• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Nabs

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I didn't even hear anyone talking using Mumble last night. I had it setup correctly.

I'm so horribly, but I love the game so much.

Actually I'm good at repair, vehicle strikes, and gunner positions. Driving anything besides a tank (and even then)...not so much. lol

I don't know about that, bro. Test it again tonight. If you don't hear anything, type something in the chat and ask someone to say something. Double check your output.

PS: A room is never silent when Cuban and Spl1nter are both there

commish said:
I must be going crazy... thought I already posted.

Anyway, signed up for GAF east, hopefully there's a spot. Also will donate to the cause. Name is tstarks33, though I'm trying to change it to commish33. Is there a way to change a BF3 name? I changed my Origin name, but it doesn't seem to have carried over to BF3...

If you ever find out let me know...my BF3 name is ysbball812 but nobody knows who the hell that is. I thought about emailing them but I can't find that option

Smokey

The Origin name change should move over to all of your titles. I was dboythagr9 (lol) and changed mine to Smokeygaf the other day with no issues. It could be because the servers are getting hammered.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Smokey said:
The Origin name change should move over to all of your titles. I was dboythagr9 (lol) and changed mine to Smokeygaf the other day with no issues. It could be because the servers are getting hammered.

What the F does that name mean?!

alphaNoid

Banned
I sent in a join request to NeoGAF NA WEST yesterday but no response? I see others have been added.

EA account = superNoid

Also, I'm looking to add some friends to play with, I'm a long time BF player dating back to 1942, BF2 etc.. Please add me if you are interested. I can usually only get on later at night PST, but I do nightly.

Smokey

commish said:
What the F does that name mean?!

During the BF3 Alpha I was so excited to get in that I put in dboythgr9 instead of dboythagr8. I was forced to eat it through the alpha and beta, but was finally able to wipe away that stench the other day and just went to smokeygaf lol

Smokey said:
Everyone should change their name to coincide with their GAF usernames.

It's really confusing at the moment, haha.

scogoth

NEOGAF NA EAST PLATOON IS FULL

Thinking about creating NA East 2 but don't really want to split them up. For now please become a fan of NA East Platoon.

commish

scogoth said:

Thinking about creating NA East 2 but don't really want to split them up. For now please become a fan of NA East Platoon.

Thanks mate.

Usually after a week or two, it'll become clear that some people don't intend to play in the platoon and can be dropped. That's how every GAF clan works :) Everyone signs up, then only a smaller amount actually play.

Looking forward to some games today!

Gav47

Time for a break. Had a really good match on Seine Crossing, 23 kills with the 870MCS.
I think I prefer the smaller maps, I always feel like I should be playing Engineer on the larger maps because you run into tanks so often.

Okay, so I've been wrangling with the best way to keep track of gaffers and make the listing available. Currently, we have what is essentially a BF3 social networking tool in Battlelog and I think we should take full advantage of it. It's much easier to simply look up a GAF platoon and add friends from there, rather than having an OP (that needs to be manually maintained) with a list of users that you have to copy and paste into Battlelog.

Now, the disadvantages to relying purely on Battlelog are:

-Battlelog/Soldier names are not always the same as GAF name
-Harder to make sure that actual gaffers are requesting to join the platoon

Here is what I propose...let me know if anything sounds off or I'm missing something.

-We do away with the OP list of contacts completely and use Battlelog Platoons for GAF contacts
-If a platoon fills up, we make a second "version". For instance, NeoGAF NA East is currently full. We can make a second platoon called "NeoGAF NA East II" or 2 or something

Tricky part is matching up the Battlelog Soldier with a gaffer. We could:

-Ask applicants to put their GAF username in their profile. We could then just run a simple search for "Battlefield 3 + username" in GAF to "verify"
-Ask applicants to post a generic phrase like "My soldier name is WHATEVER" in the community thread before or after they apply. We can then search that exact phrase (making it easier to return the right result) and verify

The only unresolvable issue is easily matching up Soldier names with gaffers, if we rely purely on Battlelog. But I don't really feel this is an issue, as it's a mixed up clusterfuck in the first place.

