• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprising at all it did huge numbers opening night and will probably do so opening weekend. The movie was always going to be profitable too many big brand name characters attached for it not to be, the question was at the end of the day just how profitable is it and will it give legs to the other non batflek DCU films or will they proceed to bomb/middling minus batflek.

there's some really cool shit in here, stuff that no other comic book movies are doing or likely ever will do.

but it's a damn boring mess too. a movie like this can't have legs or connect with audiences. in fact it kind of makes me not want to watch a justice league movie, i'm not excited for it at all and that's not a good sign for a film that is partly made to tease the future of the franchise. this is gonna drop hard next week.

i do however want to see a Superman Redeemed movie and certainly Batman's films.

Maximo

If it fails, they're hoping Snyder gets pulled from Justice League. If it performs well, then Snyder is free to provide another steaming pile of crap for the next DC movie.

Bad movies shouldn't be successful because it gives the impression that we are ok watching crap.

^^^ Yep Justice League animated is a perfect source to pull from, not this Snyder..thing.

akira28

its BVS. it should be doing triple digits its first weekend.

if it hadn't somehow been horribly killed during birth.

Timbuktu

Not surprising at all it did huge numbers opening night and will probably do so opening weekend. The movie was always going to be profitable too many big brand name characters attached for it not to be, the question was at the end of the day just how profitable is it and will it give legs to the other non batflek DCU films or will they proceed to bomb/middling minus batflek.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder thinks it only does big business because of him, he sounds like someone with that kind of ego.

There is honestly a great movie in there, I just don't see how to get it out.

cut plenty of scenes, throw a few in. editing editing editing

stuff that can't be fixed though is that lex luthor performance, superman and batman character flaws (which are intentional no doubt but pushed just a bit too far)

Bleepey

Will Word of mouth be good, on one hand people are trashing it, on another people are defending it. It's a coin toss at this point.

EGM1966

It's gonna open well of course. Anywhere from $140 to $180 US and probably another $50 to $60 ROW (millions). Adding Batman, following the peak of Deadpool as next in that genre and lure of Batman fighting Superman is enough for a good opening even if film was 10% on RT and an mitigated piece of shit start to finish.

The question is, given it is a fairly joyless, medicine movie in general, how well it continues to play particularly ROW. MYself I think it'll make more than MoS in total but will stop comfortably short of $1 billion. And if that holds true and if the clear feedback is majority of non comic filmgoers didn't like the style of it (which I believe will be the case) I wonder how WB will react?

To make the big bucks comic book films have to pull in punters like me who don't really read comics or know the background. And my current view s BvS is going to register as a dud wth that demographic. The impact of a dud with general audiences is felt with the next instalment when they're forewarned and that's where my attention has already swung.

BvS will make money but it's not going to be viewed warmly in general like many other popular comic book films IMHO and that will have repercussions going forward.

Poona

It's gonna open well of course. Anywhere from $140 to $180 US and probably another $50 to $60 ROW (millions). Adding Batman, following the peak of Deadpool as next in that genre and lure of Batman fighting Superman is enough for a good opening even if film was 10% on RT and an mitigated piece of shit start to finish.

The question is, given it is a fairly joyless, medicine movie in general, how well it continues to play particularly ROW. MYself I think it'll make more than MoS in total but will stop comfortably short of $1 billion. And if that holds true and if the clear feedback is majority of non comic filmgoers didn't like the style of it (which I believe will be the case) I wonder how WB will react?

To make the big bucks comic book films have to pull in punters like me who don't really read comics or know the background. And my current view s BvS is going to register as a dud wth that demographic. The impact of a dud with general audiences is felt with the next instalment when they're forewarned and that's where my attention has already swung.

BvS will make money but it's not going to be viewed warmly in general like many other popular comic book films IMHO and that will have repercussions going forward.

Wonder Woman showed the most joy in the film, and she has her solo coming up after Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad looks like it's going to be a fun ride so those turned off by the 'joylessness' in BvS should be able to come back and check out those DC films.

Also whenever Superman shows himself again he may have gone through a rebirth on his personality after what happens at the end of BvS, so not everything needs to be bleak looking forward.

Wonder Woman showed the most joy in the film, and she has her solo coming up after Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad looks like it's going to be a fun ride so those turned off by the 'joylessness' in BvS should be able to come back and check out those DC films.

Also whenever Superman shows himself again he may have gone through a rebirth on his personality after what happens at the end of BvS, so not everything needs to be bleak looking forward.

that has to be a given at this point. unless snyder is THAT clueless. i feel like the major arc was
superman dealing with his god status and criticism and running away from it, and then realizing he had to face that burden. he'll rise from the grave less confused and more sure of himself finally

Poona

Are we expecting Civil War to pull these kinds of numbers?

