• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Had fun on the server...even though I'm terrible! Still have yet to actually get in a jet - I think I'm subconsciously avoiding the frustration I know is coming.

For anyone that cares, I'm LuvMusl in the game. Will prob be back for a bit tomorrow. Maybe actually get mumble setup and hop on to chat for a bit as well.

It's good being on a server without the constant mortar spam and over-the-top rage in the chat.

You killed me a few times. Then again, so did some of my teammates with their helicopter piloting skills!

My Battlelog Soldier is Ragekowitz. [NA West Platoon Hopeful]

TylerD

Had 4 rds in a row where my squad was the ace squad on Gaf server earlier tonight and most of the time we were all in the top 5-10.

When you get a good squad going, this game is incredible.

There are too many maps with bad choke points. Sienne, D. Peak, Metro, Bizaar. Need that expansion!

I hope there are some great maps in the pipeline in addition to Karkand expansion since Dice is so devoted to DLC for BF3.

1stStrike

Banned
scogoth said:
Couple of suggestions for jets when we start modifying the server settings:

1. Increase Jet Spawn Time to 150% or 200% - Encourages jet pilots to preserve their jets and rewards players who can land and repair. Prevents jet pilots of waiting at spawn until the jet pops up 5 sec after they die. Also gives an advantage to pilots who take down enemy aircraft by allowing them to attack ground units and help the god damn team instead of dicking around in dog fights.

2. 1st person view only - makes jet flying much more skilled and gives the advantage to the team that has ground units spotting enemy aircraft. Also makes the air radar a practical upgrade and allows jet pilots to attack ground units and help the god damn team instead of being spotted 600 miles away from 3rd person view and dicking around in dog fights.

#1: Yes

#2: No. With only first person view it becomes so much more difficult to line up shots, even against ground targets - let alone trying to find other airplanes in the sky with your limited view. Fuck that. 3rd person view for jets is a necessity. If that's removed, I won't be playing on the GAF server period and definitely won't be donating again.

Mit-

Believe me, you'd rather the planes sit up there and dogfight with each other.

Do you know why Infantry Only exists? Because planes were godlike in BF2. So godlike, that the pilots didn't even bother to shoot enemy jets down. And they had a mutual agreement. All pilots just bombed infantry units.

So instead of them trying to take care of each other AND aid the team, they just bombed the shit out of everybody constantly and made it no fun for anyone else. And came out of the rounds with scores 3-4x higher than everyone else.

Pennybags

Mit- said:
Believe me, you'd rather the planes sit up there and dogfight with each other.

Do you know why Infantry Only exists? Because planes were godlike in BF2. So godlike, that the pilots didn't even bother to shoot enemy jets down. And they had a mutual agreement. All pilots just bombed infantry units.

So instead of them trying to take care of each other AND aid the team, they just bombed the shit out of everybody constantly and made it no fun for anyone else. And came out of the rounds with scores 3-4x higher than everyone else.

Takes 3 passes for a BF3 jet with AGMs to kill a tank with full health. VERY slow reload. If someone is repairing, forget about it. Not much to worry about here.

It would be very possible to have balanced planes that are still capable of helping the ground situation. 1943 did this well, and it was a mini-title. Dumbfired bombs that took skill and some learning to use, but very consistent against tanks. They don't bother infantry, although it is still possible to shoot infantry with your gun if given enough effort.

BF3 conquest jets aren't very effective in the overall fight, but the A-10 is perfect. Too bad it's only in Rush.

Sorry if none of that is coherent. I'm tired and need sleep.

Mit-

Makes sense. I haven't flown any jets yet in BF3 myself. I don't like fighting with people who want to murder you over getting into a plane, and haven't found myself in an underpopulated server with a jet in front of me yet.

In BF2, the bombs took out everything, and the blast radius was immense. They'd easily get 5-10 kills by bombing the frontlines, and take out any vehicles stuck in there too. They'd come out of rounds with 60-70+ kills consistently.

It's probably why they're so bad against vehicles/infantry now...

1stStrike

Banned
Mit- said:
Makes sense. I haven't flown any jets yet in BF3 myself. I don't like fighting with people who want to murder you over getting into a plane, and haven't found myself in an underpopulated server with a jet in front of me yet.

In BF2, the bombs took out everything, and the blast radius was immense. They'd easily get 5-10 kills by bombing the frontlines, and take out any vehicles stuck in there too. They'd come out of rounds with 60-70+ kills consistently.

It's probably why they're so bad against vehicles/infantry now...

