• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Added Europe West platoon to OP.

We're gtting closer to jumping on a server purchase and it's looking like Multiplay, so if you get a chance, please play Multiplay servers (preferably located in Virginia, as that's what we'll probably get) and give us some feedback. Hopefully once some of the beta kinks get worked out, we'll have a more accurate idea of their capabilities.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mr. Snrub said:
Okay, just created one of the first Platoons: NeoGAF NA Central

For some reason, it wasn't giving me my entire list of friends to invite, so I could only invite a few of you. Please ask to join if you are located in Central North America (Canada included).

I was thinking about making the others, but it might be appropriate for a dedicated BF3 fan to create the platoons for the other regions. Would anyone like to create the platoon for their region?

Bear in mind that there's a good chance these platoons will be wiped once the beta ends, but they're super easy to make anyway.

Ill join. I think I have you on my friends list. I am in GAF elite now.

Too bad our friends lists from BF2 did not carry over.

Mr. Snrub said:
Okay, just created one of the first Platoons: NeoGAF NA Central

For some reason, it wasn't giving me my entire list of friends to invite, so I could only invite a few of you. Please ask to join if you are located in Central North America (Canada included).

It's doing the same to me. Can only invite one guy out of like 10. So yeah please ask to join yourself, can't invite you guys.

Spl1nter

Mr. Snrub said:
Added Europe West platoon to OP.

We're gtting closer to jumping on a server purchase and it's looking like Multiplay, so if you get a chance, please play Multiplay servers (preferably located in Virginia, as that's what we'll probably get) and give us some feedback. Hopefully once some of the beta kinks get worked out, we'll have a more accurate idea of their capabilities.

Boooo! Toronto based server. You know it's what EVERYONE wants.

LordCanti

New rule: Never make me play on a UK server (ping 200 ;_;). Thanks for the games though guys, even though I was on the phone for most of them and couldn't talk.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I played on a Multiplay server and really liked it. I think it's what we should have.

Just in case you missed my post on the last page!

They seem really good to me. As long as there are no weird currency conversion charges at Paypal or something, they are the cheapest by far as well.

LordCanti said:
New rule: Never make me play on a UK server (ping 200 ;_;). Thanks for the games though guys, even though I was on the phone for most of them and couldn't talk.
How do you see your ping? I was wanting to see what mine was on the VA server but it wasn't on the scoreboard.

It felt really good considering I was playing it from the UK though.

Oh it's on the server browser!

120 ping for VA Multiplay server from the UK. That seems high, but the experience I had this morning really didn't feel too bad, so yeah.

LordCanti

Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh it's on the server browser!

120 ping for VA Multiplay server from the UK. That seems high, but the experience I had this morning really didn't feel too bad, so yeah.

Low 100's is usually a pretty good experience. It degrades as you get closer to 200 though, to the point where it's unplayable. I was emptying half a clip into people, only to die because none of the shots had registered. It was like playing on a really bad peer-to-peer connection on Xbox Live.

Also: Why are you on mumble channel 4, when everyone else is on 2? Different teams?

Dreams-Visions said:
Are there anymore US Platoons?

Check the op. There is a platoon for each region.

1stStrike

Banned
There, donated. Looks like there's plenty of money in the donation pool to last for quite a while. We could probably even get more than one GAF server setup.

Kaper

3 knife kills back to back to back. Feels good, man. Of course, when I stop playing with Gaf I start playing well.

LordCanti

An update for anyone that isn't current on this thread: Multiplay (a server hosting company, located here: http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/) is having a $1 per slot pre-order sale on BF3 server rentals. In other words, our server would only cost $64 a month, instead of the $100 everyone else is charging (with the exception of Gameservers, which is charging $85 or so). This gives us two additional months over what we had previously thought, with our current donation total of $403 (six months compared to four).

During this beta, it would be great if everyone could hop on some multiplay servers and try them out (filter the list with the word "multiplay" and it should come up. Also filter by region, so you make sure to get on an NA server). It would be even better if you guys could hop on some Multiplay servers in Virginia (located by the letters "VA" in the server title) as that is the most likely location of the server right now.

For what it's worth, I was able to get on 64 player Caspian servers while they were still up, and the performance seemed very high to me. I've been on 32 player Metro servers as well, and I didn't encounter any bugs that seemed to be server specific (the Beta is pretty buggy, so it's hard to tell sometimes).

We've got ten days until the beta is over, and it's fair to say that we've got that long to figure out which hosting company would be the best to go with. Your help is appreciated.

1stStrike

Banned
LordCanti said:
An update for anyone that isn't current on this thread: Multiplay (a server hosting company, located here: http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/) is having a $1 per slot pre-order sale on BF3 server rentals. In other words, our server would only cost $64 a month, instead of the $100 everyone else is charging (with the exception of Gameservers, which is charging $85 or so). This gives us two additional months over what we had previously thought, with our current donation total of $403 (six months compared to four).