I don't think so. I think anything could have been said about BvS and people would be interested in seeing it as it's the two biggest iconic heroes.

Civil War is just for those who have seen the previous marvel avenger films. Many of the characters in it only became known by the general public who decided to see these movies, yet Superman and Batman have been widely known the world over for many years.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I don't think so. I think anything could have been said about BvS and people would be interested in seeing it as it's the two biggest iconic heroes.

Civil War is just for those who have seen the previous marvel avenger films. Many of the characters in it only became known by the general public who decided to see these movies, yet Superman and Batman have been widely known the world over for many years.

Spider Man is bigger than Superman

Annecdotal but my local cinema was very underpopulated or it. Easter Friday and Opening day.

I really dont think it has the market appeal of any of the MCU. After the negative press I could see this doing badly overseas. Still 600M isn't an insane target for a AAA movie release

BUqziJk.jpg

Spiderman is insanely big and MCU is going from strenght to strenght. I wouldn't put it out the running yet

munchie64

lol wat? Avenger films have done quite well through them not needing the films that came before for the audience to understand. I see Civil War doing at least as good as Age of Ultron honestly, especially after the success of Cap 2.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

I think if Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman turn out to be more successful and well received then initially expected compared to BvS it will hopefully show WB that they should be more careful with their properties and how to handle them as opposed to just giving the reins to Snyder and let him do whatever he wants.

It still pisses me off, that 3-4 movies are crammed into BvS and Snyder comments on making the movie (Luther, Jimmy O., ...)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

This situation has made the critical and commercial reception of Suicide Squad a very interesting prospect, I'm very curious to see how that does. I think it could be a bit of a dark horse, and possibly 2016's GOTG.

This situation has made the critical and commercial reception of Suicide Squad a very interesting prospect, I'm very curious to see how that does. I think it could be a bit of a dark horse, and possibly 2016's GOTG.

I think Suicide Squad is trouble for a different reason, it might need a name change, the word suicide won't sit well, with all that is going on in the world today..

Measley

Uh, Spider-Man is going to be in a film with the Avengers. First appearance of Black Panther. Captain America and Iron Man beating the shit out of each other. Same directors from The Winter Soldier, which many consider one of the best Marvel films.

Civil War is going to be huge.

gamz

Except nobody beyond hardcore comic book fans knew what the hell GOTG was? It was so obscure and more of a uphill battle then SS.

But it's a interesting writer and director who seems passionate about the material and I'm pulling for it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Except nobody beyond hardcore comic book fans knew what the hell GOTG was? It was so obscure and more of a uphill battle then SS.

But it's a interesting writer and director who seems passionate about the material and I'm pulling for it.

I think I'm a pretty good yardstick for what average people would know of comics, having honestly never read one in my entire life, and I hadn't heard of SS or GOTG. The presence of The Joker, Batman and Harley probably won't hurt though.

gamz

I think I'm a pretty good yardstick for what average people would know of comics, having honestly never read one in my entire life, and I hadn't heard of SS or GOTG. The presence of The Joker, Batman and Harley probably won't hurt though.

The same. I read Watchmen because everyone raved about it and I didn't get it. Probably why it was a chore for me to get through the movie.

But, yeah, Joker being in SS is the only character I know.

Sulik2

Uh, Spider-Man is going to be in a film with the Avengers. First appearance of Black Panther. Captain America and Iron Man beating the shit out of each other. Same directors from The Winter Soldier, which many consider one of the best Marvel films.

Civil War is going to be huge.

Civil War will join the two billion club IMHO.

Spinluck

Marvel has Spider-Man in the film...

The last Cap film out grossed MoS, and the last Ironman out grossed TDKR.

And now they have Spider-Man, people severely underestimate the popularity of these Marvel heroes.

kswiston

I'd be happy to be wrong (if the film is good), but I don't see Civil War topping AoU's worldwide gross, much less $2B.

Did it? Where was the fanfare?

It took 7 weeks, and people had moved on to the next thing (other than the small group of us in Box Office GAF)

Civil War will join the two billion club IMHO.

No way. It's going to be huge and probably the biggest movie of the year but Star Wars had decades of build-up. I think Civil War is going to do Iron Man 3 numbers and if the reception is incredibly positive, it could get close to the Avengers films.

JaggedSac

If this movie performs well, the DCU movies are all going forward with this level of "care". These characters will forever be locked into some vapid brainless juggernaut of a movie franchise, and it may even come to define these characters for future generations...much like Transformers.

So comic books movies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom