• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Pennybags said:
Do we have force spawn? Idleness is just a lack of input, isn't it? Wouldn't someone still be able to click around the deployment screen?

Hmm, haven't found anything on that in the current iteration of the admin tools.

Mic is recommended, but you don't have to.

I won't always be in Mumble when I play. Sometimes I listen to podcasts/music as I play, or my girlfriend will be watching/playing something which my shouting would ruin, or I might just not feel like talking etc.

lazybones18 said:
I do my part to win >_>

I'll get a headset tomorrow
I'm just saying, spending anywhere from 40-60+ dollars on a PC BF game without spending 5-15 bucks on a mic seems like a douche move to me if you want to be an effective team player. -> that's only if you actually want to be a team player, if you dont want to be a team player + you don't use a mic at all and have the ability to speak well then you're just a douche imo.

I mean, i know BF3 PC has text chat, but why the hell should i have to stop what I'm doing in the middle of a game to type something unless I'm an admin, especially when all I should be able to do it hold a button on my keyboard/mouse to just speak it to you?

Cuban Legend said:
I'm just saying, spending anywhere from 40-60+ dollars on PC BF3 without spending 5-15 bucks on a mic seems like a douche move to me. -> that's only if you actually want to be a team player, if you dont want to be a team player + you don't use a mic at all and have the ability to speak well then you're just a douche imo.

I mean, i know BF3 PC has text chat, but why the hell should i have to stop what I'm doing in the middle of a game to type something unless I'm an admin?

*Looks up* Hi. So, just how tall is it? -- Been playing BF since '42. Never used a mic. Never had any issues communicating with my team. But I have nothing against people having options.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Ah, I was referring to your horse. High horse. It was a joke.
let me do you a favor
you-suck-mcbain-oz15d.gif

I was referring to your joke, I didn't get it. But instead of posting the usual gif I posted the reaction to the... oh nevermind, It was a joke.

Edit:
Foliorum Viridum said:
Mic is recommended, but you don't have to.

I won't always be in Mumble when I play. Sometimes I listen to podcasts/music as I play, or my girlfriend will be watching/playing something which my shouting would ruin, or I might just not feel like talking etc.
why not just do what Nabs an I do.

I used to only use WMP for music and had an Autohotkey script a friend made so i could control WMP while ingame with hotkeys.

Now i use Winamp, it uses less memory, has better visualizations, I imported my music folder in no time, and Winamp has global hotkeys built in, and they wont get banned by Punkbuster like Autohotkey did.
ss-2011-10-23_18.34.21g4xk.png

scogoth

Cuban Legend said:
I'm just saying, spending anywhere from 40-60+ dollars on a PC BF game without spending 5-15 bucks on a mic seems like a douche move to me if you want to be an effective team player. -> that's only if you actually want to be a team player, if you dont want to be a team player + you don't use a mic at all and have the ability to speak well then you're just a douche imo.

I mean, i know BF3 PC has text chat, but why the hell should i have to stop what I'm doing in the middle of a game to type something unless I'm an admin, especially when all I should be able to do it hold a button on my keyboard/mouse to just speak it to you?

Yeah but then you have to listen to Spl1nter.... I mean Spl1nt3rZ

scogoth said:
Yeah but then you have to listen to Spl1nter.... I mean Spl1nt3rZ
hey, i'm not one to usually say this but ... that's like getting an inside look at what a guy who tops the scoreboard thinks and says. It's like free lessons, he should charge us all.

scogoth

Cuban Legend said:
hey, i'm not one to usually say this but ... that's like getting an inside look at what a guy who tops the scoreboard thinks and says. It's like free lessons, he should charge us all.

O_O

Don't inflate his ego! It's big enough as it is! This combined with the leafs winning will make him sing sweet caroline 12 hours a day....

Cuban Legend said:
why not just do what Nabs an I do.

I used to only use WMP for music and had an Autohotkey script a friend made so i could control WMP while ingame with hotkeys.

Now i use Winamp, it uses less memory, has better visualizations, I imported my music folder in no time, and Winamp has global hotkeys built in, and they wont get banned by Punkbuster like Autohotkey did.
ss-2011-10-23_18.34.21g4xk.png
Honestly? Because I don't want to. When I want to listen something I'll just not be on mic, and when I feel like talking I'll be on mic. ;)

I'm expecting to put a ridiculous amount of hours into this game, and I anticipate that probably over half the time I play I won't be on mic.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Honestly? Because I don't want to. When I want to listen something I'll just not be on mic, and when I feel like talking I'll be on mic. ;)

I'm expecting to put a ridiculous amount of hours into this game, and I anticipate that probably over half the time I play I won't be on mic.
im not talking about being on mic or not, at least if you've in mumble you can hear us even if you dont talk.

to me playing BF on a server where nobody uses VOIP feels completely detached from the expereince ever since I started using VOIP/mumble.... to each his own.

I've never really been on mic playing CS/CoD/BF43/BC2/L4D etc and I've done just fine.