Thoughts?

I haven't started playing MP yet, but I wanted to know whether the GAF server only runs 64 player Conquest, or do you have it set to play 64 player rush as well (which sucks I hear)?

Hopefully just CQ.

Spl1nter

RibbedHero said:
I haven't started playing MP yet, but I wanted to know whether the GAF server only runs 64 player Conquest, or do you have it set to play 64 player rush as well (which sucks I hear)?

Hopefully just CQ.

Just conquest. We are rational and sensible people.

That sounds right anton. (hint change your gaf name to anton)

Yaska said:
Seems like the game itself doesn't scale. Do the desktop Catalyst allow you to override scaling? As you need to override scaling in drivers or in the game itself.
Not sure. Strangely it started behaving properly late last night, but I can't explain why. I didn't do anything differently from what I had done before.

Some updates from Multiplay:

The reason for servers crashing when players are kicked by admins has been found and will be fixed in the next server release.

The workaround for the time being is to ensure that a kick reason is always used. We have update Clanforge, to ensure Live Control always does this but if your using an external tool then please ensure you specify a kick reason when kicking players to ensure your server doesn't crash

We've recieved some unconfirmed reports of users experiencing lag and rubberbanding on the Tahran Highway map.

To help us track down this issue, please post your feedback at http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/gameservers/86108-bf3-performance-feedback#post1060699 and we'll look into the reports.

Smokey

Foliorum Viridum said:
I noticed I'm always in the top 10 players. Sometimes top 5.

GAF isn't as Godly as I thought. :p

You and I had an epic session in the tank yesterday on Caspian. You were gunner. Rumbling stumbling bumbling through different capture points. When the RPGs came, I hopped out and repaired and you kept firing away. Repaired, hopped back in and kept on rumbling.

Was pretty sweet

commish

Foliorum Viridum said:
I can't fly for shit, but I like tanks a lot.

My thoughts on every BF game ever. Get me in a tank, and everything is great. In a plane? Forget it. I usually just use planes as transportation to get to a flag faster.

woober

I usually roll in GAF's server once in a while with some of my friends in a clan named GURT. FEAR US.

I'm on GAF's side when I'm alone though : )

Kyaw

Smokey said:
I imagine once the missles are unlocked for jets they wll become much more useful.

Those are unlockables..right?

Yep.

I'm doing what i can every day to get to those air to ground missiles. Pretty close to them now.

The unguided air to ground missiles are there but not so accurate or powerful enough to take out tanks from afar.

commish

ph33nix said:
If you ever find out let me know...my BF3 name is ysbball812 but nobody knows who the hell that is. I thought about emailing them but I can't find that option

Hey buddy, just change your Origin account name.

http://www.origin.com/us/change-id#

After a while, it'll change your BF3's character name. As I mentioned this morning, I changed mine to Commish33, but it only just now showed up on my BF3 page.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to get a new name!

1stStrike

Banned
Yep... I'm still better/more fond of rush. Conquest? 5 - 20. Rush? 16 - 12 and 5,300 points.

I suck either way, but at least I stand a chance in rush :p

Took out a Scout Heli with a tank on D. Peak, thank you GAF server. I'll make a donation next week, looks like I'll be playing on this server a lot due to how low the ping is (one of the lowest in my region -- 26 ping)

TekDragon

Banned
scogoth said:

:(

Fanned.

I'd much rather roll with you guys than Penny Arcade or Off Topic.

TekDragon said:
:(

Fanned.

I'd much rather roll with you guys than Penny Arcade or Off Topic.

There is a NeoGAF Gold that just started up. Since we're all going to try and play on the same server, you might as well join gold, FAN the rest of the groups and then donate/play on the community server.

LordCanti said:
Snrub, read the newest e-mail from Multiplay. What are they talking about?

The Frankfurt stuff? It was a goof. Should have only gone to people with servers in Frankfurt.

Yeah, big WTF moment there for me. E-mail says, "don't worry, we're moving your servers to Frankfurt but you shouldn't notice any difference in the quality"
lol.gif

Top Bottom