• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

So I'm thinking of picking up the Premium edition to hold me off until I can afford a next-gen console.

Which console has the more lively online community?

So I'm thinking of picking up the Premium edition to hold me off until I can afford a next-gen console.

Which console has the more lively online community?

this week? definitely 360. everyone on PS3 playing TLOU. even i was for a few days.

overall, it's pretty even, but most of Console BFGAF are going PS4 nextgen, so there's that...

this week? definitely 360. everyone on PS3 playing TLOU. even i was for a few days.

overall, it's pretty even, but most of Console BFGAF are going PS4 nextgen, so there's that...

Good to know. Guess I'll go with 360 since I have more free space on my HDD. There's probably what, a dozen gigs or so of DLC?

DICE needs some stricter rules for BF4 Rush servers. The only Rush servers with a good map rotation are 64 players or 300 tickets or some stupid shit (or both). Who wants to play that crap? Besides stat whores. BC2 got it right with its 32 cap and no insanely high ticket counts. 32 even feels like a clusterfuck sometimes, but it's at least playable.

I agree anything goes for Conquest. But Rush was just ruined (it was already 10 steps below BC2).

... 64 player Rush ... oh wow

Portugeezer

My god, I've lost about 5 in a row now (and when I'm one of the better players of the team you know there is a problem lol). Playing on your own can be a pain at times.

Tak3n

Banned
So I guess I am well late to the party, but with Amazon selling BF3 + Premium for £13.50 I could not resist, however I can not find those servers listed on the first page, is the Neogaf group KIA?

Norua

Banned
So I guess I am well late to the party, but with Amazon selling BF3 + Premium for £13.50 I could not resist, however I can not find those servers listed on the first page, is the Neogaf group KIA?

Yes.

If you want good servers, here's a list:
6MqnXsg.jpg

You'll find Spl1nters, me and scogoth in there. Sometimes other gaffers (ocho, deadly, etc).

Ocho

Yes.

If you want good servers, here's a list:

You'll find Spl1nters, me and scogoth in there. Sometimes other gaffers (ocho, deadly, etc).

I check my origin friend list at least twice a day to see if you guys are around. It seems you guys play when I'm at work or something. We need BF4.

scogoth

I check my origin friend list at least twice a day to see if you guys are around. It seems you guys play when I'm at work or something. We need BF4.

Nope just not playing. Been busy moving and work =(
Need BF4 to get me playing again

scogoth

Got kicked for glitching, WTF I wasn't glitching. I was having a good game, do I keep my stats or weapon unlocks?

Kicked from server? Yeah you keep everything. That just happened cause one of the server admins hated you for some reason. Nothing to do with EA or DICE so your stats won't be affected.

Take being kicked as a compliment for how good you were playing.

Just got this yesterday morning, my first battlefield game. New neighbours moved in a few months ago and the guy, he's been egging me to jump in for awhile so I thought why not.
First shock is how much I like the campaign. After seeing all sorts written about it including dedicated threads here on gaf, I thought it might be a total abortion. As I said though, I've actually been having a blast, initially only putting it on to learn the buttons. I just passed the mission as the russians in Paris, but I really like it. Even on normal, it seems a good challenge. I wanted to slowly set myself for MP so I turned off auto aim and turned up sensitivity from the start and yea, I like it. Probably enjoying it more than Black Ops 2 for example.

Second, MP....yeesh, I'm going to have to practise haha. I.'ve started in team death since the scale is a little smaller and I get more practise at simple one on one, but ouch. 5-21 in my first game last night, a few later I think I'd worked that up to 29-43 or something haha. It's fun though, I think it might make a good distraction this summer, and at least I'll have my screwed on when BF4 comes out. I've only ever bothered with Modern Warfare 1 and Halo Reach competitively, which are both awhile ago now, so it's something different.

Wow, that frostbite engine as well, can't believe they made so few games on v.2 before moving onto v.3

Norua

Banned
Nice sneak edit adding me in there =P

I can play right now

I'd rather play with you than Splint, that's for sure!
But well, you do what you can with the cards you are delt in life.

I can't either these days so it's alright. We'll get back together soon enough anyway.

Stantron

I bought this game at launch but haven't really played much of multiplayer since I'm not that good with mouse and keyboard controls. I've come up with a mouse and left half of 360 controller scheme because I hate WASD for movement.
Anyways, over a couple hours of play tonight, I noticed that I would sometimes get killed by a dude who was clipping his gun through a wall. Is this common, cause it's annoying as hell to die that way?
Also, it seemed like I would need to get several shots on an enemy with my Aug A3 to get a kill, yet I die from only a few enemy shots, especially against the SCAR. Is this more likely lag, difference in gun damage, or is my aim just off?
Oh yeah, and seeing people bunny hop frequently is annoying. There should be a speed penalty when they do that.

meshwork

I bought this game at launch but haven't really played much of multiplayer since I'm not that good with mouse and keyboard controls. I've come up with a mouse and left half of 360 controller scheme because I hate WASD for movement.
Anyways, over a couple hours of play tonight, I noticed that I would sometimes get killed by a dude who was clipping his gun through a wall. Is this common, cause it's annoying as hell to die that way?
Also, it seemed like I would need to get several shots on an enemy with my Aug A3 to get a kill, yet I die from only a few enemy shots, especially against the SCAR. Is this more likely lag, difference in gun damage, or is my aim just off?
Oh yeah, and seeing people bunny hop frequently is annoying. There should be a speed penalty when they do that.

I can understand how WASD feels unnatural for people who didn't grow up using it. Many people like it, but whatever works for you is the best choice obviously. I have a friend who played competitive FPS games with car pedals for forward/backward movement :)

My first thought with that clipping description was that the guy was simply shooting through the wall (since powerful weapons can pierce thin walls) and due to being close to the wall the graphics of the gun were clipping through it. This type of clipping happens fairly often when people prone next to a wall and their lower body goes through the wall. I've killed plenty of people by shooting at their legs when they thought they were on one side of the wall but accidentally stuck their legs out from the other side. I don't usually mind wall-banging since it takes skill to know where people are, but it can be a bit tedious in a gamemode like Rush where the gameplay is fairly linear and you often have clear chokepoints built into the map.

The frequent deaths are most likely a combination of all the things you mention. Most guns take a number of hits to kill a player with 100% health, unless you get headshots. However, different guns have different damage and different fall-offs in the damage. Aug A3 and SCAR-L have similar stats, but SCAR-H (H for heavy) has higher damage and more supression so it kills people faster when aimed properly. BF3 also has notoriously bad hit registration, so if your opponent has a shitty connection they can be hard to hit while they might have no trouble hitting you.

Or if you're unlucky, your opponent was hacking and using damage multipliers. Apparently most people who hack just use a combination of a radar and damage modifiers to achieve one hit kills. They are easy to spot if they are stupid though, since you go from 100% health to 0% from a single SMG/pistol bullet.

All that being said, I've noticed most of the differences in firefights to come from controlling recoil and using 3-5 bullet bursts to limit the bullet spread. These aspects are something that people coming from CoD or similar games often neglect since these games fail to implement them. I mention it because I'm not sure how much of this you attribute to "aim" when you mention it :)

I agree with you on the bunny hopping; jumping shouldn't be the fastest way to run across the map. I believe this is something DICE is addressing with BF4 since in that game it seems to takes a few seconds to "build momentum" before you sprint at full speed after walking/jumping. I just hope it doesn't slow down the gameplay too much.

Stantron

Thanks for the comments, meep7.

I may have to force myself to use WASD eventually, but I'll have to practice more in SP or coop games. The half controller/mouse setup actually works surprisingly well, but it limits how many keys I have readily available.

The clipping guy was using an LMG but was standing next to a thin wall that was part of a staircase on the Karkand map. You could see more than half of his gun clip through the wall during the death cam while he was still aim down sights and firing. I know what you mean with the prone clipping. Wasn't that as I was shot in the open. Ah well, only happened a few times.

I don't think there was any foul play with hacking. But there were a few engagements where I would get the jump on an enemy, seemingly landing all my shots up close, only to still get downed. Like you say, it's probably a combination of the things I mentioned. I gotta say, coming from mostly playing CoD on console, playing without the aim assist definitely takes getting use to. I've got some room for improvement, but I like it though. :)

Divus

If it was the SCAR H is does 34 damage per hit at closer ranges I believe. So 1 head shot with its 2x multiplier does 68 damage and then all it would take is a body shot so he could of 2 hit you. AUG is 25 damage per hit at close range so 4 body shots/two head shots/1 head 2 body hits before you would of killed him. Most assult/carbines are this damage model other the SCAR-H, G3A3, ACR (does less) from what I remember. Damage decreases over range of course.

Most decent servers ban people with pings over 250, but even at 200 they have a hell of a advantage over you with BF3's client side hit detection. My ping usually is 25ish and after getting a huge jump on someone unloading a magazine into them I'll die instantly fairly often.

You'll get better Stantron. Went from playing CoD on PC to playing CoD on consoles, then BF3 on consoles and went to BF3 on a PC again. When I went back to PC I decided to use conventional controls since I had always had played inverted and with the number pad instead of WASD on PC. It was really, really rough. Went from a 2.4 K/D on BF3 Xbox to .33 K/D my first day on PC. Up to a 1.91 now, but it took some time relearning how to play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PC? None of NeoGAF PC clans are active anymore =(

Liar. Splinter was playing just tonight with someone else.
I joined the other team their team was camping and got mown. :(

Anyway, WASD isn't the problem for me. The problem for me transitioning from consoles is the "hold to crouch" key and not knowing where prone is since on consoles it's Stand->R3/Crouch->Hold R3 or tap R3 from crouch/prone. So I'm tapping L. CTRL and getting teabagging. :(

The other thing is fumbling with gadgets and switching weapons. I need to play more co-op and adjust but man relearning the controls is going to take a good long while it seems.

scogoth

Anyway, WASD isn't the problem for me. The problem for me transitioning from consoles is the "hold to crouch" key and not knowing where prone is since on consoles it's Stand->R3/Crouch->Hold R3 or tap R3 from crouch/prone. So I'm tapping L. CTRL and getting teabagging. :(

The other thing is fumbling with gadgets and switching weapons. I need to play more co-op and adjust but man relearning the controls is going to take a good long while it seems.

The someone else was Norua. We three play from time to time, but even 4 of us with you isn't really a platoon.

TheSeks

Eh, even on consoles "GAF" platoons are pretty lean. I'd say it's something like:

PS3->360->PC in terms of player retention. Though lately PS3-GAF has moved to "the Last of Us" or other titles and kinda went into "the breaking of the fellowship."

Cuban and Snrub/Anton don't play anymore? I know they were crazy active in BC2 (which I've got slowly downloading off Origin while downloading TF2 updates off Steam) but I don't see anything of them around.

(I also learned X/Z is crouch/prone respectively which just seems really weird and awkward to hit. Gah, keyboards. If I could somehow make a left-thumbstick and d-pad a-la PS3 controller, I'd be in business in movement outside of losing prone/crouch for lack of R3 toggle on mouse...)

demolitio

I'd be interested in playing BF3 on PC again, but I just hate playing solo anymore. If anyone is planning to get on, add demolitio on Origin and message me when you're getting on and I might hop on then. I need to find some good NA servers again it seems.

Overdoziz

Banned

Yeah, some of the BF3 PC controls are a bit strange. The worst is holding down Shift to sprint. There should at least be an option to make it a toggle instead.

Eh, even on consoles "GAF" platoons are pretty lean. I'd say it's something like:

PS3->360->PC in terms of player retention. Though lately PS3-GAF has moved to "the Last of Us" or other titles and kinda went into "the breaking of the fellowship."

Cuban and Snrub/Anton don't play anymore? I know they were crazy active in BC2 (which I've got slowly downloading off Origin while downloading TF2 updates off Steam) but I don't see anything of them around.

(I also learned X/Z is crouch/prone respectively which just seems really weird and awkward to hit. Gah, keyboards. If I could somehow make a left-thumbstick and d-pad a-la PS3 controller, I'd be in business in movement outside of losing prone/crouch for lack of R3 toggle on mouse...)
the thing about 360 is schedule, it's really US stacked and late nights are prime time, while on PS3 it's more varied so there isn't a single "hot time" for it, even with more GAF players overall.

Dramos

BF3-GA, I only own the first expansion pack and I haven't played the game for a couple of months and I was thinking to play on PC again. So, as I am downloading the game, I want to know if most servers require premium DLC. Anyone can tell me if I should buy another copy of the game for $40?

BF3-GA, I only own the first expansion pack and I haven't played the game for a couple of months and I was thinking to play on PC again. So, as I am downloading the game, I want to know if most servers require premium DLC. Anyone can tell me if I should buy another copy of the game for $40?

i dunno about server rotation, but you can catch the Premium DLC on sale all the time for a lot less than $40 and unlock it on your existing copy of the game.

TheSeks

Yeah, some of the BF3 PC controls are a bit strange. The worst is holding down Shift to sprint. There should at least be an option to make it a toggle instead.

Yeah, toggle or consolidating some into the same key like the joypad/controller controls are bound would be nice. I will admit I can see the advantage for people that primarily play on keyboards with the separate prone/crouch buttons for stances, but it's really jarring coming from consoles.

At least it isn't as bad as "S.T.A.L.K.E.R."'s defaults. Stalker has crouch on ctrl and "prone"/low crouch on shift and I don't see a toggle for it. They're both "hold to stay in that position" which is just awkward.

The Faceless Master said:
the thing about 360 is schedule, it's really US stacked and late nights are prime time, while on PS3 it's more varied so there isn't a single "hot time" for it, even with more GAF players overall.

To be fair, PS3-GAF was/is mostly East Coast based. There are exceptions like Fersis, JJD being in South America (but in Brazil and Fersis is Chili, so not too far behind in time), Meppi and a few others being in Europe. Noisepurge is Korea or Romanian(?) somewhere in Asia

@Dramos: Origin has Premium at $20 right now. Which is like $30 less than what consoles want for it. Origin's had it for sale for $15 or so in the past, IIRC. But I dunno if they'll drop it between now and when BF4 launches. If you really want it get it. It's already less than what PSN/XBLM want for it since I don't think Premium's ever dropped in price from the $50 asking price there.

To be fair, PS3-GAF was/is mostly East Coast based. There are exceptions like Fersis, JJD being in South America (but in Brazil and Fersis is Chili, so not too far behind in time), Meppi and a few others being in Europe. Noisepurge is Korea or Romanian(?) somewhere in Asia

@Dramos: Origin has Premium at $20 right now. Which is like $30 less than what consoles want for it. Origin's had it for sale for $15 or so in the past, IIRC. But I dunno if they'll drop it between now and when BF4 launches. If you really want it get it. It's already less than what PSN/XBLM want for it since I don't think Premium's ever dropped in price from the $50 asking price there.
yeah, but 360 GAF is like clockwork

right, there was like ... one 50% off sale on premium on the consoles. it's cheaper to buy the console game just for the premium code in the box tha buying the DLC online. PC version Premium DLC has been on sale regularly and is just straight cheaper online.

TheSeks

Ya'll missed playing Rush with me.
:lol as is PC plays Rush. :(

Tried finding Rush Arica in BC2 and there's only 2(!) servers playing Conquest. Insane how dead that game is on PC now. I thought there would still be servers since BC1/2 on consoles still has a few dedicated players in both Rush/Conquest each.

Ya'll missed playing Rush with me.
:lol as is PC plays Rush. :(

Tried finding Rush Arica in BC2 and there's only 2(!) servers playing Conquest. Insane how dead that game is on PC now. I thought there would still be servers since BC1/2 on consoles still has a few dedicated players in both Rush/Conquest each.

wanna play BC1/2?

TheSeks

wanna play BC1/2?

Maybe tomorrow after lunch. I have to replug in the PS3 but I have the updates for BC1/2 (I think I still have them) so we're good to go.

Though this is a roundabout way of saying "Does this rag smell like console-iform," though. :p

Also I see a PC version on your Battlelog. When the hell did you buy that? :p

TheSeks

Ah, I missed out on that and got Mirror's Edge on Steam anyway. :p

TheSeks

This is one of the most stupid servers I have ever joined.

Run past C to clear out out the beacon being spawned on and no where near their spawn since you're only in the room near C? Get admin killed.

RPG-7? Warning. (Okay, that one is reasonable)

Use the grenade to flush out a group of five that are starting to push back? Get a warning.

So stupid. If you can't use grenades, why the fuck would you play?

Top Bottom