I have a lot more incentive to play on Mumble because I know a lot of GAFers who I talk to in other games and I'm sure I'm going to get friendly with a lot more due to this server, but online FPS have always been a chill out game for me in a way. Nice just to have some time with a good album/podcast on. Doesn't mean I'm not working towards the objective! :)

I'll still abuse you via text when you kill me repeatedly!

Nabs

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm self-conscious about my Welsh accent. People expect me to sound like Tom Jones. :(
Is that why you don't hang out in the Mumble server? What's the worst that could happen? Maybe we'll force you to make a youtube video or two, big deal.

But honestly, you should have some tea with us sometime.

scogoth

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've never really been on mic playing CS/CoD/BF43/BC2/L4D etc and I've done just fine.

I have a lot more incentive to play on Mumble because I know a lot of GAFers who I talk to in other games and I'm sure I'm going to get friendly with a lot more due to this server, but online FPS have always been a chill out game for me in a way. Nice just to have some time with a good album/podcast on. Doesn't mean I'm not working towards the objective! :)

How in the world do you play L4D without voice? It makes the game soooooo much more fun and involved when your talk with teammates.

And I don't think anyone will mind the welsh accent, at least its not scottish.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm self-conscious about my Welsh accent. People expect me to sound like Tom Jones. :(
Sanjay and some others has an English accent and he always says words we are like WTF so we mess with him about it but it goes both ways, its friendly lolstuff, not fear mongering racist shit.

scogoth said:
512x128 For banners. Do we want rules or just GAF logo and server name?
ill work the logo and name into the mockup and see how that floats with the community if at all. gimme a bit

scogoth

Foliorum Viridum said:
I was joking about the accent :p

I use Mumble when I play with GAFers, but 90% of the time I'm pubbing it in L4D. Nobody uses voice chat there.

I always find be the first to talk and others follow. But only in L4D or TF2, other games pubbies never talk.

JackEtc

Foliorum Viridum said:
On a semi-related note, is anyone gonna get pissed off at my 17 year-old teenager voice? I don't really like talking in multiplayer games (unless it's with RL friends), because I get shit for it constantly :(

scogoth

JackEtc said:
On a semi-related note, is anyone gonna get pissed off at my 17 year-old teenager voice? I don't really like talking in multiplayer games (unless it's with RL friends), because I get shit for it constantly :(

Have I heard you on mumble? If you were talking during beta then no. No one on mumble during beta had an annoying voice.

JackEtc

scogoth said:
Have I heard you on mumble? If you were talking during beta then no. No one on mumble during beta had an annoying voice.
I never went into Mumble for the beta =\

Only GAF people I talk with are guys in the TF2 server, and they seem to not care.

Cuban Legend said:
Sanjay and some others has an English accent and he always says words we are like WTF so we mess with him about it but it goes both ways, its friendly lolstuff, not fear mongering racist shit.
It's okay, I give Acrid grief in F1 for say twat as tw-art.

Damn crazy Yanks.

scogoth

JackEtc said:
I never went into Mumble for the beta =\

Only GAF people I talk with are guys in the TF2 server, and they seem to not mind.

Its fine as long as people have PTT on and keep music downish if you play it through speakers. Nothing more embarrassing then, "Ok mom I'll be down in a second, just have to own some noobs here!"

JackEtc

scogoth said:
Its fine as long as people have PTT on and keep music downish if you play it through speakers. Nothing more embarrassing then, "Ok mom I'll be down in a second, just have to own some noobs here!"
LOL, nah, I always keep PTT on and use headphones. It's more just my voice isn't exactly the deepest in the world. Not pre-pubescent or anything, but definitely not super deep.

scogoth

JackEtc said:
LOL, nah, I always keep PTT on and use headphones. It's more just my voice isn't exactly the deepest in the world. Not pre-pubescent or anything, but definitely not super deep.

Well unless you talk like celine dion sings there shouldn't be a problem lol. No one is going be upset because your talk in mumble. We will be upset if you don't!

JackEtc

scogoth said:
Well unless you talk like celine dion sings there shouldn't be a problem lol. No one is going be upset because your talk in mumble. We will be upset if you don't!
Dammit, I've been found out!

Lol, alright, sounds good then! I'll see you all in there.

scogoth

JackEtc said:
Dammit, I've been found out!

Lol, alright, sounds good then! I'll see you all in there.
If you talk like celine dion then we have a career for you in vegas! But before that please go into the sc2 mumble on wednesdays and sing lovefool by the cardigans.

JackEtc said:
as long as you don't sound like this then you're ok.

If you sound like that then I'll mute you personally. IM DEAD SERIOUS.

Just donated and reporting for duty. I suck, but I'll be a grunt and defend the shit out of something.

pete_townshend | cokelly

I'm in the NA Central region

LordCanti

Good God the thread moved fast in a day. I watched a little
nine straight hours
football, and there was an entire full page of posts.

This may have been answered already, but I'm pretty sure we can force spawns.

Did I hear correctly about us being allowed a banner? If so, it should definitely have the basic rules on it, if there is space.

Mr. Snrub said:
49 donors and $579.42 raised!

We're going to Disney World! That should pay for a lot of months!

Top Bottom