• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Menelaus

Banned
I just ordered an i5 2500k, mobo, and ram for store pickup tomorrow.

WHAT HAVE I DONE? This game has now cost me almost $500.

edit: well over, now that i redo my math!

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
I just ordered an i5 2500k, mobo, and ram for store pickup tomorrow.

WHAT HAVE I DONE? This game has now cost me almost $500.

edit: well over, now that i redo my math!

This isn't the GIF I wanted
I wanted one from the same series with a guy frying his computer trying to fix it
but this is close enough.

cMOhY.gif

I'm currently out five or so hundred. $330 for a GTX 580, $100 for a PSU to run it, and $40 for the game.

I was going to fully upgrade my PC, but my TV (which I use as a monitor) decided to develop the nasty habit of image retention. Now I'm going to buy a new one soon-ish.

scogoth

Cuban Legend said:
my first PC cost me $2000 just for the case and everything in it.

BEAT THAT. (circa late-2006)

I can but I lost count after $2000. Circa the hot as hell era (i7-930 and 2x GTX470s)

LordCanti

I've never spent $2000 on anything.

Oh wait, student loans. FML.

(Snrub, you around? I'm hearing a distinct lack of laughter from you about that PM I sent.)

LordCanti

scogoth said:
I defy anyone to have a PC that runs hotter! GPUs at 98C under load!

My HD4850 topped 100c when I still had it. That is the main reason I upgraded to this GTX 580. Had the 4850 run cool and quiet, I probably would have just suffered through the low framerates.

scogoth said:
....I've been out classed. If i run fur mark I can get them to hit max TDP at 105

That temp was idle, sadly. I couldn't play games with it at the end. I changed the thermal paste and everything, but it just wouldn't cool off. It was so noisy that I just couldn't take it anymore lol.

scogoth

LordCanti said:
My HD4850 topped 100c when I still had it. That is the main reason I upgraded to this GTX 580. Had the 4850 run cool and quiet, I probably would have just suffered through the low framerates.

....I've been out classed. If i run fur mark I can get them to hit max TDP at 105

abuC

Cuban Legend said:
in this day and age? DID YOU USE THE GAF THREAD?

Because if you did you'd only be spending from 1,000 to 1,500 and your PC would blow my $2000 2006-POS out of the water.

Well, Im running SLI 580s (the 3072 versions), got them 20% off though so that's a plus. I went more with what the Overclock.net people were saying than GAF, I haven't had a new PC in 8 years, so I went with a bit of excess.

I should be ok until Maxwell comes out though.

squidyj

scogoth said:
I can but I lost count after $2000. Circa the hot as hell era (i7-930 and 2x GTX470s)

Sounds about right to what I built back in the day, STUPIDLY I might add. Sure the SLI 8800 GTXs were nice as was the sexy as hell 26 inch display but why oh why did I ever put down money for an x6800?

I think I went something like 1k ish on my latest build although I sort of built it with a mind to upgrade somewhat. Got an i7 970 off of the Intel Retail Edge program, alongside their 160gb SSD. That and a GTX 570 looking to upgrade to a 680 or 7970 or whatever will be good when we do a full node jump.

updated info about dedicated servers (note info on the 3rd party anti-cheat providers):

RSPs

The game server machines themselves will be run by a number of Ranked Server Provider (RSP) companies. We do not allow other companies to run game servers, or for other people to run game servers from home.
We try to strike a balance where there are game servers available across the globe, while still keeping the number of RSPs at a level where we can offer reasonable support to each individual company. Since we prefer to work with larger hosting companies, and we focus on countries where we have a larger player base, there will not be game servers available in every country on the planet.
The list of RSPs which will run BF3 game servers at launch is not ready yet. Once it is, we will publilalalala widely.

Server administrators

While the RSPs run the physical machines, most if not all will be paid for and administered by the players themselves – individuals, groups of friends, or clans.
A server administrator control some aspects of the play experience – which maps are being played, which people are allowed onto the server, and can also affect the play style through various direct and indirect controls. Generally speaking, servers that are administered by reasonable admins attract players, while servers which have arbitrary rules imposed see less traffic.

