• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

The schedule is clear for 4 weeks, it'll have decent legs even if the WOM was that Synder was going to come into random theaters to shit directly in some poor sods mouth.

Yeah, it's going to behave like a typical blockbuster. Front loaded and drops per week. The drops may be a bit greater tho. Like MOS.

kswiston

The schedule is clear for 4 weeks, it'll have decent legs even if the WOM was that Synder was going to come into random theaters to shit directly in some poor sods mouth.

The schedule won't stop a huge drop if WOM is poor. Age of Ultron had no competition in its second weekend, and still dropped close to 60% Hell, God's Not Dead 2 is probably a bigger film than Hot Pursuit was in AoU's second weekend last year.

gamz

The schedule won't stop a huge drop if WOM is poor. Age of Ultron had no competition in its second weekend, and still dropped close to 60% Hell, God's Not Dead 2 is probably a bigger film than Hot Pursuit was in AoU's second weekend last year.

Avengers dropped 50%.

gamz

He's talking about Age of Ultron though, which did drop 60%.

I know, but I'm just saying typical Blockbusters drop anywhere from 50-60%. It's just the law of averages is all.

It was just another example. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

kswiston

I know, but I'm just saying typical Blockbusters drop anywhere from 50-60%. It's just the law of averages is all.

It was just another example. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

Avengers and BvS are not getting similar audience responses.

gamz

Avengers and BvS are not getting similar audience responses.

I realize that. You can look to MOS and it's 64% drop at most. It has no comp next week, so I don't except a 70ish drop.

I mean it's not going to have Avengers legs for sure. It ain't making 600M of course.

I realize that. You can look to MOS and it's 64% drop at most. It has no comp next week, so I don't except a 70ish drop.

I mean it's not going to have Avengers legs for sure. It ain't making 600M of course.
I am guessing it will make back budget which was $250 million I think.

kswiston

I don't think a 70% drop is very likely either. Out of the comic films that opened over $50M, only Hulk 2003, Wolverine Origins, and Watchmen dropped close to 70%. Wolverine had Star Trek 09 open to $75M in its second weekend. Watchmen and Hulk don't have much of an excuse.

I might change my mind if Sat/Sun figures are terrible with relation to Friday, but right now, I am thinking 60-65% drop for next weekend.

gamz

I don't think a 70% drop is very likely either. Out of the comic films that opened over $50M, only Hulk 2003, Wolverine Origins, and Watchmen dropped close to 70%. Wolverine had Star Trek 09 open to $75M in its second weekend. Watchmen and Hulk don't have much of an excuse.

I might change my mind if Sat/Sun figures are terrible with relation to Friday, but right now, I am thinking 60-65% drop for next weekend.

Same. Godzilla did a 66% drop and that was really, really disappointing to most people.

gamz

So it looks like it's 78M for Friday. That means est are 160 now.

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya 39m39 minutes ago
About $78M opening day for #BatmanvsSuperman going to 160s for wknd. Official studio #s coming shortly.

$78M would be pretty poor for Friday. That's lower than Furious 7's Friday taking out previews for both films.

So that means it made 51 yesterday sans Thursday previews.

If today winds up anywhere south of 45, they might have problems. Affleck was already trying to counteract the effects of the critical reception on the Tonight Show, which might only feed back into the idea that the movie is not being very well-recieved. But I think the fact it's become a serious talking point at all is a problem. The last thing the promotional tour has to do on the final leg is talk about the giant bleeding gash in its achilles.

And the comparison to Watchmen, box-office wise, might not be all that bad, considering Snyder's said he was shooting for that film with this one.

Bluth54

Bringing him in as an addition voice to counterbalance Zack is an ok idea, but I wouldn't want them to give the reigns away so soon.
Well I meant they should of brought him in from the beginning. I do think if he had been the one guiding the whole DCEU from the beginning things probably would be progressing very differently with the DCEU. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Honestly it's crazy they didn't tap Timm from the beginning. He's proven he can build a DCEU that's high quality and fans love, plus he works in TV and film. Even if WB also brought in someone else who had more live action experience it still just boggles my mind that WB just seemed to ignore one of their best potential resources when Marvel is on top of their game.

Bringing in Timm now might help a bit but I imagine the course of the DCEU is pretty much set now and there would only be so much he could do.

gamz

$78M would be pretty poor for Friday. That's lower than Furious 7's Friday taking out previews for both films.

Yeah that's not strong. They really needed 80's.

really curious to see the WW numbers on Sunday. It HAS to do 300-350.

Pretty sure Timm doesn't want it. Or Dini.

Besides which, looking at the direct to video output over the last 10 years, he's done quite a bit to fuck up his own rep. A lot of that stuff is mediocre to bad, too.

Alienous said:
Bruce Timm is an artist, guys.

No, he's a writer too. It's been his primary focus ever since the late 90s, honestly. He's a producer/showrunner.

He hasn't made very good stuff very often since Beyond ended.

It needs to gross around 1 billion worldwide to make a profit.
Yeah which I do not think is gonna happen, but we shall see. My guess is BR release will be profitable.
Edit: 27 + 78 = 105-106 million so far.
Edit 2: 78 million includes Thurs. NVM!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I hope it does poorly. It deserves to.