I found out a couple games ago that the guns do work pretty decently against infantry. If you combine a air to ground missiles + guns you'll probably disable the tank at least. I managed to get a tank kill + took out 2 people with it just using my guns. I didn't even know the tank was there - was just shooting in the middle of Hill Top lol.

fanboi

Banned
1stStrike said:
I found out a couple games ago that the guns do work pretty decently against infantry. If you combine a air to ground missiles + guns you'll probably disable the tank at least. I managed to get a tank kill + took out 2 people with it just using my guns. I didn't even know the tank was there - was just shooting in the middle of Hill Top lol.

Same here, this was me:

92a1a3ff052f22d2ca6a83257af6c3af.jpg

scogoth said:
Couple of suggestions for jets when we start modifying the server settings:

1. Increase Jet Spawn Time to 150% or 200% - Encourages jet pilots to preserve their jets and rewards players who can land and repair. Prevents jet pilots of waiting at spawn until the jet pops up 5 sec after they die. Also gives an advantage to pilots who take down enemy aircraft by allowing them to attack ground units and help the god damn team instead of dicking around in dog fights.

2. 1st person view only - makes jet flying much more skilled and gives the advantage to the team that has ground units spotting enemy aircraft. Also makes the air radar a practical upgrade and allows jet pilots to attack ground units and help the god damn team instead of being spotted 600 miles away from 3rd person view and dicking around in dog fights.

Yes on both.

I specifically mentioned your second point in the server survey. I gives the helis and the air to ground people a fighting chance.

Forcing first person view in all vehicles would be a good choice anyway.

Spl1nter said:
There are 7 people in the NeoGAF BF3 Mumble at the moment. That is the server we are now using for BF3.

64.34.202.140:6037
The channels for BF3 are now working. Feel free to enter the main team channels for all chat or if you want some privacy enter your squad's channel.

Right guys, it's my 21st today and I had my obscene drinking session last weekend, so tonight I'll be on the server and nobody is allowed to kill me. Got it? >_>

Also, Europeans are letting the server down! 2pm and nobody in it!

Glad to hear that admin control panel is close to release, also. I don't want to have to bring Clanforge up just to kick some racist.

ultron87

I really enjoyed playing last night. Rolling around with a great squad that all has voice chat is so much fun.

I've resigned myself to getting the majority of my points from healing and reviving. I think I'm okay with that.

derFeef

Foliorum Viridum said:
Right guys, it's my 21st today and I had my obscene drinking session last weekend, so tonight I'll be on the server and nobody is allowed to kill me. Got it? >_>

Also, Europeans are letting the server down! 2pm and nobody in it!

Glad to hear that admin control panel is close to release, also. I don't want to have to bring Clanforge up just to kick some racist.
Some of us need to work, man!
And congrats!

I feel old now

Smokey

Ice Raven said:
first time playing with you guys.
great fun!

ps-smokey is a camping cocksucker.
that is all.

i'd like to apply for platoon west please :)

DON'T B MAD I SNIPED DAT HEAD OFF

Loving Recon class. Picking off dudes and spotting for the rest of the team. Being able to call out what points look open and providing cover fire. Don't underestimate a Recon's importance to a team son!

Also: Ban mortars please. They break maps in their current form. Thnx

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Smokey said:
DON'T B MAD I SNIPED DAT HEAD OFF

Loving Recon class. Picking off dudes and spotting for the rest of the team. Being able to call out what points look open and providing cover fire. Don't underestimate a Recon's importance to a team son!

Also: Ban mortars please. They break maps in their current form. Thnx

Snipers are useless in nearly every FPS, BF3 included. Providing covering fire? You watch too many movies :p I hate snipers so much I made a thread about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424736

Though, as fate would have it, when I tried to level up my sniper class yesterday, you stabbed me in the face, Smokey. :) I quickly put down my sniper kit and will never pick it up again!

Smokey

commish said:
Snipers are useless in nearly every FPS, BF3 included. Providing covering fire? You watch too many movies :p I hate snipers so much I made a thread about it:

Though, as fate would have it, when I tried to level up my sniper class yesterday, you stabbed me in the face, Smokey. :) I quickly put down my sniper kit and will never pick it up again!

I know I did lol. Felt good. And I got your boy who was posted up in that SAME SPOT a few secons later. I wouldn't of even known you were there if it weren't for the amazing directional sound in my headphones. I'd think Recon class is useless too if I got stabbed in my neck.

That and splattering ICE RAVEN's brains on the wall in Brazar were the highlights of my day.

commish

Smokey said:
I know I did lol. Felt good. And I got your boy who was posted up in that SAME SPOT a few secons later. I wouldn't of even known you were there if it weren't for the amazing directional sound in my headphones. I'd think Recon class is useless too if I got stabbed in my neck.

Nah, it's pretty useless. Grab a real gun and get in the mix, soldier!

commish

ultron87 said:
I think this might be the game that makes me buy a nice headset for my PC.

Yes, Smokey is right about that - it's pretty great. I dug mine out of my moving boxes yesterday and it makes a huge difference.

Spl1nter

ultron87 said:
I really enjoyed playing last night. Rolling around with a great squad that all has voice chat is so much fun.

I've resigned myself to getting the majority of my points from healing and reviving. I think I'm okay with that.

Your were a fucking boss with those revives. Kept the squad moving and rolling as we trampled over people. One medic is a requirement for any squad.

flippeh

Loving the games played last night. I'm finding it takes me a couple games to get in the groove though, before that point I seem to play miserably.

I need to get better at remembering to revive people when playing Assault.

FinKL

Did the GAF server have Punkbuster turned off yesterday?

I only ask because my computer keeps freezing playing this game, but I managed to log 5 hours yesterday night without a hitch.

This post on the official EA boards says : "10) go out and buy a dedicated sound card. Punkbuster had conflicts with ON BOARD SOUND SHIPS / codecs in the past [or you could DISABLE YOUR ON BOARD SOUND TO TEST FIRST]"

This leads me to believe that my computer freezing/blue screening is a direct cause of Punkbuster and Sound card/driver conflicts.

Is Punkbuster off on the GAF server now? I know no1's in there but I'd like to confirm my idea?

btw, need more Grand Bazaar CQ

Just a reminder if you're applying to a platoon:

After you have applied to the platoon, please reply to this thread with the following: "My Battlelog Soldier is soldier name". Using this exact phrase will make it easy for us to search for you on GAF and match your soldier name to your GAF account and help us keep creepers out of the platoons.

Whoever is admining the platoons is free to approve as they like or use another method, but this is going to be easiest to keep platoon sizes in check.

scogoth

Anton Sugar said:
So...super duper GAF meetup tonight???
Abso-fucking-lutely

Cuban Legend said:
The channels for BF3 are now working. Feel free to enter the main team channels for all chat or if you want some privacy enter your squad's channel.

CHAPEL! Script that shit so people are moved to the appropriate squads automatically =)

commish said:

You never played BC2 did you. There was no reason to go any other class.

Anton Sugar said:
Whoever is admining the platoons is free to approve as they like or use another method, but this is going to be easiest to keep platoon sizes in check.

lol

Spl1nter said:
Your were a fucking boss with those revives. Kept the squad moving and rolling as we trampled over people. One medic is a requirement for any squad.

My vision for base team, can specialize as needed for maps (this is obviously for firestorm/caspian/kharg.......and metro)

Alpha
Medic (Commander)
Medic
Support
Engineer

Bravo
Medic (Leader)
Medic
Support
Engineer

Charlie
Medic (Leader)
Medic
Support
Engineer

Delta
Medic (Leader)
Support
Engineer - APC driver
Engineer - Stinger

Echo
Medic (Leader)
Support
Engineer - Transport heli pilot
Engineer - Stinger

Foxtrot
Recon (Leader)
Recon
Recon
Recon
OR
Medic (Leader)
Medic
Support
Engineer

Golf
Engineer - Tank Driver (Leader)
Engineer - Tank Gunner
Engineer - Tank Driver
Engineer - Tank Gunner

Hotel
Engineer - Heli Pilot
Engineer - Heli gunner
Engineer - Jet Pilot (Leader)
Engineer - Jet Pilot

Do you think we'll be able to get GAF to buy-in on organization like that? Don't get me wrong, coordination and strategy give me a boner, but I don't know how many others would enjoy it.

scogoth

Anton Sugar said:
Do you think we'll be able to get GAF to buy-in on organization like that? Don't get me wrong, coordination and strategy give me a boner, but I don't know how many others would enjoy it.

Well we are already coordinating in individual squads (mostly thanks to spl1nter) and even saw some intersquad coordination with GAF members. I'm just dreaming about the next level. I think if we have 12/16 gaffers on one team we could organize specialized squads and coordinate attack/defends.

scogoth

Foliorum Viridum said:
I want to play engineer 24/7.

Dictating what classes people should have isn't fun.

I'm not dictating your class, I'm dictating your squad. And I'm not forcing anyone to do this, I'm just sharing my vision of what would be an epic game spoke of for generations of battlefield games on a 5000tix server.

Yeah, true, but then you're dictating who you can play with etc.

I just say squads should organise themselves. If people want to switch because of a certain role, cool.

scogoth

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, true, but then you're dictating who you can play with etc.

I just say squads should organise themselves. If people want to switch because of a certain role, cool.

They never do organize themselves. Sheep need a shepard.

just applied for NA WEST. My Battlelog Soldier is viakado

Smokey said:
That and splattering ICE RAVEN's brains on the wall in Brazar were the highlights of my day.
im hunting your funny ass when you get home son. im gonna surprise and spoon you while you're on your stomach.

9kqo28.gif

Top Bottom