's pretty wild how much it seems like people want this movie to do poorly. It's not great, but it's not terrible. I almost feel bad for DC.

Don't feel bad for them, they made their bed. Feel bad for their fans, those poor guys were hyped as fuck finally getting to see the Big 3 on screen and WB gave them this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If this movie performs well, the DCU movies are all going forward with this level of "care". These characters will forever be locked into some vapid brainless juggernaut of a movie franchise, and it may even come to define these characters for future generations...much like Transformers.

munchie64

If this movie performs well, the DCU movies are all going forward with this level of "care". These characters will forever be locked into some vapid brainless juggernaut of a movie franchise, and it may even come to define these characters for future generations...much like Transformers.
Not necessarily. Just because they don't hit the panic button and wipe the slate clean doesn't mean they'll do nothing. That's why I want this movie to do OK, but still not enough so that they still get the message that people are upset. Probably wishful thinking though.

3N16MA

Banned

These characters will all have solo films without Snyder or Goyer having any large influence (Goyer already seems done). It won't be Transformers where Bay and crew pump out every film and control everything. These directors and writers will have more influence on these characters with solo films. Affleck looks locked to direct at least one solo Batman film.

Even if this hits 1B WW I don't see a reason why WB needs to keep Snyder on beyond JL. Many directors can take Batman and Superman and pump out a film that grosses 1B. If the films outside of Snyder's reach do well with critics and at the box office while Snyder continues to falter, WB can easily go with another director.

Toothless

Wonder if the LEGO Batman Movie could break 100M next year, despite being animated. If this can make 170M+ with poor reviews, one actually appealing to families with presumably good reviews should do really well, right?

BigDug13

It's pretty wild how much it seems like people want this movie to do poorly. It's not great, but it's not terrible. I almost feel bad for DC.

If it fails, they're hoping Snyder gets pulled from Justice League. If it performs well, then Snyder is free to provide another steaming pile of crap for the next DC movie.

Bad movies shouldn't be successful because it gives the impression that we are ok watching crap.

Don't feel bad for them, they made their bed. Feel bad for their fans, those poor guys were hyped as fuck finally getting to see the Big 3 on screen and WB gave them this.

it delivered all my expectations for the movie and im seeing it again monday since my cousin is back from Dubai fro the holidays. Also my facebook is filled with people that liked the movie.

Blablurn

I Kinda wanna see it again

Saw it in a Chinese imax at 10am. Was half full I think. My Chinese buddy said he didn't like it all that much. Said he was looking forward to captain America 3 though lol

But I'm still digging batman vs superman. Just went through the spoiler thread. Interesting to see all the opinions. Definitely no train wreck as the media made it out to be.

Which makes me wonder...

Could this have been orchestrated? Maybe a lil? Probably not, but calling it a disaster is too much.

Ploid 3.0

I went ahead and watched a spoiler review to make sure, and I still don't feel like I got spoiled because I didn't really understand much (angry joe spoiler review). I will still watch it for the visuals or something.

Gastone

I thought the film was entertaining, but like with most of Snyders films, it has its problems, mainly related to pacing, scene transitions and what not. Fantastic action scenes, and especially that
Batman fight scene where he rescues Supes mother
was better than any attempt Nolan ever did with a Batman fighting scene.

And fuck me, i like the dark, gritty and depressing tone of the movie. I adore that in films.
I hope it does well enough at the box office, because i don't want Warner to stop making JL/Batman/Superman etc films...i don't think anybody wants that. I would, however, like to see them hire other, more competent directors than Snyder.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I Kinda wanna see it again

Saw it in a Chinese imax at 10am. Was half full I think. My Chinese buddy said he didn't like it all that much. Said he was looking forward to captain America 3 though lol

But I'm still digging batman vs superman. Just went through the spoiler thread. Interesting to see all the opinions. Definitely no train wreck as the media made it out to be.

Which makes me wonder...

Could this have been orchestrated? Maybe a lil? Probably not, but calling it a disaster is too much.

I don't think any of it is orchestrated. Who would profit from that? Marvel? They want this movie to do well because they'll be able to justify higher budgets for Marvel movies.

What is entirely possible though, is that this being one of the most anticipated movies in a long time, means many early online reviewers have more incentive to be slash audience expectations. Being one of the first negative reviewers is going to get you a lot of views.
Some people were breaking embargo and reviewers were being removed from RT.

General audience reception is lukewarm, but critics appear to be more negative. There are expectations that surrounded this movie, based on earlier DC properties that critics will have in the back of their minds as they watch the movie. There are also natural comparisons to Marvel properties and the superhero movie formulae they have established. Many of the earlier reviews were making points about how this was nothing like a Marvel movie, or lacked humour and other things that they saw now as part of what should be a standard for a comic book movie.

Shit, I liked this movie for what it was. Despite its flaws. I hope it does well, because I liked seeing my Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman team up. And I liked how Watchmen-ish it was. I'll rewatch it on bluray, and just not watch the last 30 minutes. But I would say that for most superhero movies.

Liamario

Banned
Glad you did. All the negativity of the reviews had me feeling like I should have wanted to dislike it, but I can't help but feel more positivity towards the movie the more I let some of the scenes and concepts burn into my mind. As I have mentioned before, a lot can be fixed by the extended cut, but the bones are definitely there to a great movie, including some awesome characters and portrayals and awesome set pieces and action sequences.

I'm the opposite-the more I think about it the worse it gets. There were some good moments, but they were diluted by the awful decisions leading up to them.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

I hope it does well but poor enough so that Snyder get's help with someone co-directing Justice League and after that getting pulled off as Director in the DCCU.
Don't get me wrong I don't want it to be the next Fant4stic as a failure, but WB needs to know that having Snyder as the creative mind (look at some of his explanation for what he did with the characters) and director of these two movies (BvS and JL) who is just making cool shots is a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom