• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

I was playing paragon on and off before BB came out, then I totally switched over. Paragon seems alright, but it just moves too slow for me. Its a totally MOBA ass 3rd person MOBA, with kind of what feels like a glacial combat pace. I love BB because it still seems to move pretty fast.

They just need to make that 3 lane map!

Before Battleborn I was playing Smite and Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2, and contemplating playing Paragon.

Then BB came out and I played BB.

Then Uncharted 4 came out and distracted me from BB.

Then Overwatch came out and distracted me from Uncharted 4.

Then I decided Overwatch has crap controls on consoles and went back to Uncharted 4.

I also installed Rainbow Six Siege again. That game is great.

I keep thinking about Battleborn, but the problem is I just don't have many people to play it with. It's super fun, but I'm not involved with the community at all. On Uncharted I'm a mod on the subreddit, so I have lots of people to play with from reddit, on Overwatch, the gaff community has something like 200 players, so it's super easy to find a group... but on Battleborn it seems difficult to get hold of people. Overwatch hasn't helped, as those I used to play BB with, sold the game to buy Overwatch.

Menome

Before Battleborn I was playing Smite and Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2, and contemplating playing Paragon.

Then BB came out and I played BB.

Then Uncharted 4 came out and distracted me from BB.

Then Overwatch came out and distracted me from Uncharted 4.

Then I decided Overwatch has crap controls on consoles and went back to Uncharted 4.

I also installed Rainbow Six Siege again. That game is great.

I keep thinking about Battleborn, but the problem is I just don't have many people to play it with. It's super fun, but I'm not involved with the community at all. On Uncharted I'm a mod on the subreddit, so I have lots of people to play with from reddit, on Overwatch, the gaff community has something like 200 players, so it's super easy to find a group... but on Battleborn it seems difficult to get hold of people. Overwatch hasn't helped, as those I used to play BB with, sold the game to buy Overwatch.

I've got you on my PSN friends list, so if you ever see me online playing Battleborn, just send me an invite. I might not be able to chat sometimes, but I can still play.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I still play BattleBorn on PS4 on frequent basis so if you want someone to join with you then just toss me PSN message and I will invite y'all. Just PM me if you want my PSN.

P.S. I need someone to help me out to get Boldur's lore over with.

Menome

The team lay out their plans for cosmetic paid-DLC, the first batch of which arrives on 16th June with a costume for every character and new taunts for several characters.

As well as the paid-for costumes, the DLC packs will feature costumes and taunts that are only unlockable there and cannot be purchased separately.

Full details and pricing here:

http://2kgam.es/Marketplace

I still play BattleBorn on PS4 on frequent basis so if you want someone to join with you then just toss me PSN message and I will invite y'all. Just PM me if you want my PSN.

P.S. I need someone to help me out to get Boldur's lore over with.

My PSN is Chronospherics, just add me when you get a chance :) It'd be cool to have another person to play with.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just saw the paid skin DLC, ugh

Kinda wish they would date the Story DLC stuff already, also weren't season pass holder supposed to get skins and stuff too?

Just saw the paid skin DLC, ugh

Kinda wish they would date the Story DLC stuff already, also weren't season pass holder supposed to get skins and stuff too?
There making skins exclusive to season pass holder. You have to beat the new missions to unlock them.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
There making skins exclusive to season pass holder. You have to beat the new missions to unlock them.

Ahh I miss read thought Season Pass holders were getting exclusive skins, not just the mission ones. No big, still wish a new story mission would come out.

Mossybrew

Anyone notice the lighting/graphics changes with this patch? On PS4 at least, Overgrowth is significantly darker, like some weird graphical downgrade where you're suddenly wearing sunglasses. No idea WTF is up with this but it kinda sucks.

daedalius

So I am playing the Battleborn Tap game on my phone probably way more than I should.

Its my first tap game, so I have no idea if its actually any good, but it seems alright.

delSai

I got this game on friday and put almost 20 hours in it so far aaaand... it's fun. Way better than people make it seem. Found some cool people while playing online that i team up with from time to time, which hasn't happend in years for me. Really underrated game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Can anyone help me to get Boldur lore over with? I need few more players that could pick Eldrid characters. One of Boldur's lore would require me to have full team with eldrid characters.

I got this game on friday and put almost 20 hours in it so far aaaand... it's fun. Way better than people make it seem. Found some cool people while playing online that i team up with from time to time, which hasn't happend in years for me. Really underrated game.

Yeah, it's really underrated rough gem. I really hope that they are going to keep up with their works on the game. I can't wait for new maps, characters and maybe mode(s).

Seems like they're super lax on the matchmaking now, been getting matches instantly and it's great.

I noticed that now so that's pretty great news. Also I noticed that we are getting a lot of new players now.

My PSN is Chronospherics, just add me when you get a chance :) It'd be cool to have another person to play with.

I will toss you an invite when I get on tonight if I could remember. If anyone want to have someone to play with on PS4, please let me know.

Xevren

I feel like I was super lucky on getting that boldur lore challenge done, literally the first story mission I played in matchmaking everyone picked him so we all got it done. Was also pretty hilarious.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
we are going to get three new maps in couple of weeks so I'm quite looking forward for it.

I feel like I was super lucky on getting that boldur lore challenge done, literally the first story mission I played in matchmaking everyone picked him so we all got it done. Was also pretty hilarious.

Awesome. You definitely got lucky with that one!

Did anyone see in the credits who does the voices of Caldarius, Deandre, Kleese, Marquis, and Miko? It's been bugging my friend for a while but I don't have access to a copy at the moment.

Xevren

Really curious what all is going to be in this next big update. Lore overhaul seems to be in it (ie not so many kills vs specific enemies and the like) which is sweet. Sounds like a toby ult buff too, good times ahead.

Really curious what all is going to be in this next big update. Lore overhaul seems to be in it (ie not so many kills vs specific enemies and the like) which is sweet. Sounds like a toby ult buff too, good times ahead.

So much lore being PVP/luck dependent was one thing that made me lose interest, so it would be nice to see the conditions loosened.

If your Alani it's best to save your wave attack for when melee characters are up in your face. That saved my life against Raths numerous times.

Her lore challenges are grindy as fuck though.

Xevren

So much lore being PVP/luck dependent was one thing that made me lose interest, so it would be nice to see the conditions loosened.

Last I saw it's not going to be strictly kill based, an assist will count towards them too. So it shouldn't be so bad if that's the case.

Had some fun, as well as some frustrating games last night.

If the opposing team has a party of level 100s, then why put the two non-party 100s on their team too, and give us a level 6, and 17? It doesn't make sense. I know that the command rank isn't a skill based metric, but experience does mean a lot, or rather, the lack of it certainly seems predictive of poor performance.

Still enjoying it a lot though. I didn't play Alani when she first came out, but I really enjoy playing that character now. Still need to try some of the other Eldrid, it tends to be my favourite faction.

delSai

I love this game but man, being the highest level on my team, my level being 32, while the other team has 4 on level 100 sucks alot :/

daedalius

I love this game but man, being the highest level on my team, my level being 32, while the other team has 4 on level 100 sucks alot :/

I've lost with teams of 4 100s in my group when the other team is filled with randies and a team of two, all in the 50s plenty of times.

Command rank doesn't matter that much, it's just an indication of time spent.

I've lost with teams of 4 100s in my group when the other team is filled with randies and a team of two, all in the 50s plenty of times.

Command rank doesn't matter that much, it's just an indication of time spent.

This seems to be the case when I play on PC as well.

It really comes down to how good your teammates are at playing specific roles and how well they coordinate.

That being said, there isn't very much progression to keep you playing once you reach 100 and max out all your character levels/lore like I have so I'm really hoping they implement some sort of prestige system eventually.

delSai

In that match you could really tell that the 4 level 100 knew what they were doing.
I know, levels dont mean anything but it tells you they have played the game and have experience, while my team didnt even seem to know about the healing station. It sucked but it cant be helped. Guess i was just a bit salty lol.

Also the hate for this game man.. :/ Its pretty much the only game ive played this week, close to mastering Reyna and i dont get why people give this game the finger all the time. So weird.

Menome

In that match you could really tell that the 4 level 100 knew what they were doing.
I know, levels dont mean anything but it tells you they have played the game and have experience, while my team didnt even seem to know about the healing station. It sucked but it cant be helped. Guess i was just a bit salty lol.

Also the hate for this game man.. :/ Its pretty much the only game ive played this week, close to mastering Reyna and i dont get why people give this game the finger all the time. So weird.

People unfortunately equate "Dislike Randy Pitchford" with "Must also dislike everything Gearbox-related".

Hopefully the planned Battleborn Jimquisition for Monday materialises, as Jim Sterling is one of Pitchford's harshest critics but took Battleborn on its own merits and really liked it. Could do with that message being broadcast.

daedalius

People unfortunately equate "Dislike Randy Pitchford" with "Must also dislike everything Gearbox-related".

Hopefully the planned Battleborn Jimquisition for Monday materialises, as Jim Sterling is one of Pitchford's harshest critics but took Battleborn on its own merits and really liked it. Could do with that message being broadcast.

Gaf hates randy and battleborne. Pretty tired of it myself

Whatever, I'll just keep playing it; not going to engage with haters online. I still enjoy it plenty.

delSai

I got Reyna to Level 15 and did all her Lore Challenges and the skin and title did not unlock. Is this a known problem? If yes, the devs are surely working on it right?

daedalius

Yikes I don't think this game could be more dead on gaf.

They are really going to have to work some magic to reinvigorate the dialog... Inevitable f2p switch coming soon?

I still love the game, I hate seeing it so universally reviled all over the net.

Grisby

Played a couple of missions after buying this on the Xbox sale. The beta was ok, and I'm having an alright time with the full game. Population seems decent and I haven't had to wait long to get into matches.

Playing as Thorn and sometimes the missions can get pretty hectic, in a good way. I've never played a MOBA, so some of the MP modes are a little new to me. Was surprised that there was a 'vote to surrender' option in my incursion match the other night and that some dudes gave up when the score only seemed to be 80-100. Like, they straight up wouldn't budge from the spawn area.

I wanted to unlock that water/korra looking lady at the top of the screen but I'm seeing that it's gonna take 47k bits to unlock her? Seems like a long grind as I've only got about 3k now. Guess I got to get to selling my equipment stuff.

Played a couple of missions after buying this on the Xbox sale. The beta was ok, and I'm having an alright time with the full game. Population seems decent and I haven't had to wait long to get into matches.

Playing as Thorn and sometimes the missions can get pretty hectic, in a good way. I've never played a MOBA, so some of the MP modes are a little new to me. Was surprised that there was a 'vote to surrender' option in my incursion match the other night and that some dudes gave up when the score only seemed to be 80-100. Like, they straight up wouldn't budge from the spawn area.

I wanted to unlock that water/korra looking lady at the top of the screen but I'm seeing that it's gonna take 47k bits to unlock her? Seems like a long grind as I've only got about 3k now. Guess I got to get to selling my equipment stuff.

Yeah if you sell equipment and stuff it should take about 80 games I suppose... which while quite a while isn't too bad I guess.

I have the season pass so I got her with that. She's really fun so if you like the look of her it might just be worth buying her outright.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yikes I don't think this game could be more dead on gaf.

They are really going to have to work some magic to reinvigorate the dialog... Inevitable f2p switch coming soon?

I still love the game, I hate seeing it so universally reviled all over the net.

The problem is no one really want to group up here, other than Chrono

I have a digital PS4 version of the game with season pass so I can't exactly jump ship. :p

I'm just joking though, it's my favourite MOBA type game so I'm gonna' stick around till Gearbox make it free to play or something. I think the game is really neat and while it's dead on here it's still super easy to find matches in game. All of the playlists have short queue times.

For me it hasn't helped matters that I convinced all of my Battleborn friends to jump over to Overwatch. I told them to get Overwatch, but not once did I tell them to sell Battleborn! I was really bummed out when they said they did that and have lost all of my Battleborn friends, sadly.

Is this more like a MOBA or shooter?

I tend to classify games by their core, moment to moment gameplay, in which case it's more of a shooter. It depends on a lot of factors though like the mode you're playing and character you're using. It's only MOBA-like in some gametypes, and it's only shooter-like with certain characters. Some characters use melee only, so for those characters it's not much like playing a shooter at all.

Realistically though it's impossible to dissociate its MOBA elements from the FPS gameplay, and therefore, would be nothing but conjecture to suggest the game is more of either one. It's a blend of many different mechanics.

Xevren

Even during the beta this game didn't get much response here in terms of grouping. I like the game, I really do...but all the weirdness from the devs and the matchmaking is just annoying. Doesn't help all my friends quit but I still play from time to time.

TheYanger

I tend to classify games by their core, moment to moment gameplay, in which case it's more of a shooter. It depends on a lot of factors though like the mode you're playing and character you're using. It's only MOBA-like in some gametypes, and it's only shooter-like with certain characters. Some characters use melee only, so for those characters it's not much like playing a shooter at all.

Realistically though it's impossible to dissociate its MOBA elements from the FPS gameplay, and therefore, would be nothing but conjecture to suggest the game is more of either one. It's a blend of many different mechanics.

Weird way to try and sell it as a shooter, a MOBA isn't defined by how you interact with the game in any way, MOBA is a broader term than that. For example, by your logic, NO game is a 'moba' strictly, since DOTA and League are effectively real time strategy games in the same way that this is a shooter.

Battleborn is straight moba, with a bad campaign mode tacked on, the moba part is fine.

The copy I asked the library to order is available for pick-up. I missed out on getting it first or second, though, so I hope it's not scratched to Hell or covered in who knows what.

I only have two story missions to finish. That's all I want it for. Hopefully enough decent players are still playing, that I can use their help to finish 'em and consider the game beaten.

Weird way to try and sell it as a shooter, a MOBA isn't defined by how you interact with the game in any way, MOBA is a broader term than that. For example, by your logic, NO game is a 'moba' strictly, since DOTA and League are effectively real time strategy games in the same way that this is a shooter.

Battleborn is straight moba, with a bad campaign mode tacked on, the moba part is fine.

That doesn't make sense to me. At least half of the game has zero MOBA elements other than the fact that you level up mid fight, and use powers. Co-op and Capture don't play like a MOBA at all.

Either way your post reflects the very reason why I said any intent to classify it as either genre is liable to be very subjective, and at the end of the day it feels more relevent to the prospective consumer to simply describe the manner in which the game is played, than it is to attempt to place a clearcut 'label' on a game with such an assortment of differing gameplay systems. For what it's worth, most genre categorizations of the game place Battleborn as a shooter, but cite MOBA elements, and Gearbox themselves have spoken out saying that the game is not designed to be a MOBA, but rather, a shooter with MOBA elements. Though as I say, it's difficult to classify the game as a shooter, if all you play are melee characters...

I don't think I was trying to 'sell' it as anything. I was just saying that the mode and character you play are very much deterministic of the manner in which the game plays.

Top Bottom