• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Matt Frost

It's not close to Overwatch. OW has taken heroes from MOBA and uprooted them out of the genre. BB is still a MOBA. They play incredibly differently. BB has more options, tweaks, choices.

If you ever played Monday Night Combat, it's similar, as far as the MP modes go. They are fun! Story missions are just half the game.

I didn't buy it yesterday because I wanted to finish Bloodborne (only final boss remains) and had to cancel Mirror's Edge Catalyst, but today after work I will.

I looked at some MP videos and it indeeds looks different. And awesome. Can't wait (to download it lol)

Any idea how public story missions are determined? I am so sick of getting the same 3 options and playing Renegade or the Archive non stop. Its all the more disheartening when either the one mission I have a bronze on OR a new mission pops up and everyone selects either the Archive or Renegade. Any idea how I can get public missions for the ones I need?

duck_sauce

Battleborn is around 40€ on psn right now. Im still thinking about bying it but population and longelivity is still a concern for me. How is the game doing these days?

Any idea how public story missions are determined? I am so sick of getting the same 3 options and playing Renegade or the Archive non stop. Its all the more disheartening when either the one mission I have a bronze on OR a new mission pops up and everyone selects either the Archive or Renegade. Any idea how I can get public missions for the ones I need?

i think people pick those for "farming" reasons. I'm having the same issue, haven't completed Heliophage yet because no one wants to do it.

only way to guarantee a particular map is create a 5-man group, i believe.

CTLance

If you and your friend play together Id recommend doing all the story missions 1st private. Some of the later missions get much much harder with a full team then just doing them with 2 people. Also lets you learn what to do when you play online.

edit:
few more tips

if you are just a duo, i wouldn't bother with a healer, you regen shield and find health pretty easily.

Out of the starter guys me and my brother used Rath/Oscar Mike Combo. Rath sucks life when damaging and Oscar mike can go inviso and res if you die. Robo butler is great too so you don't need to get in close.
Whoa, thanks for the tips. I think I'll give that a try. Hope my friend isn't too attached to his lumberjack.

And yeah, we've resolved ourselves to play through story mode in private first. Otherwise, it's terribly unfun and a waste of everyone's time.

I bought this just to be contrary..as I really didn't like Overwatch Beta and was sick of seeing everyone dump on this game. Daft reason I know..but I'm glad I did.

I'm only playing the single player by myself but I'm really enjoying it. I hated Borderlands 2 for various reasons but this seems to work for me. The Destiny style raids are cool, the loot is cool and the League style character progression and unlocks are a nice bonus.

Glad I picked it up...been playing it more than Doom..which is surprising.

I bought this just to be contrary..as I really didn't like Overwatch Beta and was sick of seeing everyone dump on this game. Daft reason I know..but I'm glad I did.

I'm only playing the single player by myself but I'm really enjoying it. I hated Borderlands 2 for various reasons but this seems to work for me. The Destiny style raids are cool, the loot is cool and the League style character progression and unlocks are a nice bonus.

Glad I picked it up...been playing it more than Doom..which is surprising.

It's a great game that everyone would enjoy if they were just willing to give it a chance like you were :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alani Nerf and other hotfix

June 2, 2016

This week’s hot fixes are mainly focused on community feedback and small tweaks to improve certain FX. It should be noted that, while the Voxis Core Legendary has been temporarily disabled, it will be returning.

Reduced Alani's base health from 1451 to 1035.
The Voxis Core Legendary gear has been temporarily disabled due to unintended balance implications.
Fixed an issue causing players to burn indefinitely in The Archive.
Fixed an issue with snow FX appearing inconsistently in The Algorithm.
Fixed an issue causing audible impacts to play continuously due to Temporal Traps.
Fixed an issue causing third person FX to appear misaligned on M3.Shepherds.

Well, that obviously isn't true, plenty people don't even like the mechanics of the first person shooter genre in general, so it's unlikely those people would come to like this.

You know that there's no such thing as a genre that appeals to literally 100% of the people on earth right?

Although you obviously know what I was saying Ill explain it anyway, anyone that enjoys the genre of game that the game I'm referencing belongs to, will enjoy it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Losing 1/3rd HP sounds kinda dumb, especially for as slow as she is. But maybe it'll make some choices more impactful for her (LIke Surfing on her Waves, and the speed up). That's gonna feel bad for the first few matches, being much squisher.

I'm glad they didn't run off and nerf her abilities unnecessarily, though. I feel like her kit forces players to make choices early on, and she's no way near Omni-powerful; she just does really good against people who don't know how to deal with her. Galilea honestly still probably annoys me more, lol. Though I feel like I've faced a lot less super-powerful feeling options, and am starting to see each class played in a way where I'd like to prematurely scream "NERF! NERF!", which feels good.

Menome

It's not even been two weeks and I've resigned myself to never assuming that Alani is going to heal anyone but herself.

Thankfully the other support characters like Miko and Reyna are still being used properly for the most part.

Are you guys on PC?

I go 20 and 0 every game so if you need some help I'd be more than willing to lend a hand :)

I get matched up with teammates that pick roles and then ignore them alot so I'd much rather play with some people from Gaf that I know will be good at the game.

It's not even been two weeks and I've resigned myself to never assuming that Alani is going to heal anyone but herself.

Thankfully the other support characters like Miko and Reyna are still being used properly for the most part.
Alani can be a team healer but her build up takes time and she needs to heal herself most of the time.

Menome

Went to GAME today to trade some stuff in and got a fistful of character cards for free!

W9r3XKT.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Picked up the digital deluxe edition while it was on offer no UK PSN.

How do I find out how many golden keys I have?

IIRC you it won't show you how many you have but you're 1 ever time a new hero is dropped. Good news though if you use it on one of the original heroes it will get refunded back to you once you unlock them in the normal way. Haven't tried it had all heroes unlocked before the new one came out.

Trashbat

IIRC you it won't show you how many you have but you're 1 ever time a new hero is dropped. Good news though if you use it on one of the original heroes it will get refunded back to you once you unlock them in the normal way. Haven't tried it had all heroes unlocked before the new one came out.

Cheers mate.

You know that there's no such thing as a genre that appeals to literally 100% of the people on earth right?

Although you obviously know what I was saying Ill explain it anyway, anyone that enjoys the genre of game that the game I'm referencing belongs to, will enjoy it.

I don't feel that they will though, like distaste for genres, there's always going to be people that dislike this game, and any other individual titles for very particular reasons that don't align with their personal preferences.

As an example, if you're on console, the fact that Battleborn runs at 30 frames per second is a big turn off for some people. Alternatively, a lot of people don't like first person melee combat, so regardless of being on console or PC, some won't like that component of the game, and it may be enough to turn them off it. A number of my friends went away from the beta saying that the game felt too chaotic, because of melee characters and the number of effects going off on screen at any one time. I can understand that.

It's a fun game, but I can totally see how it won't appeal to everyone, and honestly, that's fine.

NO DEANDE :(

Out of curiosity are your character cards numbered between 1 and 15? My girlfriend bought a booster box of Battleborn character cards for the sake of collection and in the 200 or so cards, we only drew cards between 1 and 15. I do not know how to get hold of 16-25, even though they are advertised on the boosters we bought, none of them were included.

Maybe some dodgy printing and failure to randomize the distibution of cards across packs. Not sure. Either way, not too pleased to have 11 Boldur cards...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Reddit is saying this game is dead on PC. Is it true? I can still get games quickly on console but I know people like Xev said they couldn't.

I heard that some people are struggling to get some matches for PC so that's why they picked up Battleborn for PS4. I meant I have seen some PRETTY GOOD players with low command level for last few days. They just seem to know what to do with the game.

Game fell out of the top 100 played on Steam a couple days after Overwatch's release. which would put its concurrent numbers at sub 2k.

Yeah I mean the fact that the game isn't popular isn't a secret, but can you find matches?

I heard that some people are struggling to get some matches for PC so that's why they picked up Battleborn for PS4. I meant I have seen some PRETTY GOOD players with low command level for last few days. They just seem to know what to do with the game.

Interesting. I hope Gearbox make this free to play or offer it for free with Borderlands 3 preorders or something. :)

Went to GAME today to trade some stuff in and got a fistful of character cards for free!
My GameStop still has a copy that comes with the figure. I should ask if they have any leftover.
Reddit is saying this game is dead on PC. Is it true? I can still get games quickly on console but I know people like Xev said they couldn't.

It's dipping each day. At this point only the Reddit PC community is keeping it alive. I smell a F2P version soon. I hope honestly.

My GameStop still has a copy that comes with the figure. I should ask if they have any leftover.

At Game they had stacks of figures and my fiance asked if she could buy some. The guy said that they weren't for sale, and gave us four of them for free.

Pretty neat as they're worth £15 each.

We are just missing Miko.

Teepo671

I have that edition as well... where do I find those keys? Want to unlock the robotic dude from the imperium... the one that flies.. earlier.

I think the keys are released when a new DLC character is released. Just head to the in game shop and select characters from there. I think that option only appears when you have keys to use because I haven't seen it since I used up the 2 keys I got from Alani's release.

If you're talking about unlocking Caldarius it might be better just saving the key for someone else. He's pretty easy to unlock since you just need to complete the renegade mission to get him.

Matt Frost

I think the keys are released when a new DLC character is released. Just head to the in game shop and select characters from there. I think that option only appears when you have keys to use because I haven't seen it since I used up the 2 keys I got from Alani's release.

If you're talking about unlocking Caldarius it might be better just saving the key for someone else. He's pretty easy to unlock since you just need to complete the renegade mission to get him.

Hey, thanks for the tip on unlocking him, it was Caldarius the one I was talking about. Thanks for the info

gossi

I haven't played the PC version but I see the numbers are falling into the hundreds now, so it's going to be a struggle.

The PS4 digital version is half price in EU now.

Kitbash

Reddit is saying this game is dead on PC. Is it true?.
It's been dead on PC in Australia for a couple of weeks now. The last time I found a Meltdown match in less than 30 mins was the early access release for Alani. And even then, half of the players were the same as the ones from the night before.

I love the game but at this point I've stopped loading it up. Switching Steam regions to somewhere in NA didn't help because the latency made it unplayable.

Cynn

I play the PS4 version and have zero problems getting matches at any time of day or even early morning. Let's all pool together on one platform and weather the storm.

Slathe

Someone on the reddit crunched the pc numbers a bit and the resulting theory was that there's about 70k users over two weeks but they only log on for about 30 minutes at a time so the concurrent numbers are low.

The discussion in the thread mentioned that this could potentially be addressed by making matchmaking more balanced and fixing the optimization issue.

I know the latter has been a huge issue for me. I'm already not very good at the game, if coldsnap or echelon get chosen, I might as well disconnect for all the lag I'll get. That's happened the last two times I logged in, and after one or two games I logged back out.

daedalius

Some streamer I was watching last night said that he heard from one of the BB devs they are working on a 3 lane map?

Hype!

Seems like the game is struggling on PC, but totally fine on consoles. Maybe because there is no MOBA-ish games to scratch that itch on console (other than smite on xbox I guess)?

Menome

Two bits of good news:

-Battleborn made it to #4 in the monthly NPD charts!

-A hotfix on Thursday means that you can now stay in a matchmaking queue after a round has finished, progressing forward with the same team.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Two bits of good news:

-Battleborn made it to #4 in the monthly NPD charts!

-A hotfix on Thursday means that you can now stay in a matchmaking queue after a round has finished, progressing forward with the same team.

For NPD #4, that don't really meant anything yet because we don't know how huge the gap is between OverWatch and BattleBorn. I meant 5-10 were the games that got released a month to few months ago.

Edited: Actually, it's better than I expected
DOOM: 521K
OverWatch: 361K (on console, and other 50k-100k on PC)
Battleborn: over 125K, under 175K

And the changes is pretty awesome when I want to keep the same team from previous match. They patched it in last night.

Some streamer I was watching last night said that he heard from one of the BB devs they are working on a 3 lane map?

Hype!

Seems like the game is struggling on PC, but totally fine on consoles. Maybe because there is no MOBA-ish games to scratch that itch on console (other than smite on xbox I guess)?

Smite is on PS4, we also have Paragon.

I think BB probably thrives on console because a lot of people on console can relate to it, whereas Smite and Paragon are rather alien in their gameplay concepts. A sense of familiarity goes a long way and I think Overwatch more than BB demonstrates the impact of familiarity on popularity (game is incredibly accessible with characters that represent archetypes from almost all popular shooters), but BB has benefited from it a bit too.

According to NPD the game was a success but probably on consoles. I fear this game is heading down the path of battlefront. Will have a small community on consoles but dead on PC. Also leads me to believe like battlefront this had horrible retention rate. But this game will live on consoles imo. Too bad it's gearbox fault for releasing in around the same month as overwatch. Even though these two games have nothing in common aside from similar artstyle. Overwatch decimated this games playerbase.

According to NPD the game was a success but probably on consoles. I fear this game is heading down the path of battlefront. Will have a small community on consoles but dead on PC. Also leads me to believe like battlefront this had horrible retention rate. But this game will live on consoles imo. Too bad it's gearbox fault for releasing in around the same month as overwatch. Even though these two games have nothing in common aside from similar artstyle. Overwatch decimated this games playerbase.

Battlefront is already more than twice as popular as BB if you compare concurrent player numbers.

Battlefront has maintained the small community for a long time. It is not a shining star on PC, but it is not dead. It would be between top 70-100 if you compare it to Steam games. It is there for a few months already.

BB is not heading down the path of BF. BB wishes it could match the "success" of BF on PC at this point. It is going to be an abandonware without the F2P relaunch.

Battlefront is already more than twice as popular as BB if you compare concurrent player numbers.

Battlefront has maintained the small community for a long time. It is not a shining star on PC, but it is not dead. It would be between top 70-100 if you compare it to Steam games. It is there for a few months already.

BB is not heading down the path of BF. BB wishes it could match the "success" of BF on PC at this point. It is going to be an abandonware without the F2P relaunch.
Yeah maybe. I probably would have picked up this game for cheap but looks like without f2p it might be long dead by then. Oh well...that's what you get for going toe to toe with blizzard.

daedalius

Smite is on PS4, we also have Paragon.

I think BB probably thrives on console because a lot of people on console can relate to it, whereas Smite and Paragon are rather alien in their gameplay concepts. A sense of familiarity goes a long way and I think Overwatch more than BB demonstrates the impact of familiarity on popularity (game is incredibly accessible with characters that represent archetypes from almost all popular shooters), but BB has benefited from it a bit too.

I was playing paragon on and off before BB came out, then I totally switched over. Paragon seems alright, but it just moves too slow for me. Its a totally MOBA ass 3rd person MOBA, with kind of what feels like a glacial combat pace. I love BB because it still seems to move pretty fast.

They just need to make that 3 lane map!

Top Bottom