During this beta, it would be great if everyone could hop on some multiplay servers and try them out (filter the list with the word "multiplay" and it should come up. Also filter by region, so you make sure to get on an NA server). It would be even better if you guys could hop on some Multiplay servers in Virginia (located by the letters "VA" in the server title) as that is the most likely location of the server right now.

For what it's worth, I was able to get on 64 player Caspian servers while they were still up, and the performance seemed very high to me. I've been on 32 player Metro servers as well, and I didn't encounter any bugs that seemed to be server specific (the Beta is pretty buggy, so it's hard to tell sometimes).

We've got ten days until the beta is over, and it's fair to say that we've got that long to figure out which hosting company would be the best to go with. Your help is appreciated.

The concensus so far is to go with multiplay (VA is fine). We were chatting about it on mumble earlier and nobody has as of yet raised any concerns about going with multiplay, so I'd go ahead and order it before the pre-order sale is over with.

Man this beta is so much more enjoyable with a few people who knows what they are doing, a few great games with Spookie and Norua. Not so enjoyable playing against Tattooth, stop shooting me dammit.

scogoth

Updated the NA East roster, people should be in now and I've sent friend requests to all members

Edit: Damn don't play for one day and fall off the leader boards

froliq

Just applied for the west europe platoon.

Glad to see my cpu is doing well enough, but I think I'll need to upgrade to a quad soon :(

36 donors for $427!

If anyone wants to make the North America West Platoon (or any of the others), feel free to and let me know so I can update the OP.

scogoth

Is anyone one of the following on Battlelog:
SP2000
JHF0603921337
Gunbladeprime
miamijaaz
Starbuck44
MonkeeKing36

Don't know who they are and if no one claims to be them I will remove them NA East Platoon

LordCanti

Know what's great about Battlelog? You can get PM'd by someone and not notice until you log in twelve hours later.

Sorry to anyone that PM'd me and never got a response.

LordCanti said:
Know what's great about Battlelog? You can get PM'd by someone and not notice until you log in twelve hours later.

Yeah, REALLY need a better way to keep track of messages when in-game. Maybe an option to turn on Battlelog notifications or something?

Up to $433! Thanks, Norua!

AndyD

aka andydumi
There are notifications, a little popup comes up when people log on off, play the game you are in and send you messages. The question is whether you take your eyes off the battlefield to read the little message.

Deadly

LordCanti said:

Also you can't adjust the time. It's probably stuck on GMT or something...

LordCanti

AndyD said:
There are notifications, a little popup comes up when people log on off, play the game you are in and send you messages. The question is whether you take your eyes off the battlefield to read the little message.

I don't get pop-ups at all. All I get is a little window on the bottom bar of battlelog, with the persons name. Sometimes I don't even get those until I log back into battlelog, which makes things really difficult.

Oh well, maybe they'll fix it while they're attempting to plug all of Battlelog's security vulnerabilities.

AndyD said:
I get a little popup on the bottom right, and it says so an so is now playing BF3 or wahtever game.

I get the game joined pop-up, but not PM's for some reason. Not sure why :/

AndyD

aka andydumi
I get a little popup on the bottom right, and it says so an so is now playing BF3 or wahtever game.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
Shit. Branzone has a year-long special deal on 64 player servers: $600 for a full year.

A little out of our reach and I'm fine with multiplay, but just putting it out there.

We'd be saving $15 a month, but we'd also run the risk of their servers and customer support being crap, and us being stuck with them for an entire year.

I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

It seems to also only be for a Chicago server, I think.

Menelaus said:
Still voting for Multiplay.

In the CM teamspeak today, they said we'll have to readd all our friends on release and recreate all platoons.

FUN.

Meh.

Menelaus

Banned
Still voting for Multiplay.

In the CM teamspeak today, they said we'll have to readd all our friends on release and recreate all platoons.

FUN.

scogoth

LordCanti said:
We'd be saving $15 a month, but we'd also run the risk of their servers and customer support being crap, and us being stuck with them for an entire year.

I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

It seems to also only be for a Chicago server, I think.

YES =)

The following need to PM me:
SP2000
JHF0603921337
Gunbladeprime
Starbuck44
MonkeeKing36

The above are going to be taken off NA East platoon and I'm going to start verifying new applicants are indeed GAF members. To make sure I can verify you are a GAF member make sure you have posted somewhere in GAF. If you have no posts or I can't find your name posted anywhere in GAF please PM me so can get you added to the platoon.

gillFTR

How about the gaf platoon be invite for people who donate aswell, dont know just throwing it out there( a little more incentive to donate).

Had some good games Lord Canti, I like how that guy shutup when I dropped a 50 bomb while attacking and going for MCOM's. Can't wait for to play conquest again.

LordCanti

gillFTR said:
How about the gaf platoon be invite for people who donate aswell, dont know just throwing it out there( a little more incentive to donate).

Assuming that they don't raise the cap from 100, I guess that would be a nice extra incentive. I'm still not sure what they're doing with platoons, and I have no idea why there is a 100 person cap, but if that is something people want, it shouldn't be too hard to set up.

Top Bottom