I don't get this line of thinking.
Let's say it does really poorly, like Green Lantern levels, this would then impact the production of some other justice league movies, and also the superhero movie regular releases we get every year or so. This means less comicbook movies are being made, fewer DC properties. The more of these that are made, the bigger the chance that a few or several of them turn out great and that DC can, as a result, learn as a lesson on how they should approach the different characters, but that's not happening any more if it does not do well.

Now, some of us may not like this movie, but there are others who do. But now we are all getting fewer of these movies as a result.
As someone who didn't like this movie, you can talk about how much you hated it and what you hated about it and all of it is equally as valid as someone's else (who loved the movie) opinion of the movie. The existence of a bad movie adaptation does not in any way impact the source material it was based on. That is still there. Superman/Batman you like and know are still there. Heck they're making a DC animated movie of the killing joke this year, and it is possible because superhero movies are doing so well. As someone who likes comicbook movies, when they are done right in the way you want it, your best outcome in a situation like this is that it does well enough to warrant more DC properties being put in to production. You should be gearing towards: 'I hope it does well, and that they learn from their mistakes, or at least consider some of the complaints some of us have had concerning this movie', which is entirely fair and reasonable and good, because the more people can enjoy a single property, the better it does and the more we all get out of it.

Caja 117

Marvel has Spider-Man in the film...

The last Cap film out grossed MoS, and the last Ironman out grossed TDKR.

And now they have Spider-Man, people severely underestimate the popularity of these Marvel heroes.
Agree, People need to stop seen Civil War as a CApt America movie, Civil War is Avengers part 3, and with the Super Hero cast including Spider Man (basically Marvels Batman in term of presence) and the positive momentum on MCU, Avengers: Civil War have a good chance to be bigger than Avengers.

Magwik

Banned
Well I meant they should of brought him in from the beginning. I do think if he had been the one guiding the whole DCEU from the beginning things probably would be progressing very differently with the DCEU. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Honestly it's crazy they didn't tap Timm from the beginning. He's proven he can build a DCEU that's high quality and fans love, plus he works in TV and film. Even if WB also brought in someone else who had more live action experience it still just boggles my mind that WB just seemed to ignore one of their best potential resources when Marvel is on top of their game.

Bringing in Timm now might help a bit but I imagine the course of the DCEU is pretty much set now and there would only be so much he could do.
Honestly, I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but Timm/Dini aren't exactly good choices for a movie universe, especially the Justice league. Sure they haste characteristics of the members down (fuck WonderBats though) but they never really managed to do a good job at balancing out who gets the spotlight. Superman and J'obber J'onnz were constantly taking L's every episode, and you have Batman doing near impossible things because he's Batman. In this aspect they definitely improved by the time Unlimited rolled around, but nothing there really tells me they can balance out a film of these characters yet alone still have to introduce most of them.

Caode

Update:

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya 2m2 minutes ago
Massive $82M FRI (incl THU pre-shows) for #BatmanvsSuperman. Ties JurassicWorld for #4 opening day of all-time. #BoxOffice

vareon

Cool numbers! I don't like the movie but I don't want it to financially fail. Here's for better DC movies in the next years.

So:

27mil Thurs previews
55mil Friday proper.
82mil cumulative Friday total

Today needs to be somewhere within 50-53 mil to stay in the midrange of what WB was likely expecting.

Cool numbers! I don't like the movie but I don't want it to financially fail. Here's for better DC movies in the next years.

WB isn't going to not make superhero movies just because this one failed. (should this one fail, which it won't, it'll just disappoint - maybe severely) They'll just take time off and then have another run at it later. The branding is too good. They won't leave it alone.

inky

Now, some of us may not like this movie, but there are others who do. But now we are all getting fewer of these movies as a result.

Well, maybe for some it is not about getting many more movies, it is about getting better movies. I certainly don't fault DC fans for wanting that if they don't like this interpretation of the characters. This movie doing well sends a message too, but it might be the wrong message. People talk about "superhero fatigue" with a straight face as if it is a real thing. Maybe the quantity is not the problem anymore.

WB might change their plans, but it's not like they are going to stop making movies, full stop. They will as long as there is a business out there, so I totally get this line of thinking.

kswiston

So that means it made 51 yesterday sans Thursday previews.

If today winds up anywhere south of 45, they might have problems. Affleck was already trying to counteract the effects of the critical reception on the Tonight Show, which might only feed back into the idea that the movie is not being very well-recieved. But I think the fact it's become a serious talking point at all is a problem. The last thing the promotional tour has to do on the final leg is talk about the giant bleeding gash in its achilles.

And the comparison to Watchmen, box-office wise, might not be all that bad, considering Snyder's said he was shooting for that film with this one.

Previews were closer to $28M, so a $78M gross would put the Friday share a just a hair over $50M.

Ultron's first Friday was a little less than $58M, and Ultron didn't open on a holiday. Iron Man 3 did $53M on its first Friday minus previews, and again that wasn't a holiday.

EDIT: $82M is better.

Thursday's always counts on Friday's total. I know it's stupid right?
It is odd, maybe because pre-screenings do not count seperate from Friday?
Still the poster above me is accurate, should make $50 mil or more today and it should be on track to get $120 mil by end of weekend.

FTF

$82m Friday is a great #...but now wom, Easter weekend and legs kick in (a little). Next weekend we'll def see wom and legs become a big factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom