• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Nabs

You can have multiple talk buttons in Mumble. A normal PTT button, and a whisper/shout button that can broadcast to any room on the server. We could easily split up into rooms and still be able to get things to the others on the team. I could come up with a simple tutorial when we get closer to release.

Heh. We (Me, Cuban, vert) tested it out a while back. We made it more complicated than we needed, thinking we'd have legit squad leaders. Guess we have nothing to worry about.

Spl1nter

Nabs said:
You can have multiple talk buttons in Mumble. A normal PTT button, and a whisper/shout button that can broadcast to any room on the server. We could easily split up into rooms and still be able to get things to the others on the team. I could come up with a simple tutorial when we get closer to release.

Heh. We (Me, Cuban, vert) tested it out a while back. We made it more complicated than we needed, thinking we'd have legit squad leaders. Guess we have nothing to worry about.

In TS2 for BF2 I had setup keys for talking to squad (channel), commanding officers (separate channel), and other squad leaders (specific people in different channels). Also keys for moving to those different channels. The shit you need when you are playing with 32 other people.

I guess spotting will be allowed on the gaf server. But it would be nice to have days without spotting. It really changes the game in a positive way.

Menelaus

Banned
Honestly, the only thing I'm not crazy about is the 40% less health. Sounds perfect had they left health alone, but I'm thinking that the damage will be more in line with the beta (thanks to the damage bug).

Menelaus

Banned
Various sources from the net. Demize said health is 40% lower in a tweet, Bach said that it's Squad Leader spawning only...I don't have a full list to share, unfortunately.

No worries :)

Depending on how they've changed the damage, 40% less could be really good. I think we'll have to try out both modes and then do a vote for what we have.

Menelaus

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
No worries :)

Depending on how they've changed the damage, 40% less could be really good. I think we'll have to try out both modes and then do a vote for what we have.
No change in damage according to demize!

Pennybags

Oh dear, just had a terrible thought.

Hopefully the Karkand maps can be put into a normal server rotation unlike the Vietnam BC2 expansion.

I pray the "expansion" part of Karkand just refers to the ability to get new guns for the entire multiplayer and the unique vehicles on the maps themselves.

Menelaus

Banned
There was a screenshot of Battlelog long ago that showed a separate checkbox for Karkand maps. I wouldn't hold your breath.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Logitech 518 - the official mouse of BF3-GAF.

41BQVE1SXZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Be sure to put your ear really close to it, and have your mind blown.

Some of you know what I'm talking about. I still love it though.

Nabs said:

if its too complicated i can draft up a new flowchart format if possible for the room structure.

Menelaus said:
The mumble room will have more depth than all of BF3 combined.
we werent going to even use mumble for public GAF server use originally, it started out as a thing for just us current mumble bros to mess around with.

then I heard the BF3 ingame VOIP wasn't going to be implemented at all, seeing as that battlelog party chat is a shitty compressed and latency/connection ridden mess... then I realized that mumble could be viable replacement for BF3's lack of sustainable ingame persistent VOIP.

whether those of you who who aren't familiar with mumble are willy to try this out though.. is a different story and a whole different can of worms all together.

Menelaus

Banned
I would think, for ease of use, you'd want 8 rooms per team for squad chat, and then you'd want full team chat. Having a lobby or whatnot seems kinda pointless.

Spl1nter

Menelaus said:
I would think, for ease of use, you'd want 8 rooms per team for squad chat, and then you'd want full team chat. Having a lobby or whatnot seems kinda pointless.

lobby is always important. I think it should be named 'the mess hall'

there are simpler approaches for easy talking that we can consider. dont you worry about that, the advanced options are in development and can be refined.

But its juts a matter of testing with real people on real game-nights to see whats more fitting, serious rooms and administrative chat levels for the dailies or quick and easy access for simpler approaches to team chat which can appeal to weekenders.

of course you could try both, or a hybrid if that's something that testing reveals to be more viable to become more accepted.

Spl1nter

Cuban Legend said:
there are simpler approaches for easy talking that we can consider. dont you worry about that, the advanced options are in development and can be refined.

But its juts a matter of testing with real people on real game-nights to see whats more fitting, serious rooms and administrative chat levels for the dailies or quick and easy access for simpler approaches to team chat which can appeal to weekenders.

of course you could try both, or a hybrid if that's something that testing reveals to be more viable to become more accepted.

I think you want to keep it pretty open and accessible for any randoms that may join

fin

Another $20 to the server. Cant wait to start playing. Any word we we can start the pre-load on Origin?

Blackface

Banned
scogoth said:
CMStorm Sentinel Advance, my personal fav. Highly customizable.

intro1.jpg

I bought this mouse when it came out, and it was a broken piece of shit. The tracking censor would not work on anything except one surface that they sold. Even then it was buggy as hell.

They said they were going to upgrade the firmware to fix it, I waited two weeks and took it back.

If they fixed all the problems with it, it would have been a fantastic mouse. I assume they did.

Spl1nter

Megalodactyl said:
I want to find the motherfucker who took Megalodactyl and take it from him.

Seriously, that's my fucking name.

Just change it to M3ga1odac7y. so much cooler, much more pro, just trust me.

Nabs

Megalodactyl said:
I want to find the motherfucker who took Megalodactyl and take it from him.

Seriously, that's my fucking name.
Maybe you registered that username to a diff. email a while back

Spl1nter said:
Just change it to M3ga1odac7y. so much cooler, much more pro, just trust me.

I'm shocked you didn't go with Spl1nt3r. Nevermind, I just searched and there are many Spl1nter/Spl1nt3r accounts. Wow

Spl1nter

Nabs said:
I'm shocked you didn't go with Spl1nt3r. Nevermind, I just searched and there are many Spl1nter/Spl1nt3r accounts. Wow

yes its quite scary, although quite a few of those are probably some of my random EA personas.

Deadly

Does changing your origin ID change your soldier name too? In my account there's a Master ID and Battlefield ID =/

Deadly said:
Does changing your origin ID change your soldier name too? In my account there's a Master ID and Battlefield ID =/

My Origin name was mnfvsddffghd or something llike that and my ingame soldier name was PjotrStroganov. I changed my Origin name to PjotrStroganoff (it didn't accept PjotrStroganov, so be it) and it seems to have only replaced the main origin name.

How the game came to choose PjotrStroganov is a mystery to me but that's the name I wanted anyway.

I'm happy that I finally have a recognizable name again.

mxgt

Banned
Thanks for the ID changer, was hoping for something like that to come along. Changed my ID to mxgtGAF if anyone wants to add.

LordCanti

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Any news on the reserve slots or server information?

Sever more days to go!!!! :)

The reserved slot list should be up on day one, assuming that the admin tools are all up and running. The server should also be up on day one, according to our host. Whether that means early in the day, or late in the day, no one knows for sure at this point.

Obviously, this is all dependent on the EA master servers holding up under the load on launch day. If they don't, be prepared to play a lot of single player that day :p

Sorry guys, been super busy the last few days. I updated the donor list on the blog (got a donation from someone who didn't leave a name, btw), we're at around 45 donors now.

I can update the list with the latest name/ID changes, but given that we'll be using Battlelog platoons, I wonder if we can't work out an easier system.

Top Bottom