Ranked vs Unranked

One of the biggest choices which a server administrator has to make is, whether to run the server in Ranked or Unranked mode.
In Ranked mode, player progression is tracked on EAs master servers. Weapons are unlocked by playing the game. Player progression is also visible on Battlelog. The server administrators will have to abide by the Battlefield Rules of Conduct.
In Unranked mode, player progression is not tracked on the master servers. Server administrators have free reign on such servers – no Battlefield Rules of Conduct to heed. They can control in detail which weapons are available to the players, etc. This mode is suited to playing clan matches, tournaments, or to those players who just like the fairness of everyone having the same range of weapons available to them.

PunkBuster

BF3 will use PunkBuster as its anti-cheat system. Game servers that run in ranked mode are required to have PunkBuster active.
There have been problems with the PunkBuster screenshot mechanism under DirectX 10/11 in the past. However, we have collaborated with EvenBalance to make screenshots function reliably with DX10/DX11 in BF3.

Third party anti-cheat organizations

There are several community initiatives against cheating. These initiatives are usually volunteer organizations that maintain their own databases with cheaters. They do both manual work - reviewing screenshots, game recordings, and other cheating evidence – and also implement automated systems.
It is up to each individual server administrator whether to join with one or more of these organizations.

While not officially partnering with these organizations, we try to ensure that BF3 works well with their systems in time for the launch.
The biggest three organizations that support Battlefield games are PBBans (PBBans | Always Quality over Quantity), GGC-Stream (GGC-Stream / News) and PunksBusted (PunksBusted.com Sponsored by Ventrilo). There are also several smaller organizations around.

Server administration interface

BF3 will support a Remote Administration interface similar to that of BFBC2. The basic protocol will be the same, but commands differing a bit.
There is a plethora of tools available that can talk to the remote admin interface. We are in contact with several of the developers who created tools for BFBC2, and will aid them in adding support for BF3. If you have developed a BFBC2 remote admin tool which is popular (used on >100 game servers), send me a PM.
The protocol itself is still under constant revision. Expect the protocol to be published by the time that the retail game is released.

Smokey

Will be joining NA platoon!

And on PC costs....I'm sure my total setup is over $2,500. Hell, just my GPUs cost more than half of that. It's better not to think about it lol

Orgun

Tried to log into the battlelog, 'Your account is not allowed' aww that hurts Dice

edit: Ah, guess you have to have BF3 installed

scogoth

There is no general GAF platoon. Do we want one for server admins and regional leaders?

EDIT: for NA East I'll get a emblem up as soon as battle log stabilizes and lets me make one.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Just wanted to say thanks to Canti and Snrub for their work on the blog and server! Can't wait to hit it.

No problem. It sucks that our server isn't on the server browser list yet, but at least we'll have admins by the time the game actually launches.

Posting this again for the bottom of the page:

All admins need to sign up for a multiplay account here: https://www.multiplay.co.uk/login?ref=/account/edit

And then PM the e-mail address you used to sign up. That is how you'll get admin credentials.

Our server is up, but it hasn't populated onto the server list yet. I don't know when that will occur. Step one is getting admins their access.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So the Neogaf server is not up yet right? I've tried searching for NeoGAF Official Community Server, but it is not found.

Menelaus

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
rough draft #6, now in accurate splash screen dimensions:
bf3-gaf_rules_draftv6xfsp.png
lose the drop shadow, totally unnecessary on a plain background, makes it harder to read.

also, still not understanding the importance of imitating a clan/admin. do people really do that?

A.Romero

Alright guys, I just donated towards the Server fund...

Also, I created a Platoon for NeoGAF people in Mexico. The name is [GAF] NeoGAF Mexico.

I guess people in our timezone would do well in joining as well.

Looking forward to playing with you!

Edit: My Origin ID is Weymaster

LordCanti

Cuban Legend said:
rough draft #6, now in accurate splash screen dimensions:
bf3-gaf_rules_draftv6xfsp.png

I hate to say this, but I don't see anywhere to upload a banner/splash screen O_O

Other than that, it still has the e-mail (we've got a form for people to fill out on the site now) and it's a bit cramped.

There has been no change since my earlier post guys: The server is still not listed on the server browser. Snrub submitted a ticket asking why (though the answer is likely "because the game doesn't launch till tomorrow") so maybe it will be resolved sometime today.

Chances are it won't be available till the game is actually out though.

There are a few admins left that need to read my previous post

Spl1nter

No operation metro in server rotation. It is only 3 points in conquest 64. The worst map ever in a battlefield game and completely imbalanced.

Top Bottom